OtakuBoards

Case Closed

Dagger

I didn't think this series (also known as Detective Conan) would be particularly good, but after watching episode 1, I'm so happy that I decided to tape it. Airing at 12:30 a.m., Case Closed is the newest addition to Adult Swim's weekday line-up. Right now it's also one of the longest-running series in Japan, with over 350 episodes and no end in sight.

Some fans are bitter about the fact that FUNimation's dub Americanized several of the main characters' names. While I don't exactly endorse such alterations, I think people are blowing this way out of proportion. "Conan" is already rather un-Japanese, and the DVDs will undoubtedly come with a decent subtitle track. If the English dub continues to sound fairly natural and appealing, I couldn't care less about minor changes... especially since the Japanese company approved of them. :rolleyes:

I just liked the first episode a whole lot. The show's funky character designs (look at those giant ears!), Yu Yu Hakusho-esque humor and entertaining plot all served to pique my interest. Are any of you planning to follow Case Closed?

~Dagger~

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jro13
Yeah I just cannot wait till it come on tonight, because I want to see how he gets around being a little kid. It is a truly good show.

[color=green][size=1]

I unfortunately missed the first episode, but I had wished to catch it. It seemed like a good series, and seeing your opinion makes me want to see it more. I'm still confused on what type of series this is? Is it mainly humor? Modern Fantasy? Mystery? What? Its seemed like a mix of all three when I saw the commercials and preveiws, so I guess I'll have to see for my self.

Could someone clarify for me those questions though?[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=ReFlux][color=green][size=1]

I'm still confused on what type of series this is? Is it mainly humor? Modern Fantasy? Mystery? What? Its seemed like a mix of all three when I saw the commercials and preveiws, so I guess I'll have to see for my self.

Could someone clarify for me those questions though?[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Well the series is basically about different Mysteries, with a little bit of comedy thrown in.
The only real Fantasy element is the main character's transformation in the first epidsode, [spoiler]from a teenager into a little kid.[/spoiler]

As for my opinion about the show, it reminded me alot of Lupin the 3rd for some reason. Like the Lupin series it deals with complicated crimes, carried out in unique ways:[spoiler]decapitations with piano wire all carried out on roller coasters, and stuff like that.[/spoiler]

I can't really say if I'm a fan or not, since I've only seen one episode. But I'll continue to watch, until I lose interest.

I was glancing around Adult Swim's website today and saw some pictures of it. The character designs look adorable! I feel like I could tell the type of show it'd be just by looking at the pictures, and I'm thinking it would be just what I would enjoy. I really wish I were in the States at the moment so I could watch it. But for now I suppose it'll be okay to live vicariously through the rest of you ...

I suppose that was pointless except I got to complain about how they don't show anime on the four channels I get while here (New Zealand) ... :p

[size=1][color=navy]Man... I remember reading Detective Conan years ago with my friends when we were in elementary school. Good times, trying to figure out who the murderer was. Problem is, they were all a bit too hard for us to solve so it turned into a guessing game towards the end. But still, good times.

I'm frankly quite amazed the show is still going on in Japan. Whoever is writing it (forgot the name) must have one heck of a brain, thinking up of all the different possible ways to kill someone.

Oh yes, about the name Conan. I think the name came from him [spoiler]stuttering about his name when he turned into a kid, looked around the entire collection of mystery novels, and picked it out from the Sherlock Holmes series. Edogawa, his last name, is from a well known Japanese Mystery novel as well.[/spoiler][/color][/size]

*curses fools who program scheduale guide for Dish TV*

I'm ticked... the channel guide that Dish TV uses said that Case Closed came on at midnight... so, I set my VCR for midnight. Next day, I find that I taped Aqua Teen Hunger Force. I double check, it still says midnight, so I figured I made a mistake, and set if for 12 am again. Today I find that yet again it wasn't what I wanted. So I do the smart thing, check the internet, and find that the real time was set for 12:30. Grr... the first two episodes are a mystery to me now, and I was really looking forward to the show too. *Sighs, decides that watching from ep 3 isn't that bad, and waits for reruns.*

I have to say Case Closed is a very good alternative to most of the anime they show on weekdays now. Considering the fact the only good shows that come on are not anime's no one wants to see reruns on of Cowboy Beebop and Trigun both are good shows,but the madness must stop. The only shows I know have to look forward to are Family Guy, Futurama, and Case Closed after that nothing left to watch.

Back to Case Closed or Detective Conan I love the show with the animation and how he still solves the crimes yet doesn't get the credit. I also love the plot lines of the storys yet I myself missed the first episode, but I have caught all the other ones since then the 2nd and 3rd one which came on tonight the one tonight was very funny.

Guest Sephiroth'sWife
This series is really intresting, a soccer ace and detective at the same time, who would have thought? I guess that the soccer part was to make him sound somewhat teenage-ish. Still i like how it is put together. I can't wait to see more! :eek: :wigout:

[color=green][size=1]

I just last night watched my first full episode of Case Closed and I must say I really enjoyed it. It was humorous, smart, and just fun to watch. I liked how they explained [spoiler]how the guy commited suicide and such in a very mysterious way[/spoiler] and it was interesting watching the characters go threw different stages of evidence proving them guilty and then canceling them out. I hope all the other episodes are similar, and if it went on to around 350 episodes, it must keep evolving to please the crowd. I look forward to this series.

[B]Inspector:[/B] "Get the cause of death yet?"

[B]Forensics Man:[/B] "Were pretty sure its the knife in his back sir..."[/color][/size]

[quote name='terra']I suppose that was pointless except I got to complain about how they don't show anime on the four channels I get while here (New Zealand) ... :p[/quote]

New Zealand is so beautiful! That is my dream place to live actually.

As far as Case Closed... I only have 10 channels or so, and none of them carry anime. I get so frustrated when I can't see anything I want. But as terra said, I can just live vicariously through the rest of you! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yep! I do plan on following up on Case Closed. It's a great series. Like Sailor Moon, this series is caught in a tight spot. Alot of people don't like the dubbed. I have one thing to say- OH, WELL! No offense, but you guys are blowing this way out of common sense. Just because you don't like the dubbed, doesn't mean you have to blow it up in everyone else's faces. You're acting like babies. This doesn't refer to all Dub-haters, just the ones that can't stop talking and flaming the dub.

Anyway, I, on the other hand, didn't see the first ep, but I saw the second on up till now and I like the series. A lot.

[size=1][color=darkblue]I, actually, just started watching it last night. When I saw the comercials for it, it didn't look very appealing to me. Really, it looked like a dud. Once I actually saw it, I changed my mind completely. Now I can't wait to see the next episode, which just happens to be in an hour. I rather like the art style they use for it, interesting. I also noticed it didn't fail in humor, kind of gave me the same feel that I get from Yu Yu Hakusho. All I can really do is compliment this show, really.[/color][/size]

I have to admit, I didn't think this show was going to be good at all. The promos made it look a little boring and [i]really[/i] out of place for Adult Swim. Then I caught an episode somewhere down the line. It was brilliant. I forgot how much I love murder mysteries. The stories are well thought-out, the clues check out, and there are plenty of red herrings to throw me off my rocker. I love it.

It gives me my fix when there aren't any reruns of [i]Monk[/i] on.

The beautiful thing about this show is that it's totally episodic. Once you're acquainted with the main characters and Conan's basic situation, you don't have to keep track of one long continuous plotline. If I'm not in the mood to stay up until 12:30 or set my VCR, I can just watch it a few nights later without having to fret about missing anything important.

It kind of helps that Case Closed's dub is absolutely frigging brilliant. Now I'm certain that FUNimation didn't just luck out when they created the English version of Fruits Basket (one of the best dubs ever, in my opinion). I can't wait to see what the company does with Fullmetal Alchemist and Gunslinger Girl.

The cute artwork is somewhat misleading... while Case Closed probably won't scare that many people, it's way too dark for Toonami. Anyway, Thursday's episode featured a [spoiler]transvestite[/spoiler]--I'm sure a lot of parents (particularly those who flipped out over FLCL) wouldn't be too happy about their children seeing that. And the series [i]does[/i] revolve around various kinds of gory deaths. ^_^; Fans have questioned whether or not Case Closed could fit in with Adult Swim's current line-up, but so far I'm glad that Cartoon Network picked it up.

~Dagger~

I LOVE Case Closed! I think it is the best anime Adult Swim has gotten to this day.
I am a HUGE Sherlock Holmes fan and a HUGE mystery fan. So this show has 2 things that i really love in it that is a main part of the story. The mysterys are just tough enough that you can't solve them until the end. And Conan has a very Sherlock Holmes type of mind. He solves the mysterys very much like Sherlock Holmes would. I really like that. It is so interasting to see how Conan puts together the clues and solves the mystery.

Let me say this again, I LOVE Case Closed. :love:

• 4 weeks later...
I watch the show every day so yeah I like it. :blowup:

[COLOR=Navy]Welcome to OtakuBoards. :) The next time you create a series topic, please (a) check the directory to make sure there is no pre-existing thread about that anime, and (b) put much more thought and detail into your starting post. Doing this will not only prevent your thread from being prematurely closed, but will also set a good example for other members.

~Dagger~[/COLOR]

Guest XBebop
Good, except it always has to do with a murder. Why not rape? Or someone that stole a car? HIGH SPEED CHASES! hehehehehheheheheheheheh... I've had too much caffeine today :laugh:

When I first watched the show I thought it was kind of weird a bit, but later I got the concept (sp?) and now I'm watching it every night. I like it how this anime is just about case solving and murders and all, much different from other animes. It's also fun to gu ess who the real crimial is at the end of the show, I always dont get the right person all the time...which makes it quite fun ^.^

~Laters

I saw some fansubs of Conan way back when but have only watched a little bit on CN. It looked OK on TV but I am not in love with the show so I won't be following it.

It's a really long series; I feel sorry for poor Conan, who may never get the chance to grow up... I liked seeing him hang out with his brat pack more than I liked the stuff with Ran's wastrel father.

[color=green][size=1]

[B]"Case Closed"[/B] has become on of my little hidden obsessions. Its like watching old episodes or[B] Dragon Ball Z[/B] or what not. Its not a kiddy anime, but is still maintains that almost cutesy and quirky style while still maintaining that real mature theme. [B]Adult Swim[/B] deffinetely made a good move by tagging it with their lable (the show was originally called [B]"Detective Conan"[/B], but they went ahead with the much cooler name,[B] "Case Closed"[/B]). The show is like watching an episode of[B] "CSI"[/B] or [B]"Law and Order"[/B], but with cool cartoon characters and an almost unbeleiavable main character (you gotta admit, the whole drug making him shrink is kinda corny). I enjoy watching how the plot unfolds slowly with every little clue coming into its place, aswell, I like checking out the "Conan Hint" at the end of the episode so I can also have fun by trying to solve the mystery myself. To me, that more interactive than any card game a show can throw at you.

But all in all, my favorite episodes of [B]"Case Closed"[/B] have to be the two parters with the really weird and unusual plots. Transvestite doctor/murderer, married cousins, yadda yadda. Thats cool, aswell the better episodes are the murder mysteries, because there's more on the line. [B]"Case Closed"[/B] has become one of my favorite episodes and I watch whenever I can. Two thumbs way up on [B]Adult Swim's [/B]part.

Oh yeah, and a little tid bit,[B] [adult swim] [/B]is supposed to start airing [B]"Full Metal Alchemist"[/B] starting Januraury. Lets all look out for that.[/color][/size]

I'm not a particularly big fan of the detective genre, but I've seen the series before when it was on in china, now that I live in Australia, there is even less chance of me seeing the series, the fact that it is dubbed now had me very critical of it's presentation, esepcially since I know at least one of the dragonball Z dubbed crew is involve.

[QUOTE=ReFlux][color=green][size=1]Its not anime...

Oh yeah, and a little tid bit,[B] [adult swim] [/B]is supposed to start airing [B]"Full Metal Alchemist"[/B] starting Januraury. Lets all look out for that.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Huh? What makes you think that Case Closed isn't anime? It meets pretty much all of the qualifications which immediately spring to mind, and heaven knows it's one of the more successful series in Japan (as is evidenced by its incredible length).

Oh, and FMA is starting on November 6, along with Read or Die and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I strongly recommend all three of these excellent anime.

[quote name='Okita']the fact that it is dubbed now had me very critical of it's presentation, esepcially since I know at least one of the dragonball Z dubbed crew is involve...[/quote]

As I've made clear in other posts, I like Case Closed's dub [i]very[/i] much. But don't take my word for it--see the series in English for yourself! ;)

~Dagger~