OtakuBoards

Bands with Good Female Singers?

Lilt

[size=1][color=purple]Hey, does anyone know of any bands with good female singers? (Specifically lead, but background is fine too.) They can be really any genre except for pop. I'm tired of pop right now. :sleep: Also, soloists are good to. And please be detailed in your description of why you like them or why you think they are good. I don't want to blow my money on another boring CD again.[/color][/size]

A good band with a girl as lead is Killing Heidi. Their members are Ella Hooper (The Singer), Jesse Hooper (Ella's brother, lead guitarist, Songwriter), Adam Pedretti ( The Drummer), Warren Jenkin ( The Bass player).

The band came from Violet Town in Victoria, Australia. So far the band have released two albums, titled Present and Reflector. As well as their two albums, Killing Heidi have also released their new single, I AM with the Spiderman 2 album.

It must have been a fairy tale first year for Killing Heidi, two tracks and their album hitting number one, half a million albums sold that year, winning four aria awards. Since then only one band has collected more ARIAs than them, with Delta Goodrem who starred on Neigbours (A popular Australian soap).

The Lyrics to one of my favourite songs by them-

HEAVENSENT

Stumbling along
Looking at nothing
Cos your eyes
Always on your feet
If u ever looked up
You'd see the sun
In the morning
Wonder why things are so bleak

Boring and old
Are the things your told
About the outside world
Just wearing black wont take care of that
Dont be stupid girl

Walking
Always talking
Never listening
You just kick back
How do you handle
All the ********
That gets thrown your way

Boring and old are the things youre told
About the outside world
Just wearing black
Wont take care of that
Dont be stupid girl
Oh
Down on your knees
Trying to appease
Somebody's mixed up statement
Cos in not much time
Your beliefs that are lies will be left by the pavement

I've been doing some thinking
About all your preaching and I dont wanna know
Cos thats just conforming
And that is not
What you wanna be

Boring and old are the things your told
About the outside world
Just wearing black wont take care of that dont be stupid girl
Dont be stupid
Down on your knees trying to appease
Somebody's mixed up statement
Cos in not much time
Your beleifes that are lies
Will be left by the pavement
They'll be left by the way
Left by the pavement
Ow oh oh
Oh
Dont be so stupid girl
You really are
Just dressed in black wont take care of that
Dont be
Be so stupid girl

The reason I like Killing Heidi is because their songs have attitude and excellent guitar and drum playing.

If you're looking for a good female vocalist, there are many different bands and individual artists that I could reccomend to you. Firstly, go for the classics that have been tested and true.

I don't know what kind of music you like exactly, so I'm not sure if you'd appreciate Aretha Franklin or not. But I do reccomend looking into her music. She has such a powerful and beautiful voice, and it's captured generations.

Also, I'd like to mention Clatter. I honestly haven't heard much of them, but from what I have heard, I really like.

And I couldn't forget The Birthday Massacre. I absolutely love these guys. Their music can be tough to find, but you can listen to samples of most of their songs straight from their website. Though, in fair warning, the website can take a while to load.

Nightwish's lead singer, Tarja, has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard. Extremely powerful and varied, but then again it has to be when you are singing opera in a metal band :] I would reccomend "Gethsemane" and "Wanderlust".

Delta Goodrem's voice is also very nice. I suppose she is pop ~ oh well, she's good pop then ("Not Me Not I" and "Predictable"). Enya is also nice, and they are neo-classical (can never remember the names x_x I liked her on the LotR album).

Madonna has always had one of the most amazing voices in the music world in my opinion, but I would recommend her older stuff such as her compilation album "Something to Remember" - "Frozen" is an incredible song by her in which she is some sort of pagan goddess (I love the video). Eva Cassidy is cool too ~ smooth jazz n blues ("Wade in the Water" and "You've Changed" have always fascinated me, they sound like a female modern Sinatra).

Sandra from the Guano Apes has a cool voice, although it's not exactly girly. It's very rough and somewhat deep when she's singing along to heavier rock, but in songs like "Rain" and "Scapegoat" it transforms dramatically.

Bjork is neo-classical with a grunge/electronica twist, and the lead singer whom we'll call Bjork for typing reasons x_x has a really odd voice with a heavy accent which suits the music extremely well. I reccomend "Joga", "99 Red Balloons" and "Army of Me".

L- Seven used to have an awesome lead singer called Larissa Strickland, who has a really rough evil voice stuiable for her part as a ***** in their song "Shove".

Then there is Ayumi Hamasaki if you want to try something really different. She's a J-pop singer with a really captivating voice. It sounds a bit nasal as does most J-music, but I like it. The music sounds a bit like the stuff that is spat out of a DDR machine so if you like that sort of stuff check out "Evolution" and "Fly High".

Ah yes, last but not least Ladytron. Their voices are barely above a whisper but really creepy sounding against the new wave like music. Helen Marnie and Mira Aroyo are a fantastic pair. I would reccomend "Playgirl", "Jet Age", "Seventeen" and "Evil".

I'm all for efferts in the posts but if it answers the question than should that not be enough. well since I said that than this is three sentences. My vote for good female singers is the distillers.

Shippou

Guest cesar906
Bands with good female singers are Go betty go and lillix all I know :sleep: :o :p ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :wigout: :flaming: :devil:

Quewn stafani from no doubt is a pretty good singer. I've liked a couple of her songs. Than theres the well known band Evanecense (I can never speel that word right) thats a pretty good band too. She's has a great singing voice. I liked broken with seether alot!!

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][I]Hmm... good female singers you say?Well.. I have different categories!! Some have a song out beside them because thats my favorite song that they sing! lol(=^-^=)

Rock::
Amy (Haunted) - band- Evanescence

Pop::
Beyonce (Naughty Girl)
Jessica Simpson (Take my breath away) -dumb as a rock, but I love her voice-
Lillix Group (don't really know any of there songs, but oh well, they are pretty good)

Reba M. (Somebody)
Gretchen Williams (Redneck Woman)[/I][/COLOR]

Damn you Shippou, you stole my band!!! Well, I obviously choose The Distillers. Brody Dalle is the singer and she does some of the tightest punk vocals. She has a very raunchy, loud, and most of all, Powerful voice. If you want proof of this then listen to a song called The Hunger, that's probably my favorite song by them. Plus Brody plays guitar and I think she's hot. How could that get any better? She used to be Brody Armstrong because she was married to Tim Armstrong from Rancid but not too long ago they divorced. The Distillers latest cd, Coral Fang, just came out last year so everybody go get it cause The Distillers kick ***!!!

Hrm. I don't really know what you are looking for. I don't listen to singers with absolutely perfect voices for the most part... they aren't involved in music I enjoy. If you want, I'd go to Amazon.com and just stream songs by these bands and see if you like it.

Sonic Youth has Kim Gordon. She's definitely not for everyone as she does not have a typical style. However, she does have a nice voice when she really wants to use it. Be warned that the band also has a male vocalist that's used just as often (if not moreso), so you might have to search for a track featuring her.

Kim Deal is part of the Pixies and does vocals for a few of their random songs. She's also lead vocals for The Amps and The Breeders, which are both great bands... although I think The Amps release is far better than any Breeders work, honestly. I'm completely in love with her voice.

Scarling and Jack Off Jill both feature Jessicka. She has a childlike choir voice in most cases, but she also belts out a lot of screams... particularly in JOJ, which is more metal influenced than Scarling, which is more noise rock.

Curve is another wonderful example. A lot of their music can be described as shoegazer, but they move away from that sometimes (especially lately). The vocalist, Toni Holliday, has an absolutely amazing voice. They're the main influence for Garbage (I'd say Garbage ripped them off too, given the situations).

There's also Rasputina. They're a three piece cello-rock group. I don't know how better to describe them. They're definitely not for everyone, but they're a fun band to listen to sometimes. Good voices.

Cibo Matto is another good one. A lot of the time Miho Hittori isn't even trying to sound good, but when she bothers to sing well, I do enjoy her voice. Stereo Type A is probably the more accessible of their two albums. They're generally described as trip hop, but there's a large rock influence on Viva! La Woman.

My Bloody Valentine has a female vocalist. They're a good band, but the music is pretty much a wall of guitars and noise. It's still harmonic and the vocals are haunting, but it's hard to say who would enjoy them.

Pretty Girls Make Graves have a female vocalist, who I feel is quite enjoyable. But again, she doesn't really try to sound all that amazing. They're stuck in "punk revival", according to anything I read. Worth trying if that's your thing.

Death in Vegas is another band with two vocalists... male and female. Like Sonic Youth, they don't do duets. It's either one or the other. They have a lot of rock songs, but they also have a lot of electronica songs. The girl usually sings on the latter. I really like her voice, but I wish she sang on more of the rocking songs.

I figured someone would mention Bjork by now. I don't really know tons about her, admittedly. I only own one CD and I have a hard time getting into it... but she's definitely worth a try. Her next CD is nothing but voices and human sounds sampled to make music. Sounds kick ***.

For me, it would be Evanessence (am I right?). If you really don't want to waste your money for some crappy albums, I suggest you buy this. You will not be sorry.

I bought their album as well that I'm really captivated by the voice of their female lead vocalist name Amy/Amie Lee. i especially like her voice in the song "My Immortal" and "Broken" with Seather. I like how she really put her emotions in her songs. In "My Immortal" you can feel the pain and anguish of that someone who misses his/her "special one". And in "Broken" which is one of the OST of the movie "The Punisher" shares the same anthem as "My Immortal"

Female vocalists huh? I think I know quite a few good bands with a good female vocalist. For lead singers, there is Evanescence which is probably already mentioned. Then there is Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, and Kittie. As for a background female vocalist, try out Cradle of Filth, many of their songs have a woman singing in the background.

Dolore O'Riordan w/the Cranberries. You can't go wrong with her. She's got the type of voice that can be very soft and sad, and rise magically into a burst of strength. And it's not even as hokey as I described it. It's actually much, much better than I described it. I don't know what's wrong with me.

And an Irish accent. That's just neato.

lol

Rasmus are a good rock band with a lead female singer. "In The Shadows" is a hit that they produced a while ago.

Evanescence is an awesome band. The lead singer in Evanescence, Amy-Lee, is a great singer.

Seeing as you don't like pop, don't bite my head off. But Britney Spears has the most beautiful voice I've ever heard. "Everytime" just goes to show she has an amazing voice.

Since Lacuna Coil was mentioned, I figured I'd chime in. I've recommended them in threads here in the past and I'll do the same now. You can actually find a nice limited edition version of their new CD in Target's "Breakout Artists" section. Worth trying out.

Not all the vocals are female with that group. Just a warning.

[QUOTE=Fall]Rasmus are a good rock band with a lead female singer. "In The Shadows" is a hit that they produced a while ago.
[/QUOTE]

...isn't the lead singer of the Rasmus male?

I don't particularly like them, so I might be wrong, but...

Well, if you want to find good female singers, I could spout off a dozen names of old school jazz and blues singers, but few people like jazz any more (kids today...).

[QUOTE=ColourDeaf]...isn't the lead singer of the Rasmus male?

Well, if you want to find good female singers, I could spout off a dozen names of old school jazz and blues singers, but few people like jazz any more (kids today...).[/QUOTE]

I love jazz and blues, hit me with a few, I need variety in my media player.

[color=darkviolet]Well, Briteny Spears is pretty cool. But uh, so is luke warm water.

Seriously though:

Gwen Stefani from No Doubt. She's just got a very powerful set of lungs. I loved her voice in Bathwater. It was so, I don't know how to put it, breath taking maybe?

Stevie Nicks. My husband would refuse to converse with me if I didn't mention her. Her voice is very sensual and classic. She's managed to survive quite a while. A few of my favoirtes from her are: Leather and Lace, Rhianna, and Landslide

The Dixie Chicks. Call me unAmerican for this one, but I don't care. They have one of the best vocalists in country music. Best songs: Am I the only one, Good Bye Earl, Travelin' Soldier, Top of the World, and Mississippi.

Solo artists:

Julie Roberts: She's a new country singer her first single is I don't want to break down here from her self titled album. One of these days, I'll buy it.

Gretchen Wilson. She's been mentioned once already, but I can't resist. I love how she draws out the ho in her song Homewrecker. And of course, Redneck Woman is a song I can identify with (even if I did grow up in the burbs and shop at Victoria's secret.)

Amy Dalley (notice a trend yet? Well, you will) I haven't been able to find her CD yet, but Men don't change is one of her songs. The chorus is the best:

[b]Cupid works for the devil be suspicious if he cries
Yeah, sex is always good. Oh but that don't make it right.
Chocolate is a bandaid no matter what they say
Shoes don't stretch. Men don't change[/b]

Reba Mc Intyre: I saw her in concert along with Sara Evans and Martina McBride back in 2001 and loved every minute of it. A few of my favorite songs from her are: Forever Love (at the concert they had this big screen showing shots of guys who had just come back from wars and at the end they showed a picture of this guy with his hand on the Vietnam Vets memorial.That song made me cry) Survivor, The greatest man I never knew. (also very touching) and Fancy.

I'd mention more, but my fingers are starting to cramp.[/color]

[QUOTE=ColourDeaf]...isn't the lead singer of the Rasmus male?

[/QUOTE]I'm sorry, I should have put more wording into my post.

Before they became "The Rasmus", they were known as "Zero Knot" (translated to English, the original name was Finnish). This was when they had a lead female singer, her name Sammy Wiltmore. When she left the band, they changed their name to "The Rasmus" (also Finnish) with their new lead singer (Lauri) joining the band.

...I've got no idea how come I keep thinking they still have a female lead singer. Sorry 'bout that.