OtakuBoards

Favorite Final Fantasy Game

Burori

I have only really played 2 Final Fantasy games, hwich is funny because I consider myself a huge Final Fantsy fan. The first is Final Fantasy X, which I really liked, though I gould never beat one of the later bosses. The other is Final Fnatasy Tactics Advanced. This is a really good Tactics title with no linearity. I have Final Fantasy 7, but after 2 hours of playing my PS2 broke.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]Well. . out of all the Final Fantasy games. . I think that I only really prefer Tactics and Tactics Advance. . I'm not a big fan of their mainstream RPG line. I don't remember if I have ever been, but I probably liked the original few that came out. .

There isn't really any reason behind me not liking the others. Maybe, it's just that it felt too much story, and not enough good gameplay? Just my thoughts on the matter. I know I liked watching my brother play FF 7 back in the day. . couldn't keep up with the story, because every time I left, he played hours without me watching, so I never really caught most of the story. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]I would have to say my favorite Final Fantasy game would be Final Fantasy 2(IV in Japan I think). It's the one where you play as Cecil, the commander of the Red Wings. I really like the storyline [spoiler]and how you're betrayed by your king right in the beginning and your fight back against him just rocked.[/spoiler]. Throughout the game, I was kept entertained. I also enjoy Tactics, haven't had a chance to play Tactics Advance yet.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Palatino Linotype]I started my FF experience with Final Fantasy 8...skipped a few and went straight into Final Fantasy X and X-2...I think there the best so far, both in CG and configuration, plus the fact, FFX was the first of the FF games to actually have a sequel, it got my intrest...I also like the plot and storyline of FFX & X-2...Im a sucker for romantic stuff, i didnt even finish the X-2 because I didnt want it to be over...but anyway...does anyone have any information on the next FF game? :D [/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 months later...
Lately, I began my hunt for every Final Fantasy game, and I plan to beat them all, even the weird ones for Gameboy. So, in the last month Ive come up with 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. Ive already beaten number 1, gotten to disk 2 in 8, and before my PS2 went kaput, I got nearly to the end of 10.

My question is which one is best? Does #1s simple plot and addictive nature tickle your fancy? Do you like #2s adventurous confusingness? How about your pirated FF 3? 4, 5, and the legendary 6 for the SNES, or the even more legendary FF 7? What about the love story that is FF 8, the adventure that is FF 9, and the drama that is FF10?

From what Ive played, Id have to pick FF 10 for my favorite, but it barely beats FF 1. I like the fact that 10s story isn't too hard to understand, yet not to simple. I like that its more like the classic Final Fantasies. Two of the past parts are the turn basewd gameplay, and switching out party members during battles. Im sure FF 9 will be one that I like a lot once I rack up a few more hours...

Also, I thought Id note that FF 3 will be arriving for the DS this year!

I'd have to choose Final Fantasy 9. Sure 10 had it's awesome graphics and was the first to have voice overs but I couldn't stand Tidus or Riku.
FF9 has Vivi man. And Vivi kicks serious arse. I know why alot of people dislike 9. It's a return to the old Final Fantasy games with kingdoms and castles. But that's what made the original games great wasn't it. 9 also had characters that you could easily relate to. You've got the funny girl obsessed Zidane, the depressing Vivi, the protective Stenier, and the tomboy Garnet/Dagger. It's a very emotional game because of the character relationships that are made.

For story, I have to say 10. It was a very detailed story that didn't go too deep in philosophies like 8 and 7 did.

For a challange, definetly 5. With so many jobs available that makes the original's jobs dwarfs as well as sooooooo many strategies plus a somewhat decent storyline and the uber bosses Gilgamesh, Shinryu, and Final X-Death, it makes you pretty much cuss like a sailor for the difficulty.

however, we really need to give props to 7 for being the original milestone that helped for a greater understanding of the RPG and for giving us moments that we will never forget in our history as gamers.

I'm gonna play 7 again.....

[Font=garamond] [Color=red]I suppose I'd have to go with 10. I mean, I enjoyed 7 quite a bit, but FFX was my favorite departure. It was easy to get into, & just all around fun. Granted, I've only played FF7 - FFX-2, so my judgement stands at a rather biased circumstance. But, still, 10s my pick. [/Color] [/Font]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Perhaps my favorite would have to be the first. As they say, the first in a series is almost always the best. And for this, it holds true.

That is to say, however, that you are not including the vastly popular FFXI for the computer and the PS2. I realize that this is an MMORPG and that it may not be included because of that fact that it can never truly be "beaten;" but, in essence, since the others are replayed so many times, is it safe to say that they can be beaten?

For my choice, Final Fantasy for the Nintendo is definitely the greatest. And the remake for Playstation was just sublime. But, opting for a more open mind, Final Fantasy XI far outweighs any of the others, even the very playable (and replayable) Final Fantasy Tactics.

~J'orgaan Ellven'and

P.S. Lord Dante, you are a clever one, referring to the Wizard's First Rule in your signature. Of course, I refer to the devotion said by the people in the People's Palace during Darken Rahl's rule. So, I assume we both like Terry Goodkind?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

The first FF game that I played was FF8 which I was incredibly dissapointed with which rates it nowhere near my top though I think that it was a combination of Overkill on Cutscenes, Uninteresting Characters and a stryline with so many holes it is like one of my tank tops. The second one that I played was FF 9 which was easily more enjoyable than 8 because it had better characters and a more interesting storyline. The third FF was 6 which rates at number 1 on my list because of reasons given by others, It actually had a truly hateable villian in the form of Kefka. FF 7 was the next game that I played and I found it to be slightly overrated because of mostly the storyline (Around this time I was used to higher quality stories now). Next came FF X,FF 5 and FF 2 (I downloaded it onto my computer. Truly excellent game).

In my order of FF preference, I have included what I thought about various aspects of the game:

1) FF 6 (Interesting Characters, Hateable Villians, Strong Storyline, Balanced Boss battles)
2) FF 9 (Entertaning Characters, Wasn't very fond of the Villians, Fun Storyline, Strong Fights)
3) FF X (A few good characters, Unpleasent Enemies but not truly hateable, Hole ridden Story, Amazing battle system)
4) FF 7 (Excellent characters, Strong battle system, Villians were a bit meh, Decent though predictable story, Unbalanced boss battles)
5) FF 2 ( Interesting characters, Not far enough through to comment on Villians or story)
6) FF 5 (Didn't play for long enough but it had good character classes)
7) FF 8 (Hated it absolutely, Predictable Story, Despisable Characters yet not even hate inspiring villians, Boring Junctioning and Boss battles)

In the originals, Final Fantasy wasn't all about character development and side quests. Hearken (yes, I said hearken >>flame shield<<) back to the days of Final Fantasy 1, 2, and 3, and you will see that the games used to sport a medievalish, fantasial feel that was lost in the technological worlds of FF games like 7, 8, and 10.

The reason I like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles so much, is that it returns to that fantasial, chimerical, ethereal feel of the Final Fantasy games, and brings it back in such a force that you can really get lost in the magic of the game.

CC and I were (almost if not) favorite video game at first sight. Literally. I was infatuated when I first saw the commercial. In fact, I only played the game once, for about an hour. But it was wonderful, maybe a little better than it was I remember it, 'twas over a year ago. Anyway, I have a screensaver, the soundtrack (which I love), and it's my Pc desktop, and I played it once.

I'm still a Final Fantasy newbie but I have to say my favorites are FF7 and FF8. I got started in Final Fantasy with FF7. FF7 is so enjoyable to play. I've never had to spend so much time on one game other than FF7. Some of the situations in the game were kind of challenging to me. The greatest thing about it was the materia system. It required me to think about all the info about my emenies and what I should do in order to create the best possible outcome of battle. I like FF8 because the graphics were great for the PS1

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1]VIII. No, really. I love FF8.

It had the fastest battles among the FFs I've played (6 onwards minus 11 & 12); only X-2 comes close. The Junction system allowed for more customization than, say, 7's Materia and it was in 8 that summon monsters became more than just spells.

Overused RPG elements like the damsel in distress, the evil witch, the reluctant hero/swordsman and his band of merry men were rehashed into characters we might actually meet in real life (headmasters, puppet presidents and what have you). I don't know, it just felt close to our times.

Plus, Triple Triad was great fun. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I remember picking up Final Fantasy in Toys R' Us when I was about seven, it was twelve bones, the most expensive game on the rack, but it looked really cool. Looking back, it had the only story that could keep up with Zelda, besting even Dragon Warrior, which I hated because of having to select what I wanted to do from a menu instead of the game figuring out what I wanted to do. However, being only seven, I didn't have the brain cells to beat it, much less understand some parts of the story.

Anyways, several years later, I found a familiar game title in the newest issue of Gamepro, Final Fantasy VII. I was ten I think, and I bought the game while I was with a friend. Bad idea, I got home and fell in love with the game immediately. However, my dad's boss happened to be a fan of the game. He told my dad that there were incredibly violent scenes and sexual innuendo (which there were, but nowhere close to how dad was saying it). So my parents returned the game and told me I could get it again when I was old enough for the teen rating.

So I went back to the original Final Fantasy again and finally beat it. I understood why there was such a massive amount of these games. So I went up the ladder. I bought a Super Nintendo for Forty bucks and played Final Fantasy VI (or FF3). I ddin't quite get the game, and it was rather hard to me.

But that didn't matter, I finally turned thirteen and bought Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and Tactics all at once. I had been saving up for a while. I beat VII, beat VIII, and got stuck in Tactics (and eventually beat it a year later).

I have now played the entire main series. Here is where I rank them...

STORY:

FFVIII: Boring at points, especially at the beginning. THe end makes it worth it though, it had the best (and in some cases, worst) ending in the series. The whole thing was a good story. My only real problem with it was that all the characters felt like the same person, except for probably Zell.

FFVI: I hated the game play, but I loved the story. It had probably the darkest story (if it were remade today it would be darker than VII). It had quite an evil bad guy who was not without his weaknesses. All of the characters felt and played a lot different.

FFVII: The story stayed interesting the entire time. Things were blowing up, main characters die and betray you, deep psychological issues, and really cool characters.

FFIV: You feel betrayed every minute playing this game. Right from the beginning, the king makes you burn down a town, and your best friend turns on you. It's very engaging, but not as much as the above games.

GAMEPLAY:

FFV: This game had the best customization without being annoying about it. In fact, all of the newer games seem to borrow things with this one. The only problem with this one is that it's incredibly boring compared to some of the other games. The story was incredibly dry to me.

FFIX: I loved the "back to the past" idea. I liked the extra position and I liked learning skills quickly from weapons that changed how your character stood in battle. This game is simply amazing. I also like how you can beat it in twelve hours or 200 hours.

FFIV: This game oozes cool, as you start off meeting Tella, who seems like he'll die, because he has pretty much every spell in the game from the start. He doesn't die (for as long as I've played it, I finally picked it up a few weeks ago). All the characters are incredibly different. The only problem I have with it is that it's basically a "protect Tella from harm" situation as he slowly kills the bosses with the opposite of the boss's element.

FF7: The next best gameplay in my opinion. Total customization, everyone is a magic user, everyone is a fighter except for Aeris, but even through all that similarity between the characters they all play differently. The only problem for me was how annoying the customization process was, you had to juggle having a powerful character or powerful materia, as every materia you put on decreased stats and makes some bosses incredibly hard to beat. My favorite materia (except for the ones you get from the weapons) is Enemy Skill, it doesn't subtract stats, and the mana costs are low for what you get.

That's it! Sorry for being long-winded about it.

wow... I wish I can say I was a long time fan of Final fantasy. But my first game was Final fantasy 7, and I've fallen in love with the series ever since.

I love them all and for very different reasons

Final fantasy 7: the gameplay was fun...but I think the shock factor with aeris was what made this game one of the most memorable. can't wait for "Advent children" to finally come out.

Final Fantasy 8: I like that whole love/hate relationship. I also like rinoa (even though I think I'm one of the few people that do.

Final Fantasy 9: zidane was one of the most likable main male character that I've played in a while. He was sweet, funny, and a little hentai. But Vivi was my favorite male character of all the final fantasy games. (go black mage!!)

final fantasy X: what a beautifully done game. The graphics were wonderful, and the gameplay was fun, especially the way you can switch characters midbattle.

FFX-2: I wish I could say this was my favorite because it was an all female cast...but it wasn't. I was disappointed that they didn't continue the story land as much as they simply just stuck the characters you new, in another type of situation. :animesigh

My favorite is FFVIII. I dont really know why people hated this one so much. Is it b/c they broke away from the cute little character sprites? Anyway, the love story is what made it for me. Watching the development between Squall and Rinoa was quite nice. This game had a nice feel and experience that I felt some of the other ones didn't really have. Go FFVIII!

I like lists...

FF1: The only one Ive beaten, and one of my favorites. I love the simplicity of it and its open-ended ness. Raising all of my charachters to level 99 and killing every last enemy is an experience I will not soon forget. Omega pwns your ***!

FF2: So far this is my least favorite Final Fantasy. Yes it had the first real story and stuff, but it really, really sucks. All of the charachters have next to no MP making the spells hard to use. Also, the chick is unable to hit any enemies and therefore is useless as far as attacking goes. Id have her only cast spells, but theres no MP!!! Also, I hate how the leveling up system is item based, so when you lose an item, you lose your level. It seems like a failed experiment.

FF3: I havent played it...

FF4: ditto

FF5: Okay, Ive only played around 30 minutes of this but from what Ive played it seems alright. The story is very weak so far...

FF6: Im around 3 hours into this and I love the story! Kefka cracks me up. The dudes all "Why does the king have his castle in the middle of the frikkin desert?" And he does that weird laugh thing. HA! But I guess he gets eviler later.

FF7: This is the only game Ive played where it takes 6 hours to get to the world map! Thats how far I am and I must say this is gaming gold. I love the motorcycle battles!

FF8: Of the first 8 Im the farthest on this (other than FF1). After reaching disk 2 I am quite confused. Im at the prison level, and I understand most of what's happening, but the whole part where the sorceress is calling the people retards and saying she'll torture the world and the people are just cheering makes no sense at all.

FF9: Im only 2 and a half hours into this but its one of my favorites. Its so light hearted and the charachters are so... CHIBI!!! I love that it goes back to the basics. Now if I can just kill that darn Ice Demon...

FF10: Probably my favorite, but only because Im, like, 40 hours into it (I have to start over though). I love the sphere system, its probably my favorite system of them all. The story is okay, but at the point Ive reached its still full of holes. one thing that bugs me is that often the charachters find things out that you expect them to dwell on and freak out over and they just ignore it.

FF10-2: I havent played it, but from what Ive seen, its weird.

FF11: Havent played.

FF12: Wow, that looks awesome! The graphics are insane and best of all it takes place in Ivalice! Bangaa for everyone!

FFT: Havent played it.

FFTA: This is probably the best tactics game ever. The spell system is the best in any game ever. I LOVE IT. The battles are cool and beating 300 missions is insane. The clan wars rule, as they provide experience and the clans level up! I love telling people they can't join the clan and seeing their reaction "the member left crying."

FFCC: You would think this would be really cool but its really only half great. I have the spell system, but the game is solid.

FF Legends 1,2,3: These are those really weird GB games no one remembers. I played the first one for a little and got freaked out. Its like Pokemon, if Pokemon sucked.

I havent played any of those Chocobo Land games, but Im sure Ill end up with them eventually.

[quote name='Kaise']Kingdom Hearts. >_>[/quote][color=#4B0082]Um ... Kingdom Hearts isn't a Final Fantasy game. It just has some FF character cameos. KH is a completely separate series.

Also, please read the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=43464][u]Favorite Thread Guidelines[/u][/url] sticky thread. Just posting a title and saying nothing about a game is something that would normally get deleted for being spammy. Thanks.[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Final Fantasy VII. VI story bored me to tears, VIII had [i]the worst[/i] battle system ever, as well as a weak plot and bad field graphics. Having detail is fine, but the detail doesn't show up as much more than garbled pixels outside of the CG sequences. Squall is a particularly bad example of this.

FFIX is fun, but far too easy, to be honest, and the same goes for X and X-2. X-2 also suffers from a horrible ending, and the degradation of all the work that went into building Rikku as a strong character in X. We go from an intelligent compassionate young woman to a bubbly blonde in a thong, with such stellar catchphrases as 'poopy'. Nice one SquareEnix. No, really.

VII excels where all the other games I mentioned haven't (except graphics, obviously, but I still prefer the anime-esque style of the CG sequences over VII). The plot drew me in, the battles were fluid and the customization was enough to not be too daunting, while offering a lot of power at your fingertips in terms of making a unique character (materia > GFs). Also, I liked [spoiler]the Cloud/Tifa/Aeris love triangle, and, unlike seemingly a lot of people, thought Aeris was a good character, and hated seeing her die.[/spoiler] It was a strong, pivotal plot point though, and pushes it ahead of the other games.

And umm... yeah.

Note: For the record I could never, [i]ever[/i] bring myself to finish FF8. I hate it that much.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]