OtakuBoards

What do you do when the power goes out?

CyberPandaLove

A few days ago my power was shut off,and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.It gave me a chance to read while the sun was still out and I had downloaded some new music on to my ipod before the power was shut off.But come night fall there was nothing to do.So my mother and decided to joke around like making comments on the loud people who get high next to our house (I can't say some of the comments here >.> <.<)

So I was wondering what other people do when they have no power. ^.^

[size=1][color=slategray]Generally I lay on the couch and talk with my sister, light some candles. But that is when it's night. I also raid the fridge of spoilable items, so no food is wasted in the absence of power.
One time I got out my hand-held Tetris game and just played it for three hours. Oh man, after that, every time I closed my eyes, all I could see were those little block clusters falling. It was even worse when I tried to fall asleep, because then the music played in the background. >.< Damn you, Tetris. XD[/color][/size]

[quote name='Bláse][size=1][color=slategray]Every time I closed my eyes, all I could see were those little block clusters falling.[/color'][/size][/quote]

That happends to me alot if I play a game more that 3 hours in one sitting >>
Gladly it only happend to me 3 times XD

What do I do?
I go play football with my brothers :)
I talk with them...
Thats about it, since there is nothing else to do.

We bond more when theres nothing to do >>

Its greatness :)

[QUOTE=Metroid Lover ;)]
So my mother and decided to joke around[/quote]

I'm glad that you did something with your mother!

Why does it seem that familys bond more when the Powers goes out?
[^Don't answer that]

Guest Ritsuka
Um, well I go outside even if the whole area doesn't have any power... I actually like it when the power goes out because you can stay outside and enjoy the small, cool breezes that pass by and cool you down... Well, that's what I think...

[COLOR=Sienna]Cry...

When it gets dark though, I like to walk around in the darkness with a barbecue lighter and randomly flick it on when someone walks near me. Sometimes people come over and I stand behind the door and flick it on, it makes me look really creepy and sometimes it'll startel people. Thats about all I do.

Oh, and I play Risk if I have anyone to play with. [/COLOR]

Hm, depends on the time of day. One time we lifted weights and drove 30 mins to our dad's house because he had power and we didn't. Stayed the night, went back to our house and lifted weights and stuff again. Jumped on the trampoline... Basically everything we would normally do but when the sun started going down we drove to dad's house. Fun.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]What does Mr. Fury do if the power goes:

1. unplug bass from amp and play in front of the window[I mean I need light to see what I'm doing]

2. play with one of the three dogs[they like my laser pointer....]

3. walk around the neighbourhood with friends

4. check if my girlfriend is ok[well she aint my gf, but i worry about her]

when it's dark:

numbers: one[not in front of a window, out in the front yard] and number three.

5. listen to my psp.[and get lost in bass solo...>_>']

6. sleep.

7. walk with my gf[or sometimes the girl I'm "assigned" to watch over] in the park.[makes me feel a little bit better]

8. get on motor scooters and paintball other people's property, with my friends[pure enjoyment]

9. sit in the lounge and talk with my friends and gf.[albeit we cant see each other, it's still something to do, to prevent us to go to sleep]

10. skate[it's better if you have a personal light source...]

thank you for your time.

Leon.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

What do I do when the power goes out? I either listen to my mp3 player or watch anime on my portable dvd player. And when they run out of charged battery power I pray for the electricity to come back on. I'm hopeless without technology.

I would go to a closet, get into the feeble position, and think about bananas with machetes while rocking bback and forth(just kidding).
Really I would light some candles in my room and read my favorite book(Inkheart)or my favorite manga(Naruto).

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]^.....uh...o.o

Anyways, the first thing that I ever do when the power goes out. (which it did alot when I still lived in California) was have a lightsaber fight with a flashlight It was fun doing that in the dark and it always made my head spin.

Then after my burst of energy was over, I would just go and play some portable game system till the power came back, that or read a book, books are fun.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]It's strange. I live in Florida, so we've been getting a lot of hurricanes over the past years. But not once during all of the storms has the power gone out! I consider myself lucky. Of course, the day after the hurricane, the power goes out for ten minutes, comes back on for five, goes back off for ten, and repeats the process. The power has never really gone off for very long. Normally, if I'm feeling silly, I'll scream, and my sisters will scream as well. It usually comes back on right after that.

Once, during a very bad storm (just a regular seasonal storm), I was using the computer and a huge spark just flew out at me when a loud thunder clap boomed. I don't think the power went off, but it was pretty scary. I thought I was gon' die!

If the power went off at school, we'd stay in the same classroom until it came back on. Nearly everyday I prayed for the power to go off in third period (my drama class) last school year, and it never did. Bah! We would've just sat there in the dark, getting hot, feeling hungry, sensing cabin fever. Oh, that would've been lovely.[/FONT]

[font=trebuchet ms]Usually, when the power goes out, I dust off the Magic: the Gathering cards and invite firends over. Me and this friend of mine have been known to go out and buy a few of those large tournament packs of cards, as well as some boosters. Basically, we'd take all the land cards out and put them in the middle for people to take from later, then we'd pass a few cards around, selecting one at a time and so forth. Then we'd pass pacls of the expansions sets around for some extra help, then try to build the best possible deck and win with it. The winner got to keep his deck and me and the aforementioned partner-in-crime would split the rest, since we didn't charge.

I've also been in a friend's house while the power was out and we had a nice candle-lit game of Dungeons and Dragons. I did have that classic moment where my mom walks down the basement steps to pick me up from the place and we're all in hoodies and blankets while talking about elves. XD

Too bad I haven't had power since getting my Nintendo DS or my laptop. Well, not really.[/font]

Well, I always love it cuz it gives me a chance to relax, get over my addiction to electronics, and rest a bit. Maybe meditate. Assuming I can find a quiet place away from my complacent brothers. If it stays out for a long time my bros and I will play indoor capture the flag (not the smartest game ever).

Unless it's daytime. Then it just plain sucks.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]well let's see, i cradle myself in the darkest corner while eating cornflakes O.O
Nah, i'm kidding.

Well, the last time the power went out, was during a storm, i remember my friends being there.
We started talking about crap, then we got bored so we went outside, even though the storm was still going on. We are such idiots, thankfully non of us got harmed, but we were acting kinda hyper?...uh yeah, we started scaring my mom by telling her that vampires were waiting under her bed. She's terrified of vampires for some reason, it was fun. After we kinda got bored so we started playing blind chicken,lol.
I tripped like 14 times.
>___<, that hasn't happened for ages though.[/FONT]

This happened to me the other night, I got home and my whole building was out of power.
I was bummed out because I wanted to watch Reboot and it was on at 11. But it was only like 10:15.
So I lit some candles, got out my flashlight, played some GBA, played solitaire, and read my book.
But after a while I got bored and lied down. I looked at the time and it was 10:57. And I was like "Please, just let the power come back on in the next 5 minutes..."
and I lied down and closed my eyes, and a couple minutes later, the higher powers were like "LET THERE BE LIGHT!"
I was happy. Just in time for Reboot too!

This happened Thursday for about a good 3 - 7 hours because of a storm. (Tornado watch to go with it... So I'm pissed and frightened at the same time.) I can't really say that I do much because I'd be lying if I did.

Only thing I really do when my power goes out is either joke around with my family or sit there, BORED AS HELL!

I'm pretty sure y'all remember that blackout that happened in so many states. That was during the summer so when we were outside we usually played flashlight tag (at night) or something crazy.

The thing I hate about blackouts in the summer is that I can't sleep worth a lick because it's so hot, and I'd be so sweaty.

Last summer there were some horrible thunder storms here, and one Friday night a lightning struck our antenna so that the whole three-floor building shook. Electricity went down at the same, but it was quickly restored. It was a damn long weekend without television, though.

[COLOR=Sienna]Oh, I just remembered one particular story.

On a rather windy day, the wind blew down a tree outside my house. I'm talking really, REALLY windy. We live in a heavily forested area. A big, BIG ******* tree came down on the power-lines, aswell as blocking the road. The thing is, we live in the middle of nowhere. As such, we're not on top of HydroQuebec's priority list. There were blackouts across the province and we didn't get power back for 5 days.

Ok, let me get something across to you people. Me and my computer are TIGHT. If my computer was a woman, I would make sweet, sweet love to it with Barry White music and wine and a kinky butler and everything, on one of those heart-shaped beds. So yea, I like my computer. When I was 5 days without my computer, I was like a heroin addict in withdrawl... I spent about 5 hours one time just pressing the 'On' button, hoping againts hope the motion would generate some static electricty and cause my computer to come back to life, even if just for a moment.

When this engaging task was not consuming my time, I normally read. I read In Search of Lost Time, The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, Lolita, and the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. That is perhaps the most enlightening collection of literature this side of Alexandria, right? Well, the second the power came back on I instantly forgot everything I had learned and reverted to my computerphillia in a matter of moments. Fun, isn't it?[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna]Oh, I just remembered one particular story.

Ok, let me get something across to you people. Me and my computer are TIGHT. If my computer was a woman, I would make sweet, sweet love to it with Barry White music and wine and a kinky butler and everything, on one of those heart-shaped beds.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'd just love to be a guest at your house; I would really pay to see someone attempt that.

And what I do? I read; I admit I'm a bit of a nerd with books and comics so I catch up on whatever I've hired out from the Library.

[color=indigo][size=1][font=veranda]Well.. The place where I live at doesn't have the power go out very often. In fact, that's happened only about two or three times. [One of those times I was using Microsoft Word to type out an idea for a fanfic and I was almost done writing when the computer flickered off. I just sorta stared at it while a vein throbbed in my forehead and my eye started twitching before I -calmly- raised a fist and punched the wall beside me. Hard.]

When it does happen, though, my sister starts freaking out and running around the whole house, looking for spare batteries to put in any flashlights lying around without a battery. Why she bothers to do that, I do not know. She already has about four flashlights ready just in case something like that happens, and she keeps a candle and a lighter in her room, too. I just watch my sister running around for a while then grab a booklight from under my pillow [I keep a booklight under my pillow just in case I can't sleep and I don't want to get out of bed to turn on the lights; it's too troublesome, and it's very likely I'll stumble over something on my way to the light switch, since it's usually two in the morning during a school night.[Or is it day?]], and start reading whichever book that just happens to be near me, or I'll just fall asleep on the couch and wait until the storm's gone and the power's restored.[/color][/size][/font]