OtakuBoards

Death

HOTpage2004

Why are we afraid to die? Some say they do and some say they dont. But they ones that dont, inside are they really afraid. Lets say that right now, someone is standing over you with a blade and is going to kill you, why do you feel afraid? Everything that is born has to die, it's nature. Even I am afraid to die, but why? Can anyone answer that?

[color=firebrick] As someone who is young [14], I'd say I'm afraid of death. I believe that young people aren't meant to die. We grow old for a reason, you know. We're not even close to living out life to its fullest.

Most older people I know, though, say that the only thing that makes them wary of death is their love for their children. Someone who loves you doesn't want to die and leave you to fend for yourself. Wouldn't know about people without children, though. [/color]

Who the in hell would woud'nt be afraid of someone behind you threatining to kill you, It's not a natural death thats just straight murder. I happen not to be afraid of death and I'm not afraid "inside" as you put it I have already come to terms with it as a part of life, but I think people are afraid of what comes after their death, complete darkness, Heven or hell, Aala...take your pick :)

Im not really scared of death, i just worry about how my death might affect my family. As im not that old if i was to die in the near future i would be annoyed because i would be unable to do the things that i want to do in my life, like have children, but im not afraid because if it happens it happens there is nothing you can do about it.

I am a buddhist so i don't worry about death. but the reason that people are afraid of is because of 1 of 2 reasons either ceasing to exists makes everthing you do useless or its because your afraid of the unknown and you subconciuosly think that some kind of rediculus evil is waiting to torture you in the after life or some other kind of torture like floating iin an infinante abyss for eternity.

now wasn't that uplifting.

Shippou

[color=indigo][size=1][font=comic sans ms]To answer the opening question, I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of being stabbed. It hurts.

Any reflection on death should bring you to the conclusion that life is short, and shouldn't be squuandered thinking about death. Death is eternal; you'll have plenty of time to think about it when you're there.[/color][/size][/font]

I do not really care (come to think of it, I just don't think of it=)), but well, anyway I'm rather to believe that we all gonna die someday so the heck? I'm also not particually religious (call that not almost at all... WELL almost because come to think of it, I almost never think of it ^_^) And YES that doesn't mean that if some weird-(beepcensored)hole shalt stand before me with a huge katana and trying to kick my (beepcensored)ss, I'm going to think 'Oh yeah that's destiny'; that's not the point, it's just, death is not something to really worry about as long as you don't have to worry about it, yo.

Come to think of it, we(me 'n' m' friends 't schoo1) also had a funny speech 'bout dying in dreams and what it's about. I particualy died a lot of times, I can remember myself being slashed (with some sword type), fallen down from the top of something high, having drowned, killed by a tiger, being choked, suffocated in vacuum and call that a nice mind (that are only the ones that I remember without specially concentrating on remembering). I may suggest that I'm rather accustomed to death that way=))

More topics? OK, what do you think of all that after-death blah-blah-blah? Like, heaven-hell-anythink. The most thing I like from what I heard is reincarnation 'coz it sounds really funny (not that I truly believe in it) but actually my easygoing mind may think that the most logic think coming after death is _n0thing_ (as long as you died^_^) just because it's meant that way, hmm? Like mind vanishing.

Hmm. Dreamsdreamsdreams
SweetDreamsArtMadeOfThis
What about nightmares? I sure have had a lot, and I myself consider them rather as fun, because, well, it's kinda adrenaline-stuff to wake up just the moment before/after you died or in some scary situation, call that _tasty_!

The One says:
--------------
Dixi
(which, according to the Romans, roughly means 'I said my words'.)

I don't really fear death. I fear the cause of death, and then it really depends on what it is. Cause if I get hit by a car I don't really have time to stop and think about it. If someone was hovering over me with a knife, I'd be worried they'd maul me first.

I've faced death too many times to fear it. The first five Easters of my life I was in intensive care cause I wasn't breathing (to do with the pollen increase). I've gotten better since then but sometimes I wake up to find I haven't been breathing for a while.

Last summer I spent the night at a friends house who had dogs. The room I was in was dog-free. When I woke up I had to be rushed to hospital. The nurse then begged me to never do that again. I didn't mind that I'd nearly killed myself, but what scared me is that the nurse didn't tell me off, she pleaded me.

This makes me sound really depressing and diseased- I'd like to inform you all I lead a happy, healthy life xP

Although I despise religion it is because I am angry for what it has done to Jesus' and God's image. I am still a strong believer of God, even if I don't think Heaven is really a 'place'- cause that would be ******. So I suppose I am not afraid of what comes after death, actually, I'm looking foward to it ;]

(Note: I am not suicidal either x_x)

The only thing which I actually have a phobia of is decay. It frightens me to an abnormal extent. Which is why I would like to be cremated rather than anything else.

Well I had my say, and I think I suceeded in sounding like an attention seeker of sorts.

"Death is not the end, but merely a transition." - Dream Theater

[color=darkblue]I've actually faced death before. Before that, I didn't fear it, but I do now. I always thought I was invincible, that I'd have plenty of time to rectify my mistakes and make peace with God. But now I know that's not the case.

Awhile back, not so very long ago, but not recently either, I took a bunch of pills to get high. As they took effect, I literally felt my life slipping away. My heart was not beating right. I felt like my soul was not attached to my body right. I woke up the next day in the intensive care unit with a failing liver. Thank God the doctors were able to save me and that my mother found me in time.

I fear my death because I don't want to put my mother through the agony of it. I fear it because I don't know what will happen to my soul. If I knew I'd just cease to be, or that I'd go to heaven, or that my mother would not be hurt by it, that'd be one thing. But I don't know those things.

One thing's for sure... I want her to go before me. She's already lost her brother to suicide. No mother should have to bury her child. I know that from when I had to bury mine.[/color]

[color=#009966](This is my own opinion, and I do not intend to go against anyone else's beliefs.)

I think that most people who are scared of death are either 1.) worried about what their death will do to their loved ones, 2.) unsure where they're going in the Afterlife (if they believe in one at all. I guess the thought of someone being "Nothing" would be a little unnerving to them.) , or 3.) they're not sure if it's their "time" to die. Maybe they think there's still alot of things they have to do or set right. There could be more reasons. Heck, there probably [i]are[/i] more. It just depends on what's going on in the person's mind, I guess.

Then again, maybe some people can't draw the line between [i]dying[/i] and [i]death.[/i] Yes, I'm scared about [i]how[/i] I die. No one wants a long, painful, torture-like death. Heh. I'd prefer something quick like an instant poison or just a large lightning bolt to knock my lights out then and there. But as for death itself, I'm not afraid. Sure, I'd have my regrets. Maybe I will die in a car crash before I go to college. Oh well. There's not much I could do about that. :p But death's not a bad thing.

Anyway, that's my two-cents worth.[/color]

Guest Chris
i'm afraid of death on instinct most of the time. when i think about it, sometimes i don't want to die because my life is going great and because all the people i care about. other times i want to because i feel like total crap and i figure that in being a christian, christ is waiting for me and all that other stuff you probably don't want to here right now.when i truely think about it, i just don't care. heaven is perfect and the world is ******. the only reason i would have to live is the people i love, the stuff god would still have me to do, and maybe hear godsmack in concert a few more times. but as i see it, what happens, happens. there's nothing i can do to change it, and if there is, i probably won't know what the hell i'm doing anyway. so whatever, i just leave it up to god, since he is only god and all. damn i sound religous. heh.

[quote name='HOTpage2004']Why are we afraid to die? Some say they do and some say they dont. But they ones that dont, inside are they really afraid. Lets say that right now, someone is standing over you with a blade and is going to kill you, why do you feel afraid? Everything that is born has to die, it's nature. Even I am afraid to die, but why? Can anyone answer that?[/quote]

There are some who do not fear death. Whether that's because they are better culturally equipped to deal with it (in the West we run away from it so much that we naturally fear it) or whether they just don't think about it, there are some who don't fear it.

But death is a big deal for everyone. Some fear it, some celebrate it, some can't get enough of inflicting it, some meditate upon it, some are so deeply affected by it that they are numb to it, but it has a great affect on all of us.

The way animals deal with death is a little different. One of our cats died, and all the other did was lick it's face, kind of a "goodbye kiss" and that was that. She wasn't particularly bothered after that point. Animals really don't seem anywhere near as concerned about death as we do. They only really seem to fear death at the point where they could be killed- kind of an instinctive thing. whereas humans fear the inevitability of death itself.

When you think about it, it doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would something evolve to put such emphasis on such a great anticlimax, as death? That is, to fear or to look to death while it is far off, and either fear that there is nothing later or to look forward to what is- rather than to fear it because of our instinct to survive.

The only solution I can really think of is that we're simply not meant to die, or that we're not simply meant to die and that there is in fact more. And actually, there is absolutely nothing in our genetic code which tells us that we have to die. Don't think that's some stupid Christian science rubbish- I knew that long before I even became a christian.

consider this-

God made people, without the original intention that they would die, they would just live with him for ever, and then all of a sudden, he has to change his plans because man just made a stupid mistake, and people have to die. God already has a plan to redeem them and to bring them to fullness of life, without death. But because the world itself has been so affected by man and his stupid ways, God can't actually do it here and now, but has to start from scratch at some point in the future, with a new world, full of redeemed people who through [b]grace[/b] managed to get in on the plan.

Consider that actually the plan of redemption is for everybody, despite the fact that not everybody sees and accepts it.

If God made us with no intention of death, and then all of a sudden we started dying, don't you think it would be a pretty big deal for people to cope with? We just can't get our heads quite around what it must be like to be dead, because it's just not what's meant to happen, so we fear it. Or we try to understand it and become pretty morbid, lifeless people. Or maybe if we're sadistic we inflict it upon others, because we can and it makes us feel powerful.

Also, if God's purpose for us then changed to live on after death, then surely people would start looking beyond it, even preparing the way for each other, celebrating the passing from this life to whatever is to come.

Animals on the other hand, tend to see a dead animal and either start eating it or don't really react that much to it.

Of course, the other part of the story is that everyone continues to live after death, but not everyone is in on the plan that God has for redemption.

And for God's sake, don't interpret what I'm saying as "you're all going to hell cos you're bad, I'm going to heaven cos I'm good". I'm not any better than anyone here- all I've done is accepted Jesus and the second chance he's given me on life, and hence I am forgiven. It's not as if it's a particularly hard or holy thing to do, and nor does it require that you change yourself in any way, or that you be worthy to do it- you just need to ask god for it, exactly as you are.

If you can't or won't do that, then I'll pray for you, but beyond that it's all down to you and God. Assuming my beliefs are accurate, you have to understand that I don't want to see anyone not given a second chance and eternal life- I don't want to see anyone who is in fact no worse than me, condemned to a much worse fate.

Most people do a lot of complaining that the Bible teaches that those who don't believe in Jesus are destined to a not-so-brilliant-fate. Well, that's exactly why I keep raving on every so often about how you can opt out of it- because I don't like that fact any more than you do.

I'm going to stop there, to avoid going on an even greater tangent.

Thus concludes my view on death.

I'm not that worried about death much except the type of dead I would like and wouldn't like to have. On the main issue, I'm worried what will happen after death, will their be rencarnation like some religions beleive in or will there be a Heaven and Hell? Sometimes when I think about this topic too much I get scared and think about the possibilities of what might happen after I die. but to get back on topic, I'm at the boarder linbe of scared and not scared of death.

~Laters

[QUOTE=Deedlit][color=#009966](This is my own opinion, and I do not intend to go against anyone else's beliefs.)

I think that most people who are scared of death are either 1.) worried about what their death will do to their loved ones, 2.) unsure where they're going in the Afterlife (if they believe in one at all. I guess the thought of someone being "Nothing" would be a little unnerving to them.) , or 3.) they're not sure if it's their "time" to die. Maybe they think there's still alot of things they have to do or set right. There could be more reasons. Heck, there probably [i]are[/i] more. It just depends on what's going on in the person's mind, I guess.

Then again, maybe some people can't draw the line between [i]dying[/i] and [i]death.[/i] Yes, I'm scared about [i]how[/i] I die. No one wants a long, painful, torture-like death. Heh. I'd prefer something quick like an instant poison or just a large lightning bolt to knock my lights out then and there. But as for death itself, I'm not afraid. Sure, I'd have my regrets. Maybe I will die in a car crash before I go to college. Oh well. There's not much I could do about that. :p But death's not a bad thing.

Anyway, that's my two-cents worth.[/color][/QUOTE]

I think that sums it up nicely for me too :]

[COLOR=TEAL][SIZE=1]I don't fear death in the traditional sence because I'm a Christain and I believe in the Holy Trinity etc but I still fear death somewhat. I don't fear it because my life is going to end and there won't be anything left of me save for a Corpse in a grave or ashes scattered where-ever, I fear it because of the change that will occur when I die. I'm talking about going to heaven to be judged by Jesus and God and I have no idea what they will say about my life or what I will say because, hopefully, it is a long time before I shall 'meet my maker' so to speak.

Thats my opinion on the matter and if anyone wishes to agree or dis-agree with me thats fine.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]I believe Captain Hook summed it up nicely in the movie 'Hook' when he said that death is the final adventure.

I'd like to go on that adventure a long time from now. I already dodged the proverbial bullet once and I am in no rush to do so again until I"m extremely old and have no reason to live any longer.

I don't neccessarily think people are afraid of death, but of leaving the world behind.[/size]

[quote name='KnightOfTheRose][size=1']I don't neccessarily think people are afraid of death, but of leaving the world behind.[/size][/quote]

[size=1]I think that's a big part of it. I'm not afraid of dying. I don't know what - if anything - happens after death, and right now I don't think it matters. I have a life to live and that's more important to me. If I died now, it would suck because I'd miss out on a future full of adventures, but at least I would have tried to live my life to its fullest up to that point. There's no point in worrying over something that might or might not happen.

What I am afraid of, however, is my loved ones dying. It's not this huge, constant fear or anything, but it's there. And it's definitely one thing that I will [i]never[/i] be ready for, no matter what.[/size]

[quote name='HOTpage2004']Why are we afraid to die? Some say they do and some say they dont. But they ones that dont, inside are they really afraid. Lets say that right now, someone is standing over you with a blade and is going to kill you, why do you feel afraid? Everything that is born has to die, it's nature. Even I am afraid to die, but why? Can anyone answer that?[/quote]

This is an awful comparison. How is the idea of being brutally murdered by someone a good comparison to the prescence (or lack) of fear of death itself?

You cannot draw anything of value concerning someone's thoughts on death fome some lame hypothetical situation like that. I'd be more concerned about the pain involved in actually being stabbed twenty times than I would be about actually leaving this plane of existance.

Death is simply another face of Beauty. For nothing is beautiful unless it is fleeting, and nothing can be loved unless it may be gone. And Death herself loves ultimately. And out of all the creatures great and small, she loves the butterflies the most. Because they are fragile like whispers, and because they give pleasure to the beholder, and because they are lovely--even when they are no more.

If everyone could be like a butterfly, no one would fear it.

• 4 weeks later...
Death......Why must one fear something, that is inevitable, and is just another adventure in life. It is just a new begining of a new life somewhere else, or even not. It's just another lifelong dream that we have, in an eternal sleep. Many think of death as a void, that is why they fear it. But it isn't a void.....But its another utopia, inside the original, but even more beautiful than before. Not many see it that way, they don't see the beauty in the "afterlife" as some say. It is like a butterfly as mckaylyn has said. beautiful, no matter, and fragile yet strong. It all comes down to the way you look at the concept. I personally, look at the beauty of death, But yes, many fear it, because they don't see it. We all live in a dream.

I kinda go with mckaylyn's theory.

well, on a kinda twist to this... question, i would liek to ask "Whats the purpose of life anyway?" were born to die, thats the simplicity of it. i mean, all the progress we make in life, whats it for? sure some people believe in religiona and whatnot, and thye believe that their religion will carry them into the next life. but im talking about the present. this life. we work our a$$es of to buy ***** we dont need. as far as i can tell, the only reason we live is to have fun. so why do people work? so they can have a nice life. But whats the definition of a nice life? because in the end nature wins and takes us from everything weve ever had. im not really afraid of death (just the forms of which death occur) i justbelieve that theres something on the other side of that huge, black, wall. but one of my personal beliefs is that we dont notice when we die. after we die we wake up to another life, conscious of it, but not conscious of our previous life.