OtakuBoards

Which series grabbed you from the start?

Nekova

Out of everything I've watched, the ones that have drawn me in the most have been shows like Fruits Basket, Lucky Star and Lovely Complex. I really enjoy slice of life and romantic comedies so those type of series, especially when they are good, always tend to just grab my attention.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE="1"]I suppose like a lot of OB's original members/remaining oldies, DBZ was the first anime which really grabbed me from the start, given that it was so completely different from what I'd seen before, although I still quite enjoy the series, I doubt it would hold me in the same fashion now as it did then.

The two most recent anime which really drew me in from the very beginning would probably be Claymore and Samurai Champloo. I'd been aware of the former for a while, but when I actually sat down and watched it for the first time, I was hooked straight away. It was quite bleak and very deep, and I suppose that's what made it interesting to me particularly the exploration of identity and humanity along the way.

Samurai Champloo on the other hand I got into because of Mike/Zen, he'd mentioned the series once or twice, and as I had a bit of free time I thought I'd check it out, seeing as his last recommendation, Bleach had turned out to be one of my favourite continuing anime series. Samurai Champloo was just a really cool take on the whole samurai culture and particularly contrasting between Jin and Mugen, guys who were almost two opposite sides of the same coin. The whole style of the series was great for me, and one of the things that made me watching it in a single weekend. [/SIZE]

I get into a lot of anime usually from the first few episodes, but one anime that really drew me in of the opening was [B]Kino No Tabi[/B], aka [B]Kino's Journey[/B]. From just watching the opening squence it gripped me. The talking motar cycle intrigued me too...The style of the first episode was just so dreamily sureal, a style continued through out, but that first episode in particular just hits me everytime. If I ever feel philosophical, I can just wacth Kino No Tabi. In fact after watching that first episode I pretty much bought the rest of the series and watched it all in one go.
Kino No Tabi was an interesting one for me as well, as usually i pick up anime from reading forums or from friends, with Kino No Tabi I just picked it up by chance at a convention. Luckiest find so far.

Alot of my favourite anime grabbed me from pretty much the start, Escaflowne, Full Metal Alchemist, Read or Die... but with Kino No Tabi it was different as it intriged me so much, it wasn't the story line that grabbed me but the style, well, pretty much everything.

[COLOR="Navy"][SIZE="1"]I have to say that they're aren't that many anime out there to grab me just from the first episode. Most of the "popular" titles took quite a bit for me to get into (Bleach, Naruto... blah blah), that is if I ever had the patience to wait 3-4 episodes for everything to pick up. In most cases, that just won't happen. (Eureka 7 got lucky)

With that being said, though, [b]Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex[/b] was one of those rare titles (my so called rare title) that grabbed me from the very start. And it picked up even quicker with the [spoiler]intercepters and the Laughing Man[/spoiler] (just incase) getting into the mix. And then there was 2nd Gig. Again, the first episode of that season was a hook for me.

[b]Samurai Champloo[/b] was another one that hooked me from the very start. The fighting was just that good to keep me coming back to the series. Although, I can live without the annoyance that is Fuu.

[b]Black Lagoon[/b] is the latest anime (and manga) from the very start. It's just too bad that I missed that last 2 episodes of 2nd barrage. (I lost track of time playing Devil May Cry 3.... DAGFLAMMIT) What I like about Black Lagoon is that there is no slow downs. Actually, I take that back, there was only 1 episode that was slow, but was giving tons of details, so that cancels it out :).

Then there are anime titles that has great 1st episodes, but tend to "slow" down with the next 2-4 episodes and then pick up again..... Cowboy Bebop, Trigun.. etc.

[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='ANBU kunoichi']DBZ. I had originally started watching it during the Cell saga. The next thing I knew, it was one of my first anime obsessions. (besides Sailor Moon, of course...) And, as much as I hate to admit it now, Pokemon. I got a tape showing a preview of it before it came on TV, and I was in love the moment I saw it. Cowboy Bebop did that, too. But then again, the first episode I saw was the last one. :animeswea But I still ended up loving it.[/QUOTE]

DBZ was my first experience with anime. I caught my first episode during the Frieza VS. Super Saiyan Goku. I got so hooked I woulnd't let myself watch another episode until Cartoon Network started the series over.

I tried watching Neon Genesis. Sakura Wars, and some others but never got interested in anoter one until I saw my first episode of Beserk after basic training. I got obsessed with it and watched every episode my roomate had. Then it was another couple of years before I saw my first Naruto episode. (I got caught up in Trigun a little bit but never got hooked on it.)

While there are alot of series that grabbed my attention from the start (although some didn't keep it *cough*Inuyasha*cough*) Death Note is definately the one that made the biggest impression on me and kept me glued to the screen. I loved it from the beginning.
Another show that had me glued to my seat and faithfully watching every saturday was FullMetal Alchemist. When I saw the first episode and heard Edward's scream and saw his bloody led, I dont know why, but I was HOOKED. I love FullMetal Alchemist. Its one of the best animes out there.

When I was younger, it was Sailor Moon. I was addicted to it. That and Rurouni Kenshin. My dad couldn't understand why I liked those shows so much..

And then when I got older it was Kikaider and Trigun.

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Palatino Linotype"].hack//SIGN was the very first anime to grab my attention during the first few seconds. Although, I was in 2nd grade and had no idea that TV shows could curse in them, so anything like that could grab my attention.[/FONT]

Dragonball Z blew me away pretty much instantly.

Being the very first anime I saw ever, I happened to catch the last few eps of the Goku Vs Raditz fight. Possibly the first cartoon I'd ever seen at the time to have blood in it.

The series just got better and better for me and ultimately drew me into the wonder that is anime and manga ^^

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, as soon as i watched the first episode i was hooked!! the dialogue by Kyon is simply amusing and helps add to the plot immensly, but i never knew an anime series could be so addicting.

Rockman.exe because as soon as i watched the first episode, i became a huge fan that talks of it about every five minutes ^_^. at first, i thought it was so strange that i had to watch more which was partially because i had started it on the third season.

[font=arial narrow]For me, it was Rurouni Kenshin, as well as One Piece, Fairy Tail, Death Note, and many psychological thrillers out there. Peacemaker Kurogane also did a good job; I was intrigued almost immediately (largely due to the fact that I was a loyal Shinsengumi fan back then).[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms] Probably an example of how I lack patience, the anime series that have grabbed me from the start are the only ones I really, really like: [i]Fullmetal Alchemist[/i], [i]Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann[/i], [i]Mononoke[/i], and [i]Diebuster[/i].

[i]Evangelion[/i] would be on the list, but it's not really a series I love anymore. But it has a special place in my heart, I guess. :3

And I don't know if I should be ashamed for this, but [i]Soul Eater[/i] has grabbed my attention pretty quickly. I was sucked in pretty quickly and I've been waiting for each new subbed episode to come out.[/font]

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR="Sienna"]@TOPIC

its DBZ , i remember that DBZ mania before :animesmil , i was 10 yrs old that time.
It was dubbed in our native language that's why i quickly hooked up in that anime
(before,i dont have any idea what ANIME is :animesmil )

next is Yu Yu Hakusho and Lupin III[/COLOR]

Two interpretations of the question:

The first anime to ever capture my attention was Tenchi Muyo (back when Cartoon Network took it on). That being said... The first one to *keep* my attention was Outlaw Star (also Cartoon Network showings). Outlaw Star's characters just sucked me right in emotionally. The story was easy to follow, with a good bit of action and plot to keep the viewer interested. To this day I still prefer its Dub to its Sub.

Second:

An anime in particular that captivated my attention right from the beginning was D.Gray-man. Allen Walker - out of all the main characters of any anime I've ever encounters - captured all the aspects of a fantasy character that I could've imagined in one tight package. The mixture of his characters physical traits (cursed left eye, white hair), personality (up beat, leveled, caring), as well as his random psychotic traits (i.e. when he thinks back to his days with his 'master'..) made him an ideal character for my affection.

On top of all of that, the first few mini-plots to come along and pull you into the series are amazingly well done, ex. being Lala (episodes 3-5) the 'Ghost of Mateel' section, at the very beginning had such a dramatic feel to it that I couldn't help but be sucked in.

I'll admit though, the only reason I started watching D.Gray-man at all was because Gekidou by UVERworld was chosen as its 3rd OP.

All hail UVERworld OPs .

[COLOR="DimGray"][SIZE="1"]I think the very first series that grabbed me from the start was the first season of Digimon. There was so much hype around it before it came out that the first episode would have seemed amazing even if it was lame. But it was actually very good and every Saturday I tuned in for the rest of Season 1, then Season 2 and eventually even Tamers.

There are only two other series' which grabbed me from the start. One is Death Note, which I don't even have to explain. The other is Full Metal Alchemist.

FMA is right up my alley, genre-wise. I love science-fiction and the steam punk twist was such a breath of fresh air. Plus the plot was really intriguing. I feel like watching the movie now...[/SIZE][/COLOR]

One series that grabbed me from the start was Outlaw Star just completely amazing the graphics and the characters of Jim Hawkins and Gene Starwind just blew me away. The fight scenes and the interspace battles were something had me in awe was the first anime I ever watched besides Sailor Moon.

Another one would be Cowboy Beebop and Trigun both of them were amazing and I still don't know which one I like more especially when it comes to the endings of both of them.

I think the first anime that really, really sucked me in and never let go was Pokemon. I remember just randomly coming across it and falling in love with the quirky characters and the colorful art and fun storylines. Obviously, it sucked me in pretty hard, because while I stopped watching when the voice actors changed, I'm still collecting/watching the DVDs and doing fanworks around it, not to mention I still buy the stuff like crazy.

Slayers I got totally hooked on just because it's pure fun, beginning to end. I love the lighthearted take on fantasy it has, and the cute humor.

Rozen Maiden- from the first episode, I knew I was in love with it. It really is a truly original and entertaining series.

Guest PLAGUE
I would have to say Dragon Ball Z got me,I remember watching the very first episode and I was like......obsessed you could say.That was when I was about 5 and im 16 now and still interested in it,around 8 years though I was introduced to Ruroni Kenshin.DBZ no doubt controlled my life much more so,than say,kenshin did.
But both were very good/

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Plum"]Well, as a rule, I don't give up on anime right after the first episode or judge them by the first episode, because usually the first few episodes are used as introductions. That being said, Wolf's Rain grabbed me straight away, since I'm a little obsessed with wolves, but the first few episodes are really slow in that (so I judged it by the title, and what I'd seen in AMVs). Heat Guy J and Elfen Lied I saw AMVs to before I started watching them, so based on the amount of violence I saw I wanted to watch them. XD I'm a pathetic anime fan aren't I?[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='TheDumbening']The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]yup - i totally agree as soon as i saw the first episode (if you can work out which the first is) i made it my mission to get them, which i did.

the other few i have really liked from the word go are
-tsukuyomi moon phase
-Star Ocean Ex
-And :animeswea Card Captors[/COLOR]