OtakuBoards

Do you judge someone by looks?

Sanada

I was wondering..
I'm a boy, just a normal, average boy, Well, maybe I'm not that average but I'm not weird.
The only thing that makes me stand out is my hair.
In my class, my hair is longer then 60% of the girls, well, nothing wrong with that now, is it? Then why do people keep telling me: "You've got long hair, you're gay" Or "You look like some junkie/hippie" ?

Why do people judge other people by looks? I think it's because that those who are different, pose a threat to the normal people.. "They aren't normal, they aren't like me.. I hate him for that."

Sadly, this is how many, many people think. Even I sometimes judge people by their looks, but I'm not the kind of guy to begin name calling.
What do you think about this? Do you judge people by their looks?

-Sanada

Guest Alchemist
yea if i had to, i would. My girlfriend could be the most evil thing in the world and i still be turned on, if i had a girlfriend.
I would probaly want a girlfriend kind of like Ivy from soul calibe.r

[COLOR=Indigo]I think its almost impossible not to judge people on there looks. I never try to but i know i do. I learned that when i moved to a new school. I had to stop myself forcibly from judging people.

How you look is part of who you are. No matter what happens everyone will judge by how people look. They will stereotype and perhaps even ridcule. All you can really do is to try very hard not to yourself.[/COLOR]

Yeah.. It's kinda impossible to not judge people by their looks.
But as you said, they all stereotype and that's what pissing me off.
I mean:

Long hair: Gay
Shorts tucked in pants: Wuss
Bald: Racist (this one is I think my area exclusive)
Black clothes: Gothic

and there are so many more..

Guest Alchemist
I see what you are saying and I admit I need to get out of the habit of judging people on looks and look in on th inside.

[QUOTE=Sanada]Yeah.. It's kinda impossible to not judge people by their looks.
But as you said, they all stereotype and that's what pissing me off.
I mean:

Long hair: Gay
Shorts tucked in pants: Wuss
Bald: Racist (this one is I think my area exclusive)
Black clothes: Gothic

and there are so many more..[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Indigo]
I understand what your getting at there but honestly everyone knows these stereotypes.

So if you dress like that, and you are aware that how people think, aren't you setting yourself up for it. Or perhaps even thats the way you want to be portrayed?[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkred]I suppose that looks matter. .

If I am looking at a female, I think there has to be a level of attraction. . I can be friends with anyone, no matter their looks. . but if I am interested in a relationship, they have to look pretty good to me. I have pretty high standards, considering my looks aren't the best out there. . Oh well, it's my right!

As for everyday people, I tend not to pay attention very much. I have had beautiful women come up to me, and get the same amount of respect as a guy with a lazy eye. I'll give anyone a chance.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=dd protector][COLOR=Indigo]I think its almost impossible not to judge people on there looks. I never try to but i know i do. I learned that when i moved to a new school. I had to stop myself forcibly from judging people.

How you look is part of who you are. No matter what happens everyone will judge by how people look. They will stereotype and perhaps even ridcule. All you can really do is to try very hard not to yourself.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=#003399]I totally agree.

Whether you want to or not, you will judge a person by looks. Even if you may think she is hott or ugly you will.

But that does not mean you are shallow and wont date a girl for personality and not for looks. My girlfriend is amazing but not everyone thinks she is amazingly hott, and I dont think she is SOOO hot either. But I do judge her based on looks.[/size][/color]

People tend to judge people by their looks. See the truth is that the world fears change everyone that is different is official weird by someone cause they dont know them or beacuse they are given a first impression. Something we all deal with.

Kitty Excel :catgirl:

Heh... I used to judge others but now that I have no human contact i dont do it anymore...

But anyways I wear mostly black clothes because I like black... In my opinion If i like black that doesnt mean Im goth but others might think that way. I honestly dont care what others think of me. Yeah Im a really fat not very pretty person... sure i wear all black most of the time but who cares?

Eh to many people... So eh I dont go near others to save them lol. Like madusa im sure one look at me turns others to stone. *laughs* Not really but sometimes I wonder. Im a female and one thing i need to point out... I dislike girly things. Dresses... the devil himself couldnt get me into one. Makeup... Please. Fake nails, manicures, perms they just arent my thing. Style... pfft. Jeans, t shirt under sweatshirt works for me.

I avoid people really so I dont really judge by looks. The only person I see each day is my father...

But anyways I think I have rambled long enough.

edit: The only person i judge by looks is myself if you didnt notice

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1] I don't think I'm especially bad looking, but I know I'm not pretty. I guess that being said, I'm not judgemental. I use to stereotype like other people, but it was a phase I just grew out of once I reached my sophomore year of highschool. It's better to judge someone by their personalities, and sometimes people's personalities appear to make them look cuter. Ever have that happen? I've known alot of unattractive guys that just have cute personalities and can get any girl they wanted. It's all on how you represent yourself, confidence especially always makes you seem more attractive. Don't be shallow like the rest of the world and media, but be you, and see people for who they really are. As fruity as that sounds, try it, it makes your life so much easier. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]To be blunt, yeah, I judge people by their looks. And like people have already said, it's impossible not to... at least for me. Your look is the first thing you convey to others. I judge if you care about yourself if you take the time to groom or whatever.

But I don't judge people harshly over their looks. As in, if someone is fat, I won't hate them or anything. By the same token, if you're hot, I won't necessarily love you automatically. Only for Janet... only for Janet. xD[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I aboslutely judge a person by their looks. Whole heartedly.

It's not intentional but during the first few moments before you even talk to the person how else am I suppose to determine if this individual is worth my time or not? How much do they care about their presentation? What kind of impression are they intending to give? Possibly social status.

It says so much. Like someone else was saying, they don't really care too much and thus wear sweatshirts and jeans, that tells me they're a person comfortable with themself and really doesn't care what people think of them.

Sure it's horribly judgemental but it's not something I can ignore. Afterall, a person's presented looks are a representation of their personality. At least I think so.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I try not to judge people from appearance, but it really is hard. :animesigh

Example: A kid at school commonly wore generic striped shirts, blah blah blah. Anyways, I instantly just assumed that he was some prep or something, the kind of person i want nothing to do with. Well it turned out that he was friends with some of my friends, and we ended up becoming great friends! (and he is absolutely NOT a prep, we share a lot of interests)

So you can see how it is generally a bad thing to judge people, though it just happens. :p [/COLOR]

It is very difficult not to judge someone by their appearance. There is this guy who lives in my hometown and if you saw him walking down the street you would think he is just some dirty construction worker guy. In truth he is the richest guy in this town. Judging by his appearance you would never know that he has money to burn. He actually paid for one of his long time employee's kid to go to college...tuition, housing, books...everything. He may not look like "money" but if you see the diamond ring his wife wears your eyeballs would pop out. It is a flippin' doorknob sized rock!

I try not to judge people by their appearance but it is very difficult not too do that. When you see a homeless guy on the sidewalk drinking a 40oz of malt liquor it is a knee-jerk reaction to think that this guy is a loser and should get a job. Who knows what turn of events lead this guy down this path of life.

I know since I judge people by appearance that I too will be judged. I make sure I have my hair fixed and the right clothes on to give the proper professional look. I pretty much dress in a business casual way. When kicking back I wear t-shirts and jeans. I guess for me it comes down to wearing what is appropriate for the event I am attending. I wouldn't wear my Sunday's best to go to a rock concert and I wouldn't wear an anime t-shirt and shorts to a funeral. Right clothes for the right occassion.

Remember -- you judge, you get judged.

[QUOTE=Sepiroth]yea if i had to, i would. My girlfriend could be the most evil thing in the world and i still be turned on, if i had a girlfriend.
I would probaly want a girlfriend kind of like Ivy from soul calibe.r[/QUOTE]

[color=#B0251E]I'm the complete opposite. When I'm going out with someone, their personality directly impacts my attraction to them.

Of course, I can meet someone and think that they look gorgeous. But if I don't like their personality, I will start to find them less physically attractive.

Alternatively, I can meet someone who I feel indifferent about physically (ie: I don't think they're gorgeous or unattractive, just somewhere in the middle), but if I [i]like[/i] them as a person, I will be much more likely to start finding them physically attractive.

I've definitely been out with people who I've felt indifferent about at first, but who's physical features started to grow on me when I started to get to know them and become familiar with their personality.

So, although physical looks are obviously there and they have some influence, I have to say that in my case, personality directly impacts physical attraction. I know that's not the same for everyone -- but if I find someone annoying or I simply don't like them, it doesn't matter how physically attractive they are. Chances are, I won't find them too attractive at all.[/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=#B33D79]Definitely. Good looks=good genes.

Erhm. I've to see something really memorable in the person's looks (a mole or whatever) so I can remember him the next time we bump into each other. People think I'm a snob 'cause I don't greet them like I do with my other acquaintances but really, I just forgot about them.

So yeah, I judge people by their looks all the time, not really by how good-looking they are but by some unique feature. Of course, having a pretty face ups your chances of being remembered.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I think everyone judges by looks to some capacity. I don't believe anyone that says they don't, unless they're legally blind.

I think what makes the difference is how you let this judgement affect your attitude towards and decisions involving that said person. Everyone has first impressions, first judgements. It doesn't mean they have to be final or affect how you treat that person.

That same idea kind of goes into art and music and other such things, I think.

Well, the old saying used to be that you can't judge a book by it's cover.

But that was back when all books had mono-colored covers with just the titles on them. Nowadays, books have summaries and critcs' reviews on them, and lists of other books by the same author, as well as descriptive blurbs from the publishers. You can totally judge books by their covers, and be right at least half the time.

The same trend applies to people.

That may be true, but that means that your wrong the other half of the time.
I mean, many people can be judges by appearance, but there are also people who are entirely different than how you judged them.

I try my best not to place people in groups, but look at them as 'stand alone' persons, though it doesn't work all the time, cause I too judge many books by it's cover, I try to do my best.

-Sanada

I think people do this because they are insucure or stuck up. I have been mistaken for a boy several times and it ticks me off when people say "Why do you dress like that? Are you a goth?" and sometimes I swear people think I'm a witch or a seiral killer :animecry: Nobody likes me! just kidding, I really couldn't care less if people don't like me :D
and I feel that you are wrong Deathbug

Guest leeswayze
[COLOR=DarkRed]undefined[/COLOR][QUOTE=Sanada]That may be true, but that means that your wrong the other half of the time.
I mean, many people can be judges by appearance, but there are also people who are entirely different than how you judged them.

I try my best not to place people in groups, but look at them as 'stand alone' persons, though it doesn't work all the time, cause I too judge many books by it's cover, I try to do my best.

-Sanada[/QUOTE]

that's allyou really can do sanada...however there are many people out there who do judge based on appearances. a good example is potential employers. when you "dress nicely" it is a form of showing respect or that you want to impress whomever it is that you may see or plan on seeing. i dress in black but i am not goth either. it is all great that you not judge people based on looks alone but it is also true that appearence can give clues to other's personalities. ie if they are wearing old handmedowns they may not be from a particularly well off family and if they dress in only miniskirts and tanktops they will be seen as "easy" no matter if they are or not there are many shades of grey in this subject. you must be objective but not critical. :animesigh

I think it's okay to not associate with people you find too different from yourself though. but the important thing is to not act like a ninny when someone is different. Like telling an overweight person that they are fat :animeangr what's the point? do people really think that person doesn't already know about their problem? do people think it helps the person change their problem? name calling is just so childish.

that's why I like the internet... you can meet all types of people from all walks of life and you can tell if you like someone by their personality, not by what clothes or by what hairstyle they have for the moment. I just wish I would have internet when I was in highschool :catgirl: