OtakuBoards

Diet Soda-Is it Cancerous?

Cocomi Myojin

Hey everyone
...I know this is going to be a little lame, but I want to know if Diet Soda is cancer causing, because my sister and I have had a refined debate and I want to know if this is true or not. It just does not click to me that they would be selling diet soda if it was cancerous, but then you think...they are still selling cigarettes and they are cancerous. Same goes for other toxins. Thank you in advance for any reply you may submit, because I want to get down to the bottom of this. Thank You again:)

Cocomi Myojin

Heh. There are times when it seems as though [i]everything[/i] causes cancer. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I know little about the potential health hazards presented by diet soda, so all I can do is recommend that you look it up on Google. Sorry. Hopefully, you'll be able to find a few reputable sites which deal with the subject matter in question.

I doubt that a true correllation between diet soda and cancer has ever been scientifically established. But then, I could easily be wrong.

~Dagger~

Guest rttocs77
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dagger IX1 [/i]
[B]Heh. There are times when it seems as though [i]everything[/i] causes cancer. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, it does seem that way. The real question is, what [I]hasn't[/I] been said to cause cancer?

I do know that back in the 80's there was some chemical in Tab that was causing health problems and was found to be addicting.

Guest rttocs77
Even on the Tab nowadays they have a warning below the nutrition information saying that it contains something...I think the Aspertame or something you were speaking of. Diet Coke does not have that on there though and Tab is owned by Coca-Cola. My mom was saying Tab was addicting and then they changed it and people stopped drinking it. Much like when they changed Coca-Cola to "New Coke," and then had to abrubtly change it back. They did though change the sweetner they used in the original coke when they switched back to the old coke from 'New Coke." It did not taste quite the same. Better than New Coke though.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cocomi Myojin [/i]
[B]Hey everyone
...I know this is going to be a little lame, but I want to know if Diet Soda is cancer causing, because my sister and I have had a refined debate and I want to know if this is true or not. It just does not click to me that they would be selling diet soda if it was cancerous, but then you think...they are still selling cigarettes and they are cancerous. Same goes for other toxins. Thank you in advance for any reply you may submit, because I want to get down to the bottom of this. Thank You again:)

Cocomi Myojin [/B][/QUOTE]
yeah it causes cancer, just like everything else does.

Guest cloricus
Caffeine is the only addictive substance in Coke. Yes Aspartame will cause cancer; it has been proven in rats; although it was in megadoses a day of the refined substance for a long time. I think it's something like 50 litres a day for over a year to achieve the equivalent in humans and it doesn't build up very well so it's not a worry over long periods. Hell I've had 30 litres a week for three weeks straight and I normally drink a 600ml bottle a day plus a can so all of it is crap.
[spoiler]Yes I know I'm partly addicted to caffeine.[/spoiler]

[color=deeppink]I think Transtic and cloricus hit on the actual point in saying that it's the substances in diet pop that cause cancer, not the drink as a whole. I think that it will take a decade or two longer for long-devoted diet pop drinkers to start showing any real symptoms.

I'm hopelessly addicted to Diet Coke, it's not even so much the taste that I love. I just know that when I crave Diet Coke, I need to go buy myself a bottle and drink it all really quickly. I justify this by telling myself that it's better to be addicted to that than alcohol or cigarettes...or anything else equally as destructive.[/color]

Guest cloricus
Why the diet one? Why do people buy it? It does nothing for you?re diet at all and the large amounts people drink it in basically kill off any lighter effects it has over normal coke. If you're going to be addicted be addicted to some thing decent like normal coke or cherry coke!

BTW in my post I was trying to get across the point that the doses of the stuff humans are subjected to are not sufficient enough to cause cancer.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by cloricus [/i]
[B] If you're going to be addicted be addicted to some thing decent like normal coke or cherry coke!
[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]It's the taste factor. Coke is sickeningly sweet, I can't stand drinking it. I'm sure it's the same for most people who drink Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi, too. I don't think anyone can deny being able to taste the difference between diet and regular...it's just too vast.

Then again, Coke products taste different depending on what country you're in. Diet Coke in Australia tastes different that a can you'll get in, say, Spain. I'm not sure why I find this to be relevant to mention, but that's some random trivia you now know if you didn't already :whoops:[/color]

[color=#707875]Well, I'm a pretty avid Coca-Cola drinker. And I can't say that I've ever had dental problems from it, or weight problems, or anything of that sort. Then again, I do make sure to take care of myself.

I find it funny that so many people believe that Coke is some kind of nasty toxic chemical. What is it, really? It's carbonated water with sugar, flavour additives, colour, food acid and caffine.

Maybe "food acid" is what makes people think that it's acidic...even though food acid is found in many products. Even if it were acidic, it's not nearly as powerful as the acids in your digestive system.

So, I personally think that there are many misnomas about soda drinks. Of course, they [i]aren't[/i] healthy -- no soda drink is truly healthy. But by the same token, I'd say that they are no worse than any other sugary snack or drink.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]It's the taste factor. Coke is sickeningly sweet, I can't stand drinking it. I'm sure it's the same for most people who drink Diet Coke/Diet Pepsi, too. I don't think anyone can deny being able to taste the difference between diet and regular...it's just too vast. [/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

I drink Diet for the taste as well. I can't stand regular coke, probably cause I've never drank it for long periods of time. Or cherry coke, or root beer, or Dr. Pepper unless watered down. But then again, i can't stand the taste of Diet Mountain Dew... that stuff is just nasty.

Diet Coke is good for a Diet considering the fact it has 0-1 Callorie in it and not.. whatever regular coke has... If you're one of those Callorie diet people then it matters... Or diabetics drink it alot as well, for obviosu reasons.... I drink it for the taste.

Guest rttocs77
Diet coke does not cause cancer. Period. If it did they would change it or put a warning label on it like they did with Tab.

Also, my great grandmother drank a coke every day and she lived till 102.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]But then again, i can't stand the taste of Diet Mountain Dew... that stuff is just nasty.
[/B][/QUOTE]
[color=deeppink]
Amen to that.

Moving on...pretty much everything even slightly dangerous in "unhealthy" foods is played up to extremes. But soda, or candy, etc isn't unhealthy, as long as you moderate your intake of it. Sure, it's no vitamin enriched health-nut substance, but it's not like it's going to kill you. O.o;

Although why anyone could possibly prefer Diet over Regular is beyond me. The more sugar the better. That and Caffine. Guess I'm just a sugar-freak. But the real question here is...

What was the point of Diet, Caffine-Free soda?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by KarmaOfChaos [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]
What was the point of Diet, Caffine-Free soda?

[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

Alot of people are allergic to caffine... And alot of people liek the taste of Diet Coke or have to drink Diet coke (ie: Diabetics).... therefor to fulfil there wants, Caffine free Diet Coke was made.... thats the only Diet coke my dad drinks.... I however prefer the caffine, I believe it adds a different taste to it.

Regular coke is just... blah.... I feel like I'm drinking liquid sugar... How so many people can stand that is beyond me...

The whole debate on whether or not Aspertame causes cancer was over many years ago... ifi t did cause cancer, like so many have said, it woul dhave been labeled so... and you wouldn't be seeing those pink packets on restauraunt tables either.

Whoever deleted my last post is not in good demeanor with me. My post was very appropriate. Can't anyone see humor when it hits them square in the face? I guess not. This is why I refuse to have my post deleted, and I shall revise it.

If you don't know, this poem was basically making fun of diet cola and how people seem to even care if it causes cancer. But I guess people can't see this. I'm guessing it was TN that deleted it lol.

Now if this gets deleted, then I don't see the purpose of even posting in here and being genius lol.

die it caff eine free so da
die it caff eine free so da
do da da da
and malig nant.

they drink the drink
and they die it.
and they drink the drink
and they die it.

all round me are cans
stacked in graves
and pushed aside
no expression, no expression.
no express ion.

all faces covered by cans
all faces covered by cans.

they are all die it.
they all die it.
all die it.

happy.

and they get can cer.
and they die it.
and choke.

it's in their lungs
iron.
it's in their throats
croacked.

i find it kind of funny
i find it kind of sad.

i find it hard to tell you
i find it hard to make you know.
that i drink die it.
and it kills me more each day.

went to the doctor
all the same, all the same.
he told me i'm die it.
told me i'm dying.

dadda went to the doctor
with me
we're all dying
from die it.

die it so da
die it so da.

oh my so da.
so da.
so so so so
so da.

die it so da.

[It is lacking its genius.]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B]Whoever deleted my last post is not in good demeanor with me. My post was very appropriate. Can't anyone see humor when it hits them square in the face? I guess not. This is why I refuse to have my post deleted, and I shall revise it.

If you don't know, this poem was basically making fun of diet cola and how people seem to even care if it causes cancer. But I guess people can't see this. I'm guessing it was TN that deleted it lol.

[/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875][b]I[/b] deleted your post. I deleted it because I considered it to be spam. It was kinda like that Kanojo guy who keeps responding to things with poetry. The reason why it was removed [i]should[/i] be plainly obvious; it was a piece of poetry, not a comment/discussion. We can get all technical about that, but you know what I mean.

In any case, at least you've included a little comment before it this time. I guess that's something to be happy about.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Transtic Nerve [/i]
[B]Alot of people are allergic to caffine... And alot of people liek the taste of Diet Coke or have to drink Diet coke (ie: Diabetics).... therefor to fulfil there wants, Caffine free Diet Coke was made.... thats the only Diet coke my dad drinks.... I however prefer the caffine, I believe it adds a different taste to it.

Regular coke is just... blah.... I feel like I'm drinking liquid sugar... How so many people can stand that is beyond me...
[/B][/QUOTE]
[color=deeppink]
If you wanted something that's diet with no caffine, you might as well drink juice or something. Diet Caffine-Free soda is like...nothing. Water and dye. It tastes terrible. You're trying to have a health-nut drink, and still have it be soda. It doesn't work! It's like...trying to make healthy chocolate bars. You're just deluding yourself into thinking it tastes good. x.X"

As for regular vs diet...that's just pure preference there. We'll have to agree to disagree. ^.^;;

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B][color=#707875][b]I[/b] deleted your post. I deleted it because I considered it to be spam. It was kinda like that Kanojo guy who keeps responding to things with poetry. The reason why it was removed [i]should[/i] be plainly obvious; it was a piece of poetry, not a comment/discussion. We can get all technical about that, but you know what I mean.

In any case, at least you've included a little comment before it this time. I guess that's something to be happy about.[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1] Well James, I kind of get tired of sounding like everyone else, and just saying, "Yeah, I think it doesn't cause cancer. And if it does, why even worry? You're going to die anyways?"

I like to be more obtuse. I like to have more fun with something. It puts a smile on my face and makes me happy, and I'm sure it makes others laugh as well. I don't see how it's hard to [i]not[/i] see the humor that was in my poem, but ah well. A poem is as much a discussion as anything else. As you know, writing is one of the things that matters to me the most. So of course I am not going to like that he deleted something heh.

I totally agree I should put a little sketch of what the poem is about before I post it. I guess I just wasn't thinking the first time. Well, I at least thought that it was obvious enough that I was making fun of people saying that diet coke causes cancer. But I guess some people cannot read between the lines, and nor will they enjoy my post. Ah well.

It's your site and it's your choice. So I stand by your first choice; I totally agree, I guess I should have put in a sketch of what the poem was about, at the very least. Sorry this is so off-topic lol.[/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mitch [/i]
[B][size=1]
I totally agree I should put a little sketch of what the poem is about before I post it. I guess I just wasn't thinking the first time. Well, I at least thought that it was obvious enough that I was making fun of people saying that diet coke causes cancer. But I guess some people cannot read between the lines, and nor will they enjoy my post. Ah well.

[/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Just to clarify; I didn't delete the post because your poem wasn't clear or understandable. It was. It made sense. I'm sure that the visitors at OB would have been able to understand it. It wasn't that.

I deleted it because a poem on its own really isn't the same as telling us directly what your opinion is and why you hold the opinion.

What I recommend is to use your post to give us your opinion...and then perhaps tell us that you've written a poem about it and post that in the same post. That way, you're killing two birds with one stone. It's mostly just a question of keeping things reasonable for everyone. The poem itself was fine though.

And don't worry about being off topic in this case; it's probably better that members see the discussion in public, incase they themselves are wondering what to do. ^_^[/color]