OtakuBoards

Wii

Charles

[color=#737373]All of Nintendo's first and second party games will be free to play online, over both DS and Revolution.

Xbox Live Silver is free, and it allows you to play online with special weekend events and other promotional events. Xbox Live Gold allows you to play online at any time. Just wanted to clarify that.

In regard to Revolution...there are a few things to point out.

If you look at past E3 events, there's one common thread that you'll notice with Nintendo. They consider E3 to be a show that relates to the upcoming fiscal year. So, they put emphasis on the products that are launching [i]this year[/i]. At E3, Nintendo usually speaks vaguely about the following year, but generally they have always emphasized the year in which the E3 is being held (and what isn't logical about that?)

Additionally, Nintendo has said that they'll reveal more about Revolution later this year. The thing doesn't even come out 'till 2006, so I don't see why that's necessarily a bad thing. Nintendo has pointed out that every time they create an innovation, it gets adopted by competitors (Rumble Pak, wireless controllers, analog stick, d-pad, you name it). So, according to both Miyamoto and Reggie Fils-Aime, Nintendo are waiting until competitors "lock down" their specifications. At that point, Nintendo feels safer to reveal their cards.

Some have dismissed that as PR spin. I think that's part of it, but that doesn't tell the whole story. What we've seen of Revolution so far is a very, very small amount. Of that you can be guaranteed. A good 90% of the system has yet to be revealed.

Don't forget that Sony has still revealed hardly anything about PS3. They've shown the system design and what is probably an unfinished controller mock-up. They've shown a reel of video demonstrations, many of which were put together to show "potential graphics". There has only been a small handful of game announcements. No price, launch date or online specifications have been revealed.

So in actual fact, Sony haven't revealed a whole lot more than Nintendo. And they're right not to; it's too early. They are launching in 2006. There is no need to put everything out there now.

Microsoft is in a different position, because they are wanting to launch in November of [b]this year[/b]. That means, by simple logic, that their platform is at a more completed stage of development. It means that they should have some actual playable software to show.

However, Xbox 360 has had very little playable software at E3 and there's still a whole bunch of details about the system that haven't been announced. This, despite the fact that it's due to launch globally in a matter of months.

So, forget perception for a moment and consider the facts. Sony and Microsoft aren't as far ahead as you'd think. Sony is in about the right place now, in terms of its schedule. Microsoft have jumped the gun and are now busily trying to have things ready.[/color]

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Exactly.

I don't see why everyone seems to bash on Nintendo merely because they're saving all their best stuff for a later conference (Like E3 06 or something else a bit more obscure) The fact of the matter is, Nintendo has almost always been the first to put innovative stuff on their consoles. Allow me to damonstrate.

Rumble Pak: Started on N64, now is on...everything.

Wi-Fi Online Play: Started with DS, now is seriously being ripped off by Sony. Seriously.

Wireless Controllers: Started with Wavebird, now is on...yeah, everything.

I'm not some nintendo fanboy, I own a PS2 and an X-box, and I'm probably going to have a PS3, an X-box 360, and a Revolution in my house when they come out. Is this based on the scarce showings that everyone saw at E3? No, it's because I'm a gamer, and each console provides excellent games of their own right. Will 360 own my soul because it was released first? No, will PS3 rule me because it has some truly stunning graphics? Of course not. Will the Revolution rock my world because Nintendo has a strong first and second party backing, with a few third party designers, and they have guaranteeable good games? No, not necessarily. Right now there isn't much to talk about with this new console war, but I think Nintendo's making a smart move so that someone doesn't rip off their stuff before these new consoles come out. Don't start off on a new console war when the first one isn't even over!

And that's all I have to say on the issue. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

At the same time, I don't consider many of those innovations to be intrinsic to Nintendo's consoles. A lot of these things weren't Nintendo inventions as much as they were simply the first real application to console titles. If Nintendo didn't do it, it would have happened eventually anyway. Aside from the D-pad, and maybe L and R buttons, most of the things they've added over the years have had some predecessor in the PC market. Nintendo has mainly just figured out how to time out adapting these ideas to the console sector perfectly.

Analog sticks existed before Nintendo; vibrating controllers existed before Nintendo; wi-fi play existed before Nintendo. Hell, even palm devices have ways of doing wi-fi and other connections, but they don't really have any good games. Saying Sony ripped off wi-fi play just seems bizarre to me... especially when not a single DS game has yet to use internet based functions to begin with.

Some of these things were just inevitable. Every controller for every thing is destined to become wireless at some point. There used to be wired TV controllers.. We have wireless keyboards and remote controls that turn on fireplaces. Nintendo was the first company to come up with a decent wireless controller for a console, that's true, but I don't really think that other companies doing the same thing with their next-generation controllers is that much of a rip off.

A lot of the things Nintendo has used have since become standards, but I don't really think the reason I enjoyed any N64 games was because of a rumble pack. The DS has proved that Mario 64 is equally as fun on a DS, despite the lack of great control compared to the original. My point is that Nintendo is best off worrying about their games themselves than some small controller oddity.

The main difference here seems to be that this time the controller is radically different enough that showing it would compromise a lot of what they're trying to accomplish. Maybe it's just me, but a wireless controller, a rumble pack and a stick don't really seem like quite as big of a deal. This honestly seems like the first time they should even bother worrying about being ripped off; assuming it's as amazing and unique as they claim.

In my opinion, they really didn't have to show much. I'm not really faulting them for that at all. It's probably a good move to distance themselves from the other two as much as possible. However, it would be nice if they gave some more concrete answers on pretty much anything. I guess we'll find out before the end of the year as Iwata says.

[color=#737373]I agree about Wi-Fi in particular; that was something that Nintendo and Sony were bringing to game platforms simultaneously. PSP was designed with Wi-Fi in mind from the very start, so it certainly isn't a rip-off of anything Nintendo has done.

The other innovations are different. Sony produced a controller with analog sticks and force feedback as a direct response to Nintendo. And since then, these things have become standards.

It reminds me of touch screens. Touch screen technology was around long before DS. But DS is the first game system to implement the technology as standard.

Part of the reason this is significant is [i]because[/i] of the standardization. Gyroscopes have existed in mice for a while, but nobody really cares because it's not as though every mouse has one. It's an extra peripheral. If you were to include that technology in a game console controller as standard, where every game can easily use it, you're talking about a fundamental difference there.

I think Nintendo has been successful in taking particular technologies and adapting them for gaming use, or applying them in a mass-market friendly manner. The analog stick is extremely significant, because it was something that Sony in particular weren't going to include with the PlayStation at all. Had Nintendo not introduced it - and most importantly, had they not applied it so flawlessly in a game situation - it may not have become a standard for 3D games until the current generation or later. So the implementation is the most important thing, the actual raw technology isn't.

I think this will be the same with Revolution. Some have suggested that Revolution may not include never-seen-before technology, but that it will use known technology applied in new ways. I think that in itself can be pretty revolutionary, depending on how it's done.

The touch screen example is a great one when it comes to that. It's not as though touch screens haven't been seen and used in a variety of areas before. But DS manages to feel completely fresh, because of its use of the technology. Obviously, the technology on its own is worthless without the proper implementation.

To go back to wireless, I also wouldn't consider that to be an idea "stolen" from Nintendo. As I've mentioned elsewhere, one could say Nintendo stole the wireless RF idea from Mattel or something. It's certainly nothing new.

But nevertheless, Nintendo are frequently the company to introduce innovations into gaming that end up becoming standards. So, in that sense alone, I can understand why they'd be guarded about Revolution. This is especially true if Revolution is introducing some control mechanisms that would have a similar impact to the analog stick or something like that.[/color]

• 3 months later...
OK boys and girls, they finally revealed the controller, and damn it's a shocker.
[url="http://cube.ign.com"]
Click here to see it.[/url]

When I first saw it I wondered what Iwata must havebeen on when the idea popped into his head, now the more I think about it the more it sorta makes sense.

I got to thinking how it could possibly be used in any setting other than arcade games in the tradition of EyeToy, but when you think about controlling Samus' arms or really piloting Fox's Arwing with that kind of precision it all seems right again.

Think about swinging around Link's sword, or playing as Chris Redfield(just pretend RE5 is coming to Revolution) and mowing down hordes of zombies with bullseye headshots every single time. Imagine if Eternal Darkness made a comeback, the trageting system would be insanely realistic.

Or you could just be boring and imagine playing Half-Life or Warcraft or something. How about a new Super Monkey Ball?

And on a final note, it appears Nintendo have dropped the Revolution label.

Well, the Nintendo Revolution controller has been revealed. Right now, I don't know how to react. I'm sure I'll warm up to this but my first (and current) impression is extremely negative. I think I have to let this sink in and read up on it. As it stands this image alone disgusts me. I wasn't expecting a television remote and although I recognized Nintendo's goal was to keep it simple, I expected at least a few more buttons.

However, I suppose the analog attachment is cool, as is its likeness to the original NES controller, and the ability to move the controller in 3D space like a mouse should open up some interesting possibilities.

Well, they have officially shown the Nintendo Revolution controller. Here it is:

[center][img]http://otakusennen.250free.com/Revolution.jpg[/img][/center]

[center][img]http://otakusennen.250free.com/Rev2.jpg[/img][/center]

So yeah, that's the controller. The remote. As you can see, they seem to be going with white as opposed to the black that was shown at E3.. Very iPod-inspired.

[quote=IGN]

[b]Main Controller Features[/b]
[list]
[*][b]3D Pointing.[/b] Sensors understand up, down, left, right, forward and backward.
[*][b]Tilt Sensitive.[/b] Controller can be rotated or rolled from side-to-side.
[*][b]Buttons Included.[/b] Has a trigger on its backside, face buttons, and a D-Pad.
[*][b]Multifunctional.[/b] Has an expansion port which can be used with different types of controller peripherals. Analog stick with two trigger buttons planned for left hand.
[*][b]Wireless.[/b] Totally wire-free. Currently there are no details on the max distance, source or power, or otherwise.
[*][b]Rumble Built-in.[/b] Included as a standard in all the controllers.[/quote]
[/list][quote=IGN]

[b]Demo #1: Point and Shoot[/b]
Like a laser pointer, the main controller was used to move a simple cursor on the TV screen and shoot square blocks for points. It was simple, merely colored lines in 2D, but effective. It was easy to get a feel for just how sensitive the device is -- it responded to all the movements quickly and smoothly. We did feel the need to use two hands, however, to steady it and improve accuracy, but that only lends to the idea of just how sensitive it is.

[b]Demo #2: Fishing[/b]
Much more advanced than just a simple cursor, this revealed how the controller can navigate a 3D space, moving an object on the TV screen not only left, right, up, and down, but also forward and backwards with depth. Users simply use the hand cursor on the screen to pick up a fishing pole and dip its line into a pond full of fish. Like nearly all of the demos, this was very crude, so don't go imaging even fishing on the Ocarina of Time level -- this was like a coloring book with flat fish in the water. The visual medium wasn't the point, though. It was pretty intuitive to just reach forward with our virtual hand, pick up the rod, and then dip the hook into the pond and dangle it there. When a fish finally bit, the remote rumbled, which was the cue to tug back on the controller to catch it. As it was only a prototype controller, it was wired because rumble was not in the wireless versions yet.

[b]Demo #3: Shock Stick[/b]
Like the first, this was to show how you can point and move something. It was a bit like the board game Operation, only instead of navigating tweezers you navigated a rotating stick through a two-dimensional cave. The skill was to keep a steady hand, collect coins, and don't hit the walls. Small springboards on the side would change the direction of the spin of the stick, which aided in creating a strategy for navigating around things.

[b]Demo #4: Air Hockey[/b]
This blended basic pointing with something new: twisting. As you might imagine, players hit a puck back and forth by maneuvering their "hockey sticks" with the controller. The catch was that by twisting your wrist, left or right, you could angle the stick to send the puck in another direction. Twisting, in addition to hitting was actually pretty difficult in this demo. It worked to a point, but it also lacked the intuitiveness that a real table would have. It seemed mainly aimed at familiarizing us with the notion of twisting the remote to turn things.

[b]Demo #5: Basketball[/b]
Again, this focused on laser pointer style controls. The game was to simply move a basketball around on the court, not by bouncing it, but instead dragging it by pressing the B-trigger in back of the remote to create an indent. The ball rolled into the crevice, and you could drag it towards the hoops. Then, with the A-button, you could reverse the indent, creating a hill and pop the ball upwards toward the hoop. It was a simple two-player game, but worked to show off the sensitivity of the cursor and how it was interacting with another player in the same space. Surprisingly, it was easy to keep track of where you were on the court, allowing for blocks and steals.

[b]Demo #6: Toy Plane[/b]
Set in the watery hub of Mario Sunshine, this demonstrated that not all controls are created equal. The remote could be held like a toy airplane, fingertips support its base, which allowed the player to tilt it forwards to dip down, back to gain elevation, and twisted left or right turn. The objective was just to steer the plane through rings in the sky. Of course the first thing that came to mind was Pilotwings, so it's easy to see how these simple applications of the controller could be grown into something more complex. It was pretty intuitive to pull off dips and quick turns. Miyamoto joked that you could have a controller peripheral shaped like a toy plane to really make it interesting.

[b]Demo #7: Where's Pikachu?[/b]
One of the crudest demos, the screen displayed a flat map with many Pokemon characters crowded together on it. It was a spoof on Where's Waldo, the famous find-the-needle-in-the-haystack illustrated book. The controller lent the ability to look left and right by just pointing the cursor across the map, but also zooming in by moving towards the screen (or zooming back out by moving away). One can imagine how a sniper rifle in a first-person shooter might take advantage of those kinds of controls.

[b]Demo 8: First Person Shooting[/b]
So, we lied -- not all of the demonstrations were completely crude graphics. For the final demo, the one that most represented how a game might feel with the Revolution controller, Nintendo displayed what was apparently a test by the team at Retro Studios for what they could do with Metroid Prime 3. They stressed it was just a test, quickly thrown together in just a few weeks. For this, the analog control stick peripheral was used. We held it in our left hand to control the forwards, backwards, and side-strafing motions, as well as having access to triggers in back for scanning; meanwhile, the right hand used the main Revolution remote control to behave just like a mouse on a personal computer. It was a very natural application and felt pretty smooth, but since it wasn't a polished game it did feel a bit awkward at times, making us wonder what kind of things a developer could do to calibrate these kinds of controls for users. Nonetheless, the potential is huge for the FPS genre. [/quote]So it looks like all of those people who were screaming "gyroscopes!" were right. From what I can tell from tech demo descriptions, it sort of works like a three-dimensional, in-the-air mouse. There's an A button on the front, and a B trigger on the back, as well as an A and B near the bottom.

But I don't know if anyone really called the "remote" thing. A one-handed controller where you can plug in peripherals that will be used in the other hand. The analog stick pictured above is supposedly pre-packaged with the console.

Also, if you turn the remote sideways, you end up with a very futuristic-looking NES controller.

[center][img]http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/7922/revcont3re.jpg[/img][/center]

As far as actual games, very little was shown. There was the Metroid Prime concept demo, and references to other first-party franchises ("Wave the controller around to swing Link's sword" and such), but no actual footage of anything.

As for my own opinions, I am certainly surprised. I expected a couple of the features (add-on peripherals, and of course, gyroscopes), but the idea of using what is essentially a two-button remote and add-on peripherals to play games has me boggled. I only have two major concerns: The general lack of buttons on the main controller, and how most third party developers will embrace it. The first one is sort of solved through the add-on peripherals and the fact that you can just plug in a Gamecube controller, though, and Ubisoft, Square Enix, THQ, Konami, EA Games and Sega have apparently given praise to the concept.

I will admit that I was skeptical of the Nintendo DS when it was first announced. I thought of the touch screen as incredibly gimmicky, and that it would never be implemented well, but here I am a year later, with four incredible DS games in my posession (Jump Superstars, Nintendogs, Advance Wars: Dual Strike and Meteos), and more upcoming DS games that I want than all other next-generation consoles combined. Through games like Nintendogs, Nintendo has managed to capture new demographics, and if they can pull it off with a touch screen, I would say that they can pull it off with the remote.

At the very least, it's more of a revolution than I had expected.

EDIT: God damn you, Charles. God damn you to hell.

[quote name='OtakuSennen']EDIT: God damn you, Charles. God damn you to hell.[/quote]

Haha! I saw your post and immediately started laughing with satisfaction. To your credit you put a lot more effort into yours. So, don't feel too bad.

Anyway, now that I've pondered this design for a few minutes, I've become somewhat fond of the originality. It introduces new functionality to be sure. But, I'm sure that multi-platform releases are going to be impacted quite a bit from this. On the flip side, hopefully developers are interested enough in the unique design to create more original games for the system if they're not able to bring their multi-platform games over.

Your point about the DS is something I considered immediately but didn't mention. I wasn't exactly fond of the gimmick, and although I still feel that it's under-utilized, I've come to appreciate it a lot. So, we'll see.

OK, about another hour of pondering just what the hell this means for Nintendo's third-party relations I wonder how they could possibly port anything. I though that perhaps the d-pad could be used as more buttons just as the c-pad was on the 64, plus the analogue plugin is a big help for it too., in fact if that is the case then the Revolution would have [i]more[/i] buttons than it's competitors, and it's not like Nintendo couldn't release a standard pad, or plugin, for that little slot on the bottom for it.

Also, Hideo Kojima(of Metal Gear Solid fame) and Square-Enix had praise for it, which could mean very big things. I can see Crystal Chronicles being put to good use with this.

Ah, the possibilities people, try not to worry at all until you actually see the titles that Nintendo have planned.

[QUOTE=Ganon6d9]OK, about another hour of pondering just what the hell this means for Nintendo's third-party relations I wonder how they could possibly port anything. I though that perhaps the d-pad could be used as more buttons just as the c-pad was on the 64, plus the analogue plugin is a big help for it too., in fact if that is the case then the Revolution would have [i]more[/i] buttons than it's competitors, and it's not like Nintendo couldn't release a standard pad, or plugin, for that little slot on the bottom for it.

Also, Hideo Kojima(of Metal Gear Solid fame) and Square-Enix had praise for it, which could mean very big things. I can see Crystal Chronicles being put to good use with this.

Ah, the possibilities people, try not to worry at all until you actually see the titles that Nintendo have planned.[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried. As I said, I just need to let it sink in. I also hated the Nintendo 64 controller until I [i]used[/i] it. That's going to be the difference-maker here. I'll probably have to learn a lot more about the controller and experience it before I can fully appreciate it. I'm really starting to warm up to it though. I admitted earlier that my negative reaction was largely based on my initial impression. Although I still must echo my earlier statement: unless third parties are willing to warm up to the Revolution and make exclusive games for it, then Nintendo is screwing itself. Multi-platform games could potentially be ruined by this.

I must say I don't like it I don't like it at all. :animesigh I don't know what it is but the style just throws me off I think I will have problems with keeping the analog plug in plugged in being seperated the way it is I'm going to have a hard time holding the two pieces level without jerking them apart. So I will wait and see if they release a classic style controller first. :D

[font=franklin gothic medium]I guarantee, when you use this thing, you will be pleased. It has the precision of a mouse, but in three dimensions. Think about that for a moment. Think about how mouse-look is always better on FPS games than analog stick aiming. Extrapolate that into 3D and it'll give you a better idea of what to expect here.

Anyway, I am proud of Nintendo. When people first heard about touch control on Nintendo DS, they were skeptical - until they tried it. When they understood the simplicity, intuitiveness and precision, it all made sense. This is exactly the same example.

In addition, if you combine the secondary controller, you essentially have something that can replicate what traditional controllers have (ie: four buttons, an analog stick and gyroscopic control - which translates to mouse-look or a more accurate secondary analog control).

So, think about the Metroid Prime: Echoes demonstration and how it was converted over to this controller. 1UP said that it felt [i]significantly better[/i] on Revolution's controller than on the GameCube pad. And it did not take long to port over at all.

So, ports are entirely possible - and they will possibly feel a lot nicer with this controller. But ports are the least of anyone's worry. What's most important is the [i]new[/i] software, the exclusive software, coming from both Nintendo and third party developers.

My feeling was that this controller would have the same reactions as the N64 and GameCube controllers. When those pads were first unveiled, a lot of people responded negatively. But after a while, they came to understand how it worked and they played with it themselves. As a result, many features from these controllers became industry standards. If the software is designed around the controller, you have a much better experience.

This is no different. The media has actually responded mostly very positively, even the naysayers. I expect gamers to follow suit, given a reasonable amount of time, news reporting and eventually the ability to try it themselves.

(And yes, if you rotate the controller 90 degrees, it becomes a NES pad - very good for Revolution's download service).

In reference to third parties, do not worry. They are in love with this thing. And when they see the much lower development bill on Revolution, it won't be an issue. As I said a few months ago, you will be surprised. And I maintain that now. It'll all make sense as more pieces of the puzzle come together. ^_^ [/font]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]While shocking, to say the least, I can honestly see Nintendo going somewhere with this, uh, game paddle controller remote...thing. Like James said above; 'Everyone was skeptical of the touch screen on the DS and N64's controller', and I'll tell you that I was at first but they grew on me and so will the Revolution's game paddle controller remote...thing. However, to most casual gamers this controller is going to seem like a waste of money because it looks so goofy and hard to use and thus Nintendo will have another Gamecube on their hands...Its sad really. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I had the same reaction as Sennen at first: I was genuinely surprised, and I had no idea what to think lol. The controller certainly looks very interesting. Reading the largely positive reaction to the new controller has kept me reassured, though. I'm certain that the controller will end up being very easy to use. Can't really form a real opinion until I actually use it, though, haha. I'm also very happy that third-parties are apparently in love with the controller. That can only mean great things for third-party support on the Revolution. :)

Pilotwings...Pod Racing...I'm drooling to see how those two types of games would handle on Revolution's controller. Star Wars Pod Racing particularly. If the controller is capable of having two of those joystick attachments, one right-handed, the other left-handed...a pod racing game would be awesome. You could actually jam forward with the joysticks themselves, right?

What I am most worried about is the cost. Will you have to pay for each extra peripheral? Will I be at a disadvantage or will I not be able to play certain games because I can't afford a specific addon?

That's what I fear most.

-ArV

I wouldn't worry about that too much. Nintendo has never been a fan of making a lot of games that require more then the standard controller. It will probably be like the gameboy game port for N64 controllers, or the Gameboy Advanced adaptor for gamercube: They'll only be for a few titles and probably won't cost very much at all.

[color=darkred]Naturally, my reaction when I first saw it: "WTF?!!!!111"

Seriously though, it looks real nice... I mean [i]real[/i] nice, and I'm glad that it has received so much positive feedback, from both third parties and general gamers. Obviously, actually playing with it and feeling the experience would provide the best judgement for it, but from what I'm hearing I think I won't be disappointed, fingers crossed. I agree with James' reference to the N64 pad, although it seems to be the opposite in this case -- everybody loves it lol.

Nintendo claimed that they wanted to make the pad for the Revolution exceptional, or as they put it, "to make people feel as if they want to pick it up and just play with it". As far as that statement goes, that's the general feel I have for it. I'm eager to see just how comfortable it is when supporting both retro and Revolution games, especially certain FPSs due to come out for the Revolution. Undoubtedly, this will change the experience for many games, most notably Metroid Prime, seeing as it was always different as an FPS, because it was always kind of in the grey-area for me. So maybe Prime 3 will be taken to the next step with the help of the new controller.

Anyway, I like it, and I think it will be a big attraction if anything. If you think otherwise, then rack off.

Oh, and as for the cost of it, I think there won't be much to worry about. keeeen has a point; I doubt Nintendo would try to pull such a stunt, especially not at this stage, seeing as they were kind enough to include the GBA/GC Link Cable with both FF:CC and LoZ: FSA so as the main attractions of both games wouldn't go unnoticed. So yeah, no worries.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']Naturally, my reaction when I first saw it: "WTF?!!!!111"[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I'd say that was everyones reaction when they saw the new controller, my was a kind of "WTF" mixed with "why the hell have they released a DVD remote before the controller", followed by another "WTF" when I realised it wasn't a DVD remote. I have to admit that the more I look at the actual controls themselves the more I'm fascinated by them. Without actually feeling one in my hands I can't make a definitive judgement, but after reading everything here I must admit I think it'll be an exquisite little control. I'll admit it looks weird, but I can't help but be captivated by it, but as had already been said how weird did the N64 control look when it was first brought out.

This is genius and I am seriously hoping for a Star Wars game that makes use of the controls, I mean imagine the intuitive lightsaber movements you could make with this thing.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][size=1']This is genius and I am seriously hoping for a Star Wars game that makes use of the controls, I mean imagine the intuitive lightsaber movements you could make with this thing.[/size][/quote]
Oh yeah. Was thinking the same thing earlier today. ^_^

I'm reading concern/questions about lack of buttons, which admittedly there is a lack of buttons at first glance. But there isn't a lack of buttons. The controller itself is a button. The gyroscope is pretty much a C-stick, or C buttons...only with no actual, physical clicks. :eek:

Flippin sweet.

[font=arial][size=1][color=indigo]With the new focus on bodily movements with this controller, I forsee that small room people put aside for videogames getting suddenly far too cramped, and a lot of bicep muscles getting bigger real damn quick. Especially if you name starts with 'D' and ends with 'esbreko'.

Also, I have concerns about comfort with the remote-esque controller over long periods, but we'll see how it pans out.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=trebuchet ms]Well, my reaction is definitely a positive one. The controller sounds like something ripped right out of the future. If anything, I'd hate to see the cost of a second/third/whatever controller, plus the extra periphials. I wouldn't mind it too much, since they're so cool.

I think that the X360 and PS3 need to pull some crazy stunts to get people (namely me) to care about them right now. As far as I can see now, this would be the system I would get if I were faced with the choice right now. It's a really cool idea. Now if I had a hologram projector, or a helmet that reads brainwaves, then I'd be in gaming heaven.[/font]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I have just watched the full TGS conference and there are a couple of points that aren't really mentioned on news sites.

First of all, you all know about the secondary "nunchuku" style controller attachment, which offers extra features (ie: control stick and two more buttons).

What most sites are not reporting is that Nintendo will be releasing a second attachment that will turn the remote into a more "traditional" controller, which will allow you to play SNES and N64 software.

Iwata said that the nunchuku style controller attachment will come with the Revolution package - so you will not need to buy it seperately.

And in case you have not heard, everyone from Hideo Kojima to the people at THQ and Square-Enix are very excited about this thing. Once again, I strongly recommend reading hands-on impressions - apparently this controller feels as tight, responsive and precise as a mouse, but in a 3D space.

I'm pleased and I think that Nintendo really could pull a DS in the home market in the next generation. At the very least, this new controller does make other next-gen controllers look remarkably old right now. lol

(Here is a link to the conference, some of it is a bit dry but I recommend it if you want to understand why the controller is designed this way: [url]http://www.irwebcasting.com/050916/03/ff3672f7df/main/index_lo.htm[/url]).[/font]

IGN has the actual preview video up now. Check it out [url="http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651334p1.html"]here.[/url]

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms']I think that the X360 and PS3 need to pull some crazy stunts to get people (namely me) to care about them right now. As far as I can see now, this would be the system I would get if I were faced with the choice right now. It's a really cool idea. Now if I had a hologram projector, or a helmet that reads brainwaves, then I'd be in gaming heaven.[/font][/quote]That's not how a lot of people see it, though. There are people- namely, 80% of the Halo/GTA crowd- that would just see this as "less buttons, crappy shape, "gimmicky," "don't fix what's not broken" and so on. But there are some people who will always deny the unconventional.

After thinking about it for approximately seven hours straight, I'm thinking that my only real controller complaint is the small button count. Yes, there are technically four buttons on the remote, but two of them are at the bottom, and would be more or less inaccessible if you're trying to keep your hand up by the D-pad (plus, it looks like they're labeled as A and B just like the other buttons, so they presumably do the same thing). It's a similar problem that Nintendo 64 had with the analog stick and D-pad placement.

I would be satisfied if they simply put two more buttons around the top A somewhere. Then we would have A, B, X and Y, and two triggers (via the analog). Close enough to conventional.

[center][img]http://otakusennen.250free.com/Rev3.jpg[/img][/center]

[left]Something like that, I guess. It maintains the ambidextrous feature of the controller, and I would imagine it would work out well enough. For a rough example, try picking up your TV remote and hitting 2, 5 and 8. [/left]

As for the "traditional" controller.. That sort of reminds me of the Xbox 360 hard drive issue. If it doesn't come pre-packaged with every console, developers might not want to put the effort into it. And I don't see why they couldn't just keep producing Gamecube controllers and make people use those, unless they want to make games that use both traditional controls and the remote's gyroscopes, or they plan on throwing a ZZ button on there to please the Dualshock crowd.

I, for one, can't wait for the inevitable third-party lightsaber-shaped remote. That would be monumentally nerdy.

EDIT: How do you think traditional fighting games will work? Smash Bros. wouldl be pretty simple, considering how can technically play Melee with three buttons and an analog stick (or D-pad, I guess), but what about games like Street Fighter that require six buttons? Maybe they'll release a peripheral just for that.. Hawt. :heart: