Wii

Charles

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Still, stretching your arms out like that? It'll get heavy after a while. With just the Wiimote, it's small enough so that you can rest your elbows on your knees, but the wheel is too big for that. Too awkward.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]You could still rest it on your knees. lol Just the same as you can steer a car with your elbows on your knees. They wouldn't be releasing it if it didn't work, so I think it's a nonissue.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]You could still rest it on your knees. lol Just the same as you can steer a car with your elbows on your knees.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Not really. If you let go of a car steering wheel, it stays attached to the car. If you let go of this, it'll fall.

Just try holding a plate like a wireless steering wheel. The position I instinctively went into was letting it limp a little with my arms bent down and the plate below waist level (this is while sitting). I don't know about you, but I found it incredibly ill-fitting. It feels much more comfortable holding it out front, and that, like I've said a couple times already, would get tiring.

I'd much rather use a Wiimote sideways.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Not really. If you let go of a car steering wheel, it stays attached to the car. If you let go of this, it'll fall.

Just try holding a plate like a wireless steering wheel. The position I instinctively went into was letting it limp a little with my arms bent down and the plate below waist level (this is while sitting). I don't know about you, but I found it incredibly ill-fitting. It feels much more comfortable holding it out front, and that, like I've said a couple times already, would get tiring.

I'd much rather use a Wiimote sideways.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Well you'd have to hold the Wiimote out in front anyway to simulate the steering wheel, so I guess you're gonna have to suffer, kid. The peripheral is just to make it easier, and besides which, it's not like a clunky foot wide addition - it's barely wide than the Wiimote itself. Yet again, I declare it a nonissue.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='White][color=DimGray][font=Tahoma][b]P.S.[/b] I also found [url="http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/492/mkaetwcc2.jpg"]this[/url] on Google. Not sure if it's fan-made or not but would that not be the coolest Wii-cessory ever?[/font'][/color][/quote] I'll bet that's a fan-made example. Since the nunchaku attachment doesn't have motion sensing, that shield attachment would be utterly useless (and mere cosmetics wouldn't make up for that bulking mass, lol). And I've got a hard time believing that that Master Sword wouldn't be way too heavy to plug into the end there (not to mention the designers would be more likely to fit the controller into a sleeve in the hilt, as has been the trend in Wii accessories so far), and really, it wouldn't serve any purpose either anyway.

All in all, the whole idea of it comes way too close to LARP for me to go anywhere near it.

And by the way, if words like "Wii-cessory" actually start becoming popular, I am holding you personally accountable. >:(

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Well, the nunchaku attachment does have motion sensing. But I still see your point. I really can't really imagine how the Nunchaku would be attached to the shield... and the fact the motion sensor on both the Nunchaku Attachment and the Wiimote would be covered doesn't help either (though I do recall the site saying something about the sword having it's own motion sensor, but it was translated from spanish to english using google so I'm not sure if that's exactly what they meant).[/FONT][/COLOR]

The Wii conference is going on in Japan right now. Apparently Wii's American release date is November 19th (my birthday, yay!); it's retailing for $250 and will be packaged with Wii Sports. I'm not really surprised about the price, even though most people seemed to be insisiting upon $199.99. It's still not a bad price at all. Wii Sports as the package game is sort of weird, but then again, it isn't exactly out of left field. It's a good game to ease people into the mechanics of the Wiimote. Hopefully there will be some sort of Twilight Princess package though.

Also, Virtual Console Games will be sold for $5-10 each, which is also not very surprising.

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Alright! I was hoping the Wii would be released in time for my birthday. I guess the day of is as close as you can get. :whoops:

Wii Sports being part of the package is kind of cool, I guess because I really didn't want to buy the game seperately (though, I expected it to come built into the Wii as a sort of Wiimote Tutorial).

Virtual Console it a little bit more expensive than expected, but it's still fair. I'll still pay for the games.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I have to admit I'm really quite surprised by how relatively inexpensive the Wii will retail for, I mean $250 is about ?200 and we can be nearly certain of a pre-Christmas release if the US is getting it in November. Secretly though, the Wii will only be complete for me when the release a Star Wars game which takes the Wii-mote to it's full effectiveness, that and I have "Duel of Fates" from Episode One on my PC to really enjoy the moment.[/SIZE]

I'm not surprised by the price. It has repeatedly been stated that the system would be selling for no more than $250. With Wii sports included, which I figured would be the pack-in, it's a pretty fair price. With no pack-in, I would be very disappointed. I am still hoping for an extra controller since Wii Sports is in there.

As for the Virtual Console games are nowhere near more expensive than expected. Xbox Live Arcade games cost between $5 and $15 so, Virtual Console games are being priced just about right. I'm really pleased with the pricing, considering how Nintendo has a habit of over-charging for retro classics. Remember when they re-released Excitebike for GBA for $20?

Also, I noticed that many games have received the expected visual upgrade. Games like Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam and Sonic look significantly better. Even Mario Galaxy looks a little better than I remembered it (although it looked fine to begin with). In general, most games look more favorable in motion:

[url]http://gamevideos.com/video/id/5998[/url]

I'm really interested in Resident Evil Wii as well, with the new information I've heard.

[color=#8B0000]The European conference will take place this Friday, so that'll be interesting. I personally wouldn't mind if the Wii was to get released here at a much later date to the American release, because I don't plan on getting one for a while to come, though I'm sure it won't be too soon before it is actually released.

I'm not thrown by the price, though. I was pretty much expecting it to be in that range from the beginning, so I'm not complaining, and the same goes for the Virtual Console Games. So despite the GameCube's price of £120 at release, it's not bad news at all considering that Wii Sports will be included in the package.[/color]

[b][size=1]It hasn't hit me yet. While my views has been changing about Nintendo, slowly, but it's changing, and with the $250 price tag sounding nice and all. It's just not sinking into my skull. (To be honest, I'm not motivated to get any of the next gen consoles.)

With that being said, I haven't been keeping tabs on much either. So what exactly is Wii Sports? The maddens, Nba's, and whatnot? It's a 1st time for me hearing that type of talk. Because I don't hear people saying anything about sony sports, or microsoft sports...[/b][/size]

[quote name='Venom][b][size=1] With that being said, I haven't been keeping tabs on much either. So what exactly is Wii Sports? The maddens, Nba's, and whatnot? It's a 1st time for me hearing that type of talk. Because I don't hear people saying anything about sony sports, or microsoft sports...[/size'][/b][/quote] Wii Sports is a cartoony-styled package of small games of various sports, made primarily to showcase the Wiimote's abilities and, presumably, get gamers used to using it. Nevertheless, they're supposedly still full-on games, so it should be a perk to have as a pack-in.

I just watched a Red Steel video from the link Charles gave, and I'm pretty disappointed in it so far, surprisingly. The character had almost zero turning ability, for some reason, the models looked pretty stiff, and the HUD was just flat-out ugly (plus, they never used the ghetto rotated-Wiimote side-angled gun position! [i]For shame![/i]). However, it's not a completed game, and I'm sure (or hoping) that they recognize the first and last of these problems, and will iron them out before the release. Anybody know just how far along Red Steel's development is, anyway?

[quote name='Venom][b][size=1]With that being said, I haven't been keeping tabs on much either. So what exactly is Wii Sports? The maddens, Nba's, and whatnot? It's a 1st time for me hearing that type of talk. Because I don't hear people saying anything about sony sports, or microsoft sports...[/b'][/size][/quote][color=#4B0082]Wii Sports is a collection of simple sports games developed by Nintendo and designed to be easy to pick up and play with the remote only. The game includes tennis, baseball, golf, bowling, and boxing. Here's the [url=http://wii.nintendo.com/software_wii_sports.html][u]game's page[/u][/url] on Wii.com.

Anyway, I'm really excited now. The US is actually getting the Wii before Japan, just like with the DS! I didn't expect that. . . . It's going to be so hard to pry myself away from the Wii in order to study for finals come December.

I'm disappointed about the price of the controllers, though. I wouldn't mind $40 for a remote [i]and[/i] a nunchuk attachment, but selling them separately for a total of $60? That seems a bit unreasonable, considering GCN controllers were only $30 at launch and Wavebirds $40 new. Especially when a lot of games are going to require the nunchuk. I'm also disappointed that a classic controller isn't included with the system, though I won't mind as much if you can play virtual console games with a GCN controller.

Ah well, I'll just have to wait till Christmas to pick up some extras. I'm sure Twilight Princess and Wii Sports can keep me occupied until then.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4b0082]I'm disappointed about the price of the controllers, though. I wouldn't mind $40 for a remote [i]and[/i'] a nunchuk attachment, but selling them separately for a total of $60? That seems a bit unreasonable, considering GCN controllers were only $30 at launch and Wavebirds $40 new. Especially when a lot of games are going to require the nunchuk. I'm also disappointed that a classic controller isn't included with the system, though I won't mind as much if you can play virtual console games with a GCN controller.[/color][/quote] Hey, they had to get their money's worth somehow. And look at it this way: if you get an extra three Wiimotes and nunchuks, you're [i]still[/i] paying less than a 360 premium system with only one controller.

[quote name='John]Hey, they had to get their money's worth somehow. And look at it this way: if you get an extra three Wiimotes and nunchuks, you're [i]still[/i'] paying less than a 360 premium system with only one controller.[/quote]

Money's worth somehow? With the exception of the controllers, the system is dated technology and they're going to be making a fortune off the Virtual Console.

In a way all three companies have annoyed me with price this generation. I would have probably been happier paying $199 for the Wii and buying another launch game that I wanted more. Then again, Wii Sports isn't costing them that much anyway, so it would probably still cost about the same without it.

However, next to Sony they're still looking really good. So, I'll be happy with the Wii60 combo for a while.

[font=arial]I think Nintendo has tried to make a modest profit on all hardware while simultaneously delivering something that is relatively inexpensive - certainly inexpensive compared to the competition.

I don't like the price of the controller, but it's what I expect...afterall, these things aren't cheap to manufacture. The price may come down in time though, as a result of mass production.

Overall I'm happy with what I've heard, although I am not looking forward to waiting for Mario. Also, I don't want Wii to launch late in Australia. That'd suck.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=arial']Overall I'm happy with what I've heard, although I am not looking forward to waiting for Mario.[/font][/quote]
[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=DimGray]No kidding. I was mighty pissed when I heard it wasn't going to be a launch title. Hopefully it'll be out in time for Christmas because as soon as the Wii comes out I'm going to be dead broke for quite some time.

Anyway, I'm not too thrilled about the price, but really I don't mind. Most of my friends are getting a Wii so when they come over to play, they can just bring their own controllers. Obviously in the future I'll buy more controllers, but I'm in no rush.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]At first I wasn't going to get a Wii for the sheer fact that it's almost only like a souped up GC, but when they spilled the price I decided that such a cheap console can't be too bad. $250? Thats nothing. Plus, The new Zelda will be a launch title, so that makes me happy. The more I see on Red Steel the more excited I get about that game, and the new Mario looks quite amazing even if we gotta wait for it. Either way, I'm getting a Wii well before the PS3 so I'll have the WiiSixty combo instead of the PSSixty combo.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='di.fm][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]At first I wasn't going to get a Wii for the sheer fact that it's almost only like a souped up GC, but when they spilled the price I decided that such a cheap console can't be too bad. $250? Thats nothing. Plus, The new Zelda will be a launch title, so that makes me happy. The more I see on Red Steel the more excited I get about that game, and the new Mario looks quite amazing even if we gotta wait for it. Either way, I'm getting a Wii well before the PS3 so I'll have the WiiSixty combo instead of the PSSixty combo.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]

Ah, so you've seen the light after all, heh.

Honestly, I love my Xbox 360; it's a great system with great games. But, a lot of those games could still technically be done on the current generation systems--just without as much visual flair. So, the fact that the Wii is roughly on par with the original Xbox isn't such a bad thing. The art in some of the Wii titles I've seen is more attractive to me than super detailed, armored, bald space marines.

Anyway, I'm not too worried about waiting for Mario. Mario Galaxy would definitely take away from the impact of Zelda and Metroid. Furthermore, I would rather be able to focus my attention on one of these big boys at a time. By the time Mario releases, I should be really acquainted with the controller.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Now, of course, the Wii will never replace my 360. The games that are coming out for the 360 I just can't live without, which are also games that aren't coming out on the Wii such as Gears Of War, Just Cause, and yes, Halo 3. What I'm getting the Wii for is the innovation. I want to see how the crazy Wiimote will work with most games, especially games like Metroid, and Red Steel and the console is only $250? I can pull that out of my butt. So in the event that it blows harder than Hurricane Katrina I won't feel like I wasted money, only chump change.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Charles']By the time Mario releases, I should be really acquainted with the controller.[/quote]
Exactly. I'm actually not as disappointed with the delays as other people. We'll get Zelda at launch, Metroid in the next year, and Super Mario Galaxy somewhere within that timeframe I think. It'll help us for a few reasons:

1) It'll give us a chance to know the controller in and out. The Wii Sports pack-in will help to that end.

2) It'll give us less to buy at launch, which I'm sure everyone will be happy with when they sit down and think about it. I mean, in all honesty, when's the last time any of us bought more than one or two games at previous system launches anyway?

3) It means we can devote all of our attention to one or two AAA games, rather than having them spread out across multiple games.

[quote name='di.fm][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Now, of course, the Wii will never replace my 360. The games that are coming out for the 360 I just can't live without, which are also games that aren't coming out on the Wii such as Gears Of War, Just Cause, and yes, Halo 3. What I'm getting the Wii for is the innovation. I want to see how the crazy Wiimote will work with most games, especially games like Metroid, and Red Steel and the console is only $250? I can pull that out of my butt. So in the event that it blows harder than Hurricane Katrina I won't feel like I wasted money, only chump change.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]

Oh yeah, I agree.

I don't really think it's meant to replace the Xbox 360 or the Playstation 3.

The Xbox 360 has really carved its own path with Xbox Live. Microsoft has done some innovating of their own in that area that should not be gnored. Plus, they've really done a great job of luring third party developers, like Capcom over. After the sales of Dead Rising, the exclusivity of some games, like Devil May Cry, has gone into question. Microsoft will really benefit this Christmas because it's doubtful that most PS3 games will feature online capatability. It has recently been annnounced that Tony Hawk's Project 8 will not be online for the PS3, for example.

The Wii will be fun in a different way. It's an alternative that will be great for playing with friends. Plus, with the mass shortages we'll be seeing of the PS3 this year, and the ready supply of Wii's being released, Nintendo should have a great holiday. A lot of the initial games will probably offer questionable use of the Wiimote, but like the DS, once it gets rolling it should be awesome.

Oh yeah, and Papa Smurf--I wonder if the Wii will replace the Nintendo 64 for our multiplayer sessions. heh

[quote name='Charles']Oh yeah, and Papa Smurf--I wonder if the Wii will replace the Nintendo 64 for our multiplayer sessions. heh[/quote]
I started typing up a longer response but then realized no lengthy explanation was necessary.

[i]It's absolutely going to replace the Nintendo 64, because with the Virtual Console, Wii becomes a N64+SNES+NES, and GCN, due to the backwards compatibility.[/i]

*reserves Wii*