OtakuBoards

Which series grabbed you from the start?

Nekova

[COLOR=DarkRed]Well it's pretty rare for me to get into an anime right from the start, but a few series that come to mind are

Samurai Champloo: The action combined with the hip-hop elements drew me in immediately.

Vandread: The artwork for the mechs and other characters is beautiful. All the women also make it visually pleasing ~_^.

Genshiken: Storyline, Storyline, Storyline. Genshiken is one of the coolest anime series ever, I like how the overall mood of it feels laid back.[/COLOR]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually it takes me a couple episodes to really get into it, and I generally have an idea of what the anime is roughly about, through reviews and whatnot... But here's my list:

[B]Rurouni Kenshin[/B] I had seen only 5 minutes of the OVA, and I knew I had to see more, but I never got the chance to watch the whole thing. Then I rented the Samurai X movie and I loved it. Then I watched the first episode of the TV series and it is one of my favorite animes.

[B]Naruto[/B] I love the mix of humor mixed in with a ninja-modern-fantasy plot. I've loved it since I first seen it, although at first I wasn't sure if I'd like it, with all the hype it was getting, but my biases were quickly changed.

[color=#4B0082]The Slayers sucked me in and didn't let go until I had watched all three seasons. And the OAV. And the movies. And I've since watched the first season over again.

The first episode made a great impression. It opens with Lina, a petite little sorceress girl wasting an entire camp of bandits. Much burning, much looting--great fun. And at the end, she destroys an entire village in the process of killing a dragon, with one huge spell, then basically just runs for it. The humor mixed in with it all is great, and comes at the perfect times to offset the serious parts. Or maybe it's the other way around, with the serious parts offseting the humor. . . . Either way, I loved the series from the start, and it remains one of my favorites.[/color]

hmmmmmmmmm... good question. the series that grabbed me first was pokemon, i heard that it was some dorky show but evr since i saw it i've loved it and i still do! :catgirl: the second one that grabbed me was Vandread, i was just going through the channels when i saw and decided to watch it and ended up loving it! :animesmil :catgirl: ;)

Guest Stafal-chan
Well...my bro found DBZ when he was really little...and i foudn InuYasha in 5th grade ^_^ totally by accident... i saw the first Sessho-maru episodes and was hooked but i didn't really get into it till 6th b/c i couldl never figure out when the shows were on... and then i found the manga...and started buying it...ack since liek 5th grade i've watched so much aniem i can barely remember it all ^_^ actually i would usually be hooked to anime right away ^_^ hmm whenever i find i new one to watch i'm so happy b/c it's mroe anime!! although i was bored with Neon Genisis Evangelion at first but it got better..still...Shinji(i suck at spelling...) is such a wuss he annoys me sometimes...
Samurai Champloo i was hooked right away YAAAY Samurai Champloo..TT_TT wahh i'm soo sad it just ended...

[quote name='Slade']Cowboy Bebop as soon as I saw it I couldnt let go.....I saw an episode here and ther but not fully. I was more channel surfing, finally one day I saw the whole episode and I couldnt wait to see the rest. I think it was not only the music that captured my interests ( like Venus Waltz,episode 5,Jets old girlfriend episode, Cowboy funk, Hardluck women, last episode) but also the theme and feelings it brought out in its viewers.[/quote]
I know what you mean. I've loved Cowboy Bebop since I saw it during its first run. Which was actually kind of inappropriate since I was only 11. I am pretty much a Bebop fangirl. :blush: The music of the show literally wakes me up out of bed at night. All of the animation is gorgeous, and the stories are well-written. All of the characters will endear themselves to you. Besides,Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV is the greatest hacker-child that ever will be.
I am a crazed fangirl, aren't I?

Guest freakotaku14
Chobits, and it wasnt because when hideki found chi she was wearing almost nothing,:animeswea i just thought it was interesting, and even that didn't have a great first episode. Most things dont, but i try to be patient and watch more than the first episode or 5.

A series that grabbed both me and my friend (the one person who'll spend a full weekend on an anime marathon to finish a series in one sitting) was Wolf's Rain. Even though it slowed down a bit in the middle (especially with the recap episodes), the first episode was amazing in how it gave you exactly enough information on their world to keep you hooked all the way through to the incredible, heart-stopping ending.

[COLOR=DarkRed]I'd say... InuYasha and YuYu Hakusho... Fullmetal Alchemist and... perhaps some others that I can't remember. (I'm happy I loved YuYu, though. If it wasn't for that-- and Yusuke-kun being on the cover of the July '03 issue of Shonen Jump-- then I never would have started reading Shonen Jump! w00t! :animesmil )[/COLOR]

[color=darkslateblue] Fullmetal Alchemist had me chugging down soda in order to stay awake during the night. I think it was during summer break or something, but I was [i]hooked[/i]. All I could think was that I was incredibly glad school was on break and I had downloaded the whole series in one sitting instead of episode-by-episode. Yes. It's like the ultimate anime.

Evangelion did the same thing to me when I first watched it, but it's not one of my favorite anime series anymore. :/

And as lame as it may sound, I'm a narutard. I got really excited the first time [spoiler]Naruto busted out Kyuubi's powers when Sasuke was about to die. [/spoiler] Like. [i]Really[/i] excited.[/color]

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=blue] Fullmetal Alchemist. After I watched and episode of it, I was immediately addicted. I always watched the show, bought every volume of the books, and bought every piece of merchandise I see. And still do! ^-^[/color][/font]

[quote name='Nekova']I just saw the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and couldn't believe how much I liked it [/quote]

I was definatley sucked in by NGE, in the first episode there's sooo much going on, it had a pretty cool story and like non-stop some kind or another action, I think what really sucked me in from episode 1 was when [Spoiler] They are shooting the nuke missles at the angel and it just stops it with his hand and the missle just "crushes" around it's hand[/Spoiler] the animation there was soooo cool :animestun . The rest of the series didn't dissapoint, although it left me with some kind of depressed feeling after watching the whole thing :animedepr , but after I got over it I would say this is my favorite anime so far. :animesmil

[color=dodgerblue]Hmmm... a series that grabbed me from the start? I'd have to say: Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Inu Yasha, Wolf's Rain, and definately Samurai Champloo ^_^ I can't exactly say why, they just interest me. Hell, they're awesome (to me -_-) [/color]

Guest SpookyKatie
Well my'n would be Trigun I've been nuts over this since it came to cartoon network :D .

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][B]SpookyKatie[/B], please expand on your choices; since OtakuBoards is a place for discussion you could explain why you feel Trigun grabbed you from the start. Please put a little more effort into your posts. Thank you. ~Aaryanna[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Fullmetal Alchemist got me hooked from the moment I watched it. When the episodes ended I just wanted to watch the next and the next. Before I knew it the series was over and I had the long wait for the film, which didn?t disappoint me in the least. The characters and voice acting quality (for both English and Japanese) also helped to grab me. So from the start I would say Fullmetal Alchemist was my favourite Anime, but you can probably guess that from my name.

[size=1]I'd have to say [b]Fruits Basket[/b] got me hooked on first episode. It was the first anime I watched that got me into the - Wow, anime isn't that bad! - mindset. I only had time to watch one episode at my cousin's house, and seeing as how that first episode ended off with the three transforming, I was wondering what would happen next. :animesmil [/size]

[B]Full metal alchemist[/B] got my hooked, it's just because of it being alchemy, I've watched the whole series and I love it ,but the ending wasn't that good. Now I'm trying to find the movie to see if it will give more closure.
[B].Hack//sign[/B] just because I'm a big fan of the whole .Hack project

I tried to get into [I]Naruto[/I] ,but I joined to late in the series to even know what was going on, so I'll just wait and hope they start the series over again. The same thing with [I]Gundam and one piece[/I]

Guest Metal Dragon
Definitely FLCL.The first episode was so weird and funny that the only think I could think of was when will I see episode 2. It's so sad that only 6 episodes were made. :animecry:
[QUOTE=_Kenshin_][B]Full metal alchemist[/B] got my hooked, it's just because of it being alchemy, I've watched the whole series and I love it ,but the ending wasn't that good. Now I'm trying to find the movie to see if it will give more closure.
[B].Hack//sign[/B] just because I'm a big fan of the whole .Hack project

I tried to get into [I]Naruto[/I] ,but I joined to late in the series to even know what was going on, so I'll just wait and hope they start the series over again. The same thing with [I]Gundam and one piece[/I][/QUOTE]What was wrong eith the last episode of Full Metal Alchemist? Because if you think about it, the ending makes it possible for more episodes to be made[quote name='freakotaku14']Chobits, and it wasnt because when hideki found chi she was wearing almost nothing,:animeswea i just thought it was interesting, and even that didn't have a great first episode. Most things dont, but i try to be patient and watch more than the first episode or 5.[/quote]There are episodes!?No fair! I can't even find vol.2! :animecry:
Then what was it that made u like Chobits? The way he turned Chii "on" :laugh:

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][B]Metal Dragon[/B], I've merged your triple post. In the future please do not double and triple post. Just use the edit button in the lower right had corner of your post to add more to your current post. If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff.

~Aaryanna[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#656446][b]Texhnolyze[/b], definitely. Yeah, probably because I've never been exposed to any anime of its genre the first time I saw it. It doesn't begin with a speech from the main character or the usual "Ohayoooouuuu!" scriptwriters like to put in as a sort of tangible representation to the anime milestone that is the Beginning.

No, Texhnolyze doesn't start with [i]any[/i] dialogue at all. No voices 'til you're 10 minutes into the first episode. It was Silence that got me hooked into the series.

That's a pretty impressive feat, IMO. [/COLOR]

i tend to read the manga of an anime before i watch the actual anime. i loved Fruits Basket from the get go and when i watched bits and pieces of the anime i loved it more. I also liked Tsubasa:RC and love the anime too, although personally i think it couldhave been better done. However there was only one that caught me straight from the first ep. without having read the manga and that was Card Captor Sakura. CCS was probably the first anime i'd ever watched before i knew really what anime or manga was, so it's kinda sentimental value too. 果物かご及びカード捕獲者佐倉の石 Rock on Furuba and CCS!

Hmm I just recently watched an anime called D.Nangel which kind of turned me off at fist but then I fell in love after 10 episodes. Another new one I havee seen recently is Ah my goddess. I only watched the fist 5 episodes but IM IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]when i was younger, i saw a few episodes of Sailor Moon, but they didn't interest me at the time. last summer, i was lying in bed flipping through channels when i saw an anime that really caught my attention. that anime was InuYasha. since then i've been hooked. my favorite anime list keeps growing and growing, but my number one favorite is InuYasha.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Nekova]I just saw the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and couldn't believe how much I liked it immediately (especially since I'm not a huge mecha fan). The whole father-son relationship, the interactions between everyone else, and the plot in general (as much as was revealed in that one episode) just sucked me in, and now I am waiting [I]anxiously[/I] to see the rest.
Usually, even with animes that end up being my favourites, it can take a few shows to really get me involved with the characters. What shows affected you the same way right from the beginning?[/QUOTE]

The show that really got me started was Dragonball Z and now I am hooked. One new anime i am interested in is Naruto.

[QUOTE=Metal Dragon]
What was wrong eith the last episode of Full Metal Alchemist? Because if you think about it, the ending makes it possible for more episodes to be[/QUOTE]
With the fullmetal alchemist the last episode gave me a wrong feeling ,and ya they are making new OVA's for fullmetal alchemist and a new series of .Hack called .Hack//roots
I can't wait for those.

Another good series would be the dragonball, dragonball Z and dragonball GT series those we're great although I didn't see all the movies.