OtakuBoards

Wii

Charles

[font=franklin gothic medium]Well, GameCube controllers will be compatible with Revolution anyway. So that's covered.

As far as attachments go, I would anticipate that they'd be very cheap. So don't worry about developer support - primarily, the secondary attachment is for virtual console software and not new software. Most developers will take advantage of the new controller in its pure form, along with the nunchuku attachment.

With the nunchuku attachment (which comes standard), you have four buttons, an analog stick and a 3D mouse. You can also access the D-pad easily. I guarantee, that's all you need. lol

As far as people saying it's unconventional and not being interested, well, that's always a risk. The key is for them to actually try it in a store or at someone's house. If they have a good experience with that, they'll probably go for it. This exact same thing happened with the D-pad and the analog stick when they were both introduced. I wouldn't worry if the product is good, honestly.[/font]

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']The key is for them to actually try it in a store or at someone's house.[/font][/quote]
Store trials will probably die in this generation. With the added focus of wireless controllers, you'd need a small cage or constant supervision of booths to make sure some losers doesn't just run off with controls for whatever reason (personally, I can see the novelty factor of owning a Revolution control - make believe is fun!)[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Store trials will not die - they are an essential part of the sales process.

The same could be said for the DS stylus - it's not attached to anything, so won't people just run away with it? Well, no. The stores keep it tethered to the kiosk unit (albeit with a tether that is long enough for flexibility).

The same will be true for Revolution. Stores will simply tether the controller to a fixed point but give it enough length so that you can still experience it without actually walking off with the thing.

In regard to the second attachment (the traditional controller dock), you'll find a mockup of that over at IGN. Mind you, it is just a mockup - Nintendo have yet to reveal what it will look like. However, the mockup is based on what is currently known about the functionality (ie: that the pointer will slot into the center of a controller shell).

Also, there are potentially other features of the pointer itself that haven't yet been revealed. I suspect that one of them might be so-called "haptic feedback", but we'll have to see. Nintendo is still working on the pointer, so it will go through a couple of minor changes before it goes on sale next year.[/font]

All right, I've watched the Tokyo Gameshow conference for myself. I'm extremely happy with what I see now. Then again, I knew I would like it once I learned more and saw it being used. As I said, despite the fact that they've defined how we control games every successive generation, I usually don't know how to react when Nintendo unveils a new control innovation. But, I always end up appreciating it when I get my hands on it.

I still wonder exactly how practical this is going to be when playing a game for an hour or more but I'm happy with how flexible the controller is and it looks like a lot of fun. I just hope that developers actually take advantage of it. I remember hearing numerous developers express their excitement over the DS--but rarely do I see anyone taking advantage of its innovations. With the Revolution, I think it'll be somewhat more difficult to avoid using the controller to its fullest so I'm optimistic. I'm probably just as excited for the Revolution now as I am the PS3 (which says a lot considering that gorgeous Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer and my feelings for that series).

All the talk about the physical implications of the controller reminds me of a game not many people are aware of: Rescue 911. It's an arcade game that uses a motion capture...box, I guess, sort of similar to the old Sega peripheral The Activator. The purpose of the game, Rescue 911, is similar to Time Crisis. Hide, pop out, shoot, etc.

But what differentiates it from Time Crisis is that if you want to hide...you do it yourself. There's a desk there for cover? You need to crouch yourself to hide behind it. It's difficult to explain, but there are minutes at a time where I've been in a crouching position, rolling on my heels--doing held squats for all intents and purposes--just to avoid enemy fire and/or to return it.

The relevance? The controller can certainly duplicate that experience (and it's an arcade experience like none other...if you can try it...do so. It's wonderful!) without a problem.

And really...yes, the potential is there for some really weird physical snags with extended play, but it may have more of a benefit than detriment. If the games are as physical as we're led to believe, gamers may finally get some exercise while playing. Something as simple as Zelda, for example, or that footage of the FPS during the press conference...I think the feature is going to rock.

[font=franklin gothic medium]The risk of physical snags is only the same as making your thumb sore on current controllers, I think. Most games won't require you to use large hand/arm gestures, I imagine it'll be a lot more like moving a mouse.

If you think about how much the mouse has influenced gaming (ie: the FPS genre) and you consider that this controller is basically a 3D mouse...you can imagine what kind of implications that has for precision control in 3D. Potentially, it's an innovation that is as significant as the analog stick.

Of course, I am a Nintendo fan and I like what they do in general, but my GameCube is my least-played system in the last year. I've been spending more time with MGS3 and Half-Life 2. Resident Evil 4 is the only game in recent times that has really brought me back to GameCube.

That's not to say GameCube has had bad games, but I personally have been after something fresh. RE4 was a fresh spin on its genre and MGS3 felt significantly fresher than MGS2 (no doubt thanks to the cameo-related stuff). This is why I'm into DS as well - it's something different than what I've been playing for the last 20-odd years.

Given that Revolution's controller apparently makes existing game software feel better, I can imagine certain games working particularly well with it. I mean, I can imagine Counter-Strike on Revolution being absolutely brilliant. You've got online play out of the box and you've got a controller that is as good or better than an optical mouse.

But as always, it'll come down to hands-on impressions. This is why it's so important for Nintendo to show off this new system as much as possible in retailers. Just like with DS's touch screen, the best way to understand it is to do it. ^_^[/font]

Guest mewlink64
No, the gyration mechanism is seperate from the pointer mechanism. It can still detect motions in 3D space, it simply loses its function as a pointer.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium]The risk of physical snags is only the same as making your thumb sore on current controllers, I think. Most games won't require you to use large hand/arm gestures, [B]I imagine it'll be a lot more like moving a mouse.[/B'][/font][/quote]RSI, here I come![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='mewlink64']No, the gyration mechanism is seperate from the pointer mechanism. It can still detect motions in 3D space, it simply loses its function as a pointer.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yeah, absolutely. If you point it at your screen, it will act like a laser pointer and the system will also detect rotation and position as well as where you're aiming.

If you point away from the screen, it won't actually act like a laser pointer, but the system will know exactly how far away and what position you're in. It will also know where you're rotating or tilting the controller and in what direction.

As for RSI...it wouldn't be any worse than current controllers. In fact, it'd be a lot better, because you wouldn't be mashing your fingers around as much. Moving your arms in the air in a natural motion isn't going to cause RSI - unless you have some other medical condition or something, lol. I never get strain from my mouse, but I do get it from my keyboard if I have to type for a very long time.[/font]

I have to admit at first when I saw this up on Nintendo.com I was shocked becuase of what it looked like because it looked so different. I hadn't been so shocked since I saw the Nintendo DS which was different because it had touch screens. The DS turned out to be a great system and great games are coming out for it. So, I think the controller is going to be pretty cool now that I have thought everything out and all and read everything I could possibly read about it. I'm sure it's going to be a great system with great new promising things in store. I can't wait for it to come out personally to try it.

Hopefully it lives up to my high expectations of it.

I have to agree with Mia on both the ds and the revolution. I mean when I heard that they anounced(sp?) the revolution I was suprised by it's look and it was in a good way. Then when they showed us the controller I was shocked. I kept saying to myself that the revolution will infact revolutionize gaming forever. So I am really excited of how the controller will work and how the game system will be.

Guest LovE HInA334
I have that G4 channel and saw that show uhhhhhhhhh..........G4tv.com.With that Laura gyrl.The controller ls like a uhhhhhh.....remote. :animeknow

[quote name='LovE HInA334']I have that G4 channel and saw that show uhhhhhhhhh..........G4tv.com.With that Laura gyrl.The controller ls like a uhhhhhh.....remote. :animeknow[/quote]
And this post like a uhhhhh.........sux! What relevance does your post have? Have you even been reading this thread? The Revolution controller is not a remote. It's wireless and has the general shape but that's about it. It's an entirely different kind of technology...altogether.

[quote name='Brasil']And this post like a uhhhhh.........sux! What relevance does your post have?[/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue][b]Edit:[/b] Never mind, this has been cleared up ^_^[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]As for the controller, at first, I was a bit skeptical of it. The more I look at it and its attachment though, the more interested I am in actually giving it a try. I think this could actually be a really innovative idea with some nice results.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet (I didn't fully read every post) but I still think it's worth saying. If you turn the controller on its side (90 degrees counterclockwise), you get an NES controller - perfect for playing those NES games you can download with Revolution ^_^ Of course, it has a few extra buttons but I think you'll see what I'm saying from the attached picture I just threw together.[/color][/font]

[color=#4B0082]My reaction to the controller as expressed through smilies. Everyone likes smilies.

-_- --> :therock: --> :eek: --> :drool:

And yeah, that pretty much says it all, heh. At first I was really sceptical, but after reading more about it and watching the video demonstration, I couldn't (and still can't) wait to try it out. The idea of mouselook-like aiming in Metroid Prime 3 and using it for sword strokes in Zelda is, as James once [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=176185&postcount=5]put it[/url], orgasm inducing.[/color]

A few fun snippets of an IM James and I had earlier. The potential for Revolution pretty much blows away anything I can think of on the other two "consoles."

Just the ideas from regular gamers would provide entirely unique and dynamic gameplay experiences that you could only find on a Nintendo system. Didn't Reggie Fils-Amie say something to that effect in talking about DS?

[QUOTE]aestenAIM (1:58:13 AM): [url]http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-genre-innovation-strategy.html[/url]
aestenAIM (1:58:37 AM): I don't really agree with the use of "hardcore" terminology and so forth, but the article itself is pretty interesting.
JamesOtaku01 (1:59:49 AM): Basically, Nintendo is right.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]aestenAIM (2:11:00 AM): And plus...OH SNAP! Imagine a game like Okami on DS or Revolution.
JamesOtaku01 (2:11:07 AM): Yep
JamesOtaku01 (2:11:11 AM): Okami is ideal for those systems[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]aestenAIM (2:13:46 AM): "However if you look at reviews of the Metriod tech demo with the new controller, you will see that the evolution of the FPS can only take place on the Revolution."

aestenAIM (2:14:49 AM): The more and more I read about Revolution,
aestenAIM (2:14:58 AM): the more and more I'm convinced Nintendo has Sony and MS by the balls.
JamesOtaku01 (2:15:03 AM): Hell yeah
JamesOtaku01 (2:15:06 AM): If you think about it...
JamesOtaku01 (2:15:13 AM): Even IGN, who were annoyingly skeptical
JamesOtaku01 (2:15:22 AM): They said that it felt as good as an optical mouse
JamesOtaku01 (2:15:28 AM): And that's on a demo that took a couple of months to throw together
JamesOtaku01 (2:15:41 AM): Can you imagine a next generation Metroid on this thing?
JamesOtaku01 (2:15:45 AM): Especially with online multiplayer
JamesOtaku01 (2:15:49 AM): There's just so much potential.
aestenAIM (2:17:48 AM): Swordfights, too.
aestenAIM (2:18:18 AM): Virtually every single type of game we can think of can be done on Revolution and done better than on any other input medium.
aestenAIM (2:18:35 AM): Starfox...
aestenAIM (2:18:50 AM): They're definitely going to have a Revolution Starfox title.
JamesOtaku01 (2:19:31 AM): Oh hell yes
JamesOtaku01 (2:19:35 AM): Starfox would be gorgeous[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]JamesOtaku01 (2:19:45 AM): I think Mario could be so cool...
JamesOtaku01 (2:19:49 AM): Imagine throwing fireballs
JamesOtaku01 (2:19:53 AM): Or swinging bowser by the tail
aestenAIM (2:19:56 AM): The jumping portion, too!
JamesOtaku01 (2:19:56 AM): etc etc :-)
aestenAIM (2:20:06 AM): Oh...
aestenAIM (2:20:12 AM): and similar to that,
aestenAIM (2:20:21 AM): since the gyroscope functions independently of the mouse pointer,
aestenAIM (2:20:37 AM): you could have medieval type games with maces (the chain variety).
aestenAIM (2:20:50 AM): Provided you have a good grip on the controller,
aestenAIM (2:20:54 AM): swinging it above your head.....
aestenAIM (2:20:58 AM): oh yum.
aestenAIM (2:21:14 AM): An Indiana Jones game.
aestenAIM (2:21:18 AM): The whip.
JamesOtaku01 (2:21:25 AM): *nods*[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]JamesOtaku01 (2:21:30 AM): And if they do incorporate haptic technology
JamesOtaku01 (2:21:35 AM): (which they may indeed do)
JamesOtaku01 (2:21:39 AM): That would totally sell it
JamesOtaku01 (2:21:41 AM): In a huge, huge way[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]aestenAIM (2:28:35 AM): You know what game was great on home consoles?
aestenAIM (2:28:37 AM): Time Crisis.
aestenAIM (2:28:45 AM): But the biggest problem was the Guncon peripherals.
aestenAIM (2:29:01 AM): There was no comfortable way to fire, hide, aim in a manner of seconds.
JamesOtaku01 (2:29:12 AM): *nods*
aestenAIM (2:29:13 AM): Revolution...
aestenAIM (2:29:26 AM): B button was the fire trigger,
JamesOtaku01 (2:29:31 AM): The best part is that Revolution knows where the controller is physically located in relation to the TV.
JamesOtaku01 (2:29:35 AM): so you could flip it upwards to "hide"
aestenAIM (2:29:37 AM): as*
JamesOtaku01 (2:29:40 AM): and then when you aim they can see you
JamesOtaku01 (2:29:50 AM): So therefore, your physical movement is known by the game, which is so critically different
JamesOtaku01 (2:29:52 AM): GunCon can't do that.
aestenAIM (2:29:56 AM): Yeah.
aestenAIM (2:34:31 AM): I would kill the President of Venezuela for Time Crisis Revolution.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]aestenAIM (2:39:42 AM): "For some reason I can only think of violent examples (what would Jack Thompson Say?!) but wouldn't it be nice when exploring someplace without any weapons and just gently shove someone off a balcony with the remote?

Mario Tennis would rock with a remote racket.

I know I'm rambling now but it's just so exciting. If Nintendo pulls this off they'll have Sony and Microsoft and a huge amount of developers clamboring over themselves trying to get liscencing on the remote or trying to invent their own.

The thought of Solid Snake sneaking up behind someone, grabbing their chin and snapping their neck with a twist and jerk of the remote sends a tingle down my spine."

aestenAIM (2:39:51 AM): There are a lot of fun ideas from those replies and comments.
aestenAIM (2:40:05 AM): I'd love to see that gently shoving someone off a balcony.[/QUOTE]
I'm going to pre-order a Revolution as soon as I can. So many of the ideas and concepts possible on Revolution can so easily be actualized into game-form that I'd be a fool not to jump on it now. ^_^

Even though I am a fan of Nintendo I am worried how the new controller will work with new Zelda Games and other games I think it will work a little strange. It makes me wonder if Nintendo will come out with a second controller that works more like normal controllers for certain games

[quote name='joshdude89']Even though I am a fan of Nintendo I am worried how the new controller will work with new Zelda Games and other games I think it will work a little strange. It makes me wonder if Nintendo will come out with a second controller that works more like normal controllers for certain games[/quote]
As said earlier, you will most likely use a gamecube controller to play older games.

[SIZE=1][I]Most of you who are worrying about the new controller here is another attachment that has been passed up alot for it so don't worry it will be fine
[/I][/SIZE]
[IMG]http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/651/651559/understanding-the-revolution-controller-20050916041026412-000.jpg[/IMG]