OtakuBoards

What's your geekiest purchase?

vegeta rocker

Earlier my friends and i went to the anime store to rummage and we found these cool "potions" they were marketing to promo FF12. They are beautiful blue bottles that come with actual drink in them.

And a collectible card from FF12! I got the main character and was psyched. But the drink.....absolutely terrible. I even called the store back to make sure we were really ok to drink it.

It had a twist off cap so i figured as much. She said yeah. In fact in the store she had said we could really drink them.

As i talk to her on the phone she says " oh yeah, they are pretty bad."

Well thanks.

Its a beautiful bottle and all and i love the card, but i paid 22 bucks for a bad drink. lol.

So have you ever purchased something uber geeky that you knew totally wasnt worth it but thought it was awesome anyway?

I proudly display my bottle next to my computer.

[URL=http://www.ncsx.com/2006/040306/ffxii_potion_le.htm]Click Here[/URL]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=vegeta rocker]
So have you ever purchased something uber geeky that you knew totally wasnt worth it but thought it was awesome anyway?[/QUOTE]
That's not quite the same question as the one in the title of your thread, wouldn't you say? :p

My geekiest purchase(s) would probably be my anime figures. I swore to myself time and again that I wouldn't get into figure collecting, and although I haven't quite sunk to that level yet, the fact that I own any at all is kind of worrisome, haha.

The first figure I got was [url=http://www.tmpanime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1462][u]Alvis Hamilton[/u][/url] from Last Exile; I bought [url=http://www.tmpanime.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1587][u]Henrietta[/u] [/url] from Gunslinger Girl a little later. I also have a set of some nice [url=http://www.hlj.com/product/ALT20502][u]Last Exile trading busts[/u][/url] on order, but that's it for the foreseeable future.

~Dagger~

I've recently started to collect Final Fantasy figurines. In August, I bought [B]Squall Leonhart[/B] from Spain, and when I got back home, I bought [B]Cloud Strife[/B] (from Advent Children), followed [B]Tidus[/B] and [B]Yuna[/B]. So there's a total of four now, but I'm going to get more. ;D

I have certain conditions for the figurines, though: they must be the same approximate size, and fully colored. It's not a problem for me, because the only FF-figurines they sell in Finland are Play Arts ones.

But yeah, I think the figurines are the geekiest thing I've bought - at least in a long while.

[size=1]I love [url=http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-753604276926261584&q=final+fantasy+potion][u]the commercial[/u][/url] of those potions. [b]Edit:[/b] [i]Yeah you're right. They even look like the potion tastes bad. I guess it's the cost of being healed.[/i]

Well, a geeky purchase. I bought Final Fantasy XI just so I'd own the game. It was like ?19,99 with two expansion packs included. I have never installed the game, let stand played it. Apart from that I don't buy geeky stuff... I think.[/size]

[SIZE=1]I have a lot of geeky purchases, all along the same lines as Dagger's.

My [URL=http://jpopexpress.com/images/shop-med/final-fantasy-advent-children-sephiroth_action_figure-med.jpg][B]Sephiroth Action Figure[/B][/URL], which is amazing and sexy and can pose in lots of different ways. Hanging from one of his hands I have my Sasuke (Naruto) keychain. On my stereo I have Itachi and Sasuke busts, too.

I also have about six different Naruto chibi keychains; Gaara, Rock Lee, Itachi, Sasuke, Kakashi and Zabuza. I gave away my Naruto, Sakura and Iruka.

I really want the Vincent figure from Advent Children but it's really expensive. Oh, I also bought this Naruto Nippon Radio DJ thing which is all in Japanese. I didn't realise until after I'd bought it. ): I also need to buy some plastic shuriken...just because. >>

[B]Edit:[/B] Oh, I found a picture of my keychain set =D [URL=http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e98/thebestnarutoseller/eBayPicture.jpg][[B]link[/B]][/URL]
Edit 2: Hey, I have a Konoha forehead protector, too. That honestly must be the geekiest thing I've bought.[/SIZE]

I don't usually have the cash to spend, but I do have a few things.

I have an Edward Elric figure that was packaged with Vol. 4 of FullMetal Alchemist. It's only a few inches tall, but the detail is gorgeous, and it doesn't hurt that Ed's shirtless.

I have a small Kuroneko-sama (cat from Trigun) stuffed animal and a Sesshoumaru (from InuYasha) plushie to play with. Sesshy is complete with a little felt Tenseiga and without the left arm. Kuroneko-sama's tail can be moved into different positions.

Finally, I have a Konoha leaf hitai-ate (forehead protector from Naruto). I actually wear this, usually around the house because there aren't many occasions to wear it in, but I wore it school for final exams today, and it made me feel all focused. I'm hoping to get the fingerless gloves with the Konoha leaf symbol on them, too.

[QUOTE=Sara][color=#b0000b][size=1]My geekiest purchase would probably be Scrabble game number five.

Because [i]four just weren't enough[/i].[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

Please tell, do they differ from each other in any way?

Like one has more vowels than the others, so it rocked so much you just [I]had[/I] to get it? (Those vowels are treasures, honestly!)

[quote name='vegeta rocker']So have you ever purchased something uber geeky that you knew totally wasn't worth it but thought it was awesome anyway?[/quote]
[SIZE=1]
If you don't count every recent Star Wars novel on the day they're released, I tend not to buy many geeky things. ^_^' In answer to the question however, the answer has to be the Star Wars version of Trivial Pursuit, the one that covers both Sagas. I bought it knowing that nobody in my family knew nearly enough about SW trivia, but being able see bits of Episode III either before or after it was released [I can't remember exactly when I bought it] was so worth what I parted with for it.
[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sandy]Please tell, do they differ from each other in any way?

Like one has more vowels than the others, so it rocked so much you just [I]had[/I] to get it? (Those vowels are treasures, honestly!)[/QUOTE][color=#b0000b][size=1]Well, three are normal (albeit second-hand) games. One is "Scrabble Up!" and another is "Turntiles," which is like Scrabble, but different.

I also have a brand-spanking-new Scrabble game that I won in a tournament a few weeks ago.[/size][/color]

[color=crimson]While walking past some shops in Hot Springs, Arkansas I saw something I absolutely had to have. In one of the window displays was a pristine movie [url=http://www.posterwire.com/archives/2005/03/24/attack-of-the-50ft-woman/]poster for Attack of the 50ft Woman[/url] which is one of the coolest 50's Sci Fi movies I've seen. The poster itself is humorously awesome- a giant woman destroying a highway in skimpy clothing, lol.

Instapurchase! It decorates my desk to this day.[/color]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Well my geekiest purchase would be my ceramic Dr. Who bank. I don't have the button in the picture here: [URL=http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9315/tardsbnkhu7.jpg][B][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Tardis[/COLOR][/B][/URL] Just the ceramic bank. I also have some figurines from Ninja Scroll, but I don't know which ones, they just came with the box set. It's not something I would have purchased separately.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Just thought of a new contender which blows my previous entry out of the water, over the last few weeks, since I've been planning on taking my provisional driving test, I've been trying to figure out what kind of car I might be able to afford after I pass, long story short, I fell in love with the VW Bus. About a week ago I was browsing through a knick-knack store and I saw a Bus piggy-bank for ?15, way more than any piggy-bank is worth, but it was a VW Bus so I had to buy it.

[[b]Edit[/b]] [b][url=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/da/Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg/800px-Vw_bus_t1_v_sst.jpg]Pwnage[/url][/b][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sara][color=#b0000b][size=1]Well, three are normal (albeit second-hand) games. One is "Scrabble Up!" and another is "Turntiles," which is like Scrabble, but different.

I also have a brand-spanking-new Scrabble game that I won in a tournament a few weeks ago.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] That's pretty amazing, I'm not going to lie. Just today we were playing Scrabble in newspaper and my got 150ish points on the first word. =_=

One of my more geekier purchases was this [URL=http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-91-77-b-49-en-15-kakashi-70-1cv8.html]Kakashi plushie[/URL] that now sits on my bedstand. To make things worse, I just preordered [URL=http://www.poweranime.com/index2.cfm?pageAction=itemDetails&itemID=13875]another plushie[/URL] that's due out this winter. So, my anime-fan side hasn't died off completely. :P

Also for my group's Junior shirts at our school, we made our logo [b]Junior Jedi[/b], which can is pretty sweet. Next year we're doing [b]Senior DiVAS[/b] from Kill Bill.[/color]

[size=1][color=slategray]My Robin "Super Deformed Pal" action figure thing. [URL=http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006FKKUO.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg][smex][/URL]

Yeah. Every so often I check the toy department in K-Mart for Teen Titans stuff. And one day I saw my wife sitting on the shelf, so I forked over eight dollars for him.

I kiss him all of the time.

Geeky, yes.
But...

It's also the [I]best[/I] purchase I've ever made. :)[/color][/size]

[COLOR=#656446][QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson]While walking past some shops in Hot Springs, Arkansas I saw something I absolutely had to have. In one of the window displays was a pristine movie [url=http://www.posterwire.com/archives/2005/03/24/attack-of-the-50ft-woman/]poster for Attack of the 50ft Woman[/url] which is one of the coolest 50's Sci Fi movies I've seen. The poster itself is humorously awesome- a giant woman destroying a highway in skimpy clothing, lol.

Instapurchase! It decorates my desk to this day.[/color][/QUOTE]Awesome. An absolutely marvelous find, I must say. Mmm hmm.

My geekiest purchase? Hmm, does a book on Geology count? Or rather, does screaming with euphoria and hyperventilating to the point of losing consciousness at the sight of [url=http://www.prenhall.com/tarbuck/][i]Earth: An Introduction to Physical Geology[/i][/url] sound geeky to you? Though a bookworm herself, my sister couldn't understand why I was so excited with said purchase. She could only surmise that it was the geek in me acting up.

Also, I remember having weird reactions when I grabbed my first copy of a Danger Girl issue(Yeah, it's not much of a series but what the hell. I like it). It's only when I've got #1-7 plus Preview in my hand that my adolescence will officially come to a close.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I think the geekiest thing I own is probably Star Wars Original Trilogy Monopoly. Yoda's swamp planet is on the cheapy squares! The Emperor's throne at Coruscant is Pall Mall! Who wants to be a boot when you can be Han or Boba Fett? But that was a Christmas present, so I don't know if it counts as my geekiest purchase.

I have the giant Farscape box set on order - all four series and the Peacekeeper Wars mini-series. I'm going to have to organise a shut-in when it arrives. That's a heck of a lot of sterling sci-fi to enjoy.

Also, it's not an object I bought, but I entered a couple of Magic: The Gathering tournaments recently (dragged there by friends, honestly). I actually managed to make my entry fee back by selling rare cards to spotty overweight forty-year-olds.[/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Oh dear god... I never realized I was such a nerd till I read this thread!!! And what's worse, ALL of this is on display in my room!

In response to the opening post, I bought some of the [B]Fullmetal Alchemist Philosopher's Elixer[/B]... what they did to my taste buds is as much a sin as Ed's transmutation XD

As far as figurines go, I've got 2 from [B]Hellsing[/B] despite not being much of a Hellsing fan, 2 from [B]Eva[/B], a little [B]Veritech[/B] which came with Robotech [B]Box 2[/B], and [B]Kevin[/B] fom [B]Sin City[/B].

>_< I've got a pencil board for [B]Haibane Renmei [/B] and I haven't even watched the whole DVD yet! I've had it for 2 years! As a matter of fact, I have a few DVDs I haven't watched yet (just finally got around to vol. 1 of [B]Rahxephon[/B] yesterday)

I have some extremely nerdy comics. I have some [B]Gundam Wing [/B] volumes, the first volume of the new [B]Teen Titans[/B], [B]Duel Masters[/B], and [B]Cardcaptors Sakura [/B] from a free comic day a while ago along with some volumes of [B]Super Manga Blast[/B]. A while ago I saw volume 1 of a [B]Mortal Kombat [/B] comic and HAD to have it.

Quite possibly THE nerdiest thing I own though is several [B]Pokemon[/B] comics. Namely one which I bought recently, [B]Pokemon Mystical Journey[/B]... that's right a [I]children's shojo manga about Pokemon.[/I]

I own just about all the [B]FF[/B] games despite not having beaten a single one. I haven't beaten most of my games... I just had to get all those frikkin RPGs...

I have the [B]Wario[/B] and [B]Diddy Kong [/B] plushies on my dresser situated near a slew of game booklets, traading cards of all sorts (I try to get at least one pack of every game) and other little nerdities.

I have the soundtrack for [B].hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT [/B] and the [B]Rurouni Kenshin Best Theme Collection[/B], both slightly nerdier than [B]FLCL OST Volume 3[/B].

Some of this stuff may not sound nerdy, but I think it is.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I remember a few years ago, when I was 10, I was out with my Dad. He told me to wait in the car and then he went someplace. I stayed in the car for about an hour and he never came back so I started crying. He came back, saw that I was crying, and got me a toy to make me feel better. It came in a package: two plushie mice, a twirly thing and something else. I later realized that it was a cat toy :animeswea

So I guess the cash register was looking at me like a wierdo. I mean, a crying girl, buying a cat toy... [/COLOR]

[color=#56995e][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think my most Geekiest purchace was around when I was nine, I don't know what exactly I traded for it but I know it was a rather lot since it semed like I traded almost half my soul as well as a number of holographic cards just to get that Holographic Charizard...

>.>

I really wanted that back when I was 9.

However as of recently I think my Geekiest purchace was a 12 case pack of [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune]Ramune[/URL] which I may say was an abasolute ***** to open till I read the directions on it. Then I found it to be one of the nifiiest drinks that I have had from Japan. I bough three others but since there were in Japanease... yeah I couldn't read them. [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]Hmm. First off, the purchase of Pokemon versions Red/Blue to Emerald certainly merits me with geek points, several of them, not to mention the fact that I initially played over 620 hours on the original Red version back when it came out, then restarted it for another 200 or so hours. So, yeah, I don't do that anymore, but the fact remains that I still did it in the past.

Second, I have recently purchased the Darth Vader voice-changing helmet along with Darth Vader's lightsaber (with lights and sounds!...oh, God, am I ever so miserable), and I dressed up as Darth Veder for Halloween last year. Uber bonus geek points are go!

Well, those are the things that mot easily stand out in my memory.

Later.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Heh, this is a easy one, my Dragonball Z alarm clock. Now, I don't know about all that it about it being not worth it, but it's definetly my geekiest purchase yet and definetly awesome. Ah, it's funny the things you'll buy when your so obsessed with a anime^^[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='F.O.Y.][COLOR=DarkOrange]I have the soundtrack for [B].hack//LEGEND OF THE TWILIGHT [/B] and the [B]Rurouni Kenshin Best Theme Collection[/B], both slightly nerdier than [B]FLCL OST Volume 3[/B'].[/COLOR][/quote]
I don't know if you can count those as nerdy when they're good music, but my geekiness is that I have all three FLCL soundtracks (Addict, King of Pirates, and the Vol. 3), the pillows' Penalty Life album, the GITS soundtrack for the first season, and the Serial Experiments Lain soundtrack (I still want to find the opening song from that show). I usually find artists through watching anime.

And then I basically go into a joy-gasm when I look at my CLAMP South Side artbook, my Spirited Away artbook, my FMA artbook, and especially Angel Cage, my Kaori Yuki artbook.

And I still wish I had more of 'em! Greedy, aren't I? *goes to huggle Kuroneko-sama plush*