OtakuBoards

Which series grabbed you from the start?

Nekova

[color=#9933ff]InuYasha.

To be fair I fist got into this anime in the manga version thanks to a friend of mine- my friends always lead me astray I'm telling you!- and it was just such a mix of funny and drama and romance I loved it.

It took me a while to actually understand Kikyo because like most fans who ship one certain pairing they tend to place some extreme loathing on the competition and since Kikyo was also constantly [spoiler]trying to kill either InuYasha or Kagome or both at the same time and had helped Naraku obtain some jewel shards[/spoiler] I couldn't help but hate her at first . However after finally seeing Tragic Love Song of Destiny I decided that Kikyo wasn't such a bad person. I mean it's not like she wanted to be reincarnated.

I'm still watching the show and a few months ago I got one of my friends into it as one of her first anime- after Full Metal Alchemist of course[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Tahoma"]Well since the draw initially was a Lucky Star Caramelldansen video followed up by watching the actual series, I'd say it was the one that grabbed me from the start. :catgirl: There have been others that I've also liked immediately, like Lovely Complex and Case Closed. I'm sure I'll run into others as well since I haven't seen a whole lot of anime just yet. [/FONT]

Oh my, there are quite a few anime that have been gripping from the very start and soon after started a fan obsession with the series. For the sake of keeping the post relatively short, I'll only list a few important ones.

[B]Pokémon[/B] was definitely my first. It was a very appealing series for a 10 year old kid, and even now I still really love and appreciate the innocence of those first few seasons.

After that, I would say [B]InuYasha[/B] was one that, from the airing of the first episode on Adult Swim in 2002, I didn't stand a chance. It was my first real soiree into the world of anime, so it of course filled my virgin eyes with wonder. Plus, the first two seasons were and still are excellent.

Next, I would have to go for the obvious and list [b].hack[/b]. There was the original airing of SIGN way back when that got me interested in the franchise as a whole and sparked an obsession with it, even though I had only seen one episode and would not proceed to finish the series until at least a year later.
There is also a very specific experience with [B].hack//Roots[/B] that got me going. I remember being so excited to watch the first episode, that when I finally did manage to make it through the first three minutes of it before getting cut off due to mother needing the computer, I immediately went and pre-ordered the soundtrack and hopped around the house like a bunny rabbit. All thanks to the one song that played in those first three minutes, [i]dwindled bible[/i]. I don't think I could come up with a better example of an anime gripping you from the very start.

Guest Crimson Spider
Gundam Wing. I watched the first three episodes in one big swoop, and I was hooked ever since. Especially when they started airing the show uncut at midnight. That was pure anime goodness.

The first anime I ever distinguished as an Anime was Ranma 1/2. My brother bought a game called Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle, and we really liked the game. We were alking in a videostore, and saw the characters on the cover of a video on a shelf. We immediately rented the tape.

After seeing 4 episodes, we were hooked. The show had things that our current shows didn't. Things like character development, continuity, action AND comedy, and an animation style that was pleasing to the eyes. All of my siblings loved the show just as much as I did.

Though after getting the series in full, we soon learned that we were seeing the best episodes, but the show is still pretty good. Due to a bunch of defective disks, I can't watch the entire season in one go. But I am most of the way through it.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann- Could make a true man cry tears of happiness. ;D

Mononoke: Medicine Seller: Not the movie mind you. Definitely worth watching. The animation is unique and outstanding. The artistic qualities in the plot and art drew me into a foreign, dark world. The stories are different from the usual anime you see since they are very abstract and folklore.

Sailor Moon- I was a little girl. Sparkles and Prettiness were of course my obsessions.

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Fixedsys"][COLOR="Magenta"]full metal alchemist,
caught me from the start.
i couldnt imagine watching an anime thats
in the first place scared me..lol :animesmil
but i had this principle in mind as well as
my other classmates (also anime fans)
that" if we watch an anime and its first episode
we should watch it till the end no matter what"
i had finished fma as well as its ova..;)
[/COLOR][/FONT]