OtakuBoards

Wii

Charles

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Oddly enough, one of the games I'm looking forward to most is Wii Sports. When I was younger, my dad, my brother and I always played baseball games on the SNES. My dad hasn't played a baseball game with us since Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run but with the easy-to-understand Wiimote controls, I'm sure the three of us will be playing baseball again.

The reason I was sad to hear the delay of Super Mario Galaxy was simply because I'm about a ten times bigger Mario fan than I am a Zelda fan. Don't get me wrong, I love Zelda, but there's just something about Mario games that gets me overly-excited.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=#8B0000]I'm sure you all heard about it, but the European and Australian release dates were announced today. The Wii will be released in Europe on the 8th of December for £179/249 euros, and in Australia on the 7th of December for AU$399.95. Both console packages will include a Wiimote, a nunchaku attachment, and Wii Sports, which I'm relatively pleased with.

I'm a bit gutted by the price of the Wiimote, though. Since the N64 era, I've always ended up getting at least four controllers for my consoles for multi-player purposes, so paying £29 for each one would be expensive in its own right. But still, I don't mind; I'm thinking of buying a separate Wiimote, which would make two in the house, and two classic controllers, where we can rotate the Wiimotes between us. I mean, the only person who's as serious about playing video games as me is my older brother, so I'd imagine that everyone else would be casual players, causing no need for me to fork out on extra Wiimotes. Two is enough.[/color]

[quote name='di.fm][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Now, of course, the Wii will never replace my 360. The games that are coming out for the 360 I just can't live without, which are also games that aren't coming out on the Wii such as Gears Of War, Just Cause, and yes, Halo 3.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Well, since I don't have the money to get 2 next-gen gaming systems, I can only get one. And I chose the 360 over the Wii because of better games and over the Ps3 because of price. And I basically want my 360 just so I can have the joy of playing Halo 3 in high definition. Ah, what a fine January day that will be(I hope). So, as you can tell by my custom title, i'm really anticipating the release of Halo 3.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Kurayami Oji][size=1][color=DarkRed]Well, since I don't have the money to get 2 next-gen gaming systems, I can only get one. And I chose the 360 over the Wii because of better games and over the Ps3 because of price. And I basically want my 360 just so I can have the joy of playing Halo 3 in high definition. Ah, what a fine January day that will be(I hope). So, as you can tell by my custom title, i'm really anticipating the release of Halo 3.[/color'][/size][/quote] Even if I had the financial resources to get a 360, I'd probably stick with the Wii anyway. Not for reasons of the system itself (not entirely, anyway), but because of Wii's presumably free online service. I certainly understand why that type of thing is usually charged for, but if I have the opportunity to get it free, I'll take it in a heartbeat lol. There's something about paying something after you've already paid for it that puts me off, no matter how completely fair it is.

[color=#007520]Nintendo Wifi will, apparently, be free to access, but to download the browser you'll have to use Wii-points. ie. Pay. Also, you have to already have a wifi accessable connection, like a wireless router. ...unless, do you guys think they'll have a network plug in the back of the Wii?
Either way, you wont get the free online service unless you already have online access. 8)

Kurayama Oji, although PS3 and x360 have better engines under the hoods, it doesn't mean they will get better games. Personally, I find Nintendo games to have the most replay value and the most fun over a longer period of time.
Heh~ I'm looking forward to Mario Galaxy and SSBB. 8)

-r2[/color]

[QUOTE=r2vq][color=#007520]Nintendo Wifi will, apparently, be free to access, but to download the browser you'll have to use Wii-points. ie. Pay. Also, you have to already have a wifi accessable connection, like a wireless router. ...unless, do you guys think they'll have a network plug in the back of the Wii?
Either way, you wont get the free online service unless you already have online access. 8)[/color][/QUOTE] If you don't have WiFi already (I do, so it's not an issue for me at least), you just have to buy a broadband adapter, and I can't see how cost could really be a big issue in the long run with something like that lol. And the browser is just an optional thing, for using the "normal" 'net. Nintendo's necessary channels will all still be free, and online pay will depend on the developer (I think? Might wanna correct me on that), but by default it's free as well.

[quote name='Kurayami Oji][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Well, since I don't have the money to get 2 next-gen gaming systems, I can only get one. And I chose the 360 over the Wii because of better games and over the Ps3 because of price. And I basically want my 360 just so I can have the joy of playing Halo 3 in high definition. Ah, what a fine January day that will be(I hope). So, as you can tell by my custom title, i'm really anticipating the release of Halo 3.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]...you wanted to spend [b]less[/b] money so you bought a [i]360[/i]? O_o[/font]

[center][img]http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/4251/lock2rq3.jpg[/img][/center]

[size=1][b]P.S.[/b] Nintendo has updated their Wii Website. Click [url=http://wii.nintendo.com/]here[/url].

Some interesting things to note on the new site would be...
[list][*]Big Brain Academy for the Wii. Players: 1-2
[*]Wario Ware: Smooth Moves. Players: 1 (it then says Players: some 2-[B]5[/B] players).
[*]Super Mario Galaxy. Players: 1-[B]2[/B]. Two players? Sweet.
[*]The website has tons of other stuff to drool about, but something you should consider checking out is [url=http://wii.nintendo.com/games_list.html]The Games List[/url].[/list][/size][/color]

[color=#007520][quote name='John']you just have to buy a broadband adapter, and I can't see how cost could really be a big issue in the long run with something like that lol. And the browser is just an optional thing, for using the "normal" 'net.[/quote]Yes, the browser is just an optional thing. In fact, unless there's some promotion or a way I can get it for free, I don't plan on buying the browser at all. Though, I think that the broadband adapter is an issue.

Nintendo is trying to get as many people playing as possible, making the Wii more accessable to the vast population that is generally ignorant of video games. That's why the who Wii-Channels and remote-shaped controllers were created. If a lot of people can't get a lot of the Wii-Channels, the virtual console, or even use the Connect24 feature without shelling out another $50 for a wireless router, I don't think it will be very good for Nintendo's plan.
From what I hear, Nintendo wants people to use the Wii every day for things like checking the weather. And from there it's a simple jump to playing the video games that the gamers in the house would have purchased for the console.

My point is similar to those who argue that the controller is too expensive.

-r2[/color]

[color=#4B0082]You won't have to buy a wireless router to get the Wii online. All you'll have to do is pick up an ethernet-to-USB converter so you can plug your network cable into the Wii. Simple and cheap as that.[/color]

[quote][b]From [url=http://wii.nintendo.com/hardware.html][u]Wii.com[/u][/url]:[/b]
The Wii console communicates wirelessly with the Internet via IEEE 802.11 or a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can connect wirelessly with Nintendo DS.[/quote]

[COLOR=#99121c][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Darn, If only it could connect to an IEEE 1394. Then I could have just connected it to my labtop and I would have been golden fore wireless Wii...bility.

Yet I can't wait till the Wii actually comes out and Sony actually realises how ****** they are with the PS3, they just commited suicide in a way.

Also am I the only one who finds it very ironic that a Wii is going to cost around the same price as a PSP did when it first came out?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Kurayami Oji][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]And I basically want my 360 just so I can have the joy of playing Halo 3 in high definition. Ah, what a fine January day that will be(I hope). So, as you can tell by my custom title, i'm really anticipating the release of Halo 3.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]

Don't hold your breath waiting for a January release date. I don't know where you're getting your info from, but don't expect Halo 3 until [I]at least[/i] the 2007 holiday season. Looking back at the Halo 2 development schedule and noting the fact that we've only seen a brief teaser of the game, the safe bet is that it'll be released in 2008.

At least you can play Gears of War this Christmas.

[quote name='White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]...you wanted to spend [b]less[/b] money so you bought a [i]360[/i]? O_o[/font]][/size'][/color][/quote]

Eh, it's not that big of a stretch in all honesty. An Xbox 360 core pack costs fifty dollars more.

We're talking apples and oranges here, so it's all going to come down to what kind of controller you want to play your games with. Realistically, the Xbox 360 should have a great holiday season too. Microsoft has built a lot of momentum and for that reason, Nintendo was very privy for not competing directly.

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]...you wanted to spend [b]less[/b] money so you bought a [i]360[/i]? O_o[/font]
[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Actually I can afford to buy a 360, its just that I can't buy the Ps3 along with it, at least not in the same year. And I haven't got the 360 yet, i'm getting at Christmas^^ And, I understand what you were saying r2. Because I totally agree with you on that, better engines don't always mean better games. I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood, I actually just [B]prefer[/B] 360 games over the Wii's with a few exceptions. Now, [B]Red Steel[/B] does seem to pretty cool, but that was one of the few that I think I would like on the Wii. I guess i've never been too much of a Mario fanboy or anything, but I do like it, just to a certain extent. I guess i'll always be a fan of fps and fighters, something that the Gamecube nor the Wii(probably) really focus on. But, thats not to say I won't get a Wii or a Ps3, just not all this year.[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=Charles]Don't hold your breath waiting for a January release date. I don't know where you're getting your info from, but don't expect Halo 3 until [I]at least[/i] the 2007 holiday season. Looking back at the Halo 2 development schedule and noting the fact that we've only seen a brief teaser of the game, the safe bet is that it'll be released in 2008.

At least you can play Gears of War this Christmas.
[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Damn, i'm gonna have to kill my friend later. I guess I should have just went straight to the source, Bungie. And, that really disappoints me, because I was really looking forward to a January release, :animesigh I guess my custom title is gonna be up there for a good, long while....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]November 19!?!?!

That's over a month over than I expected! :animestun

Nowadays, whenever I hear an estimate of when something's coming out, I try and pick the latest date that makes sense, and I thought the Wii would come out really close to Christmas...

But now! I may actually get to play it before freaking Thanksgiving!!! All is well in the world... :rolleyes: [/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Tatsubei Yagyu][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]November 19!?!?!

That's over a month over than I expected! :animestun

Nowadays, whenever I hear an estimate of when something's coming out, I try and pick the latest date that makes sense, and I thought the Wii would come out really close to Christmas...

But now! I may actually get to play it before freaking Thanksgiving!!! All is well in the world... :rolleyes: [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
If they had to release here in late December, they may as well not release at all. Releasing right before christmas is retail suicide. The japanese market is the only place that they could get away with that, as their market peaks near new years instead of Thanksgiving.

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=DimGray]In case you didn't already know, Wii.com has put up a new channel video. The Photo Channel.

Basically you can upload images and videos onto the Wii and edit them. At first I thought the image editing program would just be something fun like MSPaint, but after watching it I realized it's a little bit more than that. Granted, you can't create a masterpiece on it, but it looks like it'll be useful for those times you can't get to a computer.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
So, did anyone else get a Wii-order today?

After class, at approximately 9:45am I went to a local mall in hopes of securing my order. I was expecting to be the only one there but there were eight people waiting outside EB and about twenty lined up outside Gamestop. So, cussing under my breath (because I wanted to get some McDonald's and go right into the store without waiting) I joined the shorter line.

They admitted two people into the store at a time; I ended up pre-ordering the Wii, Excite Truck, and Trauma Center (I already had Zelda pre-ordered at Gamestop). I was considering Red Steel but decided that I would wait until I found out for sure that it isn't crap before I bothered with it. While I was there I also pre-ordered Gears of War. I didn't put money down on any accessories yet. Hopefully they won't be too impossible to find later, just in case I need to find another controller.

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Well, I didn't get to pre-order my Wii. There were people sleeping overnight from 3AM so even if I had been there at 7 in the morning like I initially planned I wouldn't have made it.

But it doesn't matter. My brother is a security guard at a mall that has an EB in it and he gets off work an hour before the mall opens so he can just wait infront of EB on November 19th. :p[/FONT][/COLOR]

Yeah, I preordered mine Friday morning. My friend and I went over to EB at around 9 am and were around 20th in line. >_o I held off on getting a memory card, not only because of the 512 mb built-in flash drive, but because someone in line told us that it's a generic type you can get a lot cheaper somewhere else. I did, however, preorder a few games: Zelda, of course, and Red Steel. I guess there's a chance it might be crap, Frying Pan Man, but I wanted at least a little variety in the games outside of the sports demo. lol I was afraid they weren't going to let me preorder it at first because I could only write a check, but luckily my friend had a debit card to loan me. -.-

So man, I can't wait until the 19th now, but I'll try not to think about it. haha Supposedly Nintendo is supposed to send out shipments every few weeks after the initial 4 million or so, which is awesome in comparison to what I heard about the PS3: 400,000 to start and not reshipping until March, plus double what it costs for Wii as the standard? Damn, blow me. :p

By the way, White, the EB I was at had the policy that they issued Wiis based on order in line for preorders. So the first person would get a call when the first Wii was in, and so on. If you didn't preorder one at this store, you won't be able to buy one at launch if the preorder numbers exceed the console quantity.

[quote name='Syk3']By the way, White, the EB I was at had the policy that they issued Wiis based on order in line for preorders. So the first person would get a call when the first Wii was in, and so on. If you didn't preorder one at this store, you won't be able to buy one at launch if the preorder numbers exceed the console quantity.[/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Oh I know. But I'm sure they'll have more than 10 consoles. Even if they have just one extra, it'll be enough since my brother is first in line. And if not I'm sure the Best Buy next door will have some. :)

I have to admit, though, I'm still nervous. Not having a pre-order doesn't guarantee I will get one so I'm a little bit anxious.

[b]EDIT:[/b] Also, there are three new Wii Experience videos at Wii.com.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Syk3'] I did, however, preorder a few games: Zelda, of course, and Red Steel. I guess there's a chance it might be crap, Frying Pan Man, but I wanted at least a little variety in the games outside of the sports demo. lol[/quote]

I love the old school reference. hee

As for Red Steel, I probably come across deceptively harsh on here. I had a tough time choosing between Red Steel and Excite Truck. On one hand I really admire Ubi's effort to get something out of the Wii graphically and I love the prospect of playing an original Wii shooter with a fleshed out control scheme. On the other hand, I think developers have a way to go before they really nail shooters on the system. The impressions I have read indicate that Red Steel will be decent but it will also suffer a number of problems associated with the targeting reticle. Judging by the videos I've seen, Excite Truck looks like great fun; I love the insane physics. So, that's why I went that route.

And good luck, White. I'm sure that there will be people with the same idea as you though, camping outside the store well before one hour prior to its opening. Even if you don't get a Wii on launch day, it shouldn't be too difficult to fine one shortly thereafter though.

[quote name='Charles']And good luck, White. I'm sure that there will be people with the same idea as you though, camping outside the store well before one hour prior to its opening. Even if you don't get a Wii on launch day, it shouldn't be too difficult to fine one shortly thereafter though.[/quote] And if worst comes to worst he can always activate the mall fire alarm and then pop in first in line when the customers are allowed back in. [img]http://otakuboards.com/images/smilies/bdance2.gif[/img]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']I honestly can't think of a better feeling than the moment when you're pre-ordering a games console before its release. Pre-ordering a Wii and flunking my exams would be worth getting that feeling.[/color][/quote]
[quote name='John']And if worst comes to worst he can always activate the mall fire alarm and then pop in first in line when the customers are allowed back in. [/quote]
[font=arial][size=1]Wii + Felony = best feeling in the world?

I mean, if you're going to get into legal trouble, you should at least murder all the people in front of you. Maybe the media will give you a funny name, like the Wii Whacker. :bdance: [/font][/size]