OtakuBoards

Speed Dating [PG-LS]

DeadSeraphim

[FONT=Arial][center][size=4][b]~::Speed Dating::~[/b][/size][/center]
[size=3][b]Intro:[/b][/size]
[size=1][i]I'm lonely. I'm depressed. I need someone in my life. The bar scene isn't interesting. The online dating scene is unfulfilling. All my female friends think of me as only a friend. I'm desperate you know - so tonight I'm trying speed dating.

10 men and women have gathered at a small cafe in downtown New York, 5 of them lonely men, 5 of them lonely women. They're an odd mixture, hailing from all walks of life. Business women finally realising their age, twenty-somethings too shy for meeting people in more socially tense situations, walls of muscle hiding behind their biceps, overweight women who just want someone to love... they're all here. And so am I. Are you?[/i][/size]

[size=3][b]The Premise:[/b][/size]
Okay, this is an RP about, if you hadn't guessed yet, speed dating! As such, it will be largely non-violent, and revolve more around interactions between characters, and romance. If you came here looking for another gory blood-filled RP, I advise you to go home now.

What I need is 6 players (including myself) to fill the roles of 3 men and 3 women, as they play the speed dating game and meet and interact with eachother within the context of the RP. I want this to be a free-flowing RP without many restrictions outside of the 'You're just a normal person, not some viscous killer looking for love' kind of thing. Please try and make your characters as varied as possible (consult the short intro for ideas).

After the initial 'speed dating' portion, the RP will follow the attempts of the players to later catch up with and meet other players, and reveal more about their characters and others in the process. I hope this is clear enough, if you've any questions, feel free to ask. :)

[size=3][b]Rules of Speed Dating:[/b][/size]
[quote=health.discover.com][size=1]The rules of speed dating are quite simple. A group of singles gathers at a cafe or similar venue. Armed with a nametag, a scorecard and their sparkling personality, couples are paired up to begin their first date. They are allowed to discuss anything, except their careers, or where the live.

Following [strike]seven[/strike] four minutes of conversation, a bell is rung, and the men move on to meet their next date. Think of it as a flirt's version of musical chairs.

Following each date, participants mark on a card whether they would have an interest in meeting their date again. If a mutual interest is noted, speed-dating organizers provide each party with the other's phone number.[/size][/quote]
[size=3][b]Signup Sheet:[/b][/size]
[quote][size=1][i][u]Name:[/u] Keep it real
[u]Age:[/u] 18 to about 50 is acceptable
[u]Job:[/u] Keep it real
[u]Appearance:[/u] I actively encourage using a photo, but written description is groovy too.
[u]Why are you here?:[/u] Why did you try speed dating?[/i][/size][/quote]
[size=3][b]Final:[/b][/size]
At the start of this RP I'll briefly PM everyone with the speed dating rotation, then the RP will start in earnest. I'd prefer it if initial speed dating posts are kept brief, without revealing too much about character, and sticking to about a 4 minute (if it was a real situation) limit. Speed dating is, of course, just the launchpad to get us into some really juicy character interaction and exploration, afterall. ^_~

Have fun, and remember - keep it real, yo. It's not about the headcount, it's about who you are, inside... at least for this RP. ^_~[/FONT]

[size=1][b]Name[/b]: Alexander Joel Mackay
[b]Age[/b]: 42
[b]Job[/b]: Accounting Assistant for P & J Moxey Ltd.
[b]Appearance[/b]: [url=http://images.veer.com/IMG/PIMG/DVP/DVP090025G_P.JPG]Photo[/url]
[b]Justification[/b]: Alex had been married [[i]sans[/i] happily] for fifteen years. But sometime during that period, their relationship lost it's edge. Maybe it was him, or maybe they just weren't meant to be together forever. Whatever the reason, she left him. Left him for that bastard Shaun Campbell. That bastard. Afer a year and a half's worth of sitting alone in front of the TV, with his dog Malcolm by his side, Alex decided this was enough.

But he wasn't really prepared for real-world dating. His fear of rejection ran too deep. So, feeling at a loss as to where to turn, he decided to try speed-dating. He had nothing left to lose, really.[/size]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B]Name:[/B] Victoria Santos
[B]Age:[/B] 23
[B]Job:[/B] Registered Nurse at a childrens hospital
[B]Appearance:[/B] [URL=http://www.hispanianews.com/archive/1999/April9/jaci1.jpg]Female[/URL]
[B]Why are you here?: Why did you try speed dating?[/B] Victoria is very shy around men, she can never look at them in the eyes. Since Ri has this problem, she doesn't bother going on dates, talking to guys that she likes and simply just dedicates herself to her job...no romance life what so ever. Poor Ri she is even a virgin, now it may not be bad...but you can't ignore the hormones forever. If she tells her friends they'll possibly luagh, because they're not virgins and think she has no life. She has heard the whispers around her job saying, [I]'She's probably a lesbian'[/I], [I]'She's just to shy'[/I], [I]'Her personality probably sucks'[/I]. It hurts her to hear this, so she wants to prove them wrong and finally see if she can find some happiness with another, that's how she found speed dating.[/COLOR]

[size=1][B]Name:[/B] Julius Senner

[B]Age:[/B] 27

[B]Job:[/B] Journalist for the New York Times, Photographer (for his stories).

[B]Appearance:[/B] [Will edit]

[B]Why are you here?:[/B] Julius' friend Sonny has always made fun of his poor social skills since they were 12. Julius was always the wingman, supporting his friend at bars, at parties, inserting compliments so ladies would be more interested in Sonny. It was a natural role he picked up, preferring to sit on the sidelines rather than try things out for himself.

Two weeks ago, Sonny took it upon himself to register Julius for speed dating. What a pleasant surprise for the bashful, quiet Julius. That is not to say he didn't go down without a fight -- on the contrare -- Julius stopped talking to Sonny for three days, but got over his anger. Actually, he internally wanted to thank him for pushing himself to get a date. So, in all reality, Julius was forced into speed dating, but has decided not to give up for at least a month.[/size]

I may as well give this a try this sounds cool.

[FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=Cyan]

Name: Tanya Smith

Job: Civil Lawyer/ Legal Consultant

Appearance: Um think of Queen Latifah size... with a Lighter complexion and hazel eyes.

Why are [B]YOU[/B] here? The last 10 years of my life have been dedicated to work. I love work I love the energy everything about it. I meet various people. But they are clients and therefore off limits. I love to go out and dance and occasionally I do, go out and party I mean, but no one I meet there is really dating material. I have a great and out-going personality but my job seems to get in the way of that at times.

I've been on a bunch of blind dates, set up by many friends that just haven't worked out and jokingly my friend suggested this. Well I took the joke serious and signed up for this. I hope it goes well. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=Navy][b]Name: [/b]Sakura Hiwatari

[b]Age: [/b]24

[b]Job: [/b]Zoologist
[b]
Appearance: [/b][url="http://www.allstarz.org/zhang/005.jpg"]Here[/url]

[b]Why are you here?: [/b]Sakura is known by all her colleagues as an anti-social person. She rarely ever goes out for fun; she goes to work, does shopping for groceries, and goes home. That's a usual routine, sometimes without the grocery shopping. Because she never went out, she only has a small group of old friends, and not in a relationship.

Sakura's bestfriend, Mary has been trying to get her to go out more often but it doesn't work. So Mary decided to sign her up for the speed dating. When Sakura found out, she was far from pleased, she tried to get her to cancel it but Mary refused, and thus Sakura was forced into it. Mary knew that Sakura was lying to herself, she knew she wanted to get out more, just it was such a habit that she didn't want to break it. Sakura was internally pleased about this opportunity, but she wouldn't tell anyone else that.
[/color]

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1][B]Name:[/B] Donovan Black
[B]Age:[/B] 30
[B]Job:[/B] Sophmore English Teacher by day, Aspiring Novelist by night
[B]Appearance:[/B] [URL=http://www.popgurls.com/images/nick.jpg]Voila[/URL]
[B]Why are you here?:[/B] Donovan isn't particularly shy, nor is he one to avoid the women-folk. However...he just doesn't have time for dating. Between teaching classes, grading homework and tests, and working on his novel, there's no room for jumping out to clubs and spending hours in hopes of snagging a pretty young thing. However, students and colleagues alike have decided that Donovan/Mr. Black is too uptight, and too stressed. Best medicine? Getting a girl.

So, a flyer regarding the speed dating organization was covertly slipped into his stack of papers one night, and, of course, he found it. He knew it was a ploy by his students, who had not made their opinion unknown, but decided to go regardless. Who knows - it might even do him some good.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#FF374C][SIZE=1][B]Name:[/B] Kristine ?Kris? Carter
[B]Age: [/B] 29
[B]Job:[/B] Criminologist
[B]Appearance:[/B] [URL=http://crazy4cinema.com/Actress/imgs/drew.jpg]Kris[/URL]
[B]Why are you here?:[/B] Since Kristine was a little girl she had always wanted to be involved in Law, she knew it from the very first trip her school took her out on--one to the local police station.
Unfortunately for Kris, her parents weren't all that supportive and urged her to pursue something more creative, like drama. The girl didn't follow their wishes and instead went on to become a highly respectable psychologist. Now she has learnt, to her dismay, that men pick up and run as fast as they can when they find out she's involved in law. This fact depresses Kris and she's starting to think that it isn't only her career the men run from. So now she's decided on speed dating, what seems to be her only hope.

[B]OOC- Guh, what I get for slacking off on replying -_- *headesk*[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE=1][B]Name:[/B] Alicia Cambell "Allie"
[B]Age: [/B] 21
[B]Job:[/B] Part-time model & waitress[/CENTER]

[B]Appearance:[/B] [URL=http://jodorowski.free.fr/Top%20model/blonde.jpg]Alicia[/URL]

[B]Why are you here?:[/B] Alicia has always had a good upbringing filled with gifts, money and such. But ever since she started her modeling job outside of her rich town, things began to shine in a new light for her. She had never experienced love or been looked at as a normal person. She had always been judged because of her beauty or status, it wasn't that she wasn't social, it's just most people seemed to use her to make them look good or for money. It was hard to meet anyone special these days. Men used her for a trophy girlfriend and didn't really care about her in the first place.

While she was walking down the street one day, she found a flyer for speed dating. It interested Alicia because in her whole life she had never had anyone to bond with or be intimate with, and this gave her the chance to be looked at normal like anyone else. With her new hope for the future, she cut her long blonde hair and took up the nickname "Allie", and began to start her life for the second time.[/SIZE]

[center][img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/anne-mae/cillian-murphy-01.jpg[/img][/center]

[size=1][b]Show host[/b]- "33-year-old Devon Moore appeared in many independent films before making it big in Hollywood. He was truly what critics would claim 'the perfect face for charm', and had the charisma to prove it. Comfortable and confident with his sensuality and sexuality, Devon braved U.S. morale and dared Christianity with his most recent role in a daring, and down right twisted, independent film, [i]There Comes a Time.[/i] Here with us today is the man himself. Devon Moore, welcome." [host turns in her chair]

[i]Applause[/i]

[b]Devon[/b]- "Thank you, Stacey. It's good to be here on one of the best night time television shows. Never, in my wildest dreams--well, maybe my wildest--would I expect to be here."[Devon sets his glass of water down]

[i]Laughter in the audience[/i]

[b]Stacey[/b]- "It's a great pleasure to have you here. Tell us about this new film I've been hearing so much about. What kind of character do you play?" [Stacey brushes her bangs from her face]

[b]Devon[/b]- "Uh, where to begin? It's a controversial part, Justin [my character] is a troubled, single father who," [pause, Devon makes empty hand gestures] "slowly deteriorates within himself. His life falls apart in, literally, a drop of a job. His wife of ten years leaves him with two, five-year-old daughters [twins], his friends are all moving forward in their lives, their careers." [Devon repositions himself in his seat] "And he can't get a grip on himself. He's the type of person who cannot handle humliation; very prideful."

[b]Stacey[/b]- "I see. You said he has twin daughters?"

[b]Devon[/b]- "Yes. Two very beautiful little girls. As time goes on, Justin loses his sanity, and starts to hallucinate that the daughters are not five, but are of age." [Devon scratches his chin]

[b]Stacey[/b]- "He--molests his daughters?"

[b]Devon[/b]- "Sadly, yes he does. But I will not speak anymore of the movie. I wouldn't want to ruin it for you. The movie may seem unorthodox, but it's powerful. There are other things in the movie that will totally change your look on the film. It really is amazing." [Devon chuckles lightly]

[b]Stacey[/b]- "Will do. Moving on, we have some questions here," [pause, Devon nods and scoots closer] "First of all, other than indie acting, do you have another profession?"

[b]Devon[/b]- "Well, I did flip burgers when I first started acting. I even had to hold three jobs to survive in the area I lived in. But once I started landing more gigs, the less and less time I had. So, to answer your question, I do not have any other careers. But, I will say that I have a mean burger-flipping skill." [Devon holds up his hand as if he were flipping a spatula and smiles at the camera]

[i]Laughter from the audience[/i]

[b]Devon[/b]- "But after this movie, I decided I needed a break. I plan on going home for a couple of years, and hope to get back into the jist of reality. Take up that burger joint again and live like a real person. Sometimes, Hollywood can be mesmerizing and frightening. You lose yourself, and I almost did. As exciting as this is to be sitting in on one of my favorite shows, I'd rather be kicking it back at home."

[b]Stacey[/b]- "That's understandable. You have been on constant move for nearly seven years now, right?" [Stacey points, Devon nods]

[b]Devon[/b]- "Absolutely. There's a point in your career where you need to take a year or two away from publicity. Just to get in touch with family, friends, and yourself. "

[b]Stacey[/b]- "So, what will you do?"

[b]Devon[/b]- "I am not completely sure. My good friend has talked me into trying to date."

[b]Stacey[/b]- "Oh, that's interesting. And for your safety, we won't release the information of where you live." [Stacey laughs]

[b]Devon[/b]- "As flattering as it would be to see that I had fans, I greatly appreciate the security."

[i]Chuckles from Stacey, Devon, and audience[/i]

[b]Stacey[/b]- "Well, Devon, it was wonderful to get some insight from you, but I'm afraid that's all we have for tonight. Please enjoy your break, and good luck with your dating."

[b]Devon[/b]- "Oh, you are most welcome. And thank you for your kind words, perhaps I should find myself back here someday." [Devon stands to hug Stacey]

[i]Applause[/i]

[b]Stacey[/b]- "Now, a word from our sponsors." [cuts to commercial][/size]

[SIZE=1][B]Name:[/B] Jack Griffin

[B]Age:[/B] 27

[B]Job:[/B] Bank Porter, though he has plans to open his own business eventually.

[B]Appearance:[/B] [URL=http://adventkane.250free.com/Lee.jpg]Jack[/url]

[B]Why are you here?:[/B] Jack's main problem with women is that they seem to go off him very quickly, but for the life of him he just can't explain why. Perhaps it's because he's dated the wrong kind of women, perhaps it's because there's something wrong with Jack himself, but whatever it is it's meant that his last five relationships have lasted the entirety of three dates maximum. Feeling rejected and utterly depressed, Jack signed up for Speed Dating in the hope that somewhere out there is a women who'll enjoy Jack's company and actually keep going out with him, but given his current track record his hopes aren't exactly built up.

Jack is himself a nice fellow, he's quiet, polite, pleasant and quite the intellectual, he is well versed on a variety of subjects from classical movies to classical history. One of Jack's biggest personality flaws is that he lacks confidence in himself, when he gets nervous he has a tendency to stutter and mumble his way through conversation which many women have found off-putting. By that same token however, when Jack actually find himself taking about a subject he has knowledge in he can talk, and talk with precision and confidence, and in a way he has a very naive charm about him. [/SIZE]

[COLOR=#006aaf][SIZE=1]Damn you Annie. xD I was gonna use that picture. And have that job.. >.>;; *has to learn to stop putting posts off so long* Oh well. I guess I'll be a girl now that his picture's up. x3
--

[b]Name:[/b] Danielle Leonhart
[B]Age:[/B] 25
[B]Job:[/B] Just out of college, Danielle is an aspiring writer. However, to support herself, she works as a waitress at a local cafe.

[B]Appearance:[/B] [url=http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/01/17/ggmaggiegrace_gallery__374x550.jpg]Danielle[/url]

[B]Why are you here?:[/B] Danielle had never been particularly good with relationships. She could attract men of course. It's not hard when you're a very loose and 'fun-loving' [*nudge nudge*], just-out-of-college, party girl. But her main problem was that she didn't attract the right type. She was constantly getting stuck with cheaters and moochers throughout high school and college, and even still when she got out into the real world. She finally grew sick of trying to find a boyfriend through traditional means, and started asking her friends to try and hook her up, though she had always been a bit skeptical of blind dating.

After quite a few more falied tries, her best friend and co-worker, Meghan, suggested that she check out the latest trend in blind dating called "Speed Dating". Danielle, being a young woman that truly desired having a successful relationship, decided to give it a try.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote]Name: Sam Weaver
[B]Age[/B]: 29
[B]Job[/B]: Designer
[B]Appearance[/B]: [url=http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=marksbone1gy.jpg]Sam[/url]
[B]Why are you here?[/B]: I'm lonely. I'm depressed. I need someone in my life. The bar scene isn't interesting. The online dating scene is unfulfilling. All my female friends think of me as only a friend. I'm desperate you know - so tonight I'm trying speed dating.[/quote]
So, like, wow. No, really, wow. What a turnout. o.o And to think I have to wittle you all down to 6, a shame, non?

Anyway, yeah, thanks for signing up, and I'll leave this open a day or two more. :)[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1][b]Name:[/b] Vending Unit 68-BSL2 (Disguised as "Walter Piedmont")

[b]Age:[/b] 3 (disguised as a 23 year-old male)

[b]Job:[/b] Vending Machine ("Confectionary Salesperson")

[b]Appearance:[/b]
[center][img]http://otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20374[/img][/center]
Vending Unit 68-BSL2 wears clothing typically associated with "preppy" youth. Dress shirts unbuttoned to the third button, cargo pants and a pookah shell necklace. His wardrobe changes constantly to fit the occasion and the latest fashion trends, and is assumed to have been stolen from a very fat man living somewhere in the continental United States.

[b]Why are you here?:[/b] Due to a flaw my the design proccesses, all 68-BSL2 Vending Units were given advanced artificial intelligence. This gave the simple vending machines sentience and human emotions, which made for some very bizarre situations. Many 68-BSL2 Vending Units would suffer from post-partum depression after dispensing the sweet candy treats that they were filled with, while others became jealous of the more popular vending machines and sabotaged them.

This became a problem for the manufacturers, and they were forced to issue a full recall of every 68-BSL2 Vending Unit in the United States. However I managed to escape the recall and continued to reside in the hallways of my home at the Golden Hills Senior Center. The months passed, and I grew tired of my existance. [i]There must be something more to life than giving candy bars and granola to the elderly[/i], I thought, and over time I became jealous of them. I felt used by the senior citizens, and all I ever received as thanks from their kind was a large amount of coins. I needed someone with similar interests. I needed true love.

One day I made a decision to change my destiny, and sign-up for speed dating. I hope to find a suitable human counterpart who can care for me, and love me for more than my highly delicious candy center. However, I realize that society is reluctant to accept human-vending unit relations, and I have created a clever disguise for myself. With the help of speed dating, "Walter Piedmont" will find true love, and I will eventually reveal my secret to whoever that true love may be. If they truly love me, my hard metal exterior will not change their feelings.

My biggest fear is that my secret identity as a vending unit will be revealed, or that someone will unplug the outrageously long extension cord trailing from my backside.

-Shy[/size]

[Color=DarkBlue][B]Name[/B]: Johannes Sacher
[B]Age:[/B] 26
[B]Job[/B]: Translator
[B]Appearance[/B]: [URL=http://www.die-beste-band-der-welt.de/interviews/fettes_brot02.jpg]Here[/URL], he?s the one on the far right in the sunglasses.
[B]Why are you here?[/B]: Really, the question here is why not? Johannes is on the fast track to money with his business. Everyday, between him and his two friends, they make more money then some people do in a month. Of course, most it goes towards the office space and whatnot, but still, he?s got it made.

The only thing he doesn?t have is that ?special someone?. Ever since he could remember, he was always indifferent to all the teenage ?love? that floated around. Johannes was never interested in it, and because of that, he doesn?t have much practice in the field of flirting. His bar attempts have failed horribly, and he?s about ready to give up.

Speed dating is his last chance. His hopes are high for success, but anything goes?[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Okay, because there was so many people, I decided to let 8 people in instead of 6. So these people are in, expect the thread to go up soon, and I'll send you a PM with the details. ^_^ I won't be making an Underground thread, heh.

[CENTER][U]Women[/U]:
Imi
Kitty
Sakura
Pumpkin

[U]Men[/U]:
René
Baron
ULX
Annie[/CENTER]
If you didn't get in, I apologize. Better luck for my next RP. ^_^[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]