OtakuBoards

Favorite Band and Why

Jake of Bodom

Envy-sama started this thread and it got closed WAAAAAAY to prematurely. I've started it back up!

Rules are pretty simple: pick one [U]band/recording artist[/U] (not genre, that's why the other one got closed) and describe why they're your favorite group! Don't make it [I]too[/I] long though, just like Envy-sama said - that way it won't get boring :animeswea

Favorite Band: [B]Children of Bodom[/B]

Why: Because I love music that you really have to listen to and think about, I love flashy guitar lines and insane solos, I love beautiful melodies, and I love crazy keyboard stuff. Children of Bodom has all of these qualities. That's why they're my favorite band ever.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Oh boy this is a toughy... Who to choose who to choose... Ahhhhh...

Band: The Tragically Hip

Why: Why? Simple. The Tragically Hip have one of the greatest, most poetic-minded, truely amazing song-writers singers of all time. Gord Downie. For 15 years their music has literally woven the threads of the Canadian identity, the sheer complexity of each and every song on so many levels is sheerly amazing. But not only can they make a good, touch-your-heart song (Like Fiddlers Green or Throwing Off Glass) but they really know how to belt out a bar-rumbly jam (See: Courage, New Orleans is Sinking, or On The Verge) I prefered them back before they became famous, back when they were a bar-band, back before "Poets" turned them into a more new-age-pop-band. In closeing... It's a good life if you don't weaken, don't wake Gus the Polar Bear, and get off New Orleans before it sinks.

Close seconds were Rush and Tenacious D, and maybe Dire Straits ranks up there. So many bands... um... The Police... Trooper... Triumph... Gordon Lightfoot... ok, finally, The Beatles. What can I say? Who doesn't love the Beatles.[/COLOR]

Hm alright I'll bite ^^ It's hard to pick my favorite but I think I can.

Favorite Band: Better than Ezra

Why: I love the vocals, the lead singer's voice has a decent range and is very soothing to listen to. Plus the music varies, if you look at One More Murder, Good and Wallflower they are very different styles and yet it all works so well. The lyrics too, have meaning and the general sound of the music is terrific.

A close second though is Straylight Run. It was hard to pick.

Yep, Jake, you're about to hear it again:

[b]Circle Takes the Square[/b]

[size=1]They're a hardcore band with metal, rock, hip-hop, and symphonic influences. They formed in 2001, became popular almost overnight and got their original demo produced the same year. They originally had four members, but after the demo got to 'the shelf,' Colin, their second guitarist, had to call it quits. They began work on their next cd, As the Roots Undo, in 2002, and it hit The Shelf in early 2003. It was well liked by critics and some 4 million fans, not bad for three art students in Savannah, right? They recently got a new second guitarist and their drummer, as of this month, has left them.

I love this band because of their unique music. No one comes even close to sounding like them. Evenyone in the band is amazingly talented, one listen of their best song, Crowquill, will make you say "What the hell was that?" The second listen of the song will win you over. Not to say that their only good song is Crowquill, it's just the most accessible. If you don't really like heavy music, Interview at the Ruins is another good pick, simply because it'll probably be the strangest song you've ever heard. Kill the Switch is a Stairway to Heaven-sized masterpiece, complete with little moments of an orchestra effect placed over Drew's guitar.

I guess that's all I can say! I tried my best to keep it short. I mentioned that they're art students, Drew has his work on [url]http://crowquill.net[/url] . He inked out all of their cd covers and also did work for Kylesa.The only problem is that he's constantly working on the site and most of the pictures are usually broken. Everything on the site was drawn by him, the backgrounds, the letters, pretty much everything! Fun stuff. You can also visit the band's website at [url]http://circletakesthesquare.com[/url] .[/size]

[size=1]Favorite band: Green Day.

I like Green Day because their songs are just so catchy, wehter it's Minority, Closing Time or American idiot, it's all good stuff.

I bought American Idiot the other day, and I'm veyr inpressed, it's got some real wicked songs on it, like Letterbomb, Holiday and St. Jimmy. Very catchy, great sounding songs.

I'm forming a band with some of my mates, and Green Day are a big influence on our direction.
[/size]

Jake: I have one of their albums on my computer if you can't find anything. I don't know what's online lol.

Well, this is more of a musician than a band, although I'll talk about his more famous sideman too:

[B]David Bowie[/B]

I've been a huge David Bowie fan for years. I don't have every last thing of his yet (he has like 50 releases last I heard... the most notable one I don't have is Pin-ups), but I'm close enough.

To me, David Bowie is basically just the god of rock music. He has periods that are less impressive (the late 80s, early 90s for example), but his output from 1969 to the early/mid-eighties is almost nothing but absolutely excellent material. I don't think a single other artist has matched that amount of constant quality. Several of his albums would easily make it into my "Best Albums Ever" list; more than any other artist I can think of.

In addition to writing some just excellent lyrics, Bowie has pretty much mastered a variety of genres and meshed them into his existing sounds. I'm sure most everyone is familiar with at least one Bowie song, whether they know it or not. He's far more influential on today's music than some may realize. I've read various things about that... for example, a survey was conducted amongst a large portion of artists today and Bowie was the number one influence. I was suprised by that. Even now, he still continues to push out some very solid work

I've always been a big fan of developed personas in bands, as well. Bowie was one of the first people do to this to a heavy extent, in particular because each of these images were fully developed characters with voices and motivations. It worked and it worked really damn well.

Aside from himself, there's also Mick Ronson. Ronson was a large reason why Bowie got out of his pre-Space Oddity (aka Man of Words, Man of Music) hippie-like stage. Ronson is an amazing guitarist (one of the greats, really), an excellent writer and a phenominal arranger. He is responsible for a lot of the well known Bowie guitar solos (such as on Moonage Daydream; he was basically the head of The Spiders From Mars in Bowie's Ziggy Stardust days) as well as the various string parts that make songs like Life on Mars? so amazing.

I love a lot of other bands, but I don't know that any are really on the same plane as Bowie for me personally.

my favorite band is pink floyd

The wall!!!

[font=Verdana][color=blue][b]Edit:[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]The title of this thread is Favorite Band and [i]Why[/i]. Please include an explanation of your choice so people know exactly why you chose Pink Floyd as your favorite band. Thanks.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]- Petie[/color][/font]

[font=arial][size=1][color=darkorchid]My favorite band...hm...I'm allowed to have two, right?

(In no particular order)

[u]Rasputina[/u]
I'm in so much love with their beautiful sound and Melora Creager's voice and lyrics are so amazing. The band is currently made up of two cellos (Melora and Zoe Keating) and drums (John McTeese, who's also very sexy). Rasputina makes me laugh, because the songs can be very comedic and very poignant at the same time. They inspire me, and cheer me up when I'm depressed. And as if their music wasn't good enough, they're super silly. [URL=http://www.rasputina.com/antics.html]This Cow thing[/URL] is evidence enough of that. I self proclaim Melora to be the absolute most super cool person in the whole entire world!

[u]Nightwish[/u]
My very favorite symphonic metal band. Very very very. Tarja's voice is one of the best I've ever heard; she's had years of operatic vocal training, and it shows in her sound. Tuomas' lyrics are often profound, even if I don't always agree with them. If there's a Nightwish song I don't like, it's because I highly disagree with the lyrics (and that's only happened once). And then off of music, they = pretty. I just think Sami is a better vocalist than Marco, though, that's the only other flaw. x_x;; I also can't live without the Century Child Album. Over the Hills And Far Away is pretty good, and Once is just AMAZING, but I really prefer traditional Nightwish to Once. The orchestras and choir was a nice touch, producing an album that none can possibly compare to, but it's hard to find the true Nightwish behind all the glamor.

[/font][/color][/size]

[font= trebuchet ms]Can I throw another one out there? Sure? Ok!

[b]Anthony Green[/b]

[size=1]Not exactly a band, but a singer. Anthony was in Saosin, and now he's in Circa Survive and The Sound of Animals Fighting. Think Claudio Sanchez from Coheed and Cambria on crack, and you'll have a good idea of what he sounds like. Saosin is an Emo band, Circa Survive is Alternative Rock/Emo, and The Sound of Animals Fighting is Progressive Rock/Experimental.

Anthony has... dare I say it... a beautiful voice. He's that kind of singer (like Claudio) who you either hate or adore. A lot of people diss him because of his just plain weird antics on stage. There was one time when he was in Saosin where he started 'moshing' with the other bandmates during the finale and he hogtied himself with the wire and fell. I think it's just plain funny, but it basically brought Saosin down a few notches until they found a different singer who's hated even more now since he can't sing like Anthony. Go figure!

This recommendation is not for you, Jake, but if you have lighter tastes in music, check out Circa Survive - Juturna.[/font][/size]

[b][u]Tegan & Sara:[/u][/b] Catchy pop rock. With a little bit of Ani-DiFranco-style folk. That's pretty much all I can say to really describe them. I love every song they've every written, and, while this may not apply to everybody, you might at least be able to appreciate their simple songwriting (you're bound to get "Walking with A Ghost" stuck in your head at least once). Each of their 3 albums have been noticably different stylisticly, and I think that's a good song; I'm sick of cookie-cutter bands that all sound the same.Their live shows (which are terrific) are sprinkled with random stories, and they just seem like fun people.

[b][u]Good Songs:[/u][/b] "Walking with a Ghost", "Speak Slow" "Where Does the Good Go?", "You Wouldn't Like Me", "My Number" (I could go on and on until I named just about every song, but I wont...)

My favorite band is Sonic Youth. I don't really know how to classify them... I guess they're an alternative band, but that seems too generalized a description lol. Sonic Youth is mostly known for the dissonant, experimental guitar playing of Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo. They're a lot more than just a bunch of random, crazy guitar noise, though. I personally love how Sonic Youth takes that noise and manages to craft it into honestly great sounding music. Their music has grown more accesible as time has gone on, but I don't think that it has gotten any worse at all. Sonic Youth has been playing for nearly twenty-five years now, so I think they know what they are doing in that regard lol.

In addition to that, they are pretty good writers and I like how different each of the vocalists' voices are. I personally enjoy Kim Gordon's the most when she's at the top of her game, but she can be hit and miss at times. There are some songs where she is trying to hit notes that are out of her range and it doesn't sound very good at all lol. Thurston's voice is probably the most consistently nice sounding. I don't know if I've ever heard him record a bad song. Most people probably like his voice the most. I like the rare songs where Lee sings, as well. His voice is a nice contrast to Thurston's; it's a bit strange at first, but it grows on you.

Other bands that come close to being favorites for me include Pixies, Curve, Ween, The Beatles, and Queens of the Stone Age.

Gorillaz...cuz um... Cuz I have a crush on the lead singer. No... I dunno, I guess it's because I've never seen the real them... and because the music's good! I can sing it really loud and dance! <~ All offbeat of course.. And I'd say my second fave band is L'Arc-En-Ciel... cause I don't get out much---oh and O-Zone's pretty good too, even though they broke up. You guys know of any better bands? I need new music!!!!!!!!!!!!

[SIZE=1]No surprises here...

Favorite Band: [B]Atreyu[/B]

What can I say, I love the band. Not having been around all that long they're already insanely popular and whatever shows I go to they're always packed. They play awesome live and basically awesome in general lol. Alex (their singer) has really got into the groove and I've seen them play over hour long sets without him losing his voice or becoming to rasp. "Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses," is my favorite of their CD's and I encourage you all to go get it, NOW.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toboeFan
[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]Envy-sama started this thread and it got closed WAAAAAAY to prematurely. I've started it back up!

Rules are pretty simple: pick one [U]band/recording artist[/U] (not genre, that's why the other one got closed) and describe why they're your favorite group! Don't make it [I]too[/I] long though, just like Envy-sama said - that way it won't get boring :animeswea

Favorite Band: [B]Children of Bodom[/B]

Why: Because I love music that you really have to listen to and think about, I love flashy guitar lines and insane solos, I love beautiful melodies, and I love crazy keyboard stuff. Children of Bodom has all of these qualities. That's why they're my favorite band ever.[/QUOTE]

you're right ...Children of Bodom is one of greatest bands ever! but MY FAV is Tristania xD even without Morten Veland they still make very good, dark, romantic, unique, wonderful music, I LOVE VIBEKE'S VOICE!! and the lyrics.....ahhhhhhh! they're just the best.... :animeknow

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][B]Favourite Band[/B]: KoRn

[B]Why?[/B] I love the aggressive vocals and music, and think Davis is one of the more talented lyricists out there right now [though many would disagree]. Fieldy's bass style is insane in the best sense of the word, Silveria is a monster on the drums [have you seen how many drums he has in his kit? OMFG] and Munk is a great guitarist. 'Course, Head was too, but he's gone now. Wish him all the best in his new Christian endevours. :)

First song I heard from the band was It's On, cause my mate Brenton had put it on the stereo. And I fell in love instantly. I don't know if it was the lyrics, or the vocals, or what, but I did. I borrowed his copy of Follow the Leader that same day and it took me 8 months to give it back. >.> At that point I started buying their stuff, starting with Take a Look in the Mirror. I have all their studio LPs, the greatest hits compilation and a preorder for their CD to be released next month, Souvenir of Sadness. Having heard some leaks for SoS, I'm really really excited for it. If they decide to tour and come to Aus I will give my kidneys to go, I swear.

I also like Marilyn Manson a lot [who I would consider a better lyricist than Davis], but not as much as KoRn. There's something about KoRn that just seems to appeal to me, I don't know. For the record though, because I know [considering this boards visitor base] some idiot will say it - I don't, and KoRn don't, consider the band nu-metal. Maybe early on, but Untouchables was pretty much the point where it moved away from those stylings.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Favorite band : [b]The Mars Volta[/b]

Reasons : There is nothing like them anywhere. They're so atmospheric and great that no band today, in my opinion, can match their [i]sound[/i]. Have you ever heard of a progressive punk salsa latin jazz jungle rock band? They mix all these styles to create orgasmic music that is just [i]too[/i] good. I first heard of them in January of this year when I listened to Concertina off their Tremulant EP. I was just amazed, amazed, amazed beyond belief. It was if my ears were having orgasms. After that I listened to the rest of the EP and thought that this band was just wonderful and I was dumbfounded that I hadn't heard of them before. I read up on them and to my suprise, they contained members of a band a liked called [b]DeFacto[/b]. So after hearing about their first album [b]De-Loused In The Comatorium[/b] being such a great album, I remembered something. I remembered that I saw a Tower Records commercial once back in late 2003, and I remember hearing something about De-Loused in that commercial, like the word. So I was like "WOW" and checked it out finally. I thought this was probably the greatest album since Radiohead's [b]OK Computer[/b] . To my excitement later this year, I found a new album was being released soon. So I bought it once it came out. In my opinion, it wasn't near anything on Tremulant and De-Loused, but then again, it was a different sound. They went more raw and explored areas of music other rock bands didnt even think of. Such as salsa and latin types of music like the Cuban flavor that you can hear in The Widow. Another aspect of The Mars Volta that I love is the lyrics and stories behind each album. It's just non-stop images you get in your head when you listen to those lyrics. Lines like "Exoskeletal, junction at the railroad delayed" from Roulette Dares. You probably will think "what the hell?" at first, if you don't know the full story behind De-Loused. They also contain riddles like Frances had where some of the words had double meanings. So if you thought, "oh the story means this" and then you find out theres another spelling of the word or meaning. They're a wonderful little band that not many people know about, and they don't appreciate them enough in my opinion. I hope they continue creating their wonderful music, because I know I'll enjoy it immensley.

Radiohead.

I like how much they evolve. I like how they were almost one-hit wonders but proved themselves and I love how much they've grown musically (to get what I mean, listen to [i]Pablo Honey[/i] then listen to [i]Hail to the Thief[/i]).

Great band. They're making a new album, which won't be out for a while (in the early stages now), but I can't wait to hear it nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Favorite band? Oh man, that's a toughy...

I think I might have to say [b]Sonata Arctica[/b]. This is a truly great Symphonic Power Metal band, in the style of Stratovarius. Tony Kakko, the lead singer, has a great voice and can play the keyboards to boot. He did so on [i]Ecliptica,[/i] their first album, and on their third, [i]Winterheart's Guild,[/i] with the help of Jens Johansson of Stratovarius. The drummer, Tommy Portimo, is a machine. He can do the traditional Power Metal drumbeat at any speed and never slow down. Listen to "Wolf and Raven" for proof. Jani Liimatainen, the guitarist, is amazingly talented and can just bust out the solos like they were nothing. The lyrics are always awesome, usually about love, music, or wolves. On each of their four studio albums they will always have at least one song that is about or mentions wolves. On [i]Ecliptica[/i] it was "Fullmoon", on [i]Silence[/i] it was "Wolf and Raven", on [i]Winterheart's Guild[/i] it was "The Cage", and [i]Reckoning Night's[/i] was "Ain't Your Fairytale". It's kinda funny, but mostly awesome as that song usually turns out to be the best song on the album.

Oh yeah, and because I can't mention Sonata Arctica without mentioning this, Tony Kakko totally [URL=http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/sonataarctica/silence.html#2][u]keeps it real![/u][/URL]

[b]Recommended Listening:[/b] Any of the songs about wolves, "Kingdom for a Heart", "Picturing the Past", "Wildfire", "White Pearl, Black Oceans...", "Don't Say a Word", "Revontulet", "Weballergy", "Black Sheep", "Gravenimage", "Silver Tongue", and, one of my personal favorites, "Champagne Bath".[/FONT][/COLOR]

Sonata Arctica = \m/ (>.<) \m/

"Fullmoon" is my favorite! Run away, run away, run away! :laugh:

Out of the ones you listed, my faves are all the ones about wolves, Champagne Bath, and REVONTULET!

You know, Rhym, they're on tour with Nightwish and Stratovarius, and totally aren't coming to SLC. Curses!