OtakuBoards

Which series grabbed you from the start?

Nekova

Guest tewstroke
It would have to be Cowboy Bebop. Spike has to be the coolest character invented. It was the first time that I had ever seen anime, and so it made a lasting impression on me.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Plum]It would Saiyuki because it had me at the op theme. The series is interesting and provides funny as well as serious moments. I actually watched it from the 21st ep and I have been hooked ever since. I think what really got me the most is how the voice actors fitted perfectly with each of the character's personality, wether it's Sanzo's cold demeanor, Hakkai's kindness, Gojyo's playboy-ness (is that even a word?), or Goku's energy, it makes feel a certain connection with each of these characters (I'm talking about the Eng voices since I've just gotten into the original Japanese voice actors about a month ago).[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest I am GIR
Fooly Cooly for sure. as soon as i saw the first few minutes i couldn't stop. total addict now, i loe how weird it is and the fact that you really have to think about why the events are actually taking place but it is a lot of guess work. btw if you like the show you should read the manga...explains a little more and is just as strange ^.^

Fullmetal Alchemist: At first because the concept was different from the majority of animes i had already seen (FMA was the 7th or 8th series i began watching from beggining to end). By episode 3 i was very into with the intensity of the story between the brother's determined goal to defy equilibrium in order to bring their mother back, well explained in the alotted time, and from there it easily became my current number one favorite anime.

Samurai Champloo: This is one series where the first and last episodes were the best of the series. The first fight between Mugen and Jin got me into it and i expected great things from it when i read that it was from the same ranks as cowboy bebop. I always liked Jin better for some reason.

Trigun: I loved the mix between action and comedy portrayed in every episode, ep 1 being no different so therefore it was easy to captivate my attention from the get go. Vash and Wolfwood are two of my favorite anime characters alltogether.

Most others i was interested in, but didn't really get into it until the later episodes, so i won't list them.

Mine would have to be Azumanga Daioh, I couldn't stop laughing at the silly things going on and some of the very weird characters in the anime. I really got logged into watching it when they started playing volleyball and they were trying to play catch and Osaka and Chiyo kept trying to catch the ball and just got hit in their face instead! I really like comedies in anime that's for sure ! This is one of those!Chiyo the small cute one, Tomo the spastic one, Yomi the weight conscious, Sakaki the mysterious one and athletic, Kagura the atheletic and Osaka ( Kasuga Ayuma) the slow.... *correction* very slow !!! , the everyday people put together you get something silly! =) :animesmil

Osaka was so funny and slow! She'd always make things interesting when it got a little bit boring!Like when she told the scary story! How Osaka was like Last night.....
*everyone gulps* (Osaka): I smelt a fart that wasn't mine! That was hilarious!!

I ended up getting hooked to .hack//SIGN really fast. The plot seemed to abstract, and yet it made sense. It's still one of my favorite series ^_^

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]NinjaGirlSango, at Otakuboards qualitative discussion is emphasized. Post content is therefore very important. If the content in your posts do not improve they can, and will, be classified as spam. Make sure to keep this in mind when writing a post to prevent being moderated. -r2[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

I like most anime and I get hooked to lots of them very fast. One would be Gundam Seed Destiny, Silent Mobius, and Martian Successor Nadesico. Gundam Seed because I am a HUGE Gundam fan. Silent Mobius Because it got good fast and kept my interest. Nadesico because I like gaint robot animes. There are more but these got my interest the fastest.

Guest Chaos Saiyajin
I started watching anime when I was in third grade, and three immidiatley caught my attention: Dragonball Z, Digimon, and Pokemon.

Nowadays, after seeing one episode of Konjiki no Gash Bell! , I'm a friggin' psycho. Just like when I began reading Death Note. :D

One of those series that got my interised was full metal Alchemist. the first 5 ep's
really got me hooked on it because of the great story behind it[i like the ending]

Another one was samuri 7 I have been watch the first few ep's and its really intersiting with robots and samuri mixed together.
Dot hack//sigh was also one of thoses that got me hooked it has a very deep story line somtimes it can be very depressing but its happy in the end :animesmil

YuYu Hakasho hands down is the first series that got me going with anima and manga. Not much to say on the whole series but it is the one series were I buy all the books instead of just volume 1 or two.

Hmm I must say [b]Trinity Blood[/b] stood out to me. The animation was good, and the first few minutes of the first episode were quite funny. I continued watching and I just loved the series more and more. Before actually watching it, I knew it would be something like Trigun fused with Hellsing. It greatly exceeded my expectations.

I think it would be Inuyasha. I love that series so so much that I even collect the manga and buy the DVDs. I think it is the coolest anime ever and I love it so much that I talk about it with my friend at school all the time.(He also loves Inuyasha) :D

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]Mine would be Gravitation, I rented the first disk and was in love! Yuki was such an A**, yeah had to know what happened there. I also fell in love with samurai deeper, another one that I saw the first disk, and had to go buy set.
My latest though is Saiyuki, I don't even know how to explain on how many levels this caught my attention. The opening theme was great, then you got into the actual show, OMG! You can't help but fall in LOVE with at least one of the char. Then the action, comedy and internal conflict all in the first disk. So yeah, Saiyuki I have to say is the strongest first impression that comes to mind.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR] :animestun

Guest GirlGaara
The one that grabbed me from the start is a tie between Naruto and Inuyasha.They boath are so interesting.Inuyasha has the i fell in love with the bad boy storyline wile Naruto has the i fight for my dreams and i wont stop storyline. But thats just my opinion.

[B]Full Metal Panic![/B] had me hooked by the second page Vol. 1 (manga). When I was still working at Borders I remember vividly using up all of my lunchbreaks just to sit there and read all of the mangas the very day they came out. lol And when I found out there was an anime for it too I bought it without even seeing it. I don't regret it either. The anime closely follows the manga which is nice and both are very good (and hillarious). Souske's and Kaname's exchanges cracked me up.

Another one that snagged me was [B]Chrono Crusade[/B]. I was attracted mainly to the artwork. Both the anime and the manga are beautifully drawn. While I'm not as partial to the anime as I am the manga the series is good for being as short as it is.

THe anime that got me hooked on anime in the first place would have to be Dragonballz but my all time favorite that caught me from the start was wolf rain

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][INDENT]inuyasha190236, since Otakuboards emphasizes conversation, posting answers without reasons is not permitted. For example, you could explain WHY Dragonball Z got you hooked from the start. You could also explain why Wolf's Rain is your [b]favourite[/b] anime that hooked you from the start. If your future posts don't fulfill these requirements, they will be deleted without warning.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or any of the other mods. -r2[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Ninja scroll, shadow skill, Pokemon,and galaxy train 999, dragon ball z, outlaw star, macross plus,Trigun, and the dirty pair flash. these were some of my first anime's and after i saw them i was hooked :animecry: . anime willl always be i favorite type of animation and awesome new anime like eureka seven and FMA AKA Fullmetal Alchemist. that's not about to change. :cool:

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][INDENT]AnimeHeroX, just like I said above, conversation is very important. Posting just a list is unacceptable. If you don't post the reasons the next time you post, your post will be deleted without warning. -r2[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 years later...
The first seried I read was Saiyuki Reload. After I finished the book i got HOOKED on it and went on to searching the web for pictures, wallpapers and such. Then I went on and watched the series. Now I am TOTALLY obsessed! And I've also come to <3 one of the characters so much I talk about him everyday almost!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the OtakuBoards, so please bare with me!

There's been a few anime series that have snagged me first thing.

The one that is top of mind - Chrono Crusade. The concept and the spin on Church was interesting from the get-go. The action is top notch, with music (at least I think so) that matches. There series continues to build more and more. I was a bit disappointed by the quick ending to the series, but overall love it! It was the first anime series I got the whole DVD series.

Another one - Noir. Although slow in pace, it uses that to make you wonder, "What next?". Like Chrono Crusade, it builds and builds! The story really sucks you in, and the gun play reminds me of an action movie.

The series that has my eye now: Elven Lied (sp?). I caught an episode on Anime Network, and have been hooked since.

- zkaminski

[FONT=Arial]the ones that had me hooked from the go were Trigun and *gulp* Fushigi Yuugi. Fushigi Yuugi was the first shoujo (?) anime I had watched (the first anime period being DBZ), and it had never occurred to my young, Americanese self that 'cartoons' didn't necessarily have to be episodic. and for Trigun, come on. Vash is pretty much one of the funniest, addicting characters you could possibly ask for. I wish I could find my Vash doll. :( sucker cost me forty bucks!!! anyways, the series itself was very funny and exciting as well, so....yeah. definitely some good times coming from that show.

it took me two or three-ish episodes to get into Cowboy Bebop, but once I got a feel for the show and recognized the underlying plot, there was no stopping. I have to say that nowadays Cowboy Bebop takes the cake compared to the anime I liked from the start.
[/FONT]