OtakuBoards

Ranma 1/2

Queen Asuka

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Not really my style [at all], but oh! how I love it so! (If I didn't, I wouldn't have $90.00 worth of the flopp-ed manga sitting on my shelf. That's just three volumes, but hey...$$$$)

I've read volumes one, fifteen, and 18, and think Mousse to be a very cool guy, despite popular opinion. Although, like with most stories like this, I can't stand 95% of the cast, the interaction between characters is downright hysterical most of the time.

As is to be expected, however, the series slows down and becomes repetitive after a while. I got tired after reading three volumes, though I'll pick up one of them and chuckle now and again. The art isn't really my favourite, and the characters are pretty generic, but I respect the mangaka hugely, and think Nabiki and Dr Tofu are pretty damn cool.

What's so breath-of-fresh-air about it, may I ask? Heh.

My only real problem with Ranma 1/2 is the fight scenes are kinda super-dull. Pft.

Genma = uber awesome.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very much in love with Ranma and Inuyasha, although it's very hard for me to see them, the problem is that I don't live in a place where it's particularily available and not much money to buy it from a place that does have it, so i haven't seen much or watched any movies :flaming: . I have only read the first 6 books but what i have read i have very much enjoyed i would like it if i could read some more about it. i like it because it's about a girl who doesn't like boys and a boy that isn't quite a boy and all the weird things that happen to them. The only thing i've found bad about this series so far is Shampoo, i very much dislike certain things about her, the way she doesn't speak correctly for example(i know it's because she's from China and they're in Japan, but why they had to make her speak badly i don't know, it really annoys me) and the little things on her head( her hairstyle).

Ranma 1/2 is my favourite manga made by Rumiko Takahashi and maybe ever.Not only does it have a HUGE cast of characters,but the storyline is a great balance of fighting/romance/comedy.The ending is a little dissapointing,but I won't ruin it.I've never seen the anime,so I hope they do get it on Adult Swim.

Shampoo kicks major ***.

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet']I've seen a few episodes of Ranma, but I honestly can't remember too much from them. Probably because my memory is going. I do remember one of the movies tho when the guy steals Akane (did I get that wrong?)[/color][/quote]
I think there is one like that. Haven't seen it,but I did see a comerical like thing on a old tape of mine. I think it was a pokemon one. :ball: Now I have to do is find the damn thing! -_- (the tape. So I can see the comercial again to make sure that it's the Ranma movie you're talking 'bout.)

I heard of Rumiko Takashi!She is the person who made Rave Master. I love that manga also I love the manga Ranma also. But like that guy said up there....Will there be people naked in there sometimes?And where do you download episodes at please!!!!

[quote name='Deimos']I heard of Rumiko Takashi!She is the person who made Rave Master.[/quote]
Rave Master? Were did you hear that? I think you might be wrong. The only manga that I know she made are InuYasha, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkou, and a few others. You might have her mistaken for someone else.

[quote name='Deimos']Nope,I looked in the rave master book and they show all the manga's she made and Ranma 1/2 was one of them.If you want me to go check again I will.I might even be able to find a picture of it too.[/quote]
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Hmm...Well, you know about the little biograhy 'bout the great Takahashi-sama in the back of most of her manga? Well, it says nothing about her making Rave Master. I'll find out more about Rave Master first.[/COLOR]

Anyways, to bring back this topic, I'd just like to say that I'm a pretty big Ranma fan. I own all of the seasons and the OVA, but I've only seen one of the movies (and I was drunk at the time, so that doesn't really count). Ranma was the series that rekindled my dead passion for anime, so I owe it quite a bit. I do admit that the serie gets pretty repetitive. When it boils down to it, some of the "inventive" martial arts styles that run rampant in the series are pretty lame. I mean, martial arts tea ceremony :sleep:? Martial arts dining :eek:? Martial arts cheerleading (double :eek:) ?

I would think that Ranma is something that belongs on TV, since it's essentially an anime sitcom, which is why I hope that it does make it onto [adult swim]. Still, if (and I agree with Sol-Blade's following post. That is a big if) it were to air on TV I'd find it disappointing if all the nudity were cut out, though not just because I like nudity (which I do), but because Ranma's strutting around naked is part of his character. It helps to show that even in a girl's body, he's 100% man.

The last thing that bugged me was how the series never had a definite ending. It feels like I invested so much time and money in the series to only find out that Ranma, nor any of the other characters, ends up romantically involved with anybody by the end of the series. Sure, Ranma and Akane are certainly on better terms with each other by the end, but they still refuse to actually admit they love each other. I guess this is because no matter what, the ending would have been sad for far too many characters, specifically Ukyo and Shampoo. Both of which are almost universally liked more than Akane, it seems. Still, the lack of closure could hint at the possibility of future episodes. However, I highly doubt this will happen.

If (And that's a big [I]if[/I]...) Ranma were to ever air here in the US, uncut...where do you think they would actually be able to show it?

[adult swim]? Tech-TV? The Anime Network?

For me, I really doubt they will ever get it on [as]. Read my post above, err behind...whatever. If they ever did, it would be one big mess of edits. Not good.

Tech-TV? I don't know about that one, seems they never get anything outside of Geneon (or even Tokyopop).

The Anime Network? Too few people get it in my opinion. I know I don't. So I don't even know if they butcher their shows for content.

But I would have to agree, Ramna isn't Ramna without the nudity. (In a non-perverted way.)

[color=#4B0082]Heh, looks like Ranma doesn't have too many fans. Personally, I like him because, on one hand, he has to deal with so much crap started by other people. But on the other hand, he starts so much crap himself, it's just hilarious. That, and he takes so much abuse from all the girls; I gotta feel kind of sorry for him sometimes.

But anyway, I started watching Ranma ½ a few weeks ago, and so far I'm up to episode 19, I think it is, of the fourth season. I really enjoyed almost all of the first season and most of the second, but since then, there haven't been too many episodes that I've really liked. Although, there have been few that I've actually disliked; most are at least fairly amusing.

Usually the episodes centering around Ranma and Akane are my favorites. ... But they usually also end up annoying the heck out of me. I swear, every single time it seems like they're making some progress at getting to like one another better, it gets screwed up and then they're back to where they started by the end of the episode. It's just so dang frustrating, since it makes it feel like the series is going absolutely nowhere.

And am I the only one who thinks that Akane [i]is[/i] actually cute? I mean, sure, she dislikes most guys -- but I think that's justified. Just look at the guys she has to put up with at school. ... Especially Kuno. I mean, I have to give her credit for not inflicting more bodily harm on him than she does. And she seems to like Ryoga well enough (she called him a friend in one episode, I remember), so it's obviously not [i]all[/i] guys. Myself, I like her personality, and I think she also looks cute enough after getting her hair cut. (Short hair really does suit her better.)[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082]And am I the only one who thinks that Akane [i]is[/i] actually cute? I mean, sure, she dislikes most guys -- but I think that's justified. Just look at the guys she has to put up with at school. ... Especially Kuno. I mean, I have to give her credit for not inflicting more bodily harm on him than she does. And she seems to like Ryoga well enough (she called him a friend in one episode, I remember), so it's obviously not [i]all[/i'] guys. Myself, I like her personality, and I think she also looks cute enough after getting her hair cut. (Short hair really does suit her better.)[/color][/quote]

No, you're not the only person that think Akane's cute. Akane is a generally underrated character. There are many times in the series where Akane is shown to be an incredibly caring and kind person, but most of those are overshadowed by bickering between her and Ranma. Unfortunately, this is the side that you get to see most in the series, and it is almost always because Ranma has done something to piss her off. And if her anger doesn't involve something Ranma did, it's something one of Ranma's many suitors is trying to do to him. This is the only real situation that I think Akane would be acting unrealistically in, but her unreasonable anger is definitely humorous, as it is meant to be. So basically I'm supporting Desbreko's point even further... Akane is definitely justified in almost all of her anger fits, and if she is treated with respect (as all people deserve), then she is a person with a really great personality. All she would need to do is change her living environment and she'd be a more likeable character, but where would the fun be in that?

[QUOTE=Sol-Blade]Ranma 1/2 on Cartoon Network? Im a little skeptical about that...I thought they would never be able to get that past FCC. Yeah, I could see how it might not be considered "adult" material, but things like having Ranma-chan/Ranko-chan often completely naked in the series don't really sit well with them.
[/QUOTE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I don't believe that Nudity is an issue. They can just draw on those bikini things like they did for Tenchi and Outlaw Star, lol. [/color][/size]

[quote name='The F-Bomb']No, you're not the only person that think Akane's cute. Akane is a generally underrated character.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Okay, I'm a girl and I have to admit that Akane is pretty, but she is NOT underrated by any means. What about us poor Mousse fangirls? ;_; Since I last posted in this thread I've become even more obsessed with Ranma 1/2 and I've taken a great liking to Mousse...as a few of my friends will know.

It kind of annoys me the way that less important characters *coughKunocough* get more screen time than the likes of Mousse...who is way cooler O_o although I'm probably biased by saying that, eh heh.

Something else to add about Ranma 1/2 is the OAVs. I've got two of them, number one and number two and I have to say, the animation really progresses between the two.

In Trouble in Nekonran China, the first Movie, the animation is pretty good but lacks something. However in the second movie, Nihao my Concubine, the animation has progressed so much and it's a really enjoyable movie to watch.

I think the good thing about the series being, what is it, 7 seasons long? Is that viewers get to see
1. The progress in animation
2. More character development than in usual anime series.

Okay, I'm hoping that my post actually made sense....I was slightly hyper when I wrote it.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 10 months later...
[color=#4B0082]Whee! Reviving an old game/anime thread is always fun. :catgirl:

So I just finished watching the first season again, and wow. When I got done watching the series and reading the manga originally, I knew it was my favorite anime out of anything I'd seen yet, and rewatching the first season only helped confirm that. The episodes had me smiling, laughing, and sighing just like they did the first time I saw them.

One of the main things that raises an anime above the rest, in my eyes, is its ability to retain very nearly the same feel upon watching it over again. (Same as I judge video games that way.) And Ranma ½ -- or at least the first season -- passed the test with flying colors. Now I think I may very well go on to rewatch the second season, and possibly beyond; I'm confident that I'll continue to enjoy the series as much as I have in the past.

And, uh, yeah. That's all.[/color]

I love Ranma, well he/she is cool. My favorite character is Ryoga, well I relate to him, I have no sense of direction, believe me, I once got lost in my own town, and the town is only 2 blocks long. Well anyways, Akane is cool, has anyone seen the actual last episode?

• 2 months later...
my fave vol of manga would be the one where ukyou made tat really bad sauce, ranma ate it and his face dropped on the floor, and he picked them up again!!! i laughed for god knows how many hours just looking at that page!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bombush
I'm a fan of Rumiko Takahashi so I love this show. I think it's one of her best (after Maison Ikkoku). I've seen all the episodes and read all the manga. It's so damn funny. The best character is definately Kuno and I also think that Akane [I]is[/I] really cute, she just has that egoistic stubborn fiance (don't take me wrong, I personally like Ranma but his ability to spoil every romantic moment sometimes annoys me). For the characters I dislike: it's definately the ghost cat, episodes with him are the worst. On the other hand the episode when he possesses Ryoga is quite funny. It's shame that Gosunkugi is introduced almost at the end of anime, I kinda like him. Another thing that I don't like on anime is the big amount of fillers. Maybe without them they would be able to actually finish the series. For those who say that Ranma has no ending (mainly those who didn't read the manga): it actually has one. [spoiler]Ranma finally admits his love to Akane and there's even a wedding which all the main characters attend. Naturally they ruin the ceremony and the whole series end with following words: "And the wedding was postponed, but only for a little while".[/spoiler] It's an ending I'm completely satisfied with.

So overall Ranma is a great anime/manga and it's definately worth to watch it.

[color=#4B0082]Added spoiler tags. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bombush
[quote name='chobitslover90']hey who does everybody think is the best gurl from ranma 1/2?[/quote]
I'd say Ukyo. She's so cute and it's hilarious when she's embarassed (althogh it's driven to extreme in OAV). As the second one I'd vote for Akane. I know many people around here dislike her but I think that below the uncute tomboyish surface beats a kind and caring heart.
Well and the third place goes to... Nabiki. Just because her let's say "economic nature" reminds me of one of my friends.

Guest chobitslover90
shampoo ukyo then kasumi
sexy cute (and can make some mean pizza or whatever that stuff was)
beacause i like the quiet type (and she looks good in a bathing suit)

[QUOTE=chobitslover90]shampoo ukyo then kasumi
sexy cute (and can make some mean pizza or whatever that stuff was)
beacause i like the quiet type (and she looks good in a bathing suit)[/QUOTE]

[font=Times]Okonomiyaki, it's like Japanese pizza. And Ukyo cracks me up.[/font]

Guest PremierSullivan
I have reason to believe that Ryoga's name is "Ryoga". Some people have been spelling it "Ryouga." I know why this error happened, but I'm not gonna go into the details of Hepburn Romanization. I might be wrong (I only know a little Japanese) so if anyone who knows why "Ryouga" might be more correct, please tell me.