OtakuBoards

How do you pronounce your username?

DBZgirl88

[COLOR=#004a6f]This may be a pointless and potentially spammy thread (and if it turns out to be just close it mods), but I thought it be nice for members with strange and interesting usernames to let others know the proper pronounciation.

For instance, there's plenty of members who have names that can be pronounced differently depending on wether their name is japanese or not.

Anyway, my username is actually a french word. So it is pronounced "sha-bee-shoo". I bet half of the members here have been thinking the whole time that it's "cha-bee-choo".[/COLOR]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kuroinuyoukai
:catgirl: Hey! My name is Japanese. Kuro is pronounced "cuelow"(Japanese pronounce r's like l's),Inu(like Inu in Inuyasha)Youkai is pronounced"yohkae". I know kuroinu is "black dog" and i am not really sure what youkai is yet! Hope nothing bad. :animenose

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Well given my current username, which incidentally is my actual first name one would expect most people to be able to pronounce it without any great difficulty. It has instead been my experience to be called "Ga-ven" and "Ga-veen" as opposed to just "Gavin", though even getting close to my actually name should be commendable, given the other names beginning with G I'm often called, and even some names that sound like Gavin, such as Kevin. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']I bet half of the members here have been thinking the whole time that it's "cha-bee-choo".[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Well I must admit I always thought it would be pronounced "cha-bee-chow", given it's similarity to the Italian word for goodbye. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Youkai, as far as I know, is the Japanese for monster...or something of the like.

Despite my name being simple, a few people I know have thought it was pronounced like "Ee-mee", whereas it isn't nearly as long, and is merely "Immy".

Actually, there's a little history behind my username and why it's spelt the way it is. It probably should be said differently, but originally, "Immy" was my nickname. I told my art teacher for a manga class and he spelt it as "Imi" instead. Therefore we have the same pronounciation but very different spelling.

^_^;;

Don't think many people will care about the second bit, but it made my post look longer.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Well, I frankly don't know what the correct pronunciation of Samedi is, but, really, you should all refer to me in the same manner I refer to me. Hence, I'll accept 'Sam-ee-dee', and only that.

I too always thoughts you were "Cha-bi-chow" [short 'i' sound]. It just...looks like it should be that, lol. Funnily enough.[/size]

[font=Century Gothic][color=Red][size=3]Well, my username derives it's origin from a character in Evangelion, and it's pronounced Shin-gee.

It's like your hurting [b]shin[/b], and then saying oh, [b]gee!

[/b]Chabi, I always thought your name was islamic, or japanese lol. I also thought you pronounced it Chab-i-Chow. :p
[/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='kuroinuyoukai']:catgirl: Hey! My name is Japanese. Kuro is pronounced "cuelow"(Japanese pronounce r's like l's),Inu(like Inu in Inuyasha)Youkai is pronounced"yohkae". I know kuroinu is "black dog" and i am not really sure what youkai is yet! Hope nothing bad. :animenose[/quote]

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]Youkai means, essentially, demon. So you're a black dog demon. And the R in Japanese is more a hybrid of L and R - they don't really have either, it's just usually romanized (converted to the "abc" alphabet) as an R, as it sounds more like one than an L. Yay for being a Japanese student~! Koo-roh ee-noo yoh-kai

As for my name, well, it's rather easy, except the last bit, which is "Shee-on" and not "Zee-on" or "Zai-on," as some may think. I'd hope everyone knows how to pronounce Unborn and Lord[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']Well, I frankly don't know what the correct pronunciation of Samedi is, but, really, you should all refer to me in the same manner I refer to me. Hence, I'll accept 'Sam-ee-dee', and only that.[/size][/quote]
Haha, for some reason I always pronounced it as Sah-meh-dee. Maybe I'll keep on doing that... you know, just to be contrary. :p

I've always had a really hard time with "Desbreko." It shouldn't be a difficult name, but my eyes keep wanting to read it as "Debresko." I'm sure I've typed it that way in a couple of threads, too.

[quote name='Imi][SIZE=1']Despite my name being simple, a few people I know have thought it was pronounced like "Ee-mee", whereas it isn't nearly as long, and is merely "Immy".[/SIZE][/quote]
Interesting. I thought it was pronounced the first way as well, since to me it looked as if you were referencing the Japanese word "imi." Whoops.

EDIT: ULX, I'm one of those people who always figured it was "Zai-on." Wow, this thread is turning out to be quite informative.

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1]Heh chabichou, I always pronounced your name as cha-bee-choo, its nice to have that cleared up ^_~. I also thought that Xion was Zi-on too heh.

Well my name is Japanese for 'clown', the way I pronounce it, however, is probably not how one would in Japanese.

I pronounce my name as [I][B]Doh-kesh-ee [/B] [/I] with the emphasis being placed on the[I] [B]Doh[/B][/I], rather than as some people may pronounce it being in the [I][B]Kesh[/B].[/I][/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I think I'm the only one who pronounced Chabichou correctly... go me! Guess its because I'm second-nature French, and when the English pronounciation sounds a bit... off, I just try French.

My name is fairly simple... Pronounced La-Flur, as in The Flower. Chosen because hockey star Guy Lafleur is my favourite player, and I felt Ilium (Ill-ee-um btw) was getting tired and old. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dagger]Wow, this thread is turning out to be quite informative.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]I'm in definite agreement with you Dagger, so far I've found out that I've been pronouncing the names of four out the ten people here incorrectly, which makes me feel like a bit of an amadáin given I know two of those people who's names I've been getting wrong very well. [/SIZE]

Depending on my mood, I mentally pronounce my screenname as Loar (rhymes with soar) or Lor-eh (sounds like "Laura" but with a shorter "au" sound.)

Lore as in folklore, or Lore as in Hannelore. To give you an idea of context. ;)

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][COLOR=DarkOrchid][QUOTE=Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f]
Anyway, my username is actually a french word. So it is pronounced "sha-bee-shoo". I bet half of the members here have been thinking the whole time that it's "cha-bee-choo".[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I don't even know how I was pronouncing your name. I think it varied from day to day.

Well anyhoo, My sn is easy to pronounce. All you have to do is break it down and sound it out:

See-less-tea-al charm :animesmil [/COLOR]

But, I kinda slur it together for some reason. :animeswea So I make it sound more like Seless-tial Charm.[/COLOR]

[size=1]Heh, I think it might be difficult for people to mispronounce my name, but I suppose I'll be surprised.
"Kor-ee".
It's the name I was born into. My dad wanted to name me Otto. I can't quite tell, even to this day, if he's kidding or not.[/size]

[SIZE=1]This has been more amusing than what I initially thought.

[quote name='Chabichou][COLOR=#004a6f']Anyway, my username is actually a french word. So it is pronounced "sha-bee-shoo". I bet half of the members here have been thinking the whole time that it's "cha-bee-choo".[/COLOR][/quote]

So I was way off, huh? ^^ Gee, I must say I wouldn't have guessed it was French, even though I am student of French. What's the meaning by the way?
I've always known you to be "Chah-bi-cho".

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']Well, I frankly don't know what the correct pronunciation of Samedi is, but, really, you should all refer to me in the same manner I refer to me. Hence, I'll accept 'Sam-ee-dee', and only that.[/size][/quote]

LOL! Well, I'd thought someone with 'Samedi' as a part of their username would surely half-know how to pronounce it! XD I'm pretty certain it's "Sawm-dee" with a slight vowel pronunciation between the 'm' and the 'd'. However, I say it simply as "Sawm-dee".

[quote name='Unborn Lord Xion][COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]As for my name, well, it's rather easy, except the last bit, which is "Shee-on" and not "Zee-on" or "Zai-on," as some may think. I'd hope everyone knows how to pronounce Unborn and Lord[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

Didn't see that comin'. ^^ I simply thougth it was "Zai-on" and nothing more.

[quote name='Dagger']I've always had a really hard time with "Desbreko." It shouldn't be a difficult name, but my eyes keep wanting to read it as "Debresko." I'm sure I've typed it that way in a couple of threads, too.[/quote]

You've got to be kidding me...

You're saying that all this time here I've been seeing "Debresko" when I could swear I've never even seen "Desbreko" before?!? Talk about dyslexic moments. ^^;

[quote name='Doukeshi][SIZE=1]I pronounce my name as [I][B]Doh-kesh-ee [/B] [/I] with the emphasis being placed on the[I] [B]Doh[/B][/I], rather than as some people may pronounce it being in the [I][B]Kesh[/B].[/I'][/SIZE][/quote]

I love the word for clown in any language. ^_^ Doukeshi to me is "Dow-KESH-shee" with stress on the kesh as you said.

[quote name='Lore']Lore as in folklore, or Lore as in Hannelore. To give you an idea of context. ;)[/quote]

I pronounce it as in Hannelore I believe, if that's without the lingering "ore" sound.

Now, I say that I pronounced at some point AzureWolf with ?Azoor? instead of ?Azher? without shame as I?d never actually heard it said aloud before until a certain episode of .hack//SIGN two years ago.[/SIZE]

Hmmm, well this is a hard one. Lets see, the first part, '[B]Out'[/B], is pronounced like [I]abOUT[/I] or [I]trOUT[/I], or the wildly popular [I]gOUT[/I], which causes sudden, severe attacks of pain and tenderness, redness, warmth, and swelling in some joints. Usually affects one joint at a time -- often the big toe.

Now, its the second part that people usually have trouble with. You see, it may be spelled [B]'law',[/B] which may people would pronounce like the rule or system of rules recognized by a country or community as regulating the actions of its members and enforced by the imposition of penalties. But it is actually pronounced [B]'Spaghettios'[/B]

And if you didn't find that funny, than I am truely sorry for your faulty sence of humor.

[color=DarkSlateBlue][font=Trebuchet MS][quote name='Unborn Lord Shee-on][/font][/color][color=SlateGray][size=1]Youkai means, essentially, demon.[/size][/color][color=DarkSlateBlue'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] Although the Japanese word has none of the negative connotations of the English. Youkai are not inherently evil, they vary by nature as do humans. (Look who's been reading [b]Saiyuki [/b]again...)

Raiyuu [i](Ra - ee - yuuh)
[/i]Japanese-style 'R/L' sound as explained by Unborn Lord Shee-on, and then the double 'U' is halfway between an 'uh' sound and an 'ooh' sound. If you watch [b]Love Hina[/b] in Japanese, listen to how Kitsune pronounces the 'U' sound at the end of 'Naru'. That's about right.

It stemmed from my mispronounciation of the Japanese name 'Ryu', and I changed the spelling to make it look cooler ... it's also the name of one of the characters in [url="http://rapture.thesubverse.com"]one of my webcomics[/url].
[/font][/color]

[SIZE=1][QUOTE=WhiteBlaze][SIZE=1]I love the word for clown in any language. ^_^ Doukeshi to me is "Dow-KESH-shee" with stress on the kesh as you said.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Thats how I said I[B][I] don't[/I][/B] want it pronounced lol. I place emphasis on the beginning of the word, on the [B]Doh[/B] ^_~. If you say it fast enough, you miss out the [I]'e' [/I] all together, sort of like [B]Doukshi[/B][/SIZE]

[size=1]Most of the time I'm not even prenouncing names I see so it's kind of hard to imagine if I would've prenounced them right >.>

I think [b]Samedi[/b] is just prenounced as in France. Something around [i]"Sam-Uh-Dee"[/i] with the "Uh" a tad short.

Now, my name is really hard to prenounce. It's not [i]Buu[/i] as in Dragonball. Nor is it [i]Boo![/i] as in "Har har, be frightened little flower girl". In fact it's prenounced as.... How should I know? Go figure out >.<[/size]

Isn't this thread a tad controversial? I mean, people here are giving advice on how to pronounce their usernames, when in fact nobody will probably ever say them aloud - not even the carrier of the name. :P

Okay, I have to admit that I've said my former username, Sage, aloud a couple of times to my boyfriend, but that's it.

Heh, I'm not even going to go into how you pronounce "Sandy", because it's pretty much given. ;D [SIZE=1]Although if somebody would say it something like "Sahn-day", I'd probably laugh my *** off. :P[/SIZE]

Whoa. There's a lot of people here whose names I've been pronouncing wrong. Unborn Lord Xion in particular--I can never figure out how to pronounce words that begin with the letter 'x'. :animeswea

Anyway, on to the task at hand. My name shouldn't be hard to pronounce--it rhymes with 'dark' and 'mark'. If you can't figure it out...so sad.

The reasons behind the name 'Stark' is a little tricky if you're not familiar with really good sci-fi shows, especially within the past few years.

Bluntly, I pulled a classic ploy and named myself after a character from a now cancelled sci-fi series. Also, I just happen to like the phrase 'stark raving mad'.

My confession: I watch a little too much Farscape. :animeblus

If itvcan be of any interest, proper French pronounciation requires the middle "e" not to be pronounced at all. The first vowel is usually similar to the vowel in "bat", not the one in "shawl".

My username should be properly pronounced as in French, that is "seer-say-uss",with that "u" being as in French. I don't mind if it ends up garbled by foreign speakers, though :D