OtakuBoards

Rule removal.

Guest userdan

Guest userdan
Well, i was rescentl ordered by a mod to remove one of my siggies, because the rules state that more than one sig is not allowed.
I find this stupid, just plain stupid.
I mean, wtf is this rule supposed to do?
I can understand the esence of a "No-Swearing" rule, or a "No-Spamming" rule, but "No-Double Siggies"!?
I think the admins were high when they wrote that, honestly....

Oh, and that rule about the siggys being 100X150 or someting, is also retarded.

[SIZE=1]Were to begin... ahh lets see here.

[B]1.[/B] I agree with the one banner in your siggy rule. By having more than one banner it akes you iggy look very bulky. It takes up space and its plain annoying. So thats my in put on that.

[B]2[/B]. Dont you ever make fun of our admins and mods like that. They are very hard working people. And for you to say something liek that is very disrespectful. James works very hard to keep this online community fun. So please dont make fun of them.

[B]3.[/B] And the size... What would be retarded is you having this ridculously long banner that is very hard to make out what it is because it is to streched out. No offence but the retard here is you.[/SIZE]

Guest userdan
Oh, yeah...And so is every forum admin in the internet, without the stupid anti-siggy rule...
I have NEVER seen a forum with such retarded rules before...And i've seem enough forums, trust me on that one, ok...?

[size=1]Well, as you have "seem enough forums" I'm surprised by the lack of quality through your post. I'm sorry if this offends you, but it surprises me that you make such a statement.

Anyways, on to the topic at hand. OB was once plagued by page long sigs, with 2+ images, and one letter on every other line. The admins, which I respect the decision, had decided to make a considerable lenth restriction, and limit the images to one per signature. This not only saves space in the thread, but also helps release the bulk that would plague OB if every person had 2+ images in their threads. Just think of the lag.

Also, you stated the image restrictions as 100X150. The true lenth is 500 pixels wide, by 100 pixels tall. This gives enough room to be creative, if not... get a message across. Avitars are 150X80. I'm not sure if you got some of those confused... but you might want to re-read the faq/rules to make sure.

Edit: Also, please show respect for out hard working mods and admins. They all work excessively to keep this place civil. Also, seeing as I speak with a large portion of them, this is this is a very cruel statement.
[/size]

Guest userdan
Oh, i don't mean THEY'RE retarded, i mean that RULE is retarded.
Also, my post quality is low, because i am using internet for quite a while, and have already figured out that your post quality doesn't matter, and whoever doesn't like the way you type..well...too bad.:P
Anyway, my original siggy is 450X150, which is about the universal siggy standart...Either that, or 350X150, just go to a site like game renders, and you'll see that almost every sig is this size.
Also, i find it extremely hard to make a sig 500X100...
A banner, yes.
A sig, No.

[QUOTE=userdan]Well, i was rescentl ordered by a mod to remove one of my siggies, because the rules state that more than one sig is not allowed.
I find this stupid, just plain stupid.
I mean, wtf is this rule supposed to do?
I can understand the esence of a "No-Swearing" rule, or a "No-Spamming" rule, but "No-Double Siggies"!?
I think the admins were high when they wrote that, honestly....

Oh, and that rule about the siggys being 100X150 or someting, is also retarded.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=userdan]Oh, yeah...And so is every forum admin in the internet, without the stupid anti-siggy rule...
I have NEVER seen a forum with such retarded rules before...And i've seem enough forums, trust me on that one, ok...?[/QUOTE]

I shudder to think what the forums you have seen are like. As so many of them are loaded with pages and pages of posting that are nothing more than signatures that take forever to load as they are nothing more than tons of huge pictures. A fact that is very distracting when you are interesting in reading the post and not seeing a particular users picture that takes up over half the page.

The point of this forum to me seems to be the actual discussion of topics rather than I can post a bigger signature than you can. Such rules actually improve the forum keeping distracting images from being a problem.

Instead of automatically assuming that a rule you disagree on means someone is stupid for making it, perhaps you should try to read the rules to understand exactly what they really are and be creative in making a new signature to fit the guidelines of this site. You might even surprise yourself by liking what you create.

Flaming the administration here just because you disagree with them by insisting they are retarded, stupid or high is quite rude and will only result in making you look like the retarded one here.

[COLOR=#F84E20][SIZE=1]I'm assuming that, by wanting to have two images in your signature, that you want to show off your art.

Make an art thread for yourself in the [B]Studio.[/B] Problem solved. Rules are here for a reason, if you don't like them, leave. And post quality does count, again, if you don't want to take the time and effort to make legible posts, leave and go to one of your other [I]many[/I] forums.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=userdan]Oh, i don't mean THEY'RE retarded, i mean that RULE is retarded.
Also, my post quality is low, because i am using internet for quite a while, and have already figured out that your post quality doesn't matter, and whoever doesn't like the way you type..well...too bad.:P
Anyway, my original siggy is 450X150, which is about the universal siggy standart...Either that, or 350X150, just go to a site like game renders, and you'll see that almost every sig is this size.
A banner, yes.
A sig, No.[/QUOTE]

First, post quality does matter if you're trying to get across a mature and well thought out point, or even just in general conversation. I personally don't want to spend time and effort trying to figure out what the hell you are saying when you couldn't even be bothered to spend time making it legible.

I can't believe that you are complaining this much over the size and quantity of a signature, they are not that important, some people on these boards don't even have them.

Also, how is a banner different from a sig? Surely they are exactly the same thing. I think its extremely easy to make a banner 500x100 I have made a great many of them.

I suggest that you stop rocking the boat with your childish tantrums and insults. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=userdan]Oh, i don't mean THEY'RE retarded, i mean that RULE is retarded.
A banner, yes.
A sig, No.[/QUOTE]

I agree with indifference that just because you do not like the current rule it doesn?t make it or the person who created it stupid.

I do not recall there ever being a ?universal? rule that states signatures have to be bigger or have more posted to be acceptable. Besides if it really is so difficult to make one at the correct size, it would be a good challenge to learn how to make one would it not?

Perhaps post quality does not matter to you but I assure you there are plenty of people who find poor posting a distinct annoyance. If we really wanted such poor posting quality then many of us would not be members here at OtakuBoards.

Also Imi?s suggestion of creating a thread in the Studio to show off the signatures you have made is a good way to share what you have created.

If the rules and posting quality required here really bother you that much then as you put it there are many forums out there.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I would bother to argue how userdan is wrong and how our current set-up is much more user and board friendly than other sites, but he's been banned so there's really no point.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']It's OK. He's been banned. But I think his custom title says it all...[/size][/quote]

[SIZE=1]That's all that can really be said.[/SIZE]

Well, I would hope this question would be answerable by common sense. A lot of forums have that one image rule and I think they should. I can't stand going to a forum where someone has three huge animated GIFs that cause even my cable connection to slow down and choke my broswer to death.

As it is, only the banners were 500x100 to begin with. How someone would think a pixel rule could somehow apply to text I have no idea.

No loss on this forums part, I can say that much :animeknow

[QUOTE=userdan]Oh, i don't mean THEY'RE retarded, i mean that RULE is retarded.
[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Post quality [i]does[/i] matter here, my friend.

Anyway, just to clarify (in case it hasn't already been done), we have image limits for two reasons. One, we want to ensure that banners on the site don't damage our site's dimensions (ie: a banner that's too large will push the site out of its borders). The side benefit of that is that everything looks neat, which is good.

Secondly - and most importantly - we don't want the site to become cluttered or to become incredibly slow for users. There are still a good many users on slower connections. I don't want to have to force them to turn off signatures (which means that they couldn't even view their own). By having the system we do, we can ensure that people still have great signatures, but everyone can see them without much trouble.

I absolutely dislike forums where people have signature banners that sit 500 pixels wide and 600 pixels high. It looks terrible, it looks messy and it takes a long time to load (especially if you have pages with a lot of replies). And then what if they had two or three of those images? And a few animations? That's just crazy. We don't want to allow that here.

So that's about it really. 500x100 is plenty of space and it should give you plenty of room to create an image that you like.

The overriding point is that signatures are just a peripheral thing for decoration - the most important thing at any forum is the discussion. If signature restrictions bug you too much here, you may simply find that this site isn't for you.

[b]Edit:[/b] Good job, whoever banned this guy. Nice and swift. ~_^

Anyway, I think that what I've said here should be a reasonable explanation for anyone else who is curious about our signature rules.[/font]

Guest not userdan
Wonder why ppl kept posting in here AFTER i got banned, adn AFTER someone said that i was...
Oh, and i did NOT say that the one who made the rules is retarded, i said that the rule itself is retarded, learn to read.

[COLOR=FireBrick][SIZE=1]'Cause this is what they do here, yeah? They discuss stuff regardless of whether the thread starter is here or not. If anything, it is proof enough that they are interested in discussing the complaint at hand, not the member that filed the complaint.

[u]My $0.02 on the signature rule:[/u]
Hah, you guys should try visiting MiniTokyo! They have a 480x60 size limit and you only get to use .gif. Talk about restricting. Forces us banner makers to be more creative with space, which is good training actually.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1]Oh, and [B]alert[/B']. He's trying that same trick as that other guy from a few months ago - he isn't actually banned, thats just his Custom Title.[/size][/quote][color=#6699cc]It's okay, he's been taken care of.[/color]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]Secondly - and most importantly - we don't want the site to become cluttered or to become incredibly slow for users. There are still a good many users on slower connections. I don't want to have to force them to turn off signatures (which means that they couldn't even view their own). By having the system we do, we can ensure that people still have great signatures, but everyone can see them without much trouble.

I absolutely dislike forums where people have signature banners that sit 500 pixels wide and 600 pixels high. It looks terrible, it looks messy and it takes a long time to load (especially if you have pages with a lot of replies). And then what if they had two or three of those images? And a few animations? That's just crazy. We don't want to allow that here.

So that's about it really. 500x100 is plenty of space and it should give you plenty of room to create an image that you like.[/font][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I can only agree with everything James has said here, as one of Otaku[B]Boards[/B]' members with a slower connection at about 28.8 Kbps, I can't convey how much I appreciate OBs rules on the size of images in signatures. When browsing other forums on the internet I often find myself cursing in frustration at the size and number of images in member signatures and how long it takes to load up any page with relating to a subject I might be exploring. As James said often signatures look a complete mess with no style to them, rather they seem to be just a collection of huge untidy images and text designed to irritate those with slow internet connections or some grasp of elegance and finesse.

I recall back before we implemented the first rule on avatar sizes people used to have avatars with dimensions larger than images in their signatures, I recall Sephiroth used to sport an image of the character at about 100x500. Nowadays I notice many members images in their signatures don't even use the full 500x100 available to them, instead electing to have their signatures smaller, neater and much more elegant looking. [/size]