OtakuBoards

Favorite Final Boss in an RPG?

Guest Kaise

Guest Kaise
I'd have to say .hack.

[COLOR=Black]You fight the last of the 8th phases, and not some random pop up boss in most RPG's.[/COLOR]

I would have to say the fight with Lavos at the end of Chrono Trigger is one of the most memorable for me and easily one of my favorites. I remembered beating lavos in the form of every other past boss from the game and then lavos' true form thinking i had won. [spoiler]only to see the shell open up and shout "oh crap! theres more?!"[/spoiler]

[color=#4B0082]Added spoiler tags. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color]

This topic is obviously going to get very spoiler heavy.

Anyway, I actually have two favourite end bosses, the Golden Hydra from Suikoden and the Beast Rune from Suikoden 2. Both are multiple parted enemies with the Golden Hydra having three parts and the Beast rune having five.

The Golden Hydra was tough-er than than most bosses but if you trtained than he wasn't too tough. They had good health and each head had immunity to a different element. the Left head had immunity to Earth and could heal, the center head was immune to Lightning and was dealt more damage out of the two attacking heads and the right head was immune to Fire and dealt damage to everyone at a fairly high amount.

The Beast Rune was the more difficult of the two because of six reasons
Reason 1) It could attack 3 times a turn every turn unless it had less than three parts.
Reason 2) One combined attack from the Rune and the two heads was more than powerful enough to nearly take down your whole party.
Reason 3) Every bit was magic resistant
Reason 4) One leg could ressurect fallen parts.
Reason 5) The other leg inflicts status changes on everyone (If you have played the Suikoden games than you know have destructive these can be)
Reason 6) The heads were immune to Combo magic and Unites.

[COLOR=#7C0201][SIZE=1][b]Boss Strategy #8[/b]
1) [SPOILER]Junction Item command[/SPOILER]
2) [SPOILER]Place Holy War first on the Items list[/SPOILER]
3) [SPOILER]Enter battle[/SPOILER]
4) [SPOILER]Wait for Boss to cast Maelstrom/Great Attractor/Hell's Judgement[/SPOILER]
5) [SPOILER]Use Holy War[/SPOILER]
6) [SPOILER]Limit Break like there's no tomorrow[/SPOILER]

That's the easiest way of beating a certain pushover Squenix christened as [b]Ultimecia[/b]. It was worth seeing her defeated by such a sneaky trick; sure wasn't nice of her to [SPOILER]pick three of your fighters at random[/SPOILER], was it? They shouldn't have worked so hard on those great spell animation sequences, knowing that her attacks [SPOILER]could be rendered ineffective by such a strategy[/SPOILER].

Spoiler heavy indeed![/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='The Monster']This topic is obviously going to get very spoiler heavy.[/quote][color=#4B0082]Yeah, it probably is. So remember to use spoiler tags, everyone! Instructions on how to use them can be found [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=40627][u]here[/u][/url], if you don't know how. And if you're not sure if something should be spoilered or not, just go ahead and do it anyway -- it's better to be safe than sorry. :)

I think I agree with QuincyArcher about Lavos, from Chrono Trigger, being my favorite end boss. Lavos may not really be much of a villain, exactly, but the fight is nonetheless very memorable. Especially after going through the game's whole story, which is excellent in itself, and then coming to the final conclusion. (Which can be done in a number of ways, each of which are interesting in themselves.) Beating Lavos actually felt like an accomplishment, regardless of the fight's difficulty level.[/color]

[QUOTE=QuincyArcher]I would have to say the fight with Lavos at the end of Chrono Trigger is one of the most memorable for me and easily one of my favorites. I remembered beating lavos in the form of every other past boss from the game and then lavos' true form thinking i had won. [spoiler]only to see the shell open up and shout "oh crap! theres more?!"[/spoiler]

[color=#4B0082]Added spoiler tags. - [i]Desbreko[/i][/color][/QUOTE]
Damn, I definetly need to get further into Chrono Trigger now, You and Debresko better not be giving it too much credit.

I am inclined to agree with Delta, Ultimecia was dissapointing to say the least. They should have used a villian that had a major role in the story. It cannot even be close to as good as the Final Fight against Kefka of FF 3/6. This was my third favourite boss fight because Kefka is my favourite FF villian.

personally, i find true sephiorth (ff7) to be my favorite final boss in an RPG.

sure He's as easy as **** to beat [SPOILER]Due to the fact that you start with a full limit bar, and get omnislash regardless of wether you had it or not.[/SPOILER]

I just find it amusing to finally beat the crap out of someone who has constantly harried you throuout your whole journey, [SPOILER] dropping parts of jenova on you[/SPOILER]. plus it's good to see [SPOILER]the power of sephiroth's manifest will diminished to such an extent that he can only make himself appear to cloud, in none other than his "true" form, no flashy ****, no "one winged angels", just a normal makou-infused supra-human guy with a big sword[/SPOILER]

That was a truly great moment for RPG's....

[COLOR=Olive][SIZE=1]Suikoden 3's final boss was probably my favorite. Beating Luc could not only be difficult, but rather frustrating. However, after beating him you get all the closure you're looking for. And after playing such a long and difficult game, its important that you're satisfyed with the ending.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Earthbound gets my mention. [spoiler]Giygas is something that is really built up to be the ultimate evil throughout the entire game. He's of such power that you can't even go to where he's located in your actual flesh and bone body; your spirit is placed inside a robot.

Before you even get to battle him, you have to walk through this small area that is just full of difficult enemies. When you finally get there, there's a pretty challenging battle with Pokey who now rides around in some crazy spider robot.

Giygas is literally impossible to defeat by conventional means. His HP is insane. I think the fact that the game uses an unconventional method (praying) as a key to his defeat is really interesting and was pulled off well.

It's really a great battle and everything surrounding it is great too.[/spoiler]

Lavos was a *****. I had such trouble with him my first time through. Strangely, I was able to beat him with only one character on another time through in New Game +. Maybe they lower his HP, I don't know.

Oddly enough, and I never realised this, despite being a huge RPG person, other than the Pokemon games the oonly RPG Ive ever beaten was Golden Sun.

It was a fight to remember though. When Saturos and Menardi [spoiler] fuse into a huge Cerberus thing and start using insane attacks. First they had the lunar drop attack where they jump way up into outer space then come crashing down, hurting all of your charachters for around 3 to 5 hundred. Then there were the individual attacks that did around 700. Every turn I had to use as many summons as possible, and the fight dragged on for around 25 to thirty minutes. [/spoiler] the dude had taken me a ton of tries. I had actually stpped playing for two months and came back, and it still took a few tries.

To anyone who hasn't played this, LEVEL UP A LOT!

Reading this, I'm realizing something... I need to play Chrono Trigger again, I must have been ten the last time I've played it...

As for bosses, I tend to hate most RPG bosses unless they make good use of a gameplay mechanic or force you to develop an unusal strategy.

I'm going to have to with God from Shin Megami Tensei 2 (not released in America), I've always wanted to fight good ol' Buddy Christ. In case you're wondering, the game gives you a gradual choice to either go against Satan (might have been Lucifer, it was all in Japanese) or God.

[quote name='Ænigma]My favorite boss in an rpg? Sephiroth! Im suprised no one has said this yet.[/QUOTE][QUOTE=BakaMonkey13']Braska's Final Aeon in FFX and Sephiroth in FF7.[/quote][color=#4B0082]Guys, please read the [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=43464][u]Favorite Thread Guidelines[/u][/url] sticky thread. Posts that just say, "Such and such is my favorite," and leave it at that are against the rules.[/color]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Lets see here. Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy, oh and Final Fantasy!
Good choices but I'm going to have to go with..
[SPOILER]Having to fight God in Disgaea[/SPOILER] I mean, who da thunk it?
But because alot, if not most of you don't know what Disgaea is, I'll have to go with Ghaleon from Lunar Silver Story Complete. Yeah.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Nita-Chan
I think my favorite battle was the reactor and Eve from Parasite Eve 2...Heh...>>;

Gah, I only beat the reactor once before finding out about Eve. I mean...EVE! A-freaking-gain! Oh well...She's hard though...But I beat her. Just pump her full of lead and lots of spells, and just run around when the screen gets all wavey. Staying in the same place would be a death wish. o.x What really sucks is that she can split into TWO Eves. Come on people, it was hard enough to fight one! >< :animesigh

But then there's also Eve from the first Parasite Eve. I love fighting her. Too bad that game is screwed up now and she wasn't the last battle. >>;

Hm...anyone old enough to remember this game? (Reason she didn't highlight text: doesn't know how, and besides, people can just highlight the highlighted to find out. >w<)

[QUOTE=Silpheed][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Lets see here. Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy, oh and Final Fantasy!
Good choices but I'm going to have to go with..
But because alot, if not most of you don't know what Disgaea is, I'll have to go with Ghaleon from Lunar Silver Story Complete. Yeah.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Somehow I doubt any more people have really played the Lunar titles than Disgaea... especially considering the latter actually did very well for a game of its type and is far more recent. Just write about the one you want lol.

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Lavos was a *****. I had such trouble with him my first time through. Strangely, I was able to beat him with only one character on another time through in New Game +. Maybe they lower his HP, I don't know.[/quote][color=#4B0082]I don't think its HP changes or anything depending on when you fight it, since they expect you to be higher level on a New Game + and able to handle the fight. It's just that a lot of the fight's difficulty comes from you not knowing what the heck you're dealing with on your first attempt. Especially during the final stage of the fight. If you go in knowing Lavos' attack patterns from the start, it's not that hard, provided you bring a decent amount of healing items.[/color]

[QUOTE=Silpheed][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Good choices but I'm going to have to go with..
But because alot, if not most of you don't know what Disgaea is, I'll have to go with Ghaleon from Lunar Silver Story Complete. Yeah.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

If my memory serves me right, you don't fight [spoiler]God in Disgaea. There are gods though, there's the Prinny God, and there's the Item Gods[/spoiler]. You're pobably thinking of [spoiler]Seraph Lamington or Baal[/spoiler].

Also, who hasn't heard of Disgaea? It might be discontinued, but everyone who would like it has probably played it by now.

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Your memory must really hate you because [SPOILER]You fight 'God' your second time through the game.[/SPOILER] and as for people knowing about Disgaea, it was an under the radar hit. Not TOO many people even know about it. Even to this day you'll be hard-charged to find lots of fans.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest gatogaming
I'd Have to say the best Final Boss was..............
Sephiroth off Final Fantasy 7, by that time you truly hate him, but love him at the same time. So killing him, is kinda difficult.

THE BEST BOSS EVER, IS KUJA OFF FF9!

[SIZE=-3][COLOR=DarkRed]Favorite Final Boss you say? By far, it had to be Frank Horrigan from Fallout 2. He's wearing a HUGE silver, custom power armor outfit and has a Plasma Mk.II rifle on his left arm and a double-vibroblade on his right. Frank always was an ominous figure, you encounter him out in the desert once, where you watch him murder a farmer and his family since they refused to help the Enclave. From there on out, you only get to see recordings of him slaughtering your friends through out the game. But finally, after you *think* you're going to win the game, in the last 10 seconds of your escape from the Oil Rig...he blocks you way out to the tanker. I love his speech at the very end, his voice rocks.

But I felt very bad for the way he died though, was a little too brutal. No matter how you kill him, his death animation is always the same. Suit malfunctions and he is ripped in half. Finally, his torso walks up next to you (By walking on his arms) and he gives you one last speech, and after muttering "Semper Fi" one last time, his head blows off and the rest of his torso finally falls dead.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=gatogaming]I'd Have to say the best Final Boss was..............
Sephiroth off Final Fantasy 7, by that time you truly hate him, but love him at the same time. So killing him, is kinda difficult.

THE BEST BOSS EVER, IS KUJA OFF FF9![/QUOTE]

I hate Sephiroth as a boss and as a character. As for Kuja he wasn't that great a boss. His trance form was impressive though.

Anyway I would say the 2 headed dragon at the end of Golden Sun and the 3 headed dragon at the end of Golden Sun 2 were some great bosses. They both took at least 20 mins.

The one that takes the cake for me though is Bosch and his dragon form at the end of Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter. He was easy except that you had to try and work it in such a way that he died but your Dragon meter didn't hit 100%. The Dragon form though you HAD to exceed 100% and the meter reaches a state of 300%. Great fun.

[QUOTE=gatogaming]I'd Have to say the best Final Boss was..............

THE BEST BOSS EVER, IS KUJA OFF FF9![/QUOTE]

Sepiroth was a terrible boss, He could be taken down by using a certain summon once or twice. Incredibly dissapointing end boss, I have seen more impressive bosses in the Dungeons and Dragons games. Actually; to tell you the truth, Eye of the Beholder on PC had an awesome end boss in the form of the Beholder, He required a lot of strategy to get by.

[quote name='Zabuza][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Your memory must really hate you because [SPOILER]You fight 'God' your second time through the game.[/SPOILER] and as for people knowing about Disgaea, it was an under the radar hit. Not TOO many people even know about it. Even to this day you'll be hard-charged to find lots of fans.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

I hardly meant the game sold three million copies or something, but you're comparing it to [i]Lunar[/i] of all things. That's my point. In any case, if you prefer the boss fight in one game it seemed strange to me to list another one simply because a handful more people know of it. It's not like comparing Final Fantasy to Stella Deus or something. There isn't a huge buyer difference.

Lunar hasn't sold amazing well on this side of the ocean compared to anything else either. Disgaea at least made it onto top monthly sales charts and did well enough for Atlus to make a second production run, which they don't generally do.

Both games are painfully unrepresented on OB though. I'm glad someone likes them enough to mention them in here, honestly lol.

[color=darkred][SIZE=1]Ehh, I see many final fantasy Bosses in the future of this thread. Let's see, favorite boss battle in an RPG... That certainly narrows the topic down ALOT, considering I dont play RPG's much. I would have chosen Revolver Ocelot from MGS1, but it seems we only have Rpg's to choose from. I would have to go with, my personal favorite boss, from my personally favorite game. Final fantasy 7. Sephiroth puts you through soo much sh!t in that game, (mainly one that happens later in the game) and you just want to kill that sob as soon as you can. Alot of people online over use his name for IM accounts and the such, but he is still my favorite boss.[/SIZE][/color]