OtakuBoards

South Park gone too far?

vegeta rocker

As nearly everyone on Ob knows; Steve Irwin died two months ago from a fatal wound received from a stingray's barbed tail.

South Park will soon air an episode making fun of Irwin's death, depicting him in Hell with a Stingray barb in his chest. The "picture here" link will direct you to it.

I personally think that Trey Parker and Matt Stone have gone a bit too far. I understand they make fun of celebrities dead and alive, but this seems too soon.

It just seems not funny to me; in fact it seems just plain sick. I loved Steve Irwin and i enjoy South Park, but do you think that they have gone a bit too far this time?

[URL=http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20654936-5001028,00.html]Article[/URL]

[URL=http://entretenimento.globo.com/Entretenimento/Tv/foto/0,,6320424-NDP,00.jpg]Picture Here[/URL]

Wait, you think that's going too far, but you aren't saying anything about the recent episode where the kindergarden teacher was having sex with Ike? Or what about the episode where Cartman tried to blame 9-11 on Kyle? Or older episodes, such as the one with NAMBLA, or the one where that kid Cartman hates ends up eating his own parents? You're complaining about the Steeve Irwin joke (by the way, Satan actually says that it's too soon when he thinks Irwin is actually someone in an Irwin costume), but not any of the other things they've done on South Park? Seriously, the Irwin joke is one of the more appropriate jokes I've seen on that show. If you think the Irwin joke is bad, than you probably haven't watched too much South Park.

[COLOR=Sienna]The more offensive it is, the better. That's what makes the show so special; they don't give a **** about being politically correct, they'll make fun of everyone and everything, and it's one of the best shows on TV as a result. Yea, Irwin's death was a tragedy, but it doesn't mean it can't be lampooned based on the odd circumstances of his death. The episode will probably be funny.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Well, the way I see it is that South Park is basically a show that does nothing but make fun of various people in history. And it's only natural that they would "make fun of" the death of Steve Irwin. And don't get me wrong, I was upset when he died as everyone else, but if your going to watch South Park or any show that makes fun of people like that, then you should be prepared to watch something like that. Because you can't just say that making fun of Oprah and Will Smith(just examples) is ok and think it's funny, and then turn around and say that making fun of Steve Irwin is "going a bit too far" just because it might have offended you. So, like I said, if your going to watch South Park or any other show that makes fun of various people then you should accept all the people they may make fun of. And if you can't then you shouldn't watch it.(No offense).[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Takuya']You're complaining about the Steve Irwin joke (by the way, Satan actually says that it's too soon when he thinks Irwin is actually someone in an Irwin costume), but not any of the other things they've done on South Park?[/quote]

Basically. If you actually, you know, [i]watch the clip[/i] (it's on YouTube), then you'll see that the joke is more a jab at the idea that there is an 'appropriate' and 'inappropriate' time to make fun of someone's death rather than a joke that out and out mocks Steve Irwin's death. Personally, I agree with the show: The idea of 'too soon' is ludicrous. Either you think that the joke is funny or you don't. Time probably isn't going to do too much to change that. JFK humor didn't suddenly become funny twenty-five years after the guy died or whatever.

[size=1][color=black]I'm not a fan of South Park. I think I've probably giggled at it a few times when there was nothing else to watch, but overall there's something about the show that I dislike. Making fun of celebrities and all is one thing, but jokes about child molestation? I think that crosses the line.

But then that's the good thing about television, I don't have to watch it. While I don't think the Steve Irwin episode will be funny, I think in those kind of situations people should just not watch it if they don't want to. Making a fuss just encourages more tasteless jokes and makes the fans feel even more "omg so controversial!!!" for watching the show. On a side note, I love when fans try to explain how 'intelligent' and 'satirical' the humour is. I guess I just don't see it.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Impact]I myself wish i could see that episode. I personally dont care if its too soon or not. I was actually wondering when he was gonna die. Not to be rude or anything but f-ing around with dangerous animals is gonna get you killed. If you cant take a simple joke like that you shouldnt be watching south part.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='only1specialed][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=4][FONT=Impact]I myself wish i could see that episode. I personally dont care if its too soon or not. I was actually wondering when he was gonna die. Not to be rude or anything but f-ing around with dangerous animals is gonna get you killed. If you cant take a simple joke like that you shouldnt be watching south part.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[size=1][color=black]I'm not trying to start an argument, but how can a joke about a dead person be classed as a 'simple joke'? I'm not saying it offends me, because I don't really care either way about Steve Irwin. But the fact is, he's dead and they're mocking him. Even by South Park standards, that's not particularly vanilla.[/color][/size]

Guest Xxw00txX
wow ppl can be so cold nowadays -.- ppl should respect ppl dat passed away not make fun of dem.. or they will come an eat u! =D

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I'm really puzzled as to why so many people are surprised by this, it's a typical South Park thing to lampoon recent media events, regardless of their nature, the Tom Cruise episode for instance, which I have to admit I'd have loved to see. It's offensive, it's politically incorrect and at times it's downright heartless, all these things have been typical of South Park since the beginning, so what's so special about Steve Irwin that he should avoid it ? It's a bit low I agree, but that's life. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=vegeta rocker]I guess it's just personal opinion that it's too soon. I just thought it was kinda sad with his daughters dvd coming out and around the same time.

I know they make fun of everything but for some reason i guess this kinda bothered me.

Just me.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's nothing wrong with not finding the joke funny. Again, you either get it or you don't. It's just the 'too soon' stuff that makes me go, "Huh?" There is no set amount of time that has to pass for jokes about tragic events to be funny - hell, Norm Macdonald cracked a few Steve Irwin jokes on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart literally a week or so after the guy died, and I laughed because I thought they were funny jokes. I mean, I felt kind of bad for laughing (so did Jon Stewart lol), because I actually am a Steve Irwin fan, but what can you do? It was a funny routine.

[quote name='Rain][size=1][color=black]I'm not trying to start an argument, but how can a joke about a dead person be classed as a 'simple joke'? I'm not saying it offends me, because I don't really care either way about Steve Irwin. But the fact is, he's dead and they're mocking him. Even by South Park standards, that's not particularly vanilla.[/color'][/size][/quote]

[color=crimson]He's dead and they are mocking him, you're right.

And that's it. There's nothing more to it than that. If you find that offensive, you do. If you don't, you don't.

If there is something more to say it's just you rambling on because you are offended by it and I think most of us here would rather not hear that, lol.[/color]

[size=1][color=dimgray]All I have to say is if you can have a laugh because of this do, I think laughter is a priceless thing, and a good thing for the most part. There is a quote that Oscar Wilde said "Life is far too important to be take seriously." I just think that there are times in life you need to laugh at things you shouldn't it's one of the easiest ways to get over it. We all die one day, and if someone can find a little good humor in my passing, I hope they take it cuz I'd rather have people laughing than crying.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Shinmaru] Basically. If you actually, you know, [i]watch the clip[/i'] (it's on YouTube), then you'll see that the joke is more a jab at the idea that there is an 'appropriate' and 'inappropriate' time to make fun of someone's death rather than a joke that out and out mocks Steve Irwin's death. Personally, I agree with the show: The idea of 'too soon' is ludicrous. Either you think that the joke is funny or you don't. Time probably isn't going to do too much to change that. JFK humor didn't suddenly become funny twenty-five years after the guy died or whatever.[/quote][color=crimson]Exactly, and it does so rather tastefully, by South Park standards. My only nitpick about the skit was the fact they didn't do his personality right.

Instead of the hyper-active and "Crikey!" Steve Irwin everybody remembers, they portray him as a reserved,quiet sort of individual. I do not remember Steve at all in that way. :p

In any case, I'd rank the virgin Mary menstruating on priests as this shows most tasteless moment. It wasn't funny at all. Who wants to see a statue pissing blood over the Pope? Sick.

I watched that ep with a high expectation that the RCC would get a decent dose of satirical humor sent their way, and I got that. I want my half hour back.[/color]

[QUOTE=Shinje][color=crimson]

In any case, I'd rank the virgin Mary menstruating on priests as this shows most tasteless moment. It wasn't funny at all. Who wants to see a statue pissing blood over the Pope? Sick.[/color][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
I do! That episode ruled. It did a very good - and accurate - job of satirizing those freaks who come from around the world to see supposed miracles. And how could we forget the time Cartman tricked that kid into eating his own parents? Classic stuff.

The whole point of South Park is to be offensive; to go, as you say, to far. That's what makes the show so good. It doesn't have a bunch of ******, pointless jokes like Family Guy, and it's not confined by political correctness like The Simpsons... it's perfect.[/COLOR]

[quote]Basically. If you actually, you know, watch the clip (it's on YouTube), then you'll see that the joke is more a jab at the idea that there is an 'appropriate' and 'inappropriate' time to make fun of someone's death rather than a joke that out and out mocks Steve Irwin's death. [/quote]

[font=arial]I don't always agree with South Park personally, but having said that, I know that its creators don't usually just throw something shocking on the screen for shock's sake. Usually there is a fundamental message behind the shock. In some cases, the creators are simply saying "don't take the world so seriously". There's often this idea that we can't laugh about death or that when someone dies, they are immune from criticism and they can't be the object of fun.

I mean, sure...it would be awful to make jokes in front of Steve's family or something. On the other hand, Steve Irwin was often made fun of while he was alive - why should this change now that he's dead?

I remember when Channel Nine here in Australia interviewed Germaine Greer about his death - she actually had the guts to criticise elements of his life. Granted, I don't entirely agree with her, but the way she was treated was disgusting. She rightly made the point that just because someone's dead doesn't mean they should be immune from [i]any[/i] kind of scrutiny, no matter how lighthearted.

I haven't yet seen this clip, but my comments here aren't specifically an endorsement of it - I'm just saying that in general, we usually need to step back and look at the broader picture.[/font]

One small thing James; Greers comments were not light hearted, They were as terrible as they get.

Onto the subject at hand, I'm really not offended by this episode of South Park; Stone and Parker are well known for pushing the envelope when it comes to taking stabs at subjects. Sure, maybe if he was featured heavily in the episode then I'd be pissed but it's only for a little while in it, So I believe there is little harm done.

It's not going to cause nearly as much trouble as with the Scientology episode because the main theme of it was he fact that Scientology was bullcrap. Nowhere near the amount of contreversy as it at all.

[quote]One small thing James; Greers comments were not light hearted, They were as terrible as they get.[/quote]

[font=arial]I said I don't agree with everything she said, but she was treated very unfairly. She was pointing out that Steve Irwin was an embarassment to various people in Australia and that it's impossible to mention this after he died. So her overall point was that we somehow lose our objectivity when people pass away.

Granted, her tone wasn't exactly pleasant, but did you see any of the interviews? They were ripping her apart and misinterpreting her every step of the way. Greer may have been sharp in her comments, but the media were getting right into the gutter in the way they covered it.[/font]

[QUOTE=James][font=arial]I said I don't agree with everything she said, but she was treated very unfairly. She was pointing out that Steve Irwin was an embarassment to various people in Australia and that it's impossible to mention this after he died. So her overall point was that we somehow lose our objectivity when people pass away.

Granted, her tone wasn't exactly pleasant, but did you see any of the interviews? They were ripping her apart and misinterpreting her every step of the way. Greer may have been sharp in her comments, but the media were getting right into the gutter in the way they covered it.[/font][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Embarrassment? She was implying that [i]he deserved to die[/i] for 'what he'd done to the animal kingdom' over the years. She was being an utter witch about it. Honestly, I don't care if she's the most embarrassed woman in the world because of Steve Irwin, to imply someone had it coming, and say it in such a cruel way, is hardly pointing out that it had become impossible to critique him. It was just being mean, and her comments were hardly called for.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Embarrassment? She was implying that [i]he deserved to die[/i] for 'what he'd done to the animal kingdom' over the years. She was being an utter witch about it. Honestly, I don't care if she's the most embarrassed woman in the world because of Steve Irwin, to imply someone had it coming, and say it in such a cruel way, is hardly pointing out that it had become impossible to critique him. It was just being mean, and her comments were hardly called for.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]

[font=arial]No, that's not what she was saying. Part of her point was that his death was ironic, because she felt that he had been cruel to animals in the past - as I keep stating, this is a point I don't agree with. But she also had a secondary point, which was related to the inability of anyone to make a negative comment on his life now that he has died.

This is the reason why media influence can be so negative, especially with something like South Park.

You have a diluted message out there that says "they're making fun of Steve Irwin's death on South Park". To [i]anyone[/i], that sounds horrible and nobody would excuse it.

Look a little closer and you notice that it's a satire - it's using that example to make a general comment about the issue of discussing someone after they've died.

The exact same thing happened with Germaine Greer. As I said - and will repeat - I don't agree with all of her comments. I certainly don't agree that Steve Irwin was cruel to animals.

[i]However[/i], Greer was also pointing out that many people have suddenly changed their tune as a result of his death. Remember when he dangled his baby in front of a crocodile? The man might be dead, but that won't stop me from being honest about mistakes and embarassments.

Does this mean I don't recognize his contribution to Australia or its wildlife? Of course not. I think he was a great man and on the whole, he's someone to be admired.

But the point I'm making is that we have to dig through the spin. Unfortunately too many people skim over the surface and we get these very sudden shock-horror reactions when perhaps they aren't always warranted.[/font]

[QUOTE=James][font=arial]No, that's not what she was saying. Part of her point was that his death was ironic, because she felt that he had been cruel to animals in the past - as I keep stating, this is a point I don't agree with. But she also had a secondary point, which was related to the inability of anyone to make a negative comment on his life now that he has died.

This is the reason why media influence can be so negative, especially with something like South Park.

You have a diluted message out there that says "they're making fun of Steve Irwin's death on South Park". To [i]anyone[/i], that sounds horrible and nobody would excuse it.

Look a little closer and you notice that it's a satire - it's using that example to make a general comment about the issue of discussing someone after they've died.

The exact same thing happened with Germaine Greer. As I said - and will repeat - I don't agree with all of her comments. I certainly don't agree that Steve Irwin was cruel to animals.

[i]However[/i], Greer was also pointing out that many people have suddenly changed their tune as a result of his death. Remember when he dangled his baby in front of a crocodile? The man might be dead, but that won't stop me from being honest about mistakes and embarassments.

Does this mean I don't recognize his contribution to Australia or its wildlife? Of course not. I think he was a great man and on the whole, he's someone to be admired.

But the point I'm making is that we have to dig through the spin. Unfortunately too many people skim over the surface and we get these very sudden shock-horror reactions when perhaps they aren't always warranted.[/font][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]I saw the interviews with her man. I hardly think she was talking in terms of irony. She was applauding nature for finally getting back at the man who'd embarrassed them (and her) for so long, not being ironic. But I suppose that's just my opinion on it all..[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]I saw the interviews with her man. I hardly think she was talking in terms of irony. She was applauding nature for finally getting back at the man who'd embarrassed them (and her) for so long, not being ironic. But I suppose that's just my opinion on it all..[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]

[font=arial]Maybe part of it is just the way she comes across. I definitely can't excuse her for that, haha.

Admittedly she comes across like a total dragon. But she's a very smart woman...unfortunately she's often too smart for her own good (which was half the trouble I guess).[/font]

personally i'm total fan of steve, i grew up watching him. i have bloody action figures of him for christ's sake. I saw this episode, and thought it was hilarious. they don't portray it ina particularly rude or offensive way, but much more lightly.

if you have a problem with it, don't watch south park.