OtakuBoards

Frequently Asked Questions

Petie

[font="Verdana"][color="blue"]Recently, we've had a lot of the same questions repeated many times so I decided to put together the answers to all of them in one place. This FAQ will continue to grow as time goes on so before you create a new thread to ask a question, check here first to see if it has already been answered.[/color][/font]

[b][font="Verdana"][color="blue"]Q: How do I make my myOtaku background transparent?[/color][/font][/b]
[font="Verdana"][color="blue"][b]A:[/b] Go to your [url="http://www.myotaku.com/account/styles/"]Edit Styles[/url] page and fill in #xxxxxx for Border Color, Inner Background Color, [i]and[/i] Menu Color. Please note that this trick only works on myOtaku sites.[/color][/font]

[b] [/b][b][font="Verdana"][color="blue"]Q: Why doesn't OtakuBoards have an official chat room?[/color][/font][/b]
[font="Verdana"][color="blue"][b]A:[/b] Although this may be a possibility in the distant future, don't expect it to happen anytime soon. OB's emphasis on quality, in terms of features and moderation as well as general discussion, makes it difficult to implement any type of live chat. On the other hand, we've had many unofficial chat rooms in the past (which were created using programs like AIM). For further information on this topic, please check out [thread=53668]these[/thread] thread=52251]threads[/thread]. [b]Update:[/b] While it is not an official OB chat room, if you've been a member over at theOtaku.com for more than three months, you have access to [url="http://www.theotaku.com/chat"]theOtaku's chat room[/url] where you'll also find many OB members.
[/color][/font]
[b][font="Verdana"][color="blue"]Q: Why isn't there a spam/flaming forum?[/color][/font][/b]
[font="Verdana"][color="blue"][b]A:[/b] For the same reason that we don't currently have an official chat room. We strive to uphold fairly high standards, and creating a spam forum would be self-defeating.[/color][/font]

[b][font="Verdana"][color="blue"]Q: What are the different member titles?[/color][/font][/b]
[font="Verdana"][color="blue"][b]A:[/b] While we used to have a larger variety of member titles, we've eliminated that system in favor of two basic groups: New Members and Members. You're counted as a new member from the time you join until you have 50 posts, and from thence forward, you'll be a member. Along with that, you also have a Custom Title; by clicking on [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/profile.php?do=editprofile"]Edit Profile[/url], you can set it to pretty much anything you like. The custom title option is basically there for fun. [b]Update:[/b] As you may have noticed, there is now a new "Senior Member" title as well. This may be just the start of a series of new titles to come. While we've given you the post-count requirement for the first title, the rest shall remain a mystery...[/color][/font]

[b][font="Verdana"][color="blue"]Q: Am I allowed to post an introduction thread?[/color][/font][/b]
[font="Verdana"][color="blue"][b]A:[/b] No, but you are allowed to introduce yourself. While we encourage you to jump right into conversations, we do have an [thread=57985]Introduction Thread[/thread] which you can use to introduce yourself. So, while you can't post your own introduction thread, feel free to say hello there.[/color][/font]

[b][font="Verdana"][color="#0000ff"]Q: Can I change my username?[/color][/font][/b]
[font="Verdana"][color="#0000ff"][b]A:[/b] Yes but you can't do it yourself. To change your username, send a PM to [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=6651"]Dagger[/url], [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=684"]Desbreko[/url], or [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=8750"]me[/url] (click the links to send PMs). Since there are only two or three people changing usernames though, please do not abuse the privilege.[/color][/font]

[font="Verdana"][color="#0000ff"][b]Q: How do I display a link to my theOtaku portfolio in my posts?[/b][/color][/font]
[font="Verdana"][color="#0000ff"][b]A:[/b] Simply go to the [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/profile.php?do=editprofile"]Edit Profile[/url] page and fill out the textbox under "theOtaku User Name." This will display a link to your portfolio in all of your posts as well as in your profile. By filling out the textbox right below it, labeled "myOtaku User Name," you can also provide a link to your myOtaku page in your profile.[/color][/font]

[font="Verdana"][color="blue"]If you have any other questions that are not covered here, please PM me or reply to this thread and I'll put them up. Thanks to Dagger for helping to put this thread together.[/color][/font]

• 1 year later...
[font=franklin gothic medium]As far as I know, comment layouts on myOtaku can not be edited. Sorry about that. Perhaps in the new version this will be a feature, but I really have no idea.

Also perhaps we should edit the introductions part of this thread to link to the introductions thread in Otaku Lounge. That setup really seems to be working very well.[/font]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]James is correct - the layout of the comment box cannot be edited in the current version.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]And I completely forgot about that thread. I'll update that question now.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#4B0082]Animated avatars are allowed (I just went and checked the settings again), though they still have to be 50 kB or under. If the gif you're trying to use meets the size requirements, I'm not sure why the animation isn't working. Can you post it so I can take a look at it?[/color]

[color=#4B0082]That would be the problem, then. The max size for avatars is 150x80, so it's 20 pixels too tall. As such, it's getting resized by the board and loses the animation (and the transparency) in the process.

Here's a resized 80x80 version if you want to use it:[/color]

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9585/villekarma2yp2.gif[/img]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]That would be the problem, then. The max size for avatars is 150x80, so it's 20 pixels too tall. As such, it's getting resized by the board and loses the animation (and the transparency) in the process.

Here's a resized 80x80 version if you want to use it:[/color]

[img]http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9585/villekarma2yp2.gif[/img][/QUOTE]

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

• 5 months later...
[CENTER][COLOR="Red"]Okay, I looked around nothing seemed to answer my question. In the worlds on the, theOtaku site, how do I post in there? I made two of them, and I still haveint figured it out yet lol.[/COLOR] [/CENTER]

[quote name='Kamishu'][center][COLOR=red]Okay, I looked around nothing seemed to answer my question. In the worlds on the, theOtaku site, how do I post in there? I made two of them, and I still haveint figured it out yet lol.[/COLOR] [/center][/quote]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Assuming you're starting out from the home page[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue], start by clicking on Backroom in the box on the right side of screen. Next, towards the top under the header image (a dark blue row), click on Post. Select the World you want to post to with the Add to World drop down, fill out the rest of the form (not all fields are mandatory), and click Add Post.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[CENTER][quote name='Petie'][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Assuming you're starting out from the home page[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue], start by clicking on Backroom in the box on the right side of screen. Next, towards the top under the header image (a dark blue row), click on Post. Select the World you want to post to with the Add to World drop down, fill out the rest of the form (not all fields are mandatory), and click Add Post.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Red"]Yay, I got it thank you very much![/COLOR] :animesmil[/CENTER]

• 7 months later...
[size=1]The page that should fix this is the [b][url=http://www.otakuboards.com/profile.php?do=editoptions]Edit Options[/url][/b] ([url=http://www.otakuboards.com/profile.php?do=editoptions]linkage[/url]) page. There is an option to "Show Signatures" which, when selected, should solve your problem.

Otherwise, you might not have the "Show your signature" box ticked when you actually post?[/size]

• 2 months later...
[quote=Petie][B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]Q: Can I change my username?[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff][B]A:[/B] Yes but you can't do it yourself. To change your username, PM one of the Admins. [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=6651"]Dagger[/URL] and [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=684"]Desbreko[/URL] (click the links to send them PMs) usually handle these requests. Since there are only two or three people changing usernames though, please do not abuse the privilege.[/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]
[size=1]That paragraph in the opening post should help. :V[/size]

• 1 year later...
Hey OB leaders...I was wondering if there were gonna be any other new skins for the OB website. I like the Wet Paint look, its really cool looking. I was kinda hoping for a classic look with the original colors be available, or some cool color combinations that each OB member could personalize how they see their OB Home page. It doesn't have to be like Myspace where you have a background from some other site but just different color schemes.

[quote name='Allamorph' date='19 June 2010 - 04:38 PM' timestamp='1276979919' post='695619']
[FONT=Calibri]As has been said a few times elsewhere, new skins are in the works.[/FONT]
[/quote]

Ahh I see. Forgive me for contributing to something that is probably annoying you to death.

[quote name='Humaru' date='20 June 2010 - 06:31 AM' timestamp='1276975906' post='695617']
Hey OB leaders...I was wondering if there were gonna be any other new skins for the OB website. I like the Wet Paint look, its really cool looking. I was kinda hoping for a classic look with the original colors be available, or some cool color combinations that each OB member could personalize how they see their OB Home page. It doesn't have to be like Myspace where you have a background from some other site but just different color schemes.
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]We will definitely be adding more skins. We just have a few other things to do before we can start working on those. You will soon see an update to the XL Basic skin, which will tidy up the header area quite a bit.

In terms of what the new skins will be, my hope is that while they will all be new, a couple of them will have similar colour schemes to some of our classic designs.

I'm not sure that there is any way to give members control over the colour scheme of the site, except for the ability to select different pre-made skins. I'm sorry about that, but hopefully when we have more skins there will be enough variety so that you will find something you are comfortable with. :)
[/font]

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='James' date='20 June 2010 - 02:31 AM' timestamp='1277022715' post='695676']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]We will definitely be adding more skins. We just have a few other things to do before we can start working on those. You will soon see an update to the XL Basic skin, which will tidy up the header area quite a bit.

In terms of what the new skins will be, my hope is that while they will all be new, a couple of them will have similar colour schemes to some of our classic designs.

I'm not sure that there is any way to give members control over the colour scheme of the site, except for the ability to select different pre-made skins. I'm sorry about that, but hopefully when we have more skins there will be enough variety so that you will find something you are comfortable with. :)
[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#006400"][font="Century Gothic"]Oh good. Cause I miss the lovely pink and dancing girls. :( [/font][/color]

The VB forum had some type of pop-up notification letting you know if you had some type of message/comment. Lately I've been getting comments and wouldn't even know it unless I check my email or would click on my own name (and with the way this computer is at the moment I can barely check anything... having to wait to at least 2-5 pm to check it at my school). And for a brief moment I could've sworn there were some type of pop-up here, unless I'm mistaking? But if we don't have one, thought about considering it? If we do, can you tell me how to turn that option on? I can't seem to find it in mysettings. Edited by Magus