OtakuBoards

Dance Dance Revolution Series

Lord Rannos

Guest YudokuHana
I am sooo addicted to this game now, that I have it for myself. Though, I have to admit my pads suck eggs. I have the flat ones that you get with the game >.< *needs to get money to buy the better ones* But, they do work well enough for what Im doing. I'm not that great of a dancer, but Im pretty good, I guess.

As for what pads to get, heck yes, go out and buy those metal things, but, I'd like to see some people try and keep those in storage... I like the foam ones, that are thick and have that slip grip on the bottom... though, it doesnt work when you play on carpet, I found that out the hard way -_-.

What games to get, I think they are all worth getting, but for a first one, (this is for you Adam), I'd get whatever you think would be the best. The original DDR for was PS, but you can easily play it with PS2, yay for capabilities! Anyway, all of them are great, but personally, I like the older songs better than the new ones, because for some odd reason, DDR is starting to put reaaaallly crappy american music in them. For example, DDR EXtreme 2 has (sickly enough) Oops I did it again, Genie in the Bottle, and that stupid ricky martin song... *cant remember the title at the moment* But, other than that, they are okay.

For worth... DDR is soo worth the amount of money you pay for the entire set, game, pad and bottled water! Its addicting, and quite healthy.

As for starting out, always try beginner, always... It keeps you in what you are going to get into. If you get that down pretty well, work up. And when you pick songs, look for ones that have a slow to medium tempo... As you get better, try harder modes and songs that have a faster tempo than before. For me, right now, I tend to only play fast songs, because slower ones make me trip over my feet, or just miss the beat entirely.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you guys for the advice. I'll compare prices next time I go to the game store. It does sound as though I'd enjoy the original DDR most of all, though we'll see - I'll take a look online a bit and see what songs I like which I don't.

At competitions and the like, do they usually play the first DDR or the newer versions? Again, trying to get a good grasp of what they might have at this anime convention I'll be going to.

Yeah, I suppose the best idea is to start off slow like both of you suggested. Much appreciated advice, who knows, I might become a DDR addict as well (god knows I need the exercise)!

[QUOTE=persocomblues]Thank you guys for the advice. I'll compare prices next time I go to the game store. It does sound as though I'd enjoy the original DDR most of all, though we'll see - I'll take a look online a bit and see what songs I like which I don't.

At competitions and the like, do they usually play the first DDR or the newer versions? Again, trying to get a good grasp of what they might have at this anime convention I'll be going to.

Yeah, I suppose the best idea is to start off slow like both of you suggested. Much appreciated advice, who knows, I might become a DDR addict as well (god knows I need the exercise)![/QUOTE]

[FONT=Arial]You're welcome. =D! At tournaments, I'm guessing they play the arcade Extreme/2 version, which has close to every song available on the other DDR games, and I think some other DDR-ish games from Konami. Seeing as how I've never been to a tournament, however, my credibility is not that great. It seems likely though, because I've seen videos of people at tournaments playing Extreme, and that (and Extreme 2) are the only kind available on the arcade machine (or so it is around here).

It's really easy to get addicted. Remember how I complained that my stamina was so terrible? =D. I got a new mat today, still $20 but WAY better than my old one. It has a nice gloss surface and cushioned buttons, along with non-skid top and bottom and anti-bunching. It's the best mat I've had (I've only had two, including this one xP) and I hope it lasts me much longer than the other one did.

Because of the new mat, I played DDR from 4 PM to 6:40 PM. Most of the songs on heavy, some on standard, and few on light. Results!

I'm super proud of this:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/Light-RhythmandPolice-AA.jpg[/IMG]
Light Mode - Rhythm and Police - AA
True, it was only light mode. But still, I love this song and it's steps and I'm so happy that I finally got an AA. <3

The rest are below; I edited the images to be smaller and saved them, but for some reason they didn't change. >: (

[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/Heavy-NeverLetYouDown-A.jpg]Never Let You Down[/URL]
[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/Heavy-PeaceOut-A.jpg]Peace Out[/URL]
[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/Heavy-MidnightBlaze-B.jpg]Midnight Blaze[/URL]
[URL=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/ShikyoKasu/Standard-Tsugaru-A.jpg]Tsugaru[/URL]

May tomorrow come sooner. >: D [/FONT]

As for the person who asked if I've tried PSMO yet? Hell no.

I haven't been playing DDR as much as I'd like to have. Instead, I've been running 2-3 miles about 2-3 times a week. I guess I'm getting tired of it, finally. I just need a break, more or less. Playing it pretty much every day, I guess I saw myself hitting this point at one time or another, heh...

So I haven't made any real progress. Once I start getting into it more again, I'm going to go for passing MaxX Unlimited on Heavy again (since I nearly passed it in the past). Other than that, I don't have any other immediate goals...I've kind of flatlined as far as getting better goes. And also, my metal pads continue to get into worse and worse condition (one of them is in godawful condition).

Nice to see some new people who are getting into the game, though. I wish I could find a gal like you, haha.

[size=1][font=georgia]Uhhh, I've probably been playing Dance Dance Revolution for two years now, and dang I think I'm doing pretty good.

I usually now get AAA's on Beginner and Light Modes, rarely AAA's or most of the time AA's on Standard, and quite rarely AAA's, mostly AA's, A's or B's on Heavy on most songs. As for the Max 300, Max Unlimited stuff, I never attempt to do that on the mat. I'm already having issues with Afronova, let's work on Max series a little later.

I've only bought DDR Extreme 2 for the Playstation 2, and I love it like heck. In my opinion, it has better songs then all the other home versions, and it includes Butterfly, made Alex happy. (That's my name..)

Mitch, very impressive. Wish I could. ;_; Oh well, more practicing in order.[/size][/font]

• 1 month later...
I've been playing a short time, and I think I am getting pretty good already, I can do almost all songs on Heavy, including Max 300, and can get pretty far on Paranoia survivor Max, although I still struggle with crossovers (only two of 'em -- and <^>) and am also progressing onto In The Groove 2. My friend just bought a Cobalt Flux pad, and it is... PERFECT it makes the pads at the local arcades just plain SUCK. =D I don't exactly have bragging rights since instead of starting on beginner I started on light because I was told the proper ways to play, and then I was forced into playing Heavy/Standard until I was good enough to do it. I will always like hearing people stories about how they are getting better at DDR. Well I better go, class in 5 minutes
Cya
:cool:

[QUOTE=Zero_X]I've been playing a short time, and I think I am getting pretty good already, I can do almost all songs on Heavy, including Max 300, and can get pretty far on Paranoia survivor Max, although I still struggle with crossovers (only two of 'em -- and <^>) and am also progressing onto In The Groove 2. My friend just bought a Cobalt Flux pad, and it is... PERFECT it makes the pads at the local arcades just plain SUCK. =D I don't exactly have bragging rights since instead of starting on beginner I started on light because I was told the proper ways to play, and then I was forced into playing Heavy/Standard until I was good enough to do it. I will always like hearing people stories about how they are getting better at DDR. Well I better go, class in 5 minutes
Cya
:cool:[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's really good. You advanced pretty quickly. I've been playing for almost two years now and I just got around to getting an A on Max 300 heavy (it was the only song on heavy that I hadn't at least A'd on DDRMAX :animeswea) As far as Paranoia survivor Max, I can barely get past the first two slowdowns. Right now I have a Red Octane Ignition 2 which I've owned for about a year now. I really want a Cobalt Flux, but sadly I'm poor.

Does anyone here freestyle? I do sometimes when I'm at home, but nothing really serious. I think it's awesome coming up with the stupidest "dancing" moves for the game lol.

• 1 month later...
[FONT=Arial]Awright, I finally got to play DDR on a machine. Unfortunately, it didn't have TwinBee, which is one of my favorites. I did play Afronova and Daikenkai, and I didn't fail either (as I did at Q-Zar last time I went). A lady there stared in awe as I finished Daikenkai, too, and I smiled at her. Then my mood became sour as the drink machine took my last dollar and I was extremely thirsty. x_x;; oh well. I'm really eager to play Extreme 2, now.[/FONT]

Guest KuroNekoIzumi
[quote name='Mage17]Yeah, my firends and I are super...[I]SUPER[/I'] ddr freaks. We download songs ont mp3 cd's so we can listen to like 200 songs, we got japanese DDR Extreme and ddr max2 for better songs, and we even made our own home pads (metal). Like i said...we're freaks and love it :D[/quote]

OxO wows... anyway do u mind sharing your songs with us? ^^ me want songs!
(goes to arcade to play DDR but plays ParaPara more so i don know much songs)
i am looking for Firefly(Be For U). sorry..but i really know little about ddr songs.

Guest Oath Keeper
I love the game though I've only played it for a little. My friend got me addicted at a class party and I'm planning on buying a copy once I've put enough of my income to the side.

Anyone got a recommened starting title?

[FONT=Arial]I started with DDR Max, but I think any version is just as good. There are songs on all of them that I love doing, but only because I've played it for a while and I can handle the songs with more challenging steps. Whatever you get, make sure you do Training Mode or play on Beginner before you try anything crazy, because you could really hurt yourself trying something you're not ready for. My boyfriend sprained his ankle several times trying to do Max 300 on light mode, which is the hardest song on DDR Max. Good luck with whatever you do, though.[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][font=georgia]I see, talking about songs now? I may have posted about it sooner in this thread, but since Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 2 came out, I've loved most songs on that game, based on how much it appeals and the step coordination with the music.

[b]Tomorrow[/b] would have to be a fun one for me; on Heavy, it matches the song, and it feels cool. Not to mention, a good track to listen to for me, considering I like trance and stuff. Everyone loves [b]Daikenkai[/b], and [b]Candy[/b] by Riyu Kosaka appeals too. [b]Injection of Love, Sexy Planet[/b] (From Nonstop Megamix, the one only available on Challenge Mode), [b]Heaven is a 57 metallic gray[/b] and [b]Pump Up The Volume[/b] are cool.

As far as 'freestyle' goes, mentioned before, I attempt it. Try to do it backwards, try with one foot on Heavy, get on my knees out of nowhere and attempt to use my hands before getting up again...I do the stupidest 'tricks' that they can't even be considered tricks.[/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Oath Keeper]I love the game though I've only played it for a little. My friend got me addicted at a class party and I'm planning on buying a copy once I've put enough of my income to the side.

Anyone got a recommened starting title?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]For beginners I'd personally recommend DDR Extreme 2, it has the most songs, and it has a beginner mode. If you've already moved past beginner mode, you might want to get DDR Max. It's my personal favorite, and has some pretty challenging songs on it.[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
I love DDR so much... I got it for my birthday in October and I'm currently on Standard mode. The only versions I've played are Max2 because that's the version they have at the bowling alley and Extreme 2 because that's the version I own. Favorite songs... hm, Look At Us by Sarina Paris (first song I could ever master), Polovtsian Dances and Chorus by I have no idea, Dive by Be For U (J-poppy and happy), Injection of Love by... eh, I forget, and Nori Nori Nori by... wow, I'm really bad with artist names, huh? Go me.

I've been playing DDR for about a year now, and on Heavy I can get A's on most 8 feet + songs. This is excepting Max 300 and Legend of Max (etc) . I'm not even able to finish those songs.

My favorites (stepwise) have to be Tsugaru (Apple Mix), Maximizer, and Spin the Disc. I only have Max2 and Extreme, but I'm hoping to pick up Max sometime soon, since it has a ton of good songs on it.

Also, I'm actually hosting a "DDR party" tomorrow night. We're hooking up the PS2 to a projector. :D It shall be grand.

[COLOR=Red]i like DDR, more so the fact that it's now being used in certain schools back in the states, in PE! i wish that was that for all the overseas dependents in england, germany, italia, etc.

my favorite song is Ready Steady Go by Paul Oakenfold, which i've heard alot outside of DDR, im planning to download that song when i head home this summer.... albeit it's a very difficult song, to play, because it starts out slow and jumps up to very fast in a matter of seconds.

one song they should put in the next DDR colsole game[which my friend tells me it'll be the super nova one] is Banquet[Phones Disco edit] by bloc party because it's a very fast pased tune and a great remix. you should check that one out.

another one is, Bite to break skin[the legion of doom remix] by senses fail, because it does very well and imo, pass as an DDR tune. but you should listen to both songs first.

thank you for your time[/COLOR]

• 3 months later...
The thing I think is strange about DDR is the difference in titles. Even in the same song on different versions with the same rating(foot wise) and one being harder then the other. I'm just going to say where I am on the different titles.

Konamix-almost all light I can do

DDRMAX-almost all standard

DDRMAX2-a few Heavy

DDRExtreme-middle of standard

I just wish my feet could move faster.

how good is the best guy you know? I have a friend that I have never seen fail a song when challanged to do it. He loves it so much he constanly chalanges himself with edits.

• 1 year later...
[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=3]I LIVE!!!

Well I just bought DDR Extreme 2 a few weeks ago and I'm hooked. Plus I'm actually not bad at it.'

I started playing it again (not very well mind you) this past year because the Children's museum where I live (The Strong NAtional Museum of Play) has a set of them in their feild of play exhibit

The biggest gripe I have now is with the damn mat![/color][/font][/size]

I dunno, I bought DDR Supernova a few months ago and I have to say that the game is awesome! ^_^ I really need to train and get better though,...I'm having difficulty playing on...Difficult (no pun intended)...and I've made it to the last stellar joint...which killed me...-_-'