OtakuBoards

Which series grabbed you from the start?

Nekova

I just saw the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and couldn't believe how much I liked it immediately (especially since I'm not a huge mecha fan). The whole father-son relationship, the interactions between everyone else, and the plot in general (as much as was revealed in that one episode) just sucked me in, and now I am waiting [I]anxiously[/I] to see the rest.
Usually, even with animes that end up being my favourites, it can take a few shows to really get me involved with the characters. What shows affected you the same way right from the beginning?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE=1]Most recently, it was Rose of Versailles. I'm always up for a good historical drama, and I liked their portrayal of Marie Antoinette right from the get-go. Unlike many other series, I didn't feel that it started off slowly, and it was able to keep my attention throughout its entirety.

The only other anime that's currently coming to mind is Samurai Champloo, which had me thoroughly impressed; it's rare to find an anime with such well animated and well choreographed scenes in the very first episode.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Nekova]I just saw the first episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion, and couldn't believe how much I liked it immediately (especially since I'm not a huge mecha fan). The whole father-son relationship, the interactions between everyone else, and the plot in general (as much as was revealed in that one episode) just sucked me in, and now I am waiting [I]anxiously[/I] to see the rest.
Usually, even with animes that end up being my favourites, it can take a few shows to really get me involved with the characters. What shows affected you the same way right from the beginning?[/QUOTE]

Neon genesis is also what got me, i've seen the first 13 eps and i want to see the rest too. But i have to say pokemon got me too. at first i thought i was dumb but after i gave it a chance i got in to it fast, but the pokemon know is getting lame.

hi newbie here! well, the anime that captivated me from the very start is gensomaden saiyuki.
the fact that saiyuki is based from an old famous chinese novel, and adding some great ideas of it's creator kazuya minekura all the elements blended well and produced a great anime.

especially when you watch the japanese ver which is the original ver of saiyuki, the seiyuus (voice actors) really did a great job on giving life to each of the characters.

trinity blood grabbed me with its first episode...it was amazing, the visuals were awesome, and the story was confusing at first with the vatican at war against vampires which sucked me in more and more....the lead character Abel Nightroad was a real enigma....it was shocking when it was revealed [spoiler]that he was a Crusnik...or a vampire that sucks the blood of vampires...[/spoiler]

[INDENT][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Nomad19, it was shocking for you, so let's try to keep it a shock for others as well. ;) Spoiler tags are an essential part of posting if you're going to write about plot twists. [URL=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=46199]Click here[/URL] to find out more about them. Feel free to PM me or any of the other mods if you have any questions. -Arvi[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

Guest Kobacha_sama
originally it was zoids but it was gundam seed that got the best of me because i was such a sucker for robots hehehe :animestun . unfortunetly i was not able to see most of it because something went wrong and the channel which i saw it was gone for like 4 months already :animecry: but at least later on i was able to see it all but unfortunetly i had to stay up late to watch it :animeangr i am annoyed but for it's worth it :animesmil

[QUOTE]hi newbie here! well, the anime that captivated me from the very start is gensomaden saiyuki.
the fact that saiyuki is based from an old famous chinese novel, and adding some great ideas of it's creator kazuya minekura all the elements blended well and produced a great anime.[/QUOTE]

i really likeed this anime too, because of the way it was created
actually here is an amazing fact why i liked these 2 shows. the voice actors of 3 characters of the sayuki realod show has the same voice actors of 3 characters of gundam seed!!!(note it is the japanese version)
they are::
1. sanzo // rau
2.hakkai // athrun
3. goku // kira

i found out when i felt like thier voices were so familiar so i did a test. while sayuki reload was playing,i played gundam seed at the same time and then i found out when 2 characters are talking at the same time some has the actual same voice. i did more reaserch and found out my thery is true. so done end of story, the end, bye bye! :catgirl:

DBZ. I had originally started watching it during the Cell saga. The next thing I knew, it was one of my first anime obsessions. (besides Sailor Moon, of course...) And, as much as I hate to admit it now, Pokemon. I got a tape showing a preview of it before it came on TV, and I was in love the moment I saw it. Cowboy Bebop did that, too. But then again, the first episode I saw was the last one. :animeswea But I still ended up loving it.

Samurai Champloo's first episode is actually better than half of the series.

Comedic animes such as Azumanga Daioh and SGT Frog are usually easy to warm up early because there isn't the worry of getting exposition out of the way. Comedies like Milk-Chan which don't impress at all at the beginning generally never ever impress me at all.

I found the first episode of Paranoia Agent to be good fun as well.

And then there's Rumiko Takahashi's shows, which all start off excellent but devolve into formulaic crap after a season or two. I wish that woman would at least learn how to write endings...

[SIZE=1]Ah, so many anime's grabbed me and drew me into them from the start. Take such examples as the little [b]Pokémon[/b] craze that went on around the school. And also [b]Dragon Ball Z[/b]. I'd get home, switch on Cartoon Network and wait for DBZ to start. Same with in the morning, switch on...I think it was 'Diggit' a random little program which featured some cartoons, and I'd wait for Pokémon to start before I left for school.

Ah, those were the days.

Now though, [b]Bleach[/b] and [b]Neon Genesis Evangelion[/b], those two are probably the only 'proper' anime (I don't see Pokémon or DBZ as proper anime) that pulled me into the web of obsession from the start.[/SIZE]

Cowboy Bebop as soon as I saw it I couldnt let go.....I saw an episode here and ther but not fully. I was more channel surfing, finally one day I saw the whole episode and I couldnt wait to see the rest. I think it was not only the music that captured my interests ( like Venus Waltz,episode 5,Jets old girlfriend episode, Cowboy funk, Hardluck women, last episode) but also the theme and feelings it brought out in its viewers.

[B]X/1999[/B] is surely the one that grabbed me from the absolute beginning. Me and X, it was love at first sight. I was searching for anime boxsets to buy at my first shopping spree at my anime/manga shop, and came across a picture of just the box. I immediately knew this was one I had to check out and actually bought it without knowing too much about it. It captivated me from the first episode and has been my favourite anime ever since.

[B]Rurouni Kenshin[/B] was another one. I had read fanfiction about it without watching the series, but it inspired me immediately to pick it up asap. I'm still loving it ever since. XD

Inuyasha was my first anime and Im still watching it so obviously it grabed me

Another was Tenjo Tenge just an awsome show and great action.

Then Evangelion got my attention although first time watching was a little confussing but I loved it anyway.

There's quite a few that grabbed me from the start.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC - I think I was 1st hooked when I even saw the previews of it. When I saw the 1st episode, I was like "DAMN!" Mainly because of the visuals.

Cowboy Bebop - Like Slade said. It was more of a channel surfing thing when I first laid eyes on this. 1st episode I saw was the last episode and when I saw the all the shooting and the little fight seqence with Spike and Vicious, I was pretty much hooked.

Hellsing - Alucard pretty much made my day. From the moment he pulled out his gun in the 1st episode... Boom!!! Visuals / animation is great too... (I hate his black / grey suit though)

And last but not least IGPX. But of course this was because of the visuals and the action.

There were alot of animes that caught me from the start.
[U]The list is as follows[/U]
[COLOR=Cyan]Fushigi Yuugi [/COLOR] - It is so good i couldnt believe how good it was. it very quickly became one of my favorite animes
[COLOR=Cyan]Fruits basket[/COLOR] - It is just so funny and intresting from the first episode and book.
[COLOR=Cyan]CardCaptor Sakura[/COLOR] - I have always loved this kind of anime / manga. I was hooked from the start.
[COLOR=Cyan]Naruto [/COLOR] - It is so good with the action and all
[COLOR=Cyan]Cere Celestial Legend[/COLOR] - This is one i got cause yuu watase made this and i loved her fushigi yuugi and her others

[COLOR=Magenta]THere are just so many more i cant name them all i am such an anime and manga freak :catgirl: [/COLOR]

Fooly Cooly. Definitely.

I was just watching cartoon network, the remote was lost, and I was too lazy to get up and change the channel manually. Then this show comes on, and at first I'm like, wow this is stupid. And then I get into it like 10 seconds in. So there you have it. One of the best animes to date.

I have a few...One would be Yu-yu Hakusho. How it started was amazing! Just how it ended, i wanted to finnish watching all the way to the end. ^^

Then their is Cowboy Bebop: mind you, I didn't really watch it from the beinging. It was by accident that i started watching it. But from their on i watched to the ending and thu the beinging to the place where i started.

And then their was Trigun. Just seeing a red trench coat and a blonde hair hottie was cool but just how Vash is cunning/funny. Made my day every time i watched it. :catgirl:

[quote name='frankieanime']I would have to say inuyasha. i have always been a fan of inuyasha and still am. :D[/quote]
same here dude i am all inuyasha and always have been but ive recently sucked into others like one piece and dragon ball (dragon ball; dragon ball z; dragon ball gt)

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]So far there has been only two...yet they rocked so hard they should be in their own catergory.

FLCL: Why exactly? Because when I saw that first episode of FLCL Not only was I just feeling. "OMGWTFBBQ!11!11!1!" at the graphics at it... It was just so strange..So different, so unlike the normal plot lines, character types and the like. I just HAD! to keep my intrest into it. I was mortified though once I found out that it was going to end so soon. I actually did a Darth Vader styled "NOOOOO" once I found that out. Yet I had to accept the fact and move on...slowly with one step at a time.

Bleach: Because I haven't seen a better sword wielding show since Kenshin's day. That however was back in more of a traditional sword wielding era. While...Bleach may be a more modern era. Yet when you see a sword as a Katana one second then..[spoiler]it can become something as wierd as a giagantic baby caterpillar.[/spoiler] I think that they have earned a coolness all their own.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='nomad19]trinity blood grabbed me with its first episode...it was amazing, the visuals were awesome, and the story was confusing at first with the vatican at war against vampires which sucked me in more and more....the lead character Abel Nightroad was a real enigma....it was shocking when it was revealed [spoiler']that he was a Crusnik...or a vampire that sucks the blood of vampires...[/spoiler][/quote]

[color=DarkOrange][size=1][b]I would have to agree with nomad19 there. That was rather a good twist at the end of the first episode. It definitely sucked me in.

Other than Trinity Blood, I would have to say:

[i]NOIR[/i] - In my opinion, the first episode is the best of all. Just the action and the intrigue. There are other good episodes that drew me in, but the first ever episode of NOIR was what made me start watching anime.[/color][/b][/size]