OtakuBoards

Animal Crossing: Wild World

Morpheus

I am going to get this game the day it comes out. I have AC for gamecube and like it a lot(2 years running). I can't wait to visit my friend's towns during lunch at school and see what they are up to. If they make it online, I already have a wireless hotspot in my house so I can visit towns from around the world! Post some of your thoughts on this outstanding addition to the DS library(out 3rd Q 2005.)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#4B0082]This is one of the upcoming DS titles that I'm most looking forward to. I'm definitely getting it when it's released. ... Though I suppose I'll need a DS first. But hopefully that will be coming in a week or so.

I got Animal Crossing on the GCN in January 2003 I think it was, a few months after it was released, and was instantly hooked. I remember a friend of mine had gotten AC and brought it over for me to try out. So after playing for a few hours, I was like, "MUST HAVE MORE!" and went out the next day and bought it myself. Thus began a four month addiction of playing the game very nearly every day for at least an hour or so, and since then I've come back and continued playing every now and then.

So, having those memories of my first experience with Animal Crossing floating around in my brain, I can't wait to get my hands on Animal Crossing DS and start all over again. Not only just to start a new village and play around with all the new stuff that they'll be adding, but also for the wireless aspect. Visiting other peoples' villagers in AC was always such a pain, what with all the memory card swapping, but from what I've heard, it seems like you'll just be able to connect to another person's DS, hop on the train or whatever, and you'll be in their village.

And yeah, my family just got a wireless router for Christmas, so if ACDS does get online support, I'll also have a wireless hotspot right at home to play from. Visiting other OB members' villages would be awesome.[/color]

I wasnt TOO big a fan of the first one, but I am definetally looking foreward to this. The idea of going to my friends town while he is there makes me feel giddy. They also modified it. The little between acre screen shifts have dissapeared and there are all-new extras. Because the origional Animal Crossing was actually an N64 game that bombed and was remade for the big cube, the graphics will not only meet, but may actually beat the graphics of the origional. Also, because the DS can remember your birthday, I wouldnt be surprised if the add a birthday party thing.

Yeah from what I've seen of the game it looks too good to be true, perhaps I was dreaming that day I downloaded all those DS videos at school...

Anyway. What I want to know is, is the DS cart big enough to make a game as huge as the GCN version? I imagine they're going to have to cut out a lot of items and speech and such to mash it all into one cart. Or perhaps they'll go the cheap way, reuse the same models with a different texture map and call it a completely new item.

Well regardless of how big it is, I'm getting it as soon as I have a DS(or when it comes out, whatever comes first). Should be quite fun with Wi-Fi and friends(yes, I have those).

The original was on a 64 meg 64 cart, so we shouldn't worry. also, They only design handheld graphics to look good on the handheld. I know that the gamecubes resolution is a few thousand by a few thousand, but the ds is only 360x360, so it should all fit.

I dunno, The 64 cartridges went all the way up to 512 megabytes, half as much as a cube disc. And if I'm not mistaken the DS carts are only half that of the 64, I'm not so sure it's going to be as [i]complete[/i] as the other versions.

But whatever, even a quarter of Animal Crossing is about as big as an average Final Fantasy game(or so I'm lead to believe). So it should be quite interesting to see how everything turns out, I'm sure no matter how many optimisation techniques they use, they'll still need to compress a lot of things and cut a lot of things out.

[color=darkred]As much as I love Animal Crossing on the GameCube, I know for sure that it'll be a lot more suited for a handheld system, and hopefully a better experience. The graphics don't really bother me at all, but I agree that they are somewhat N64-ish, heh. Nevertheless, I'm sure the game would be just as fun even if the graphics were of a better quality, or even a lesser one, so yeah, I'm really excited about its release onto the DS.

One thing I didn't like about AC, however, were the tedious activities such as gardening and cutting down trees. I suppose that these were qualities that some of you may have liked, but for me it was always about customising your house and getting loaded with Bells, not to mention building up on your very own bestiary in the museum. I remember when I used to spend a certain time of each day on cutting down trees, which would usually consist of me pulling out my axe, and, well, chopping one tree down, switching to the shovel, getting rid of the stump/roots, and then pulling out my axe only to repeat the whole process again.

Regardless, I'm sure that ACDS will allow me to get on with that steadily, as I'll have a lot more time on my hands, and especially that it's handheld, because I'll have enough vacant spots to play it in.[/color]

[quote name='Ganon6d9]I dunno, The 64 cartridges went all the way up to 512 megabytes, half as much as a cube disc. And if I'm not mistaken the DS carts are only half that of the 64, I'm not so sure it's going to be as [i]complete[/i'] as the other versions.[/quote]

N64 carts were measured in mega[b]bits[/b], not mega[b]bytes[/b]. 512 megabits is only around 64 megabytes and I believe that cartridge size was only used for Resident Evil 2, which had tons of compressed video. By comparison, Super Mario 64 was only 8 megabits. GCN discs are like 1.5 GBs, so it's nowhere near half. I'd not worry about this game fitting on those carts at all, particularly because, if needed, Nintendo could easily increase their capacity.

I'm looking forward to this, simply because wireless play just seems like the next step in this series. It would have been online play, if Nintendo would get around to it, but this is still in the right direction.

I actually had someone ask me on the train if I had my Metroid demo with me so we could play a quick match the other day. I think games like AC will really help push that whole connectivity thing if done right.

[color=#4B0082]I really doubt cartridge size will be an issue at all. I mean, you can get 512 MB flash cards, so I think if a game really needs the space, Nintendo will be able to get larger capacity cartridges.

Also, just because GCN discs can hold 1.5 GB doesn't mean AC was actually anywhere near that size. In fact, I think it's small enough that the entire game is loaded into the GCN's memory when you play it. I've heard that you can actually take the disc out while you're playing and the game will keep running.[/color]

[quote name='Morpheus']I just used a code to get the golden items(except shovel. 4 and counting)[/quote]

[color=darkred]As boring as I found gardening, I think that using codes just totally butchers the whole concept of Animal Crossing lol.[/color]

I used codes after playing for 2 years, and didn't want to get bored. I got to get about half of the NES games, which were really fun. Why do you garden? It's not like you have to.

[quote name='Desbreko']. I've heard that you can actually take the disc out while you're playing and the game will keep running.[/quote]
Yeah, I've done it many times before.

[size=1][color=royalblue]Oh, brother lol. I'm so getting this friggin' game. I'd have a ball doing...things...in Des's village. XDD Mwahahahaa......Fufufufu....Kekeke--ok, I'll stop. @_<

The only thing that annoyed me was the fact that there weren't many things to dig up. Most of the time it's stupid fossils and Gyroids, in which I chucked (after I had finished my museum) and sold for moneh. So I saw the Golden Shovel as just something to obtain. I don't even use it anymore, unless I'm planting a fruit tree. And 100 Bells is like finding a damn penny on the ground. :p

The bees are so damn irritating, and what's more irritating is the senseless blathering the villagers always take up. I just hope there's not TOO MUCH dialogue!!! Oh, spare me the torture. ;_;

But I doubt that's gonna happen. Ugh.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Morpheus]DS carts are [I]curently[/I'] 128mb.[/quote]
[color=#4B0082]Actually, there are already several sizes of cartridges being used. Nintendo Power lists the cartridge size for games in their Now Playing section, and there are 64, 128, and 256 megabit games listed in the February issue.[/color]

• 8 months later...
[color=darkred]Nintendo gave the game an official name yesterday, AC: Wild World. It's okay I suppose, it has a ring to it, but I would've just settled for ACDS. It sounds like some sort of expansion pack to me.

Also, is anyone else here sceptical about the spherical effect that has been implemented into AC:WW overworld? Because from screenshots, there's just something about it to me that tells me I won't like it. It looks pretty cool, and is a nice touch to make the game glow a little more, but I feel that I might find it irritating in a way that it'll hinder the gameplay for me when I'm walking about in it and trying to do stuff -- that it'll just generally get in my way, if you know what I mean. I dunno though, I might be just paranoid lol.[/color]

I think it all the more easier to have a spherical world, the acre system was pretty retarded when you had to get somewhere quickly and end up about 5 screens from your target. With this you'll be able to see landmarks and such in the background so it'll be easier to navigate around the town.

Also, Wild World does sound a bit like an expansion, like a theme park add-on to AC or something like that. Oh well, we get what we're given, I guess.

[color=darkred]I found a picture of what the box art for AC: WW will look like. It's kind of small, but you can still make it out if you look hard enough. I love it though, it looks way awesome.[/color]

[url]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b8/peekomaster/6916849.jpg[/url]

[color=darkred]On a different note, I really hate the fact that the US will get this game before Europe. I'm hoping that the gap between the two release dates isn't that big, but either way I can guarantee that a lot of obsessive Americans will be sailing way ahead of me in terms of progress in their towns even before I play the game. That sucks for when online play comes around.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]Well, you can either look at it as being behind others, or you can see it as an opportunity to leech off people who are farther along, heh. I'm looking forward to trading items and whatnot with everyone else on OB who has the game (because trying to complete some of the furniture sets on your own can be a real pain), as well as just visiting others' towns. And I certainly know that if the Super Toilet makes a return, I'll be passing those out to everyone I know as soon as I get one. :p[/color]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']I just want your fruit in my town so I can cha-ching.[/color][/quote]

Ha, basically. Though something tells me that I shouldn't want anything to do at all with Desbreko's fruit. :twitch:

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the game though I don't know whether I'll be able to get it right away... maybe if my siblings and I all pitch in for the game. Good thing they're both big into Animal Crossing! :D

And I'm definitely looking forward to trading items and whatnot with people here, especially since getting everything you need to complete a theme was such a ***** in Animal Crossing. Damn Wendell never had the wallpaper I actually wanted whenever he came to town. :mad: