OtakuBoards

Read or Die and R.O.D the TV

Dagger

I haven't seen to much of read or die. Just the movie but that was enough for me to realize that it was a very interesting and amazing masterpiece. There were only a couple of drawing flaws in it. Some of the character's in it were... how do I say a little etchy? The main character however was perfectly fine I saw no flaws in her what so ever.

I admit it was a while back when I saw this movie though so this question might seem a little stupid but... how did the people get their powers? I'm sorry if this is an idiotic question but I really don't remember.

Overall I love this anime. Almost as much as I love Cowboy Bebop....Almost

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tidus729
i watched it it was really good iliked the whole fact that she could make papper stronger the armor and able to cut thought any thing

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]Welcome to OtakuBoards, tidus729. Please be sure to read the forum rules and work on your post quality a bit; one-sentence replies are usually unacceptable unless they demonstrate proper punctuation, capitalization and so forth. Thanks!

~Dagger~[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Read or Die is so sweet. I saw the whole thing on adult swim and I loved it. I want to by it on dvd and add it to my collection. The story line for ROD is really awesome. It had some awesome characters, especially the bad guys.

ROD did have alot of violence and that's what made it even better. There was a little fan service in it but I'm not the type of guy who likes that kind of stuff. The violence was really sweet. I have always liked anime and manga with lots of voilence in them.

If anyone out there is looking for an anime to watch i really do recommend Read or Die. I don't know if they're playing it anynore on adult swim but I know you can buy it.

• 1 month later...
Has anyone else seen this? They played the movie twice on adult Swim and I must say this is one of the best anime movies I have ever seen. There is plenty of ation and a great story, along with the most hillarious charachters ever.

Also, the show is being aired on Tech TV. Its about 3 new paper masters who are staying with this famous auther lady who was friends with Yomiko. The two older sisters of the paper masters are both obsessed with books like Yomiko, but the younger, more serious one, hates books. I think the show is great, but its kind of weird, because the three sisters are just so...... god, its like theres no words to describe them. Ill have to make up a word...... weircomplensane. (weird, complex, insane)

R.O.D The T.V. i prefer over the one they showed on adult swim just because the characters, i like them, I watch R.O.D the T.V. as much as i can, even though i just started watching it awhile ago.

After watching volume 4, I finally figured out why I originally felt so let down by the [spoiler]reunion[/spoiler] episode! Ironically, it's [i]because[/i] the new television characters are so well-developed and likeable that [spoiler]Yomiko and Nancy[/spoiler] seem sort of flat and uninteresting in comparison. This is rectified by the end of the show, but [spoiler]in that initial meeting, the three sisters (particularly the confident, brave and friendly Michelle) totally outshone Ms. Readman. They had received fourteen episodes' worth of character development, while she was only allotted three, all of which were mostly action-centric and portrayed her pre-"incident" personality.[/spoiler]

On the plus side, I love [spoiler]Yomiko's new[/spoiler] dub actress. [spoiler]This time around, she has a much deeper, softer voice and a British accent. She sounds a lot more calm and mature--which fits the character perfectly, since she was supposed to have greatly changed in the five years since the OVA.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

I just saw episodes 10 and 11 last night and Im sad because I have school now so Im gunna miss the last four episodes. I cant help but wonder about the girls being gay. I mean, if they arent really sisters they must be good friends, and Michelle hugs like everyone and after Anita's hug in episode 10 Im just not sure.

ive seen the movie on cartoon network, and it was freakin cool! i thinkn i read somewehre that it was the OVA's thrown together, but i dont care, it was freakin cool!!!
i watched it the first time on G4TV after the Gatekeepers21 OVA went off(reccoment even if u havent seen the series, i hadnt, and still havent), but im pretty annoyed with the ppl up there for not airing the entire show. i mean, WTF? theyre gonna show 11 episodes, stop with a cliffhanger, and then go onto episode 90 of some old show, i think it was soulstealer or sumtin like that. if anyone reads these boards that actually has some authority in the techTV world, would u please tell them to fix that MAJOR problem?

• 4 months later...
I been watching the R.O.D. the TV series on Tech Tvs Anime Unleashed, and its pretty good. At first it may seem different than tha OVA, but as it goes on,[spoiler]Yumiko come back,[/spoiler] and then it gets good. [spoiler]Miss Deep is also in it , but I dont quite remeber if she lost her memory in the OVA, but she acts like it in the show.(If u know let me know)[/spoiler] I wouldn't say that he show is better than the OVA but I think it is just as good. I look forward to reading the manga.

I love Read or Die both the OVA and the T.V. series but I still don't understand the relationship between Yomiko and Anita, I saw the episode but I still don't understand why [spoiler]Anita was in the fire in the british library[/spoiler]. Maggie is a cool character, she loves books like I do and [spoiler]she almost died trying to protect Anita that one time[/spoiler]. I also like how Junior does protect Anita at times.

[COLOR=#503F86][SIZE=1][b]Added spoiler tags; although they aren't very specific ones I wanted to be safe. Please be careful what you could be revealing. I've not seen the series myself yet... -Solo[/COLOR][/SIZE][/b]

• 6 months later...
Guest chobitslover90
hey why did they rate read or die 13up i mean it has lots of blood and full frontal nudity! i suggested this series to my cousin as an anime series to my 9 year old cousin beacause from the first 5 episodes it didnt seem so bad then we watched it at the same time and now hes asking me lots of awkward questions

In fairness, only one episode has nudity or that level of violence. There's some blood here and there. But from what I recall, episode 9 (is that the one?) is an anomaly in terms of both gore and fanservice.

I do agree that Geneon should've rated it 16+, if only for that. I'd check to see if they rated volume 3 differently from the rest, but my R.O.D single cases are scattered all over the place. Sorry. :animeswea

~Dagger~

Guest chobitslover90
u have a good point there as always oh and btw sorry about all of the posting problems this is my first day and also my first forum so please excuse me

Guest Heero yuy
R.O.D is a great OVA...I like Read or Dream (tv series) a lot better, but both give a great sense of animation and story line...

Character personalities in there, are really well done.

R.O.D. the TV is a great series, I'm currently watching it right now - it is a bit on the slow side but being the standard 7 disc release as are most animes, I know it'll all tie up at some point so I stick with it (I'm around disc 4 I believe at the moment).

No more slow than say Witch Hunter Robin, and yet still it might turn a lot of people off. The action sequences in R.O.D. the TV are amazing and not to be missed by any anime fan - I truly think it's a rewarding experience watching it, the creativity and art alone is simply great.

Again though, it's something you have to dedicate a lot of time to.

Not sure if it has been answered yet but there is a Read or Die manga series. Actually there are two spin offs from the movie I believe in Japan, Read or Dream and Read or Die; R.O.D. the TV which is an American only side spin off which is an excellent series in its own right (see my edit for more info on the series name)). Likewise it goes without saying that R.O.D. the TV lives up to its origin, the OVA Read or Die with Ms. Readman.

As for the relationship between [spoiler]Ms. Readman and one of the main characters in R.O.D. the TV[/spoiler], it is handled extremely well... quite impressed, realistic in that regard. I've always found the characters in Read or Die/R.O.D. to be realistic even if the story wasn't... again, it adds to the love and flare that makes Read or Die truly amazing.

Equally as amazing is the extras commentary on the R.O.D. TV DVDs: first time I'm actually watching (or rather listening) to an anime's commentaries! Delightful to hear them speak about their work on the show (the staff and cast), and how most of the staff and cast had never been to Japan and so that the backgrounds drawn by the artists were actually done spur of the moment, or rather, without any other references other than pictures! Cool stuff!

[b]EDIT of Note:[/b] Yeah I checked... there is a manga it is called R.O.D. - Read or Dream, but R.O.D. the TV is [i]not[/i] R.O.D. - Read or Dream and therefore follows a different storyline entirely (mostly same characters, different events). Technically for R.O.D. the TV, R.O.D. does [I]not [/I]stand for anything.

[quote name='Hug Monster']I cant help but wonder about the girls being gay. I mean, if they arent really sisters they must be good friends, and Michelle hugs like everyone and after Anita's hug in episode 10 Im just not sure.[/quote]Watch on (edited this after I finished the series) [spoiler]the sisters are not gay, and if they are lesbians such isn't mentioned in the story[/spoiler]. In fact, although I wasn't happy about this, throughout the story they hint at possible things going on with Nenene and Yomiko... [spoiler]well there isn't anything there either. In fact in my opinion that's the only place the series went a little off... Nenene's longing to see Yomiko diminished quite a bit instead of being further explored.[/spoiler]

Clarification:

If not to screw up the matters further, recently I read Dagger's article involving the new graphic novel line for Read or Die being released along side with Godchild. Those visiting the ICV2 site will be confused when reading this post. So I'll briefly explain this...

[quote name='ICV2']The OVA was released here by Manga Entertainment, and the TV series sequel, Read or Die the TV, was released by Geneon on DVD (see "Geneon Gives Read or Die Fans a Book") and appeared on G4/Tech TV.[/quote]Incorrect, but a nice try. The TV series was strictly an American release, and to avoid confusion (both those reasons), it was not officially named "Read or Die" which many fans of the series will know from listening to the extras commentary on "the TV" series by the series designers.

It should be noted that Viz follows in G4's footsteps and screws up on press releases saying "the TV" version of read or die released (4 discs) is named "Read or Die," instead of R.O.D. when the R.O.D. the TV designers themselves repeatedly state that it does not carry the name Read or Die to differentiate R.O.D. the TV from R.O.D.: Read or Dream (the manga line), and the original series of novels (the series started as novels, not mangas).

For instance, Viz recently announced that they will be kicking out graphic novels/mangas named, R.O.D.: Read or Die by Hideyuki Kurata (see the quotation above or check [url]http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/7882.html[/url]). Confusing? I know, often things get this way when bringing a series over from another country.

Important? Hardly, we know the R.O.D. lines (both of them and now this coming series), is Read or Die in essence, if not in name (but once more it should be mentioned that the Read or Die line as well as the Read or Dream line follow different events from R.O.D. the TV). As for which line this new series will follow in? Got me, if only they kept to the names assigned by the designers, we'd know.

Felt that this double post was needed to split the topics up though, so folks looking for the proper info regarding Viz's release can look here. Also this [b]is[/b] slightly of value to fans because as we see with X-Men comics, different names of series and designers typically determine the story arc the series will follow (there are over 4 main story arcs in X-Men I believe, and 2 in Read or Die so it is important to note).

Hope it helps!

[b]EDIT:[/b] Spoke with some people in the business... yeah, the new release IS Read or Dream, just an English version (since Read or Dream the manga is in Japanese).

• 1 month later...
R.O.D the TV is, i suppose you could say, a series from the Movie R.O.D.

Its story is based around a highly acclaimed author who is saved by three sisters from another author who threatend to kill her. These three sisters posess special powers they can manipulate paper with their minds and are called papermasters.

I am halfway through watching this series and enjoying it thoroughly its storyline and characters are exceptional. Personally I like Anime with an original idea and i recommend this show to anyone who has seen the original movie

I actually liked this anime...it was different from any of the others ive watched and it had a good plot...and i watched the TV show too and i liked it better than Read or Die you know that short movie or whatever...but its not as good as full metal alchemist

I started watching R.O.D a few days ago and I am hooked. But I have to admit i only just realised that R.O.D standed for Read or Die:animeshy:. But still it has to be one of my all time favourite series. 5/5 stars the characters are funny and exciting and the plot is great.

Well, I like the TV series a bit more then the OVA, mostly because of Anita. The story line is a little slow to get going, but the ideas and Chactors are fantastic, and adorible. and to Darktigerpack17 [COLOR=White]Miss deep did lose her memory, it was covered right as the closeing credits started to run[/COLOR] so I hope that clears up you're confusion.

Does anyone know the name of the song used in the first action scene where you first see the Papermasters' powers. When they save Nenene from the bomb.

Also does anyone know of an Anime which is like to this one because i just finished it and i really loved it to bits.

Thanks XD, Sojio

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
so i finally picked up a new Manga after about three years. After rewatching the OVA it was a lodgical step to pick up the manga, especially since i haven't read it before.

it seems to go in chapters, and i am currently on the fourth one, already there is a surprise, I kinda am glad i watched the TV first.
the art is kinda strange though... lots of wierd facial expressions thus far, especially for when the yomiko gets happy.... i dunnoo...

It's been a long time since I've seen Read or Die (never seen the TV series) but the one thing that I can remember that I thought stood out was the animation, especially during the fights. The way girlie made paper as her weapon was really impressive, but at the same time I think I was growing fed up with her character (it's been a long time so I could be mistaken). Her asking for the book got on my nerves, although it was cute the 1st couple of times, I was tired of hearing it afterwards. But still, it was pretty good.