OtakuBoards

Do You Think About Your Generation's Future?

Touchstone

[FONT=Georgia]Perhaps this is a strange question, but I've been thinking about it off and on for a long time lately. Each generation ascends into adulthood and inherits the problems of the elderly. Perhaps they fix them, perhaps not. Perhaps they lead us headfirst into another Vietnam, or another Cold War. And what if our generation is incompetent, amoral, and our country shrivels into another fallen empire of the world?

These are things I worry about. I worry that we won't find an energy system to replace oil, or find one equally as bad. I worry that our planet will die and my children will receive our mistakes. I know I exaggerate and distort the fears of the future in my mind, but we have to start changing now before we become the ones who make [i]others[/i] change.

So, how about you? What do you think your generation will do?[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]"What do I think my generation will do?" There is never complete certainty in predicting the outcome of events, but I will say this: I don't care.

How can I say this? I can say this because, regardless of tomorrow's conditions, regardless of how people live their lives tomorrow, I will feel joy within myself. I am my own being, I have my own life, and that makes me happy. Being happy is all that one needs to live a full life, regardless of what the world might dictate - seeing the world, learning new things, whatever makes you happy.

So, in the end: Whatever tomorrow might bring, I shall be there, and I shall live on knowing that I am happy.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I am always thinking about how bleak my generation's future is. Because no matter how much I try to convince myself that there are enough smart people out there to pull through... I'm totally convinced that we are all doomed. Things are going through an eternal downward spiral that will result in total destruction. Okay, I'm exaggerating, but, my point is clear, right?

I really wish that our generation would be intelligent and right the wrongs of the world, but no one seems to care about anything nowadays. Most teens I've been around don't even care about themselves much less others. Some people wouldn't want it any other way.

Personally, I see the future as bleak. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but when I stare out at the world I see darkness.

Hmm, it seems we need a bit more diversity in opinion here!

I'm just going go ahead and say that I'm not a very pessimistic person in any real way.

And really when I think about our generation's future, I wonder what things our generation will accomplish. I mean what's visible in our life time and even afterwards.

Also, what sort of things we will have to go through, like the end of Social Security. But I think of that as an adjustment, something' s got to take its place I figure.

In general, I say that what ever problems currently exist, I will try to make sure I'm not a part of the problem.

As far as my concerns, I'm really a person more concerned about things in the world that will affect us and so on, but simply concerning our gen, well yeah I'd like to see what sort of mark we may leave on the world.

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]Derald, i personally think people like you are largly the problem of our generation. I'm assuming from your statement you don't or wouldn't vote. People that don't care don't affect change and are useless to our society except for that you spend money and make it (i assume). I'm glad you're happy, i just wish you cared. I wish more people cared. I'm glad i do care.

Personally i'm optimistic about my generation's future. I'm 18 by the way, just so you know which generation i'm talking about. I think there are enough smart people in my generation that care about politics and our world that will make a better tomorrow. I also believe that all of the people that don't care in my generation will go on to have nothing to do with politics, which is good. Good that they won't be involved, not that they don't care. I suppose in a way it's like natural selection.

I'm worried about the problems, not our capability of handling those problems.

Later.
[/COLOR] [/FONT]

Guest Gun Preacher
I fear for both my gen and my kids if i live long enough to have any most of my friends are dead or in jail and it seems that this happens to more people om my gen every day.

and for my kids how do they learn from us when we cant even learn from are selves but this is the way of the world man i destined to kill each other.

[QUOTE=The13thMan][FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]Derald, i personally think people like you are largly the problem of our generation. I'm assuming from your statement you don't or wouldn't vote. People that don't care don't affect change and are useless to our society except for that you spend money and make it (i assume). I'm glad you're happy, i just wish you cared. I wish more people cared. I'm glad i do care.

Personally i'm optimistic about my generation's future. I'm 18 by the way, just so you know which generation i'm talking about. I think there are enough smart people in my generation that care about politics and our world that will make a better tomorrow. I also believe that all of the people that don't care in my generation will go on to have nothing to do with politics, which is good. Good that they won't be involved, not that they don't care. I suppose in a way it's like natural selection.

I'm worried about the problems, not our capability of handling those problems.

Later.
[/COLOR] [/FONT][/QUOTE]
Aw, you're always picking on poor old Derald.
Oh well.

Assuming you are American, I think it's wonderful that there are people who think that way about the world. I really hope that my generation (I'm 19, going on 20 pretty soon) as well as those that follow have learned from our unbelievable access to information and learning from history. The future is in our hands, the baby boomers are going to be retiring soon, and it's up to us to carry the future of the world on our shoulders. I hope that we are educated enough to handle the problems that not only are occurring now, but are probable (sp?) to happen in the future. For example, the greenhouse effect, alternative oil resources, and all the issues in the Middle East and Africa. We're the ones who have had unlimited access to information our whole lives, thanks to the internet and mass-communication. More of us are getting post-secondary education, and more of us are starting to care about what's happening.

I just hope that we can steer mankind off the glim road that I fear we are going down.

I turn 21 in July, and i can honestly say that around here (new york) i fear for my generations future. All i've ever witnessed during my high school years was how ignorant people were and how high up on a pedestal they all treated intellegence, as if it was so unobtainable to them. The majority of what i've seen from my generation lack the simplest forms of intellegence and common sense and don't give a crap half the time about where they end up or what they are doing, because they lack ambition and just strive for immediete satisfaction...usually in the form of weed, drinking, or bitching to everyone about their problems that they do nothing about. There are very few exceptions (including myself), the criteria i usually use for the people i hang out with or the people i want to meet is that they don't fit this stereotype.

As i got into college i've noticed somewhat of a decrease in this, but still an abundance of idiocy amongst those either the same age as me or a year older or younger. So to those on the board who are the same age as myself or close enough, this dosen't neccesarily pertain to you. In fact my expectations are that any of you are much smarter then 75% of the people around here.

That's my major gripe really, my generation's lack of sense, intellegence, and direction. This dosen't mean every member, but the vast majority.

i dotn really quite see our future laying the hands of present leaders, quite so much as i do see it laying in our own.

as far as that goes, i see our future in a bitter-sweet type of way. Yes the economy isnt doing so hot right now, heck, it could take another heavy plunge soon. But it wont last. Soon, i just know that our economy is gonna be back up and runnig smoothly. yah, war is taking its tolls on it, and will continue for a while even after the fighting is over.
The political system wil change little. it will probably still be a little corrupt, and not as effective as it should be. but still "kinda" get the job done.
i see a the government/economy as a whole doing fairly well by 2020.
However, as far as the society goes, thats where i see the bad stuff. i see morality, family values, family life, value of life, and every thing related, all taking a nosedive. thats all im gonna say, thats all i can say with out having other guys come flaming down on me.

Just got home from school... this is why I think our generation is going down:

1. Ignorance - A lot of kids have the opportunity to learn and do something with their lives, but they choose not to.

2. Carelessness - Most people my age don't care, and I wish I had noticed Derald's post eearlier so I could have said, here's a prime example.

3. Recklessness - It seems like a lot of kids nowadays wanna do stuff they know is wrong just because it's wrong and they wantto get in trouble. Or they just don't care about consequences. The kids I sit with at lunch get high, drunk, AND are suicidal.

4. Past Generations - I rhink that adults haven;t prepared us enough for our responsibilities in life. Perhaps they weren't prepared for their responsibilities either, and that's why.

[quote name='Tical']2. Carelessness - Most people my age don't care, and I wish I had noticed Derald's post eearlier so I could have said, here's a prime example.[/quote]

[size=1]First off, that's not carelessness, that's apathy. Secondly, you have a right to your opinion, he has a right to his.

Personally? I think people who are [i]completely[/i] apathetic are only so because they are in fact ignorant. I think that Derald, on the other hand, is merely stating that he's niether pessimistic nor has super high-hopes for the future, but whatever happens, he's prepared. He's ready. What happens in the world won't change his view of it. He'll remain himself, even if the world goes to pot.

Stop attacking him, m'kay? [;

My opinion differs only slightly from Derald's. I think that what people get out of life is only what they put in. I think being involved in politics, vollunteering, etc. is important, but it is up to every person how they choose to live thier life. If every person was content with thier lives, then there would be nothing to make the world a [i]bad[/i] place. So essentially;

Informed/optimistic/contented apathy > Sadness, or a pessimistic attitude.

I'm semi-content, and I care to some degree, putting me smack-dab in the middle of the chart ;P

To answer the original question of the thread, I believe that it will go on as most generations before ours. There will be new presidents. There will be new ideas. There will be new laws. There may even be a major was of our time, but as for the things that really matter, I think that everyone will just live thier lives like they always have.

Our generation is not the be-all end-all.[/size]

[QUOTE=Derald][FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]"What do I think my generation will do?" There is never complete certainty in predicting the outcome of events, but I will say this: I don't care.

How can I say this? I can say this because, regardless of tomorrow's conditions, regardless of how people live their lives tomorrow, I will feel joy within myself. I am my own being, I have my own life, and that makes me happy. Being happy is all that one needs to live a full life, regardless of what the world might dictate - seeing the world, learning new things, whatever makes you happy.

So, in the end: Whatever tomorrow might bring, I shall be there, and I shall live on knowing that I am happy.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[size=1]I'll second that, The13thMan. People like you, Derald, are why the world is in a continuing downward spiral. Those who say "Whatever happens, I'm happy, and I don't care, because I feel joy within myself" are apathetic in times of the greatest need. I know you're a learned guy, and the world needs people like you to push humankind forward. We don't need people who sit back in contented with their own life, despite the world's suffering. We don't need those who will be happy no matter what, when the world needs change.

Anyway, I look to tomorrow with great hope. I hope that the world will change for the better, and that I can play some small part in it. I want to do something to move humankind forward -- I think that's the meaning of life.[/size]

Guest Stafal-chan
~_~ nyahah my generation i'm gonna say is doomed haha :animeswea we're all a buncha idiots... :animeswea i could post all the things that have been written about my school alone...they're amusin but sadly true ^_^ actually i guess if i dig them up i will...there's actually one about my class... here i'll post it ^_^
Peace, pot, tequila shot,
Jesus loves you stoned or not.
Sex, drugs, rock and roll,
Speed, weed, birth control.
Life's a ***** then you die,
Stoners choke but still get high,
Party hardy, rock and roll,
We're the class you can't control.
The guys are pimpin' girls are great,
Three cheers for the badass class of '08!
...^_^ there's more about my entire school too i have to find that one ^_^

[quote name='Touchstone][FONT=Georgia']I worry that we won't find an energy system to replace oil, or find one equally as bad. I worry that our planet will die and my children will receive our mistakes. [/FONT][/quote]

[color=crimson]The former can be avoided easily if we want to. The latter ['our planet will die'] seems rather melodramatic at best.[/color]

[quote name='The13thMan][FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]Derald, i personally think people like you are largly the problem of our generation.[/COLOR'] [/FONT][/quote]

[color=crimson]Eh, not so much. I'm sure there are bigger problems than people who are content with their existence, hm?[/color]

[quote name='The13thMan][FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]I also believe that all of the people that don't care in my generation will go on to have nothing to do with politics, which is good.[/COLOR'] [/FONT][/quote]

[color=crimson]And someone like you going into politics is barely better.[/color]

[quote name='Tical']2. Carelessness - Most people my age don't care, and I wish I had noticed Derald's post eearlier so I could have said, here's a prime example.[/quote]

[color=crimson]No.. his post is [i]not[/i] a prime example of that, lol. His post is an example of someone who is content with existing, no matter what the environments around him are. He does not take for granted the snippet of time he has and values it greatly- he plans to spend it on learning new things, seeing new things and doing new things. It's not the same as trying to change the world for the 'better' but it's nothing to condemn him for, lol.[/color]

[quote name='sakurasuka][size=1']To answer the original question of the thread, I believe that it will go on as most generations before ours. [/size][/quote]

[color=crimson]And the generations before ours have set the stage for what we have to work with and deal with. This isn't just our present- it's someone else's past.

To make the world a better place doesn't require the majority of 'my' generation to be active world-changing people. It requires a small group of people who can lead and want to do so. I think we have that- even in this thread I'm sure there are a couple of would-be leaders. Now, will those leaders improve the situation of our country and affect the world? Hopefully.

Until then we are, apparently, going down the dark and dreary road to apocalypse-esque situations. How scary.[/color]

[COLOR=#004a6f]I used to feel quite pessimistic about our generation's future. I see people all the time who just don't care about the future, or contributing to their society, but then again a lot of us were like that when we were young.

We're all human, and we all mature and enter adulthood, and eventually those who don't give a damn about the future will. I always used to feel that our generation was much too ignorant and stupid to preserve the knowledge humans have aquired over time, but I don't think so anymore. Being in university and seeing so many students exel in their studies and so many students going into fields that I used to think peopel in our generation will never consider (such as dentistry) gives me new hopes.

Our generation is smart, and we are capable. Every generation will have its problems and our children will learn from any mistakes we make and they will progress, just as we will learn from the mistakes of the older generations and we will progress.[/COLOR]

[color=crimson]No.. his post is [i]not[/i] a prime example of that, lol. His post is an example of someone who is content with existing, no matter what the environments around him are. He does not take for granted the snippet of time he has and values it greatly- he plans to spend it on learning new things, seeing new things and doing new things. It's not the same as trying to change the world for the 'better' but it's nothing to condemn him for, lol.[/color]
color][/QUOTE]

Sorry... I guess I didn't really think when i was reading it. Also, I wasn't necessarily attacking him. I can't blame people for not caring... sometimes I'm the same way. It just seems like there's all this responsibility falling on you, and it gets heavy to the point where your fed up with carrying it.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]Well, I can see that most of you have had your shot at me, and I don't mind. After all, I guess I really don't do much to 'better' humankind, as most of you put it, but politics and the economy are not the only thing going to waste here. The overall moral values of people have declined over the years, so, try as you might, you won't do much to better lives by just focusing on money and 'the way to govern others' as proposed by several others earlier. I ,however, will not pick at you. I will not look down at you. If it makes you happy, then you keep on going.

As for those who tried to defend my point of view, I thank you and greatly appreciate your insight.

Later.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia]Wow, I didn't think this would turn into such a highly contentious debate! These were merely just some of my musings. It's been fun reading the result.

My mind's perception of the coming future often changes with where I'm at in the present. At that time, I looked ahead and saw the black cloud of pessimism. Today, I see the starry horizon of hope. Hope that our generation will grow up and mature, work, have families, love. As Derald said, it's not only politics.

But I think that while we grow we have a chance to mold ourselves and those around us. Our actions, however insignificant they may seem, have a large impact on the outcome of a life. A group of boys bullied me one year and that still hangs over me today at almost seventeen. We have a chance to overcome our parents' failures and to rise above and make a new stance in this world, one that doesn't involve deception and bloodshed.

I'm going to beat you to it and say this is sappy, but it's the truth. I want our generation to stand up and fight apathy, ignorance, and hate! Maybe then the next generation will see this and continue on better than ourselves. Because only in increments can the future get better. [/FONT]

[color=darkgreen][size=1]

There seems to be a debate about how much involvement one should take in their generations future. But our generation would include dozens of millions of people, so one person's actions, or lack of, isn't going to effect us on a large scale in the future. For me, I side with [B]Derald[/B] a little more than others. I feel that each person and individual was born with the right to do what makes them happy and content with their lives. Now if that means taking action to make our generation greater than our predecessors, then more power to you. If that happiness involves your own personal self discovery and individual achievements, then that is your business.

For me? I don't meddle with affairs larger than myself, unless they directly affect me. I don't want to be criticized for what my beliefs are, so I keep them to myself until asked about them. So, when I grow older, my ambitions for my life are to learn as much about the world as I can in order to build on to the knowledge I already have. Whether my generation will be the best or worst in a long line of generations isn't going to be decided on what I do alone. If I am a part of something larger, than maybe I will be remembered for that contribution. But when I leave the Earth, I want to be remembered as somebody who did what they believed in, not what my generation's accomplishments were.

Yes, I worry sometimes about how our young generation will result. But when I think about it, I think our generation will be in good hands. We're a generation of mostly open minded people, who have tried to correct the mistakes of those before us. Our generation is the first one in the 21st Century, so our generation will be left with major technilogical and scientific advancements that will ultimatley work in our benefit. As long as we learn from our past's mistakes, we should be able to avoid them in our future.

That's me.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]First of all I think people were missing what [B]Derald[/B] was trying to say. There?s nothing wrong with having an attitude that in spite of the negative things happening I won?t let it drag me down. Not once did [B]Derald[/B] say he wasn?t going to do anything. You don?t have to be part of some big movement or political stance to make the world a better place. I think that people often get so caught up in thinking they are a part of the big picture that they forget the little unnoticed things that make a difference.

Like conserving water, recycling, using light bulbs that take less energy. Making sure to vote on the issues you understand. All of these are little things that make a difference. For myself I actually intend to be a vet. I want to work with organizations to help end animal cruelty and further educate people on caring for their pets. It?s not a grand scheme but I think it?s important.

As for other world issues, if I can help I will, but I?m not going to lose any sleep if it?s something I can?t really do anything about.
[/COLOR]

I just thought I'd add some more thoughts...

The majority of us are still young. I'm (almost) 20, and considered an adult, and although I am more conscious of the things that are going on around me I still don't know everything. We are still learning about existing in our worlds as the people we want to become. Nevertheless, we are the building blocks of our future, and in the end, there will be some of us who will change the world for the better, and some of us who won't.

I'd like to be the humanitarian I feel I am at heart, but some of the issues plaguing (sp?) the world today are just too big for me. Like many of you, I wonder "What can an insignificant person like me do to make my country and the world better for everyone?" I don't know the answer to that question yet, but hopefully I will be able to put what I learn in the future and have learned in the past to good use, and at least play a part in providing a happy future for our kids, our parents, our friends and loved ones, as well as everyone else in this world.

I feel like I'm spouting self-righteous ideals sometimes, and I've actually gotten into a heated debate with my boyfriend because he feels that my ideals are out of touch with whats happening today. But I feel that if people have these ideals and can strive for them, surely good things will come out of them eventually.
Everything starts with an idea.

Or perhaps I've just been watching way too much Gundam Seed. I don't know. :animeswea

[QUOTE=Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]First of all I think people were missing what [B]Derald[/B] was trying to say. There?s nothing wrong with having an attitude that in spite of the negative things happening I won?t let it drag me down. Not once did [B]Derald[/B] say he wasn?t going to do anything. You don?t have to be part of some big movement or political stance to make the world a better place. I think that people often get so caught up in thinking they are a part of the big picture that they forget the little unnoticed things that make a difference.

Like conserving water, recycling, using light bulbs that take less energy. Making sure to vote on the issues you understand. All of these are little things that make a difference. For myself I actually intend to be a vet. I want to work with organizations to help end animal cruelty and further educate people on caring for their pets. It?s not a grand scheme but I think it?s important.

As for other world issues, if I can help I will, but I?m not going to lose any sleep if it?s something I can?t really do anything about.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1]It's more of the "I'm ignorant and proud" thing that everyone pounced on him about. It's rather ignorant to be happy about the world when it really is a sad, unfair place.[/size]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']It's more of the "I'm ignorant and proud" thing that everyone pounced on him about. It's rather ignorant to be happy about the world when it really is a sad, unfair place.[/size][/quote]

Well they don't say ignorance is bliss for no reason. Being ignorant willingly is the easy way out and being ignorant simply because you don't know should be reason enough to educate yourself. But many people perfer ignorance because they either lack the brain capacity for intricate thinking or just simply prefer the simple to the detailed which is only a problem if the person is aware and apathetic, and therefore fear that nothing they say or do will make a difference or they just feel as if it dosen't concern them. In my eyes it isn't an insult to be called ignorant, the same way it isn't an insult to call a dead man dead or a handicapped man handicapped.

So i agree that it is a serious problem if one's thinking patterns is contrary to reality to the extent where they prefer delusion.

Everyone that talked bad about Derald --

Derald had his own thoughts. It is his choice if he does or doesn't do anything.
If you want to do something, do something. Derald doesn't have to do it with you.
If you want someone to do what you do, just do what you think is right.
You will make someone happy and what to be like you.
Yet if you try to make that person sad, they would rather leave you alone.
So Derald can do what he will, you will do yours.

So, what do I think about my generation?
I know I can do something about it.
Yet I can't change the past of my generation, I can surely cange the future.
If the future is in my hands, I am not going to mess up.
I know the path I am going to take is the right one.
No matter what happends.
I am going to change this generation for the better.

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']It's more of the "I'm ignorant and proud" thing that everyone pounced on him about. It's rather ignorant to be happy about the world when it really is a sad, unfair place.[/size][/quote]

[size=1]He didn't claim [i]proud ignorance[/i], he claimed [i]contented apathy[/i]. There is an enormous difference.

I still say everyone should just do what they can to be happy with thier lives. Out of happiness grows a caring, sharing attitude that really can change this world for the better.

But really, all you people who just think you can change the world on your own are wrong. There are problems with the world, but it really doesn't need some drastic change.

Hitler thought he had good ideas for the world. He wanted to change it for the better. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Also, all of us will eventually die. There is no changing that. And in some future, be it near or very far, the human race will end. I believe it will end by God's means, but for those who don't, let's say a meteor hits the Earth. We're going to die out eventually.

The best possible motto is to be [i]in[/i] the world, not [i]of[/i] it. Be content within yourself. That's really all you can do.[/size]