OtakuBoards

Wii

Charles

[quote name='Grave Yard']I really hate the idea of the revolution controller. Its a remote :animesigh .[/quote] A [i]sexy [/i]remote.

[url="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2845744095499143059&q=revolution+controller"][u]Here's[/u][/url] the video. I'd watch it before you make any assumptions about the Rev controller. You might be surprised at how it alters your viewpoint. (Also, the little analog stick attachment seems to be very important to the controller, so that definitely adds an air of a more traditional controller.)

But on topic, I'm not going to end up buying the Revolution if it's even priced at $50, because my dad's a technophobe like that, lol. And anyway, games would still be $50 a pop, which I think is a horrendous amount, if only on the buyer's end.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The thing is John, I used to own a Gamecube and N64. I enjoyed playing it for a while, especially SSB and SSBM. But the older I got, the more I matured, Nintendo started coming out with more kiddish games and that got boring. I agree that the controller looks cool, but in the history of Nintendo, I watch for the games. It's not the controller that makes the system( hence the Dreamcast or Xbox), it's the games. Like I said before, Nintendo's games take on a more childish theme.(This, of coarse, does not include titles like Resident Evil 4 or Eternal Darkness.) :cool:

Just watched the video Im still not impressed. I can safely say this controler is not for everyone. I feel some people craving innovation will love it. Me however am still going to dislke it. I feel that most of the games were light con gun games, and fishing games. It also looks to family friendly for me. Thats just my opinion.

Family friendly does not mean entirely family orientated. The controller does not determine the game library, and the Revo controller is simply open to any type of game, whether it uses the remote's full capabilities or not. As it is, Nintendo could viably have games for the system that use the Gamecube controller, since it has ports for that. Nintendo knows that some people will be turned off by something so radically new, and thus the shell that may or may not be included with the Revo. There'll definitely be people that don't get a Revo just because they're too used to a "normal" controller.

I'm sure that there'll be tons of games, 3rd party or otherwise, that are gimmicky. It's unavoidable with that kind of input device. But by the same token, there'll most likely be more games that are able to utilize the Revo's controller in intuitive new ways that deliver an entirely new gaming experience. That's up to the developer. I, for one, can see shooters being incredibly fun with the Revo controller.

I just thought, is there a reason this thread is addressed specifically to XBox users? The question can be applied to PS2 and Gamecube users just as easily...

[quote name='otakukev']I just thought, is there a reason this thread is addressed specifically to XBox users? The question can be applied to PS2 and Gamecube users just as easily...[/quote]

Good point, otakukev. Why is this thread directed [B]only[/B] to Xbox users only? Maybe that's because most of the Xbox games are rated "T" or higher than the other systems. I have a PS2 and if I only had that I still wouldn't buy the Revo for similar reasons. And like I said before I had a Gamecube. It's selection got terrible( to me, at least) and I got bored of it. But still, why is this [B]specifically[/B] addressed to Xbox players?

[QUOTE=otakukev]Family friendly does not mean entirely family orientated. The controller does not determine the game library, and the Revo controller is simply open to any type of game, whether it uses the remote's full capabilities or not. As it is, Nintendo could viably have games for the system that use the Gamecube controller, since it has ports for that. Nintendo knows that some people will be turned off by something so radically new, and thus the shell that may or may not be included with the Revo. There'll definitely be people that don't get a Revo just because they're too used to a "normal" controller.

I'm sure that there'll be tons of games, 3rd party or otherwise, that are gimmicky. It's unavoidable with that kind of input device. But by the same token, there'll most likely be more games that are able to utilize the Revo's controller in intuitive new ways that deliver an entirely new gaming experience. That's up to the developer. I, for one, can see shooters being incredibly fun with the Revo controller.

I just thought, is there a reason this thread is addressed specifically to XBox users? The question can be applied to PS2 and Gamecube users just as easily...[/QUOTE] Exactly. Something strongly tells me that most of the more traditional game developers aren't going to start thinking outside of their "genre boxes" and do something new just because they have a new controller design to work with. Instead, those developers will try to use that controller design to comfortably do the same thing they've always done (which is certainly a fine thing by me. New circumstances don't mean that you have to ditch the types of games you've been great at making your whole career, heh).

So if you don't want a whole lot of new changes, you're not necessarily going to get them. I think more traditional gaming can still have a strong hold in the Rev, along with the new stuff.

Also, as has been a generally accepted fact so far, shooters are probably going to start appearing in some mighty big numbers on the Revolution. And if the current trend is any indication, they're not going to stop being gory any time soon. So that could arguably help break down some of those "family-friendly" barriers many of you are turned off by. Though it's probably not going to become bloodbath or anything, lol.

[quote name='John]A [i]sexy [/i']remote.[/quote]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Might I say what a sexy remote it is.

I will admit that Nintendo hasnt had the best of luck coming out with games and such. However if the gameplay is just like what it is in the video than in my own world I can see the Revolution actually being better than both the PS3 and the Xbox 360! I mean the interactivity in the video was like none that I have ever seen. I know that atleast half of you who do play horror games and even some shooters feel like moving even if just a bit when you are frustrated with a boss or just want to move some rather than just sit and push buttons. I know that I would, Nintendo has always been the first console that I have ever bough and it may always will be. This could be a big definition on how you can judge a book by its cover.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ikillion']I can see the Revolution actually being better than both the PS3 and the Xbox 360! ][/quote]

Whoa lets not get ahead of ourselves. I still think that once again PS and XBOX will rise on top. Dont get me wrong but this controler is a heavy gamble and Nnitendo knows that. Its just the majority of gamers want what their acoumstaed to. (I am not speaking for everyone). I belive things are gonna stay the same. PS on top followed by XBOX and then Nintendo. But I could be wrong, I just severly doubt Nintendo will dominate the market.

On another note change the topic title. This applies to more than just XBOX fanboys.

[quote name='Grave Yard']I still think that once again PS and XBOX will rise on top. Dont get me wrong but this controler is a heavy gamble and Nnitendo knows that. Its just the majority of gamers want what their acoumstaed to. (I am not speaking for everyone). I belive things are gonna stay the same. PS on top followed by XBOX and then Nintendo. But I could be wrong, I just severly doubt Nintendo will dominate the market.fanboys.[/quote]

I totally agree with you on the controller thing. Nintendo does know it's heavy gamble but from what I have seen more and more people want the inovation, but also there is a shell to play it as a normal gamecube controller or you could just plug in a gamecube controller. Also you can't forget that when you turn the controller sidways it's a NES controller! One thing though I have to disagree with you on is the how the companies(sp?) will place in the market. Well one reason is because I have been checking up on how the 360 is doing in Japan and it's already out sold the orginal xbox! And if I'm right ( and I'm pretty sure ) Microsoft hasn't even sent another full shipment over there yet ( I ment by that is they have only sent tiny little shipments for like 2 weeks ). So I really think that Microsoft and Sony will be battling this year and also I do think the Revolution will do way better than it's predicesor(sp?). So all in all I think it will be a pretty good console war.

• 3 months later...
[QUOTE=Dagger]So apparently the new system will be officially [url=http://revolution.nintendo.com/][u]called[/u][/url] Wii. Thoughts, anyone? This is going to take a while to get used to...

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

My thoguhts worst name for a system ever.I dont even know how to pronouce it.They should have kept it as Revolution.

It's "Wii" as in "we". See [url=http://revolution.nintendo.com/][color=blue]here[/color][/url]
I'm pretty disappointed in this name. I would've taken the "Nintendo GO" over it. Not to mention that preteen kids everywhere will be laughing at the fact that it sounds like "wee" (as in urinate.) -_-

[font=franklin gothic medium]As I've said over at Tony's site, I think "Wii" is about on-par with Revolution.

Think about it. Try to use "Revolution" in a sentence, describing an object. I've mentioned this countless times...but I think it's a point that nobody seems to realize. "Revolution" is an event, not an object - to describe an object that way in daily life sounds highly awkward. "Bring your Revolution to my house" - what? You're bringing the fall of the Berlin wall over in a backpack? To me it just makes little sense.

Wii isn't much better in the sense that it sounds like "we", which certainly has more [i]meaning[/i] and relevance than "Revolution", but I think it would still sound awkward in a sentence.

However, the name is slowly growing on me...and I love the animation that Nintendo produced to introduce the name.

While gamers will scoff at it, I think it's probably more appealing to non-gamers (particularly females), because it doesn't cater to the "teenage boy" mentality - it's a cute name with lighthearted and fun connotations. So I think it's a name that is, in many ways, a lot more universal than most may think.

But it'll take time to get used to it. Hopefully it will end up like "Google" (which I thought sounded ludicrous when I first heard it), where it's one of those silly names that is so unique everyone knows what it is.

Oh, and I thought this was cute:

[url="http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=1965"]Wii Defined[/url][/font]

[QUOTE=AC!D!C][COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]
The Nintendo Revolu- err..Wii? Squat. Nothing. Zip. Nada. There is a game coming out called Red Steel, and by no means does it cater to females or children, that utilizes the Wii's stupid looking TV remote to the fullest but unless you are actually anticipating the Wii this game has no appeal to you whatsoever.

Nintendo has to blame themselves though, they're trying to be like Sony and not reveal so much but as it stands right now, in my eyes...Nintendo changed the name to get attention.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

First of all, stop being stupid.

Now, that that's out of the way--ever heard of Mario? Or Metroid? Or Super Smash Brothers? Or Zelda? Or Pikmin? Or Animal Crossing? Or Mario Kart? How the hell can you arrive at the conclusion that Red Steel is the only choice on the Wii? As a matter of fact, EA has announced a unique version of Madden that's going to take full advantage of the controller while Nintendo plans to unveil a racing game at E3. There is even rumblings that Konami has something to show.

What makes it worse is that we haven't even [i]seen[/i] anything tangible regarding Halo 3 yet. The project's been super-secretive to the point where Bungie has denied that it even exists. I'm not saying that it doesn't but you're singing its praises a little early. The same goes for Gears of War. We don't even know how well it plays.

Lastly, Nintendo's not being like Sony so much as for a while they've been trying to cover their own ***** and make sure that their ideas weren't stolen. Otherwise, there hasn't been a reason for them to put all their cards down on the table. The same goes for Sony. They're launching much later than the Xbox 360 did. The Wii is going to launch sometime in the fall and Nintendo has revealed enough already for you to have a good idea of what to expect. E3 will definitely be more revealing--because that's what it's for.

As for the name itself--I'll never prefer it over "Revolution." I do like the aesthetic value to "Wii" and the simplicity of it, but the "Revolution" name reflected that the system stood for something big, the unique ideals Nintendo is embracing. The name "Revolution" automatically made it sound like the smart choice, the choice that's going against the grain.

"Wii" is a sort of self-defeating purpose because it's not all-inclusive. It sounds silly and embarrassing. Then again, the "GameCube" didn't sound cool either, and neither does the "Xbox" or the "Playstation." So, I don't really care. They could call it the Nintendo Dogcrap and I'd still buy it. It's all about the games for me, man.

[QUOTE=Charles]First of all, stop being stupid.

"Wii" is a sort of self-defeating purpose because it's not all-inclusive. It sounds silly and embarrassing. Then again, the "GameCube" didn't sound cool either, and neither does the "Xbox" or the "Playstation." So, I don't really care. They could call it the Nintendo Dogcrap and I'd still buy it. It's all about the games for me, man.[/QUOTE]

Wow I feel the exact same way as you do with everything you did say. One thing though that I really loved that you said, and actually your the first that I have seen say it other than me, is that the xbox or playstation isn't that great either. Also if your gonna complain about the name because it sounds weird in a sentence why can't you just say " Hey buddy bring over you nintendo alright!" or you can say " Hey buddy bring over your NW okay!". See simple as that, as for me I'll most likely call it by it's name, but whatever floats your boat.

[quote name='50 cent']Wow I feel the exact same way as you do with everything you did say. One thing though that I really loved that you said, and actually your the first that I have seen say it other than me, is that the xbox or playstation isn't that great either. Also if your gonna complain about the name because it sounds weird in a sentence why can't you just say " Hey buddy bring over you nintendo alright!" or you can say " Hey buddy bring over your NW okay!". See simple as that, as for me I'll most likely call it by it's name, but whatever floats your boat.[/quote]

Yeah, 50 cent, you know--the thing about video games is that they're a nerdy sub-culture in the first place. It's true that they're more mainstream now than they were when I was growing up, but generally they're not seen as "hip" or "trendy." The Wii sort of compounds that problem by sounding childish and embarrassing but I highly doubt that any of us are playing games to look cool in the first place. By changing the name to "Wii" Nintendo has riled up a bunch of nerds on message boards--but most of those same people will still buy it regardless because they're informed. Nintendo is hardly sabotaging themselves. Look at the sales Nintendogs pulled in; it's not exactly a hip concept but it's different, it's fresh. And that's just it--if this thing sells it's going to be because of the low price point, simplicity, developer-friendly nature, and unique controller are going to go a long way in moving it.

Just imagine you're walking through a store and you see an Xbox 360 kiosk and a Wii kiosk set up adjacent to one another. Someone is playing a version of, say, Madden on both. The person playing Madden on the Xbox 360 is just going to be standing there idely playing Madden just how it's been played for years while the person playing Wii is jerking the controller to hike the ball, and moving the controller in an arc to throw it. I have a feeling that when you watch people playing Wii it's just going to look more "fun." When people see that and the prices--a lot of jaded message board gamers are going to be in for a surprise of the Nintendogs variety. I mean, the average non-gamer would probably never give Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 kiosks a serious chance, but the Wii is going to be something different that's going to make them want to stop and pick up a controller. I think that's the goal here.

And, the distance in graphics between the Wii and the other systems isn't going to be so bad. Take a look at Red Steel and then look at some Untold Legends screens for the Playstation 3. Sure, it runs in 1080p but, so what? The screens thus far look like crap. I know that's a bad comparison since they're two completely different styles of games and I know that there will be phenominal-looking Playstation 3 titles, but my point is that generally-speaking, the difference shouldn't be too huge.

So, that's my opinion. Name's absolutely terrible. System and concept are the opposite.

[QUOTE=Charles]Yeah, 50 cent, you know--the thing about video games is that they're a nerdy sub-culture in the first place. It's true that they're more mainstream now than they were when I was growing up, but generally they're not seen as "hip" or "trendy."
[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]If you were informing me that then, Yes I'm fully aware of that. Yes a lot of people do play video games, but one thing I do have to disagree with one thing. Many people who say had an xbox and Halo 2 didn't feel really as cool(that's if your atleast an average to hardcore gamer). I've asked a few friends about it that didn't have xbox live until not to long ago and they said yeah, they wanted live because it would be fun and it was the cool thing, to play Halo 2 live. Me I didn't personally think it was the cool thing until everyone wanted it at my school then at the moment when almost everyone at my school had it.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Charles']Someone is playing a version of, say, Madden on both. The person playing Madden on the Xbox 360 is just going to be standing there idely playing Madden just how it's been played for years while the person playing Wii is jerking the controller to hike the ball, and moving the controller in an arc to throw it. I have a feeling that when you watch people play[/quote]

[SIZE=1]That's what I've been trying to tell people for the longest but I just guess they still don't understand what this controller is capable of and how fun it will be.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Charles']Take a look at Red Steel and then look at some Untold Legends screens for the Playstation 3. Sure, it runs in 1080p but, so what? The screens thus far look like crap. I know that's a bad comparison since they're two completely different styles of games and I know that there will be phenominal-looking Playstation 3 titles, but my point is that generally-speaking, the difference shouldn't be too huge.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Also I agree don't base a game completely on graphics. I mean yeah it is cool to have High Definition graphics but that isn't what completely makes a game. I mean the Nintendo Wii is stronger than the original xbox and yet Halo 2 on the xbox is still considered "good graphics". So people really need to realize that game play is what mainly makes it a good or bad game.[/SIZE]

[color=#990066][size=1]*makes her first post in probably a year*

Wii. Hmm. One syllable is all it needs. XBOX 360 is six; Playstation 3 is like, four...and even PS3 can be anal.

Most of all, what the most important thing is, is the games. It's been said time after time after time for many years. I'm getting sick of seeing nothing but "realistic" 3D graphics, and crappy graphics that are the opposite. Take Legend of Mana and Dragon Quest VIII for example. That stuff is amazing.

That's what I wanna see more of; and more RPGs on a Nintendo console, like back in the day when the SNES was THE console to have. Whatever console is coming out I don't give what it is or who it's from, I just want to have fun [/size][/color]

[size=1]I'm not about to get worked up over the "Wii," but I found the name change rather hilarious. I think that the Revolution sounded much more cool, but as Charles pointed out, it doesn't matter.

I do think, however, that Nintendo is going to get a few penis jokes in the near future.[/size]

For a while, I'd be debating with myself over whether I'd actually bother to buy the Nintendo Revolution. Would it really be worth it? Do I honestly want to deal with that silly looking controller?

Then they announced that its official name is Wii.

It's settled. I [b]must[/b] buy this console, if only so I can throw up my hands and shout [i]"wiiiiiii"[/i] whenever I play with it. It's far too funny to pass up. This is the greatest name for a console, [b]ever![/b]

Guest SeraphimRei
I can't believe they changed the name from Revolution to Wii, what were they thinking by changing the name. I honestly don't care that they did, but the new name isn't as good in my opinion. I think the might have changed the name just to get the attention away from the PS3, and onto their system(Wii). :animestun

[quote name='SeraphimRei']I can't believe they changed the name from Revolution to Wii, what were they thinking by changing the name. I honestly don't care that they did, but the new name isn't as good in my opinion. I think the might have changed the name just to get the attention away from the PS3, and onto their system(Wii). :animestun[/quote]

There was no name change. Revolution was nothing but a code name. Also it's great that they chose that name because it is different than the average name, and it fits it well because the console is not an ordinary console.

• 4 months later...
[quote name='Retribution][size=1']I do think, however, that Nintendo is going to get a few penis jokes in the near future.[/size][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]And you were correct.

Before I bring back the Wii thread with an actual post, I'd just like to give you guys a few links to some funny pictures dealing with the Wii. Viewer Discretion is advised, some of these images are a little crude. Click [url=http://home.planet.nl/~kwart032/wii.jpg][B]here[/B][/url], [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/krypt0nian/38cc.gif][B]here[/B][/url], [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/krypt0nian/29oc.gif][B]here[/B][/url], [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/krypt0nian/15on.gif][B]here[/B][/url], [url=http://i2.tinypic.com/xlbawy.png][B]here[/B][/url], [url=http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/markpatterson007/Wii.jpg][B]here[/B][/url], and [url=http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8250/wii3oc.gif][B]here[/B][/url].

Now to what I really came here to talk about. It turns out that my dream is a reality, the Wii isn't actually always slanted. It's only the stand that it sits on (proof [url=http://gigazine.net/img/2006/05/10/Wii_Hardware/Wii_take_0501.jpg]here[/url]). I'll definitely be sitting my Wii horizontally ontop of my TV since there will be no cords at the front. :animesmil [/FONT][/COLOR]