OtakuBoards

Things your city/state probably doesn't want to be known for...

PiroMunkie

[SIZE=1]Ok, I was just wondering if there is anything your city/state/province/whatever doesn't really want to be known for.. for example, Omaha, HOME OF THE TV DINNER!!! Lol, yup that's correct ladies and gentlemen! My home town is the origin of those things you just stick in the microwave and *POOF!* you have a dinner!(and they dont even taste that good) And even better, the person that [i]made[/i] the first TV dinner(as in the actual creator of 'em) graduated from my high school! WOW! How sad is that, lol :rolleyes:

Heh, ya, but now that you have the idea, how about you?[/SIZE]

Erm, well, I'll be positive for a brief moment: Our School is the region champ in football, and we're playing first-round of state play-offs this Friday. That's something we're known for, our football team has decided to finally start winning their games. :rolleyes: Um, other than that, the city in which I currently reside is known for .......... long, aimless dirt roads, which are completely heck to drive on when it rains (we're talking good ol' Georgia red clay -.-) and rednecks everywhere you look. And if ya don't see 'em, ya hear 'em! bah, I can't wait 'til I can LEAVE for college....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by DuoGod of Death [/i]
[B]Hmm...KANSAS.....Flat...nothing but flat..NO HILLS! Nothing...just flat plains...Hardly any trees...just FLAT!! :nervous: [/B][/QUOTE]

heheheh......... look! It's a twister! Hurry, get down in the cellar! .......... I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto....
heh, sorry, couldn't resist. :D

[FONT=century gothic]Erhm....My city is the home of the

In
Sink
Erator

the first in-sink garbage disposal....

And, ah....it's the Kringle Capitol of America.....

and.... it has one of the eleven largest free zoological gardens in America....

and....it's the home of Johnson Wax. Half the city works there...

and....Case tractors...that's about all I can think of.

Gosh! Who [i]wouldn't[/i] want to live here![/FONT]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]
[B][FONT=century gothic]Erhm....My city is the home of the

In
Sink
Erator

the first in-sink garbage disposal....

And, ah....it's the Kringle Capitol of America.....

and.... it has one of the eleven largest free zoological gardens in America....

and....it's the home of Johnson Wax. Half the city works there...

and....Case tractors...that's about all I can think of.

Gosh! Who [i]wouldn't[/i] want to live here![/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE][SIZE=1]Lol, neato! Though I don't think I'd wanna live there :rolleyes: hehe, garbage disposal, thats funny :laugh:[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PiroMunkie [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]Lol, neato! Though I don't think I'd wanna live there :rolleyes: hehe, garbage disposal, thats funny :laugh:[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]Don't knock it. I know people here who are flippin proud of the thing...

Yes, grand old Wisconsin is just full of interesting stuff.

For example!

The world's largest fiberglass muskellenge is located in Hayward, WI. [It's part of the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame. Unless you are much obsessed with fishing, do not, by any means, even think about going there. :cross: ]

The largest twine ball assembled by one man is in Lake Nebagamon.

Carmex was invented in Franklin.

Two rivers is the home of the first ice cream sundae.

Malted Milk was invented here in WI.

And...uh...well...that's probably more thn you ever thought you'd ever want to know about this place.[/FONT]

[color=deeppink]I'm confused...is this supposed to be what your state is known for, or what you wouldn't want people to KNOW your state is known for?!

Ah, well, no matter.

Michigan...

*Detroit, home of the automobile (make sure to thank us for that one!)
(*Detroit, home of the Lions *cough* they suck *cough*)
*We have [i]two[/i] peninsulas :p
*Uhm...anything else? Nothing that you would be interested in, I'm sure...

Oh wait! Something I wouldn't want my state to be recognized as is...The Ghetto Capital of America! Me no joke! Detroit is rated the #1 most dangerous city in the US, and Flint, Michigan is #3. Weelll inn't 'that special...[/color]

[SIZE=1]I live in southern california, and whenever I tell that to someone out of state (or country) they always ask me "Do you surf?" or "Do you know any movie stars?" The worst part is that I actually DO surf, so now these stereotypes are being further pushed across the globe. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Lol, I can't think of anything odd about Canada, or as I call it Kanadia :D And to asnwer BabyGirl's question, this topic is just things that are very odd about your state/city/province/whatever, lol, I mean, come on, the TV dinner originated here, in Omaha, Nebraska. How lazy are [i]we[/i]!?! lol, sure the guy's probably a multi-millionaire but jeese! I wouldn't want to be known for that, lol[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]I live in southern california, and whenever I tell that to someone out of state (or country) they always ask me "Do you surf?" or "Do you know any movie stars?" The worst part is that I actually DO surf, so now these stereotypes are being further pushed across the globe. [/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

i get people asking me if I ride horses to school. and they're shocked when i reply with a "no"

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Harry [/i]
[B]

i get people asking me if I ride horses to school. and they're shocked when i reply with a "no" [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Where do you live Harry? I can't think of a place I associate with riding horses at the moment. Hmm...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I never really thought of horses when i thought of Texas, I understand the cowboy stuff and all but I never really expected you guys to all ride horses evrywhere. Pick-up trucks maybe, but definitely not horses.

PS: Do you wear cowboy hats everywhere? ;)[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B][SIZE=1]I never really thought of horses when i thought of Texas, I understand the cowboy stuff and all but I never really expected you guys to all ride horses evrywhere. Pick-up trucks maybe, but definitely not horses.

PS: Do you wear cowboy hats everywhere? ;)[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE]

let's put it this way, i feel naked without my cowboy hat:D j/k

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BabyGirl [/i]
[B][color=deeppink]I'm confused...is this supposed to be what your state is known for, or what you wouldn't want people to KNOW your state is known for?!

Ah, well, no matter.

Michigan...

*Detroit, home of the automobile (make sure to thank us for that one!)
(*Detroit, home of the Lions *cough* they suck *cough*)
*We have [i]two[/i] peninsulas :p
*Uhm...anything else? Nothing that you would be interested in, I'm sure...

Oh wait! Something I wouldn't want my state to be recognized as is...The Ghetto Capital of America! Me no joke! Detroit is rated the #1 most dangerous city in the US, and Flint, Michigan is #3. Weelll inn't 'that special...[/color] [/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=firebrick][SIZE=1]BabyGirl. . . no making fun of Detroit!!. . LOL, the Lions do sadly suck though =( Just lost the Thankgiving game, sending them to 0 - 10. . .:bawl:

As for things that Michigan is known for - they touch 4 of the 5 Great Lakes. . . that is pretty sweet. Things that they shouldn't be known for. . . well, their pro-sports teams have been sucking, except for the REDWINGS!! WOOT!!

Ok. . on to where I live now though. . Franklin, TN. This is actually one of the nicer cities in TN. It's sister city is Brentwood, and both have very high income per capita over the rest of TN. . . oh wait. . that isn't what this thread is about is it? . . Hmmm. .

TN is known for Country music. .that is bad, right? LOL, we have an overabundance of hicks/rednecks. . that is never good. Almost the entire state is filled with bandwagoners. When Oilers came to TN, only about 5% of the people here were TRUE fans. . the rest, opting to just watch the games on T.V. But when the Titans(renamed from the Oilers) got to the Superbowl - there was not a vehicle in the state that didn't have all sorts of merchandice on their car, not a person without the jerseys on, and not a baby dressed up with a full ensamble of Titan's propogandy on. . . . how sad indeed. Now that Titans are doing horrible, that same 5% can be seen with the Titan's flags/clothes/etc. but the rest? Well . . they will just say that they never really liked them to begin with. Or blame it on Eddie George. . *sigh* I hate TN. .

Sooo. . . how is that? will that do? :D [/COLOR][/SIZE]

well. my hometown of powhatan, va, has the lowest murder rate in the state. [I]but[/I] every murder in the last five years has been high school kids killing mostly high school kids. not one killer over eighteen. this one guy i know disemboweled his father & slung the entrails all over his living room. he was later killed in a shootout w/ the cops. he was only fifteen... & sadly, i have been friends w/ 90% of the people involved.