OtakuBoards

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: Teaser Trailer Now Online!

EVA Unit 100

[URL]http://harrypotter.warnerbros.com/gobletoffire/index.html[/URL]

One of the best Harry Potter books so far now has is going to become a movie very soon. While I didn't really like the first two movies in the series, the third film is one of my favorite family action films of all time. This movie seems to be carrying on the quality of the third film, and if it improves on the third movies's quality it might be the first Harry Potter movie to be as good as the book it's based on! The trailer looked good. While the trailers for the first two films portrayed a classical childrens' fantasy look (a goal the movies aimed for, but didn't completely achieved), and the trailers for the third film portrayed a darker sensibility (a goal the movie completely achieved), the trailer for this movie seems to be portraying an attitude of sheer intensity. A fitting choice, given that the fourth book is a major turning point in Harry's life and for the wizarding world in general. I wonder if this movie might even end up with a PG-13 rating. I know many WB executives would commit suicide over it, but the whole "bone of the father, hand of the servant, blood of the enemy" climax gets bloody and disturbing and might need a PG-13 to work to its fullest extent. Anyway, I have lots of hope for this movie.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I've drastically fallen out of the Harry Potter phase, i havn't read the new book, or seen the third movie, though i must admit that this looks pretty good. *Reminiscing of "Goblet of Fire"* i'd love to see that competition in action. I'll have to see the third movie, then this new one, it looks to be very promising.[/COLOR]

Thanks for the link to the trailer! You Rock! This book was my very favorite out of the whole series, even better then the 5th one. (Which the new one was seriously lacking) and is a whole deal scarier then any of the other further books. I do hope they add in the horror that is described in the book and even if the warning label does have to get raised to PG-13 or whatever, it would be well worth it in my book. This is something that I've been hoping to see ever since the first one came out, which I agree with BoxyBrown wasn't really the best and live up to its potential. Hopefully this time though things will be different.

..wow.

You know, I never really liked the Harry Potter movies. Obviously I've prefered the books over the films, but eh.. I think the movies have declined through their progression (a negative correlation, I believe, to the books), and if you asked me my favorite one I think I'd go with the first. A lot of people seemed to have enjoyed the third a lot, but I've only seen it once, never bought it, and sort of dismissed it rather quickly. The thing is, I can never keep myself from watching the movies, even though I know that they will somewhat ruin my interpretation of the book and whatnot, just because I've read the books and want to see someone else's perception of them. Despite the fact that the Harry Potter series remains my favorite books to date, and the only ones I really read for fun, my expectations for the movies have just about hit rock bottom.

I got goosebumps from watching the trailer. O_o

Based on the short clips that it did show, I can see that they've gone in a very mature direction with the film. Which is [i]fantastic.[/i] The more cynical side of the Harry Potter series has always seemed to have gone underappreciated, underrated.. whatever it is has made it seem like it was put in a little kids category that it has long since evolved from in the books, but is still associated with when you mention the name anywhere.

Oh ho, for once I'm excited about the upcoming movie. XD

[quote name='Syk3]Based on the short clips that it did show, I can see that they've gone in a very mature direction with the film. Which is [i]fantastic.[/i'] The more cynical side of the Harry Potter series has always seemed to have gone underappreciated, underrated.. whatever it is has made it seem like it was put in a little kids category that it has long since evolved from in the books, but is still associated with when you mention the name anywhere.[/quote]

The third movie I felt did a good job showing the more mature side of Harry. The script might have been very comedic, but Harry himself was getting more serious and was even having murderous thoughts. Also, I wouldn't consider it a more kiddy movie either. I'd certainly think that any kid under 10 who hadn't read the books beforehand would be downright terrified of how they made the Dementors look (as seems to be the case in my experience with younger kids seeing the movie).

But, going back on topic, yes, movie 4 looks awesome.

[size=1]I'm excited about the fourth movie as well, just because our three favorite Gryffindors do a lot of growing up within Goblet of Fire. What I really like about the last movie (and this upcoming fourth one) is that they show that physically through the character's changing styles. And as the kids mature, so does the entire tone of the movie. I feel like over the course of the four movies, it went from being more fantastical and kid-oriented to something a little more grounded and realistic.

The humor has changed, too. With each new director, now, we get a new focus on the Harry Potter world in general. Like Syk mentioned, it's more about the different point of views. I like it because I get the feeling that anybody and everybody who enjoys reading the books can share and spread different concepts. You know that each person who reads Harry Potter is going to have a different perception of it and the movies are a great way to show that.

Focusing on Goblet of Fire, the computer graphics look amazing. The Tri-Wizard Tournament is going to be intense, to say the least. I also love the casting choice for Cedric - he looks every bit the perfect Head Boy he's supposed to be. Krum is [i]hot[/i], and though I definitely appreciate the eye candy, I don't know if he should really be that gorgeous. Where's the broken nose? Oh well, I'm not going to complain too much. :p

[url="http://www.mugglenet.com/characters3.shtml"]MuggleNet[/url] is a really great site to check out if your an avid fan. Chances are, you probably have it bookmarked already but for those of you who don't, check it out. It's got tons of cool stuff.[/size]

[QUOTE=EVA Unit 100]The third movie I felt did a good job showing the more mature side of Harry. The script might have been very comedic, but Harry himself was getting more serious and was even having murderous thoughts. Also, I wouldn't consider it a more kiddy movie either. I'd certainly think that any kid under 10 who hadn't read the books beforehand would be downright terrified of how they made the Dementors look (as seems to be the case in my experience with younger kids seeing the movie).

But, going back on topic, yes, movie 4 looks awesome.[/QUOTE]Well, like I said before, I don't remember all the specifics from the third movie, and true it might have been more serious than the previous two, but the books have always seemed more cynical than the movies. I'm not saying that either the books or movies are necessarily kiddy, but that this fourth film, from what they show in the trailer, will help to sharpen an outsider's perspective on the series. I'm sure you've all heard people criticize Harry Potter in general about being for little kids. :/

[color=darkslateblue] Heehee. We get to see Ron fume over Hermione going out with Krum. :D

The thing I'm really pleased with is the casting. I don't know about their acting abilities, but all the new characters seem rightly casted. The trio has grown up a [i]lot[/i] as well. When I first watched Prisoner of Azkaban, the first thing that ran through my mind was: "Daniel Radcliffe is [i]good-looking[/i]. :P And Emma Watson looks gorgeous, and Ron is so adorable. :)

I have good hopes for the fourth movie in general as well. The first two were complete failures as a good movies, but the third one ok (I usually judge my personal favorite movies by seeing how many times I can watch it without getting bored...I couldn't finish the third movies when I was watching it a second time >_>). I am hoping that they will continue to get better, although as many HP fans, stuffing a large book like GoF into what, 2 hours or something? I read the offical timing on Mugglenet once, but I've forgotten it. The biggest problem I had with the PoA movie was that the background information of the Marauders were sort of left out. :( I love those guys! [/color]

[i]I'm sure you've all heard people criticize Harry Potter in general about being for little kids. :/[/i]

[color=darkslateblue] Well, they [i]are[/i] 11 and 12 year olds. :/ People can't expect them to be that mature. Maybe in the sixth and seventh book we'll see even more character development. :)[/color]

[quote name='Arcadia][size=1]Krum is [i]hot[/i'], and though I definitely appreciate the eye candy, I don't know if he should really be that gorgeous. Where's the broken nose? Oh well, I'm not going to complain too much. :p [/size][/quote]
Yeah, really. If they were going to make Krum so good-looking, why couldn't they have done the same for Sirius & Lupin? I'm still terribly bitter about that, haha. :animesigh

I skipped out on Prisoner of Azkaban; the third novel is by far my favorite installment in the series, and in that case just reading the book was more than enough for me. But Goblet of Fire appears to be rather well-done, so I may have to go see it... if only for Emma Watson (and Draco's actor, albeit to a somewhat lesser extent). How old is she now, anyway? Do I still have to feel like a pedophile for considering her eye candy?

[b]Lunox[/b]: Personally I think GoF would lend itself well to some serious trimming. Enjoyable though the book may be, it has a lot of filler; I imagine even a 2 or 3 hour movie could manage to hit upon most of the main points of the story.

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger] [b]Lunox[/b']: Personally I think GoF would lend itself well to some serious trimming. Enjoyable though the book may be, it has a lot of filler; I imagine even a 2 or 3 hour movie could manage to hit upon most of the main points of the story.[/quote]

I don't. yes, there was a fair amount of non-essential stuff in the book, but that's true of every book I've read, and certainly true for the other three HP books. For Prisoner of Azkaban, they even cut some pretty important stuff from the book (such as how Sirius escaped from Azkaban), and it was still a long movie. I'm betting on a movie well over three hours long.

On a different note, the trailer I saw didn't have any cast information, and I'm curious about that. People have mentioned the casting, and I'm wondering who these actors are. Spesifically, who plays Cedric, and who plays Krum?

I actually enjoyed this series a lot, the books were entertaining and so are the movies. Its hard not to become entralled in the story. The fourth book is by far the best, in my opinion (I've read them all). It's very exciting and full of action and adventure. Even if you havn't followed the series the whole time you'd probably enjoy this movie, it looks like a blast.

[quote name='Dagger']How old is she now, anyway? Do I still have to feel like a pedophile for considering her eye candy?[/quote]

If I remember correctly, she's 14 (with Dan being 15, Rupert being 16, and Tom being 18). Still pretty young (in fact, the only child actor in the film who is actually the age of her character), and you still might get that feeling. But there is no doubt that she looks particularly hot in this film (in case you were wondering, I'm 12).

I fell in love with Rowling's books before they became the fad in my area.
I'm still in love with the Potter books, so much so that I refuse to read any copies of them unless they are my very own.

For that reason, coupled with my current financial situatoion, I have yet to read the Fifth book, Order of the Phoenix. I hope I can have my own copy before the release of the next installment, The Half Blood Prince.

As for the movies, I never watched them on my own accord. I've seen the first for my sisters, and the second for my girlfriend (who doesn't like HP but was bored).

With the little knowledge of the actors I have, I have to disagree and wonder about the statements about Emma Watson. Maybe she's just not my type. ^^ Katie Leung (Cho Chang) on the other hand is cute. Hm.. It would probably be in my favour if the aforementioned girlfriend doesn't happen by this page. XD

Unlike the previous movies, this installment has caught my interest. I just might see it in theaters. ^^

-ArV

[COLOR=#004a6f]Goblet of Fire is going to be awesome. I just can't wait. I don't think I'll last till November. :animeswea

[URL=http://www.mugglenet.com]Mugglenet.com[/URL] has done a great job of keeping us updated about the movie. They have plenty of pictures, and even backstage video clips and interviews. You should really check it out if you haven't.

I think all the movies have a done a good job of presenting the mood of the books. The major drawback though is lack of time. Goblet of fire is still only around 2 hours long, like the others. How they managed it, I have no clue. They must have cut out so much, which might be pretty disappointing. They tournament looks really exciting though...

Another thing that's bugging me is the new actor who plays Dumbledore. Richard Harris did a great job of presenting Dumbledore's character; it's quite a shame he passed away after the second film. Michael Gambon did okay in the third movie, but his voice is a little too... rough. In the Goblet of Fire Preview he seems even more "rough". He's completely lost Dumbledore's character, quite disappointing I must say, cause Dumbledore is so calm and at ease, and just so damn COOL![/COLOR]

I've actually heard that Goblet of Fire will be running about as long as the theatrical cut of Return of the King, at just over 3 hours. Given they did a pretty fine nip-tuck job with Prisoner of Azkaban I could see Goblet of Fire fiting into a 3 hours something-minutes timeframe. However, fitting it all into 2 hours would kill it.

[COLOR=#004a6f]Sorry, I went to check the number on mugglnet.com. It says 2 and 1/2 hours. I just read that a long time ago and wasn't sure. But still, that's about as long as the others.

If it's gonna be 3 hours, that would be okay. But it would sill be nice if they can make it even 4 hours, if they can manage it.

I've seen longer movies. Lawrence of Arabia and that was one looooong movie.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I've watched the trailer several times already, and I can't wait for its release. I really enjoy both the books and the movie.

They do dismiss alot of details that should be included in the movies, but nervertheless the movies still attract me.

I wish I had read the third book, I never read the second or third because I saw the movies, before I was even into the books. So I can't say which is better between Azkaban and Goblet of Fire. Although I did enjoy the third movie quite a bit. I hope GoF gives the same affect on me. ^_^[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
The books were actually breathtaking, for this reason i was anxious about the movies and well, the first two movies proved that i was right to be anxious, as they were really like WaltDisney movies. But then with the change of director the third movie simply did it somehow. When compared to what Peter Jackson did with the Lord of the Rings, it is obvious that HP movies can get better than that. For this reason i am really curious about the goblet of fire as this book really shifts directions from children books towards something more complicated, involved and mature. And for the part where they claim that Daniel and so on must be changed, i only believe it will harm the series.