OtakuBoards

What do you do when the power goes out?

CyberPandaLove

My power went out too for a few hours because of the hellish weather where I am but I found several things to occupy my bored little mind...

1) Call people who I haven't talked to in years on my cell phone. :blah:

2) Torture my little brothers because their simply annoying. :animeangr

3) Play my ds until my eyes hurt or the energy gets low :animestun ...which ever comes first.

4) Sleep the day away :sleep:

...and those are the things I do on such a day.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Whenever the electricity goes out here I like to play my PSP. If it happens to be undercharged, or dies while I'm playing it, I listen to CDs. If my batteries run out, or it's too dark to see what I'm doing, I usually just go to sleep. I love sleeping without power, it sort of makes me feel rugged and manly, like a pilgrim lol. The electricity rarely goes off for very long here though, which is strange because we have a fair share of tornadoes come through. The longest I can recall it being out is like an hour and a half.[/COLOR]

:animedepr when the power goes out around my place i grab as many manga as i can and find any light sorce or go outside and wait untill the power comes back on and i can get on my computer and be happy again! OR when the power goes off at night i usually hide in the cloests around my houser and wait for someone to come looking for me :catgirl: teheh then i hop out with some form of "Spookie" ITem like a kunai or a creepy mask :animesigh Thought the one time i scared my sister so much she kinda ran towars the stairs...then kinda fell down them :animeswea If im not reading or hiding in closets...im probably looking for my old gamboy and what ever games i can round up.... :animeswea :D :D

the power doesn't go out too often, but if it does I can do any of the following
1) sleep
2) watch anime on my portable DVD player
3) go biking (really fun when the power's out because of ice)
4) read
5) be bored out of my mind ( i try to avoid this one)

[SIZE=1]In my knowledge, power outages usually involves a storm of some sort. And, when in a storm, I turn into the biggest freak around. I will actually stand [i]outside[/i] during a storm, just so I can enjoy it.

And...that isn't the usual case.

I normally find myself reading. Or, as what happened in my home in PA multiple times, I'd go outside at sunset and catch fireflies. Get out the flashlight, light some candles, and comforting the animals was also always high on my priority list, because it's dang hard to read a book by flashlight.

Since moving to Florida, we haven't had any power outages. I'm a little bit bummed, because no power + hurricane = a ton of fun. :animesmil [/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
when ever the power goes out, i enjoy going to houses in the neighboorhood (QUESTION NOT MY SPEILIN) and run from window to window it a candle while wearing my goofy ninja suit, tapping on windows, and screaming at little kids in thier rooms..........i need a life....... :animecry:

Well for me I just sit down at the table with candles sweat my butt off and complain that the powers out. And I usually bond with the mom. We get more talkative for some reoson. One time I got up when it was pitch black and went to my binder. I made a fan out of paper. Then when the power came back I yelled yes. (in my head)

[size=1][font=georgia]I wait. Then wait more. Then wait even more. If I'm tired of waiting, I'll wander around the house and drift along, sometimes bonding with my cat. When I get sleepy enough, I go to bed and go to sleep.

It's usually in the evening my power is out, or late at night/early in the morning, so it's basically dark as hell and sometimes I get so nervous I nearly suffocate myself under my covers. Once I was so freaked out and I believed someone was actually by my bedside my imagination conjoured up some ugly looking female standing right beside my bed. Didn't sleep very well that night. >>[/size][/font]

when the power is out sadly it isnt... very cool because my dad just says "oh ok" goes into the back yard fires up our large generator and we are watcihng dvds playing computer and microwaving hot pockets in no time

*sigh* So much for quiet nights with a book and candle.

[QUOTE=Kanariya][size=1][font=georgia]I wait. Then wait more. Then wait even more. If I'm tired of waiting, I'll wander around the house and drift along, sometimes bonding with my cat. When I get sleepy enough, I go to bed and go to sleep.

It's usually in the evening my power is out, or late at night/early in the morning, so it's basically dark as hell and sometimes I get so nervous I nearly suffocate myself under my covers. Once I was so freaked out and I believed someone was actually by my bedside my imagination conjoured up some ugly looking female standing right beside my bed. Didn't sleep very well that night. >>[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Know how you feel. One time I heard weird voices in my head. And I remembered an EVP (electronic voice phenomonon) from Ghost hunters on Sci-fi. Darn my love for everything supernatural! :mad:

I generally assume a panicked look and run around in circles, arms flailing in the air, screaming like a distraught chimpanzee.

No, really, I do.

One time I was in the middle of writing a 10-page essay on Word and I hadn't saved since I started... you can guess the rest. Curse you, faulty power lines.

When the power goes out, I thank god for my nifty MP3 player and sit on my bed, staring at the ceiling, listening to Angels & Airwaves while contemplating the meaning of life. But I do that when the power's on, too, so I guess there's not much difference. Then, if there's still light, I might read a book or (gasp!) do homework; if not, I sit hitting the power button on my TV hoping something will happen.

[COLOR=Sienna]The power has been going on and off all day due to a big rain storm with thunder and the whole shebang. The power is on and will likely be out before I finish this post, but I might as well try. In the spare time I've had with no power, I've read about 100 pages of H. G. Wells' An Outline of History, mostly concerning the development of early Mesopotamian and Indian civilizations. Terribly enlightening stuff, H. G. Wells can make an already interesting subject (World history) even more interesting, and as such my time without power hasn't been quite so unbearable. Plus the radio has been working through all the static and I can still get my toonskies.

Got to go before I lose power again! [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=4]
[B]
CURSE YOU NEPTUNE! ON THE NIGHT OF THE BIG GAME ASWELL! THIS BETTER CLEAR UP![/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

As long as it doesn't go out when I'm taking a shower or using the bathroom then I'm just fine, because I find that a bit scary and start to freak out like crazy, lol. But usually I just find something to do in the dark and such, otherwise I go to sleep because with no electricity or anything visible to occupy my time then its off to sleepy land for me.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]So far every time the power has gone off it?s usually been at night. So other than to realize that my fan has quit working I usually just turn over and go right back to sleep. Occasionally it happens during the day, but since most of my computer time is spent on a laptop the battery keeps me from losing any information. I just turn it off and go read or do some yard work.

When I?ve been at work, I usually have a deck of playing cards and in that case I either sit and chat with a fellow co-worker or pull out my cards and play solitaire until the power comes back on. It's kind of fun when it happens at work since you're getting paid to just sit there and do nothing.[/COLOR]

i basically...PANIC for 3 reasons.

1. OMGAH NO COMPUTER!!
2. ITS SO FREAKIN DARK.
3. MY PARENTS REFUSE TO BUY FLASHLIGHTS

so when the power goes out...i run out of my room screaming my head off with my sister...out on the hallway till my mom tells us to be quiet. anyways. (after the screaming part, i just lie on my bed listening to music on either my ipod or psp. whichever ones not dead)

[size=1]Usually when the lights go out at my house, it's because of a nice big [u]thunderstorm[/u]. Since I live out in the country, about 10kms from the nearest town, our power is only supplied by one set of power lines. These power lines are right next to a long line of gum-trees. So you can assume that our power goes out regularly.

Anyhow, my sisters and I usually play poker or blackjack or spoons with each other. Sometimes we play Cheat too (that's the PG version of the name for that game). We use matches for betting and the one that loses all their matches first has to do a nudie run outside. Mind you we start with a lot of matches, so usually it doesn't happen. Other times we just sit on the verandah and watch the lightning. Reminds me of a song.

[b]" Out on the patio, we sit. And the humidity, we breathe. We watch the lightning, crack over cane fields. Laugh and think, this is Australia!"[/b]

^^[/size]

Guest D. Resurrected
When the powers out I ether

A: play gameboy

or

B: play card games such as UFS or Magic The Gathering

When the power goes out, I always sit around and wait for it to come back on. Or, somtimes it stays off for a long time. One time, the power went out and everyone was disoriented. I ended up looking for a toilet in the dark because I had to go to the bathroom. I took me a while, but I found it. That is what I do when the power goes out.

[COLOR=SeaGreen]The power doesn?t really go off very often around here. Most of the time it?s been at night, though admittedly when it does it?s rather annoying. I run a fan at night because otherwise my overeager dog who in spite of being rather tiny, thinks she is a watchdog and barks like mad at everything. o_O Which is why I run a fan, when it?s running she can?t hear outside noises as easily and so it keeps her from deciding to bark at one of our neighbor?s who gets home around one am from work.

If it?s during the day I just read a book or take my dog on another walk. Sometimes, if it?s because of a thunder storm, then my mom and I will get in the car and she drives about a mile to an overlook and we sit in the car and watch the storm. And since my dog is spoiled, she gets to go with us. ^_^[/COLOR]