OtakuBoards

Dance Dance Revolution Series

Lord Rannos

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Times New Roman]I figured I may as well toss my fare share into this topic.

I personally enjoy DDR, having taught several friends to do it tediously, and then of course go from six month breaks to instantly playing 9 Foot difficulty songs, but hey.

Anyhoo, I currently just came off of one of my six month breaks and comboed Paranoia Rebirth on Heavy after realizing that once you drop the idea that playing DDR is all about showing off, you can master it. Kinda sad, considering how the majority of the DDR playing world does it SOULY for that reason.

The songlist I generally do on the Extreme Mix at the mall near by my house would be either: A for warmup or Seniorta for warmup, then Dead End, then Paranoia Rebirth. That is what I do for the first list, ALWAYS, then of course, I variate it. But doing it on Heavy can be a tedious adventure, especially when you suicidally decide to do Rebirth on Shuffle and Hidden, then Dead End on Sudden, then Max 300 on Sudden.

Key tips: Water, lots of it. Stamina, without it, kiss your DDR playing career goodbye. Oh yeah, and legs strong enough to carry you. You could range from 1000 Pounds to 80 Pounds so long as you have powerful legs to keep ya going.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[size=1]Mommy got me a metal pad for Christmas. ^___________^

Maladjusted, here's my little advice. Go onto standard, and keep practicing from there. Although, some songs will be more challenging, and I suggest practicing those more often on the mat so you'll get closer to the Heavy Mode. It's gonna take a freaking while though, unless you can catch on pretty quickly.

Hey, has anyone gotten DDR Konamix? I have wanted to check it out, but I only found it available on amazon.com. If you've played it, should I get it?[/size]

• 1 month later...
Well, I got DDR this Christmas - for the PS2, DDR Extreme. Since then, I've been playing it on a mostly daily basis (somedays I just don't have the time, since I work and go to school, etc), and improving. I first started off on Lesson mode, which gave me the basics of how to play decently enough. And now I am all the way up to playing Heavy, getting C's and B's and a few D's and E's.

Anyone else play? How good are you, how long have you been playing, and why do you love DDR?

I've been playing for around a month to two months now. I love this game because it's exercise and it's fun to improve and push yourself.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]Well, my buddy got the game and the 'nice' gamepad. I enjoyed playing it, though, I think my feet were a little big for the mat. Anyways, I know that we played it a lot when we first got it. I really enjoyed it when he let me borrow it, and my brother and I would just play it for hours. I really got into the tempo of the game, standing up and tapping along while my brother would play.

I really started off quite - newbie'ish - when I first gave the game a go. I barely moved, and just tapped the keys as they instructed me to. But as I moved up to faster songs, I knew that it just wasn't possible. I would love to get the game from him again, but since my PS2 broke down on me - and since I am dead broke all the time now - I will just have to wait. It was definitely a game that got me sweating pretty hardcore though -- in a good, excercising way! ^_^ [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I haven't been in this thread for a while, so I thought I might go back and comment on a few of the older quotes before I get to some more recent ones. :D
[quote name='maladjusted][color=firebrick']Does anyone have any tips for moving up in heavy? The highest I get in it is usually a C or D, and it's almost impossible for me. I'm like sweating like a pig after doing it about two times. V_V [/color][/quote]Nothing inparticular, I suppose, but just a lot of practicing does seem to help. It's okay to start with some of the easier Heavy songs and slowly move your way up, and for those of you who have Extreme, Mission Mode does an amazing job of improving the quality of your steps. An interesting thing that I did before moving up to Heavy -- and some of you might find this unnecessary -- is perfect my ability on Standard, by making sure that I could ace just about any and all of the hardest songs on that difficulty before I dabbled in Heavy. Also, when you get to the harder songs, be aware that you should train with the knowledge that every beat is intended to be stepped on with a different foot, excluding gallups and fast double beats, of course.
[quote name='CurseOfPhoenix][color=darkred][size=2][font=Arial]Does anyone hear have a DDR club at their school? If so, I'd like some details so I might be able to base my plans on it. Thanx in advance.[/font][/size'][/color][/quote]We don't, but we took a few moments to consider the possibility, lol. The reason that we didn't in the end was because of all the work it would take to set everything up, you know? We would like to bring quality pads, have a big tv that can be rolled in, etc., and none of that was really able to be guarunteed for a given day. It's a real hassel to bring in dance pads, the one tv may have been checked out already, and the fact that there might be a lot of people there to play is discouraging when considering that only two people can go at a time. We'd have to set up a complicated system or something, and those that bring in a quality pad might be afraid of someone stomping or wearing it out faster. Plus, we already had Anime Club, and just dealing with one activity was hard enough, haha.
[quote name='Wondershot']I'm actually trying to perfect this routine where, instead of always hitting the up arrow with my right foot and the others with my left at the beginning, I switch between my left and right foot every two up arrows, starting with the right. This is a little dangerous in the sense that it forces me to jump using one foot from the down arrow to the up arrow with all my body wight shifted back, and I'm usually missing the up arrow completely, or when I land, I'm so off balance that I can't keep up with the rest of the arrows. If anyone has any ideas for that I'd love to hear them.[/quote]Well.. it's a little difficult to follow, but I don't really pay attention to what foot I'm hitting an arrow with, since I'm all around the pad making sure that I'm using each foot every other time. After that, you just use whatever foot is more conveniant depending on the upcoming arrows, which, luckily for me, my brain seems to decide by itself without me doing much conscious thinking. :p

[quote][i]On one last note, I was wondering what people think of using the standard PS2 controller instead of the pad for play.[/i][/quote]I've only used it a few times, but I honestly suck at using the controller, lol. I think this is entirely due to the fact that I've gotten so used to using the pad, and that using the controller a lot would make it seem like a cheap way of passing a song, but that's only a theory.

[quote name='Wasabi][size=1']Hey, has anyone gotten DDR Konamix? I have wanted to check it out, but I only found it available on amazon.com. If you've played it, should I get it?[/size][/quote]I don't, but I have a friend who does and I've played it quite a bit. It does have a lot of great songs on it, although not a beauty graphically, and I would rate it among the better DDR games.

[quote name='Mitch']Well, I got DDR this Christmas - for the PS2, DDR Extreme. Since then, I've been playing it on a mostly daily basis (somedays I just don't have the time, since I work and go to school, etc), and improving. I first started off on Lesson mode, which gave me the basics of how to play decently enough. And now I am all the way up to playing Heavy, getting C's and B's and a few D's and E's.[/quote]Geeze, Mitch, you move quickly! Getting to Heavy in just one month is quite a feat, showing how practicing every day is extremely good to help you get better. I got the game last March, and it took me.. well, quite a while, probably 3 months or so to finally get to Heavy.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought DDR Ultramix 2 for Xbox on Boxing Day. Sure I had to buy the game pad seperatly and it cost me about 100 dollars but it was definately worth it. Me and my friends always play it whenever we hang out or party. It's always fun to do. My favorite song on that game would have to be Dream A Dream. Anyone else have it??

• 1 month later...
I recently bought a $100 Ignition pad, and I'm very satisfied with it - it's a lot better than the flimsy pads I used before.

I finally played DDR in an arcade for the first time a few days ago. The metal pad is hard for me to get used to, since I'm so used to my soft pad I use. It makes it so I can't do as well on Heavy as I could were I using my Ignition pad.

I've gotten B's on a lot of hard songs on Heavy lately, I'm pretty proud of my progress.

• 3 weeks later...
[color=darkslateblue] I recently bought a PS2 along with DDR and two dance pads (finally!), and I've made a resolve to play it at least an hour a day. >_>

But my main question: How accurate is the 'workout mode' on DDR? When I check the daily workout results, it tells me I jogged about 2 miles, and I sort of don't believe it. :/ [/color]

mine says the same, and I'm not sure how accurate it is, but I know that while playing it I definitely work up a sweat lol, its a pretty tough game especially when you move on to heavy and such, with 100's of beats per song its easy to see how its equivalent to a 2 mile jog.

[SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen]Dam Damiram is my most favorite song of all DDR, I like most of all of the songs, Playing in the arcade is always fun for me I draw a small crowd sometimes so I guess that's cool. :p [/COLOR] [/SIZE]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=2]I have just as much fun with a controller as I do with the dance pad. It safes me the time of getting up and turning on the fan everytime I use the pad. I'm better with my thumbs than my feet though, I'll be honest about that.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

I havve played ddr forever, but i never get to go to the arcade as often as i oul like but i know that ddr extreme has drop the bomb on it so i have had my fun. but if you would like more info my brother is more of a ddr freak then i am cause he has cleared max unlimitted on heavy at the arcade. even though he made a B i was his proof that he had passed :catgirl:

Not sure if anyone answered the question posed originally (about Drop the Bomb by Scotty D), but I'll answer at any rate.

Yes, it is on an English version. It is an unlockable on DDR: Extreme. My friend and I worked a lot to get that one open.

I've jumped late on the DDR bandwagon, but I loooove playing it at home. Arcade is creepy because of the people watching and sometimes they follow your steps behind you.

Sorry, but I just have to say this: you people who play DDR with your fingers are totally missing what the game's about. Nothing, and I mean [i]nothing[/i] compares to playing with your feet. :p. It is harder, you actually sweat and get a workout, and DDR was a game made for you to play with your feet. . .

My progress lately has been slow. At this point I need another new pad before I'm going to be able to improve anymore. Although I've been playing at a slower pace, I played so often that the ignition pad I bought is already wrecked: it's got cracks in it and the down arrow only works if you touch the very tip of it, which is quite annoying. At this point I want a metal pad, but I don't have the money to waste (well I do, but I've got to pay for a car crash I got into. . .it's going to cost $1,100, bleh). I plan on getting some metal pads over e-bay soon enough.

I've been playing some harder songs lately. "Maxx Unlimited," "The Legend of Max," "Drop Out," "V," "A," "Can't Stop Falling in Love (Speed Mix)," "There You'll Be," a whole slew of "PARANOiA" songs, "Afronova," "Maximizer." I'm also finally getting pretty good at "Tsugaru." Got a B on it on Heavy. I figured out I had to learn to do gallops in order to pass the song, so now I'm decent at gallops. . .one thing I really wonder, though, is [b]what is a crossover[/b]? I think I have a general idea, but I want to know. I've read some explanations on the internet but I can't quite grasp it. It's too bad someone couldn't just show me, or something, heh. I understand that to get the best at this game, you have to hit each arrow with a different foot, and I understand as well crossovers are necessary for this. That's why I want to know what they are, so I make sure I use them.

The main thing is I finally got a B on "Max 300" on Standard. The thing is, I can't get a B again. Seems as if I was just really lucky, or something. It was odd I got a B when I did considering I had just gotten back from working 8 hours when I got it. . .you'd think I was tired.

[center][img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=23145[/img][/center]

[color=darkslateblue] People actually just play DDR with the controller? *odd look* Strange... You really are missing out. :D Playing with feet is really just plain fun...I've tried it with the controller (I had plugged in the game controller and the dance pad, and I played with the controller for a while...pretty boring if you ask me) And you get abs! lol

Right now my goal is to get an A on Paranoia Eternal on heavy. >_< Highest score I've gotten B. Someday I'll get an A. Someday. *glares at PS2*[/color]

The $100 Red Octane pad I bought officially sucks. Instead of using it I took out one of my old soft pads and lo and behold, there was such a huge improvement. I was actually getting the arrows as I hit them for once, it was so amazing! Now I feel so much more into the game. Today I got a B on "The Legend of Max" on standard, go me.

• 1 month later...
Guest Chaosreaper14
Last time I played DDR at an arcade...I passed Paranoia Survivor Heavy x1.5.

I can't pass it unless I have at least 2 rounds of DDR before trying that song.
If I'm somewhat tired, I get more tired less easily.
If it's the first song I play, then I get tired real fast. Weird.

I'm not really sure about Red Octane pads though...they seem really easy to break.
I have an ultra 3rd Party metal pad...all arcade style and what not. Has the bar on it so that helps me play the harder songs with lots of crossover steps like HVAM.

[QUOTE=Mitch]

I figured out I had to learn to do gallops in order to pass the song, so now I'm decent at gallops. . .one thing I really wonder, though, is [b]what is a crossover[/b]? I think I have a general idea, but I want to know.

[/QUOTE]

A crossover is a step combination like:
left, down, right, down.

It causes you to move one leg to the other side of the pad by moving it in front of you.
Hence "Crossover"

I honestly think that DDREX's Mission Mode is there to make some hardcore DDRers feel like trash.

I mean c'mon; Only You- Pass with all Perfects.
Seems easy enough...but then you have the way the arrows scroll up. All the arrows overlap each other in the middle kinda like:

<
v
^
>

But throw in some 1/8 notes and it really makes it hard.

[color=#4B0082]Merged the double post. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lookagain180
[QUOTE=ssj3borjan]Waa!!! GO DDR!!!

On a more calm and composed note, I'd like to take this moment to tell all other DDR lovers that I have cracked Can't Stop Falling In Love (Speed Mix) at the arcade. Expert, of course ^_^ Yeah I still technically failed, but only due to the damn multiple beats in a row that appear suring the song. Once I can do that, I'll look like DA MAN!

Which in essence is what DDR is all about!

Anyone offering any tips on how to to multiple beats all on the same step? When I mean multiple, I'm sure you all know that I mean half/ quarter/impossible beats, one after another.... hey if you dont understand me just go to the arcade and find a 9 step expert song to have fun with ^_^[/QUOTE]

make sure u arent putting your feet back to the center every time if u know like how to play percussion or something count it like that

i moved from standard to heavy after about a week of playing stand just make sure u can read the arrows and not go brain dead like i used to :animesmil

[color=#4B0082]Merged the double post. Please simply edit your posts if you'd like to add something. Thanks. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

Well, I've bought some metal pads now. They haven't arrived yet.

The last two days, I've played DDR till I burn 1,000 calories. Been playing DDR Max. Playing a lot of "Healing Vision (Angelic Mix)." God is that song ever crazy. It's getting easier, though. DDR is always getting easier; I'm always feeling better at it. I've actually passed "Healing Vision (Angelic Mix)," but only with a D. And just barely.

Anyone heard that this fall DDR Extreme 2 comes out? Man am I ever excited. Also, has anyone checked out In The Groove for the PS2? I don't know. I might buy it but I really don't want to. I'm turned off by it. I like DDR and all the other rip-offs of it just aren't as good to me.

I've now gotten an "A" on Drop Out Heavy, which I'm proud of. Still no chance in hell of me passing "The Legend of Max" on Heavy. That's one thing that I hate about Extreme - in the training mode, you can't slow down a song's speed like you can in Max and Max 2. Thus, I can't learn the steps of "The Legend of Max" so I can do it easier normally. I've gotten an A on "The Legend of Max" on Standard, however. Same with "MaxX Unlimited" too. I'm getting good. Still have forever to go.

I've now started playing doubles a bit too. It's not too hard, just need to sharpen the skills at it.

DDR is a very fun game. I love the music on it, and I play it at least twice a week. I use it as my exersize tool, to keep me in shape. I only have DDR Max 2 sadly, but it's still fun. I need to buy the newer ones. Right now, I'm proud that I've made an A on Hysteria on Heavy mode. That was a very difficult song for me.

i only read you're original post so someone has probably already posted the answer but i have Dance Dance Revolution Extreme and it is on that version and yes it's alot of fun especialy on the harder versions such as standard and heavy[quote name='Lord Rannos']Is Drop the Bomb by Scotty D only for the arcade version of Dance Dance Revoloution? My brother told me it might be, but i'm not sure.[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...
[URL=http://img105.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img105&image=max300standarda1hh.jpg][IMG]http://img105.exs.cx/img105/1688/max300standarda1hh.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

:)

Oh, and check this:

[url=http://img279.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sdsds0016kb.jpg]t3h sick leg gallery!!111[/url]

That's what happens when you become addicted to DDR and play it nearly every day.

Hell, there was one week where ever single day, I burned 1,000 calories.

How hardcore is that?