OtakuBoards

Bands You Love That None Of Your Friends Have Heard Of

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR=DarkOrange]A lot of us here on OB are into a lot of non-mainstream bands, and some of them are really great and deserve far more attention than they get.

[B]Pears & Brass[/B] - Combining blues and rock into what I would describe as [B]Tool [/B] meets [B]Wolfmother[/B], P&B is a brilliant and dark rockin 3-man band with a heaping helping of talent. The CD that I have, [B]The Indian Tower[/B], is comprised of 11 tracks, 2 being acoustic.

Most P&B songs revolve around 2 or 3 complicated riffs being played throughout the song. The guitar and bass are both quick and heavy, and the riffs are guaranteed to be stuck in your head after a few listens. A few go-around with this CD and you'll be humming them everywhere you go.

The singer has a great voice, although you can rarely understand what he's saying. I searched all over google but I couldn't find any lyrics sites with this band, but I know that one of their songs is about a graveyard outside the city where the local trees have become sick of people burrying their dead there so they use their roots to fling the bodies into the air and break them to pieces, letting the plants carry them away. Now that's cool.

The entire CD has a bluesy vibe to it especially in certain tracks. The 2 acoustic tracks are both brilliant and chillingly creepy. This CD deserves a listen from any rockers out there looking for a new, funky, great band to listen to. [/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2] it's weird cos half of the acts I know, no one's ever heard of. Let's start with my favourite, Bloc Party.

Their debut LP, [B][COLOR=Gray] Silent [/COLOR] Alarm [/B] is the best punk rock record, ever, most of the stuff is very dance oriented, but still has that loud punk rock feel to it. It's very hard for me to classify them, in my opinion I think they fall under the disco rock classification.

I'm such a hardcore fan of their stuff, their artwork for[COLOR=White]Silent Alarm: Remixed[/COLOR] is part of my avitar.

The only other person I'm aware of, that's heard of them is my half sister.

In my honest opion I think they are better than most of the "punk" acts everyone listens to now.

Then my second favourite is Thrice, I listened to [B]The Artist In The Ambulance[/B] and fell in love with the way the song was structured and in turn I went out and downloaded [B] Vheissu[/B] I love all the sounds they expirment with, from using the morse code to spell out the album's name in [B] Image Of The Invisible[/B] to the haunting piano used in [COLOR=DarkRed][B] Red Sky [/B][/COLOR]

- Fury[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Lately, I've been really into Draconian, My Dying Bride, Swallow the Sun, Shape of Despair, etc. I know that besides Amorphous, I'm probably the only one one the Boards who listens to this stuff, so I thought I'd put my two cents in as far as stuff no-one's heard of. I just love the massive, all-encompassing atmosphere all of these bands pump through your speakers... it's incredible.

[QUOTE=Leon Fury][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2] it's weird cos half of the acts I know, no one's ever heard of. Let's start with my favourite, Bloc Party.

- Fury[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I think that Bloc Party is a lot more famous than you think. Bands similar to Bloc Party I think are more popular among people past high school age that go exploring for music. Anywayz, BP rocks! Didn't you make a thread on BP, Leon Fury? hehe.

There's a European band called The Servant that I think is very unique. Their music was featured in that movie, Sin City. Their song, Papyrus, makes me feel like it was meant to be listened underwater or in some weird dream-like world.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Aw, how cute, a thread for everone to prove how indie they are!

A lot of my favourite bands that my friends haven't heard of are bands in genres they just don't listen to. Every time they commandeer my iPod they end up asking me who they're listening to and if I'll send them the music at some later date - these bands include Zeromancer (industrial group from the Scadanavianish area), The Kovenant (an awesome industrial metal band), the Bollweevils (awesome punk band from Chicago) and TISM (satirical dance rock act from Melbourne). I wouldn't say that noone else has heard of them, but you know. lol My friends are pretty mainstream or, failing that, just into angry stuff.

As a side note, Silent Alarm is by far not the greatest punk album ever. Look up Apocalypse Hoboken's "House of the Rising Son of a *****" and get back to me.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1][font=arial]*agrees with Alan about Apocalypse Hoboken* I don't even consider Bloc Party a punk band at all.

As far as my music tastes are concerned, I listen to really obscure emo and metal bands that no one has heard of at al, lol. My Last.fm page ([url]http://www.last.fm/user/RiflesAtRecess/[/url]) is plenty proof of that. I listen to everything from Italian emo bands to Japanese techno bands to Candian orchestras with punk overtones. XD

I've yet to meet anyone in IRL who knows who The Assistant is and they're one of my favorite bands. I've pretty much burned their cd for everyone now, lol.[/font][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Aw, how cute, a thread for everone to prove how indie they are!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'm hoping to learn about some new bands through this...

To [B]Leon[/B]: [B]Thrice[/B] is actually fairly well-known :p

To [B]Jakehammaren[/B]: I listen to some death metal, long as it's good. I ought ask for some suggestions.

Anyway, I know this band isn't 100% unheard of, as I was actually introduced to them via Billy Shears, but it's hard as hell to find any of their music aside from their 3 myspace/purevolume tracks. Plus their self released EP is sold out >_<

[B]Maps & Atlases[/B] - While I've only heard 3 of their tracks, I have already fallen in love with this band. Their 2 songs "Every Place Is A Home" and "Songs For Ghosts To Haunt To" are trademarked my maniachally fast tap guitaring. These guys are pretty lighthearted, but still great. They are truly like nothing I have ever heard before.

Their third track "The Ongoing Horrible" is a more calm song with only an acoustic guitar played over a sweet as drum -- or rather what sounds like someone hitting wood blocks.

M&A are very unique and inteesting, so they are worth checking out. If I were to compare them to a more mainsteam band... I'd say they'd be related to [B]Rush[/B], but no more than a distant cousin.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Leon Fury][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2] it's weird cos half of the acts I know, no one's ever heard of. Let's start with my favourite, Bloc Party.

- Fury[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]
Mmmm Bloc Party......very smexy.

I just bought Bloc Party's CD "Silent Alarm" a few days ago, and I love it dearly.
And I found out they're coming to my town, so that makes me very, very excited!
Woot.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][size=1][font=arial] I don't even consider Bloc Party a punk band at all.
[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I think it's one of those bands that's special, and doesn't really have a specific genre... It's like, indie-techno-alternative-punk-emo-rock. Which makes them even awesomer.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Look up Apocalypse Hoboken's "House of the Rising Son of a *****" and get back to me.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Ew. No thanks. My eardrums imploded because of this.

I only have 6 bands to add to this....as of right now, at least.

[B]They Might Be Giants[/B]: This band got me into music altogether. They make an accordion sound rockin. 'Nuff said.

[B]The Angry String Orchestra[/B]: I was looking up Fall Out Boy (so sue me, I'm a bit mainstream), and I got this band. Er, rather "orchestra". They did a Fall Out Boy tribute, and it's just a string quartet. I first I thought "Ew. No way, that's dumb." then I listened to it, and I was in a daze. It is phenomenal. I think they also did a bunch of other tributes, but I'm not sure.

[B]Cartel[/B]: This band stole my heart with "Honestly", which has been playing on MTV lately (yeah, I'm mainstream). I bought their CD, "Chroma", thinking "Honestly" was the only good song on there, and as it turns out they all rock. And the songs are clean! Huzzah, I can listen to them with mom and pop!

[B]The Academy Is[/B]...: Yes, the name of the band does have "..." after it, ok? Vocals are very, very important to me when it comes to music, and the singer's voice won me over.

[B]Cute Is What We Aim For[/B]: The lyrics. It's the lyrics. They are (in my opinion) magical. And emo. Just the way I like 'em.

[B]Boys Like Girls[/B]: They're a mix of romantic emo rock. And because of that, they are going to be the next big thing, and I can't wait for it.

A'ight. That's all for now. But I expect another CD in the near futrue, so it's most likely going to be another unknown band.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='darkisMINE][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Ew. No thanks. My eardrums imploded because of this.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
Solution: Get new eardrums and try again.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=darkisMINE][size=1][B]Cartel[/B]: This band stole my heart with "Honestly", which has been playing on MTV lately (yeah, I'm mainstream). I bought their CD, "Chroma", thinking "Honestly" was the only good song on there, and as it turns out they all rock. And the songs are clean! Huzzah, I can listen to them with mom and pop!

[B]The Academy Is[/B]...: Yes, the name of the band does have "..." after it, ok? Vocals are very, very important to me when it comes to music, and the singer's voice won me over.

[B]Cute Is What We Aim For[/B]: The lyrics. It's the lyrics. They are (in my opinion)[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]All three of those bands are actually quite popular here in San Diego. And all three have been getting much more attention as far as listeners goes, so I wouldn't really consider them as bands that no on has listened to, but meh.

[b]Letters Burn Red[/b]: They have that whole southern rock style, combined with the hardcore genre. So, I guess it'd be southXcore or whatever the hell they want to call themselves. (haha, I'm kidding of course, I though it was funny. :P ) Some nice breakdowns in a few of the songs, and the guy has amazing vocals.

[b]Life In Pictures[/b]: The band broke up a while ago, but I love their music. Nice screams/vocals, good sound as far as the hardcore genre goes, so yeah.

[b]13 Killings[/b]: A great hardcore band from here in Southern California, amazing breakdowns, brutally low growls, good high screams, and good vocals all around. I've met the guys personally and they're all really cool.

Those are really the only ones I can think of at the moment. If I think of any others, I'll post again.
:][/size]

all my obscure bands got huge in the U.S. last year, like Death From Above 1979, and A Trillion Barnacle Lapse. So I've had to find some actually underground music. I like Show Bread, Versus The Mirror, and Rose of Sharon. And for stuff other than screamo and hardcore.... I would have to say Blood Brothers are awomse... but their new album is about to make them huge cuz I just so them on the home page of myspace today... friggan myspace... :animeangr

I like Dredg, Dredg is cool. Sadly I could list to many band because my friends are music deprived, if you said Dead Kenedys they would probably shrug... its rediculous I swear. There is very little good music anymore. And the good music that's left is some rediculous sub-genre like "post hardcore happy dance goa rock psy punk" I think people should just start pooping and recording the sounds... they would probably get a deal with virgin.

I almost left out Rasputina! they're cool and unheard of... but not unpopular, do they count?

[size=1][color=slategray]I'm a shameless [B]Wheatus[/B] promoter. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with the band, honestly... because I listen to nothing else that sounds like them. Not even close. Yet, they are my favorite band. Ah man, I'm going to one of their concerts tomorrow night. : D
I don't even really try to get people to listen to Wheatus anymore, though... because then they just look at me and ask what my problem is. Eh.

There are a lot of bands that I listen to that aren't "popular" around here. Then again, I live in a town in Iowa that has about 8,000 people that make up it's population. Plus, I'm always on the internet searching for new things to listen to. So, whatever.

Anyway. Just to list some others:

[B]The Birthday Massacre[/B]. They are an industrial/electronica band from Canada. I just got into them recently, and they are proving to be one of my favorite bands already. I need to get my hands on their album [I]Violet[/I].

[B]The LoveCrave[/B]. A somewhat gothic/metal up-and-coming band from Italy. I found them because they've been touring Europe with [B]The Birthday Massacre[/B]. Ahh, I believe their first album comes out on the 20th of this month, so I'll need to get that ordered.

[B]Jesus on Extasy[/B]. Just their name is enough to make you want to listen to them.

[B]The Peels[/B]. This is just more rock than anything. I think the band already broke up, after releasing their first album. Sad. Ah well. I really love the vocals, and the overall awesomeness that I felt when I listened to them.

And... I'm tired now.[/color][/size]

[quote name='darkisMINE][COLOR=SeaGreen][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I think it's one of those bands that's special, and doesn't really have a specific genre... It's like, indie-techno-alternative-punk-emo-rock. Which makes them even awesomer.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[font=arial][size=1]Nononono. Bloc Party certainly are not emo. For a definition of emo, check out Rites of Spring, Moss Icon, Portrait, Saetia, Neil Perry, or Orchid. If you were able to find songs/albums from Apocalypse Hoboken to have an opinion on them, you should be able to find something from at least one of those bands.

Also, they are not punk in the least. Again, check out bands like Apocalypse Hoboken, Gorilla Biscuits, Black Flag, Propagandhi, etc. From what I heard from Bloc Party (which is basically the portion of Silent Alarm that I listened to before giving up on trying to like them), they sound nothing like any of those bands.

We'll leave it as Alternative Rock. :) I mean, at least they're in the same group as Audioslave, they're pretty sweet.

[quote name='darkfactor']all my obscure bands got huge in the U.S. last year, like Death From Above 1979, and A Trillion Barnacle Lapse. So I've had to find some actually underground music. I like Show Bread, Versus The Mirror, and Rose of Sharon. And for stuff other than screamo and hardcore.... I would have to say Blood Brothers are awomse... but their new album is about to make them huge cuz I just so them on the home page of myspace today... friggan myspace... [/quote]
Yeah, I tend to notice that a lot of bands that had like 50 fans on MySpace when I first started liking them now have like 15,000 or something like that. A good example would be HeavyHeavyLowLow, they've been getting a lot of attention lately.

Also, I'm not familiar with A Trillion Barnacle Lapse or Rose of Sharon, so as far as I know, they could be exempt from this. However, the only other band you mentioned that's anything close to emo is The Blood Brothers, which is ironic considering what you said about them, lol.

I have no problem with The Blood Brothers getting big, I love them. I hated their last cd, [u]Crimes[/u], though. They've gotten a huge popularity boost (at least here) with that cd though. For a long time a lot of my friends had the "________ Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck" display name on MySpace. So yeah, I'm assuming that a lot of people have heard "Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck." I've heard the ten song leak of the new Blood Brothers album and I'm very excited about buying it soon. It's the first cd by them where I absolutely love every song on it (and [u]...Burn, Piano Island, Burn[/u] was hard to top).

If you like The Blood Brothers, I suggest looking up The Jonbenet, they sound very similar and have a harder edge to their music. "Eating Lightning, Part I" is especially an awesome song by them.[/font][/size]

[QUOTE=F.O.Y.][COLOR=DarkOrange]

Anyway, I know this band isn't 100% unheard of, as I was actually introduced to them via Billy Shears, but it's hard as hell to find any of their music aside from their 3 myspace/purevolume tracks. Plus their self released EP is sold out >_<

[B]Maps & Atlases[/B] - While I've only heard 3 of their tracks, I have already fallen in love with this band. Their 2 songs "Every Place Is A Home" and "Songs For Ghosts To Haunt To" are trademarked my maniachally fast tap guitaring. These guys are pretty lighthearted, but still great. They are truly like nothing I have ever heard before.

Their third track "The Ongoing Horrible" is a more calm song with only an acoustic guitar played over a sweet as drum -- or rather what sounds like someone hitting wood blocks.

M&A are very unique and inteesting, so they are worth checking out. If I were to compare them to a more mainsteam band... I'd say they'd be related to [B]Rush[/B], but no more than a distant cousin.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]Holy christ, I don't even remember talking about [B]Maps and Atlases[/B] before. Anywho, my friend jus burned me their EP, and I listen to it about, oh, lets say, at least 3 times a day. It's that good.

Well, I am glad I introduced someone to this amazing band.

[B]Heavy Heavy Low Low[/B]: crazy, almost on par with [B]Number 12 Looks Like You[/B], and the greatest grindcore band ever, [B]Ed Gein[/B].

I honestly cannot stand the [B]Blood Brothers[/B]. The vocals are so grating and terrible. And they aren't even good musicians. The side project [B]Neon Blonde[/B], is just basically the same thing as the Blood Brothers, but if someone else can convince me otherwise, I will stand by my opinion.

[B]Lightning Bolt, Volta do Mar, Unwed Sailor, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Russian Circles, Unique Chique, The Digital Kill, Tristeza, The Locust, Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, Oxes, Tower of Rome, Sparrows Swarm and Sing, Mega Mega, Karma With a K, Iron and Wine, Holy Roman Empire, Dance Club Massacre, TheVison TheGuilt, Savant of String, Refused, Left Over Crack, Team Sleep, Captain Beyond.[/B]

Some instrumental, some grindcore, some other obscure ****, I dunno. Pick and choose, they are all good in my eyes. :^D

I will also shamelessly promote my band, The Para-medics, as well. [URL=http://www.myspace.com/musicforthehardofhearing]LISTEN![/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Heero yuy
Light this city

Symphony in peril

My American heart

Nicotine

Bury your dead

Push comes to shove

Say days ago

August burns red

No innocent victim

Agnostic front

The last redeemed

The agony scene

The chariot

Burden of the day

The blood brothers

Everytime I die

Maria Taylor

Orenda Fink

Azul ray

I'm sure some of you have heard of these bands, but all my friends haven't. And most people I talk to haven't as well.

[quote name='Lan][size=1']All three of those bands are actually quite popular here in San Diego. And all three have been getting much more attention as far as listeners goes, so I wouldn't really consider them as bands that no on has listened to, but meh.[/size][/quote]

[size=1][color=black]Well, they don't have to be bands that no one has listened to. Obviously it's just that darkisMINE's friends haven't heard of them.

Anyway, I know when I was in high school most of my friends hadn't heard of some of the bands I listened to (like Placebo and Gomez, even though they are quite well-known). I guess the only band I could say I listen to that most people here haven't heard of would be Verdena, but that's because they're an Italian band who I started listening to when I was in Italy. I haven't paid much attention to whether people know the music I listen to lately, but that's probably because I'm not the kind of music fan now that I was back in school. You know, being infatuated with a handful of bands and listening to all their music. Man, I talk about school like it was so long ago.[/size][/color]

Guest Heero yuy
[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]

I have no problem with The Blood Brothers getting big, I love them. I hated their last cd, [u]Crimes[/u], though. They've gotten a huge popularity boost (at least here) with that cd though. For a long time a lot of my friends had the "________ Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck" display name on MySpace. So yeah, I'm assuming that a lot of people have heard "Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck." I've heard the ten song leak of the new Blood Brothers album and I'm very excited about buying it soon. It's the first cd by them where I absolutely love every song on it (and [u]...Burn, Piano Island, Burn[/u] was hard to top).

.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

I agree with you.

Burn, Piano Island, Burn is one of the best albums I own.

[color=crimson][b]Godspeed You! Black Emperor[/b]- A post-rock outfit from Quebec. Each and every one of their CDs I found to be absolutely fantastic. Their music ranges from ambient, softer tones to cacophonies of instruments to depressing, spoken word pieces and everything in between. They build most of their tracks like symphonies, each one having multiple movements and changing sounds within. It is all very artistic and, if I can be so bold, much more musical and emotional than any other rock or metal that I've ever heard.

It is worth your while to look them up.[/color]

[QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson][b]Godspeed You! Black Emperor[/b]- A post-rock outfit from Quebec. Each and every one of their CDs I found to be absolutely fantastic. Their music ranges from ambient, softer tones to cacophonies of instruments to depressing, spoken word pieces and everything in between. They build most of their tracks like symphonies, each one having multiple movements and changing sounds within. It is all very artistic and, if I can be so bold, much more musical and emotional than any other rock or metal that I've ever heard.

It is worth your while to look them up.[/color][/QUOTE]
[font=arial][size=1]I quite agree with everything you just said. GY!BE is nothing short of amazing, and everyone should hear them. While it's not something I would necessarily sit down for an hour and listen to, it makes great background music. I usually do homework and paint to them or bands like them.

I have to say though, I like the bands Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky just a tad more, their songs are shorter and there's just more stuff going on in them. There's also A Silver Mt. Zion, but I'm not a huge fan of what I heard, really. The live recordings I have of them are pretty good though.

As far as instrumental music is concerned, there's a local band here called Canvas Solaris who started as a Death Metal band, but their singer quit and the musicians wanted to break out of the genre and use many different instruments. What came out of this were three cd's (so far) of pure Tech Metal. The metal tag might throw people off, so I should mention that these guys aren't a heavy band in the least, they just use a lot of really technical and distorted guitarwork in most of their songs. I strongly suggest that any metal or post-rock fans check Canvas Solaris out, their cd's are on Amazon and they have a great set of songs on MySpace.[/font][/size]

With "indie" bands I think people who use the internet a lot or pay attention to the "scene" don't really understand how things translate to overall sales. Bloc Party is an example of this.

Are they doing really well compared to most of their contemporaries or bands people would stuff in the same vague category? Of course. Are they comparing in sales popularity to anything major? No way. A good example of this was Art Brut. Super popular as far as "indie" kids were concerned, got great reviews, have the highest selling album of their label's history.

How many albums did they sell? 10,000 or so.

Bloc Party is certainly more popular, but that popularity is FAR stronger in Europe than it was int he US. They didn't even break the charts in the states.

So I could see Bloc Party appearing in a thread about what some one's friends might know of. I know people who don't even know who the hell David Bowie is, so it's all pretty relative.

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]I quite agree with everything you just said. GY!BE is nothing short of amazing, and everyone should hear them. While it's not something I would necessarily sit down for an hour and listen to, it makes great background music. I usually do homework and paint to them or bands like them.

I have to say though, I like the bands Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky just a tad more, their songs are shorter and there's just more stuff going on in them. There's also A Silver Mt. Zion, but I'm not a huge fan of what I heard, really. The live recordings I have of them are pretty good though.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][B]Explosions[/B]: Fantastic
[B]Godspeed[/B]: Was going to mention them in my last post...I dunno why I didn't.
[B]Mogwai[/B]: Fantastic

For any instrumental bands, you must look up [B]Volta do Mar, Oxes, , Unwed Sailor, and Russian Circles[/B]. [B]Volta do Mar[/B] is probably the best one out of the group, so I suggest going [URL=www.myspace.com/voltadomar]right here[/URL] and listening to "Breaking Ribs for Tom Thayer". When I first heard this song, I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever heard. Please, click the link and listen.

[B]Oxes[/B] and [B]Russian Circles[/B] are math-metal type bands. They both cram tons of riffs and nutty time signatures into their songs. Fun fact: [B]Russian Circles[/B] is (oddly) on the grindcore label [B]HewhocorruptsInc.[/B], which is a label run by god-awful grind band [B]Hewhocorrupts[/B].

[B]Unwed Sailor [/B] is another one of my favorites. They are a little like [B]Explosions in the Sky[/B], but the songs are a little more complex. I think it is just one guy doing all the instruments, and he just plays with a live outfit.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Billy Shears][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]For any instrumental bands, you must look up [B]Volta do Mar, Oxes, , Unwed Sailor, and Russian Circles[/B]. [B]Volta do Mar[/B] is probably the best one out of the group, so I suggest going [URL=www.myspace.com/voltadomar]right here[/URL] and listening to "Breaking Ribs for Tom Thayer". When I first heard this song, I thought it was the greatest thing I had ever heard. Please, click the link and listen.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
[size=1][font=arial]I listened to a few of Volta Do Mar's songs and they're sexcellent, they remind me a lot of Cinemechanica, who do vocals, but not on all their songs. Your turn to click a [u][url=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=8312705]link[/url][/u].

I'll check out the rest later, but you've made me a fan of Volta Do Mar. XD

And also, Tony, I wasn't saying that Bloc Party were undeserving of this thread or anything like that. I just mentioned that they weren't Punk or Emo. I don't know if you were pointing your post at me or not.[/font][/size]

[size=1][color=navy]I don't know how many people know about these guys. I honestly just found out about them maybe an hour ago, thanks to Joe (di.fm)!

The band is called[/color] [url=http://www.myspace.com/str8jackit ][b]Str8jackit[/b][/url]. [color=navy]Totally metal, with a twist of fantasy metal. Normally, I don't really go crazy over this genre..but something about these guys caught me, and I kind of had a fangirl moment. Go check them out.

That's pretty much all the "unknown" bands. Everything else I listen to is pretty mainstream.

[i]Then there's a band I love to promote every chance I get. They're more rock, but still freaking great. Check 'em out, they're the one and only [/color][url=http://www.myspace.com/blackline][b]Blackline[/b][/url].[/i][/size]

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess][size=1][font=arial]And also, Tony, I wasn't saying that Bloc Party were undeserving of this thread or anything like that. I just mentioned that they weren't Punk or Emo. I don't know if you were pointing your post at me or not.[/font'][/size][/quote]

No. There was just a mention somewhere along the way about them being more popular than the person who first posted about them seemed to think.