OtakuBoards

Otakupedia Entries/Suggestions/Discussion thread

Charles

[quote name='"DeadSeraphim"][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]No, what you meant to say is, "I want multiple articles and insane footwork done to have them made, but I'm too lazy to do it myself."[/font][/color'][/size][/quote][size=1][color=DimGray]I thought that was understood.

[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=teal] Okay, here is my entry for Star Wars 411

[b]Star Wars 411[/b]

Star Wars 411 is a thread published by Dragon Warrior, and dedicated to the discussion of all things Star Wars. It originally hit the boards in 2002, and continues to the present day. It is to this date, the longest running thread in Otakuboards history.

The thread began its life quite simply, with the question "do you like Star Wars?" posed to the memberbase. The original post references another locked Star Wars topic before going on to say "All Star Wars, all the time!"

Since it's opening, Star Wars 411 has gone from simple "yes, I like Star Wars" type replies to lenghty discussions and debate about all the Star Wars films, books, games, non-canon spinoffs and much, much more. The threads progression into more mature discussions mirrors that of the OtakuBoards as a whole, and is a perfect snapshot spanning many different versions and era of OtakuBoards.

The threads popularity soared during and after the release of the last two prequel films, before dying off shortly after the release of Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
The thread remains dedicated to all things Star Wars and has been immortalised as *the* Star Wars thread in the Movies directory.

[b]Spin-Offs:[/b]

[b]Lord of the Rings 411: [/b]This thread was dedicated to all Lord of the Rings based discussions and was titled to reference Star Wars 411 and it's enduring popularity. However, it never became as popular as the Star Wars thread and died relatively quickly afterwards. One reason for this may be the compartiively limited scope for discussion, with little to no extra-canon of other materials to discuss aside from the first trilogy.

[b]The Amazing Race -411-[/b]

Jeremiah (S@bretooth at the time) created this spin-off, intending that the thread would span all seasons of The Amazing Race reality show. However, the thread died quickly, with Reality TV Show threads not being particularly popular discussions.

[b] Pirates of the Carribean: The Tavern[/b]

"The Tavern" is a current thread dedicated to discussion on all of the 3 Pirates of the Carribean films. While not exactly a spinoff in the titular sense (the title does not carry the singature 411 code) the basic premise of the thread is the same as Star Wars 411.
[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I should also mention that Star Wars 411 is the most replied-to thread in OB history (at least our history from v3 to v7), with 1,610 replies. So it is not only significant in its own right, but it's also a record-breaker for us.[/font]

This so deserves an Otakupedia entry...

[b]Naps the Cat[/b]

[center][color=blue]This article documents a [b]current event[/b]
Information may change rapidly as events progress[/color][/center]

[b]Napoleon "Naps" the Cat (2007-2007) [/b]was an OtakuBoards personality notable for being the first registered cat in OB history. Naps gained instant fame after being banned following two posts consiting of nothing but meows and maws. He is perhaps better known for being banned than being a member.

[img]http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/431/neverforgetmq6.jpg[/img]
Charle's tribute to a true American legend.

[b]Legacy[/b]

The banning of Naps came as a shock to many members of the boards, who rallied to support Naps' immediate reinstatement to OB, in a Suggestions & Feedback thread led by Shy. The complainants felt that the banning of Naps was the culmination of a series of over-modding incidents which had stripped the OB of any fun. Those wishing to reinstate Naps quoted the fact that threads about Pie and Caption Contests existed without problem, and that banning a cat that could only meow and maw was contradictory to those threads being allowed to run their due course.

The complaint thread (not to be confused with "The Complaint" )was closed soon after and an official announcement followed, reminding OB members that it was quite alright to have fun, m'kay?

[b]Impact[/b]
Some members of the Anti-Cat-Defamation-League were worried that this incident might sacre cats away from joining OB in the future. However, James has moved quickly to dispell this concern, stating that cats are welcome to join OB, just as long as they can be understood.

[b]Further Reading:[/b]

>[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57169&page=1&pp=15]Don't Put Naps to Sleep: Save fun on OB![/url]
>[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/announcement.php?f=58]Announcement:A Little of the Ol' Ultra-Fun [/url]
>[url=http://naps.vox.com] The personal blog of Naps[/url]

[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l207/lvOutlaw13/adamsangels.jpg[/img]
[I]A Picture of the Angels, drawn by Queen Asuka[/I]

[B]Adam?s Angels[/B] were founded in November of 2001. Back when the boards were young, [B]BabyGir[/B]l (AKA Jenna) a ?Super Moderator of General Otaku? had noticed a picture of [B]Lady Macaiodh [/B] (AKA Deborah) in a thread about member?s pictures, which together formed a team of two beautiful women called ?Adam?s Angels?. Both were fans of Adam, creator of the OtakuBoards. They joked that all they needed was a blonde, and they could create Adam's Angels. A very close friend of[B] Queen Asuka [/B] (AKA Tori), Anna, nominated QA for the position of the Blonde. They later posted her picture and she was accepted into the trio. They then sported around in their sigs "Adam's Angels: One of the Elite."

Queen Asuka, former moderator, still visits the boards from time to time, but not as much as she used to. BabyGirl, no longer a Super Moderator, does not visit the OtakuBoards anymore. As for Lady Macaiodh, after a difficult loss of her premature baby, Christophe, she went through an even more difficult separation from her husband and stopped coming to the boards as much as she used to. Now, she doesn?t visit nearly at all. But, that doesn?t mean the Angels are broken up, they still keep in touch with each other, and are very well-known throughout the boards? history.

[color=deeppink]Adding a bit to the Angel's article. With 30% more shameless self-promotion![/color]

The formation of Adam's Angels sparked a craze among the members of OB. Several imitators and rivals popped up, among them Nerdsy's Nerds, notable for not only having the most members but for including forum legend Piromunkie, famous for actually being married to Angel member Queen Asuka. The Angels also started the "gradiant colors" fad, which usually involved a play on their motto, "The Elite."

[color=deeppink]Okay, need some advice. I intend to go through the staff timeline again sometime soon to correct mistakes, but I've no idea what to do with the forums that are contstantly splitting up and reforming. Mainly, the Nintendo-related forums, which pretty much went from "Nintendo" to "Gamecube" (seperate forum from "Gameboy") back to "Nintendo" and then it changed again. Same with PC/X-Box/Mac. It got so bad I didn't even list part of Tony's tenure.

I could certainly include each variation as a seperate forum, but can anyone else think of something better? (Read: Easier.)[/color]

[QUOTE=Nerdsy][color=deeppink]
I could certainly include each variation as a seperate forum, but can anyone else think of something better? (Read: Easier.)[/color][/QUOTE]

I have to admit, the current staff timeline is a mess. It definitely needs the clarity you are looking for.

Since currently there are two formats of listing used in it (chronological for newer staff, and sorted by person for older staff starting from Drix D'zanth), I would suggest that it would be turned entirely chronological.

It would start from the first known roster of mods, and whenever someone would quit, join or change position, there would be a mention of it.

So it would be just a simple, yet long, timeline (and that way you wouldn't have to separate what forum became what).

[size=1]I think the best thing to do might just be to break up the staff timeline into different sections, each based on versions of the boards. Simply list each section of the boards, and each staff member who held a position in those forums. Then at the bottom you can list other staff, like admins or technical directors or whatnot.

It seems like it would be much more organized than trying to create an actual timeline for all of these dozens of people, and you could get it done in sections rather than trying to do it all at once.

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE=Sandy]I have to admit, the current staff timeline is a mess. It definitely needs the clarity you are looking for.

Since currently there are two formats of listing used in it (chronological for newer staff, and sorted by person for older staff starting from Drix D'zanth), I would suggest that it would be turned entirely chronological.

It would start from the first known roster of mods, and whenever someone would quit, join or change position, there would be a mention of it.

So it would be just a simple, yet long, timeline (and that way you wouldn't have to separate what forum became what).[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]The section beginning with Drix is still sorted chronologically, just in a vastly different way. Although I certainly agree that we should have a uniform format; I was gathering information, and that format was the easiest for that, but I didn't expect it to be used.

I'll wait for a consensus before editing the list (I myself am not fond of the format taken from the Staff forum).

Even if we go for the your suggestion, Sandy, we'll still have to seperate what forum became what. PC Gaming/X-Box changing to PC/Mac and that represented a major shift in the forum, with all X-Box talk switched over to the newly created Microsoft forum. I think something like that should be noted.

It's not as complex as I remember it, thankfully, so it really shouldn't be a problem. I'll just treat them as seperate forums.[/color]

[COLOR=HotPink][B]Well...here's my article for Sara. Thanks to Shy for most of the information. This is all I know about for now, so feel free to update.[/B][/COLOR]

[B]Sara[/B] has been a major part of the OtakuBoards, and one of the members that have been on since v1. Originally, she joined as [B]Cynic-42 [/B] on March 29, 2001 and later changed her username to [B]Cera[/B], then [B]Sara[/B], then [B]Lore[/B], and then [B]Sara[/B] again.

In her history on the OB she has made such threads as [B]The Otaku Yearbook[/B], which was a successful thread of the OB?s past and a celebration of its members. As well as other well-remembered threads such as [B]Draw My Character!, [/B] which was a thread in which members would draw each others characters in their own way, and [B]Harem of Celebrity Lust[/B], another successful thread bursting with posts of members? favorite celebrities. In 2006, she collaborated with Sandy to make the OB?s first illustrated RPG, called ?[B]City[/B]?.

Other than popular threads, Sara was also a former Digimon moderator, in addition to being Category Moderator of General Otaku, as it was known back in the day. She's been an incredibly prolific contributor to theOtaku.com's greeting cards site, where she made literally hundreds. Other than that, Sara has made so many other contributions to the OB, that cannot be accurately defined in any way. To this day, Sara still visits the OB frequently, and is still quite a popular member.

[size=1]Great stuff, Nomura.

I tried to contribute as much as I could with this edit I just did. Anyone should feel free to add as much as they can to her. She deserves it!

[b]Sara[/b] (also Lore and Cera) originally joined OtakuBoards as Cynic-42 on March 29, 2001. She is a former moderator of several forums (most notably Otaku Public,) and her contributions have been invaluable to the OtakuBoards community and also theOtaku.com's network of sites.

Like many members at the time, Sara discovered OtakuBoards' through theOtaku.com's comprehensive Digimon section. Her love of the show and sparkling personality made her quick friends with OB's legendary 'Digi-Peeps," most notably Ginnylyn, Nerdsy and Shy. Sara was soon asked to moderate the Digimon forum, a job she held with dignity for nearly a year before resigning.

However, Sara's work on the boards were not limited to the Digimon forum. She became a regular patron of the General Discussion (now Otaku Lounge) forums, often showing other members why she refers to herself as a 'cynic.' She also embraced a sense of community that fews others had done up until that time, as evident with more lighthearted threads such as 'Otaku Yearbook.' It was these sorts of things that made her the obvious choice to become OtakuBoards' first Category Moderator of the Otaku Public (now Community) section.

Her creative works should also be noted, as she has been a regular in the Art and Creative Writing areas of the boards for years. Not only did her posts display her own exceptional talent in these areas, but she also attempted to involve and spotlight others. Threads such as 'Draw My Character!' and '55 Fiction' became staples of their respective forums, and are among the most popular and active the boards have ever seen. Sara also created hundreds of original greeting cards and wallpapers for theOtaku.com, and served as the primary editor of Adam's 'Art of Otaku' E-Book.

Sara eventually resigned from Otaku Public, but remains semi-active on the boards to this day. She is a friend and role-model to all members (well, almost) and is one of the most prominent OtakuBoards members of all time.

[b]Trivia![/b]

Sara was once known for her witty signatures, which included sayings such as "The [i]extreme[/i] irony" and "Pillage [i]before[/i] you burn."

Sara, along with Nerdsy and Shy, are the only three members of The Otaku Triad.

-Shy[/size]

Alright Charles, here's the one on the dog. I hope it's what you are looking for.

[B]Aaryanna ? The Dog.[/B] Aaryanna is a member in the sense that her owner Bethany when opening her account at OtakuBoards used her name and her pictures for avatars and banners. As well as mentioning her on a regular basis when ever she posts.

Never in her wildest doggie dreams did she imagine that it would lead to her being dressed up in silly outfits all for the sake of making equally as silly banners and avatars. Aaryanna has been featured in many forms from simple pictures to pop style to the dreaded outfit with the slogan "my owner is an idiot".

[IMG]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/3112/aaryannaavibydeltanl5.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/8357/aaryannabydeltanq2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2649/popartbichonaviiw2.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7933/popartbichonbannerhw3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/7899/aaryannaavatar01sm1.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5540/aaryannabanner01bh7.jpg[/IMG]

Even now as her owner is participating in a Survivor RPG, Bethany has provided links in her signature to an avatar and banner of Aaryanna. If not openly, somewhere a path to pictures of Aaryanna can be found, keeping with her obsession with her. An obsession that Aaryanna tolerates and on some level shares as the two of them are inseparable, even to the point of Bethany holding her in front of her keyboard when she types.

[COLOR=goldenrod]Just to add on to [B]The Dog [/B]entry since it would be incomplete without this tidbit:

Aaryanna's owner Bethany has also used, and still does, her name and pictures of her for her myOtaku account as well as for entering contests hosted by [url]www.theOtaku.com[/url]. Aaryanna even won an honorable mention in the Samurai 7 Contest, A shameless "take a picture of yourself browsing theOtaku" contest. [URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/samurai_7_contest_winners/1236/][U]Samurai 7 Contest[/U][/URL] Where as you can see, Aaryanna is looking at her very own myOtaku page.[/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

Thread: [b]Dude of Doodles[/b] drawing contest.

Thread: [b]Otakuties[/b]

[u]Members[/u]

[b]Sakura
Vicky
White (come one, he's staff now)
Revelation (come on, she's been staff)
Jokopoko (....again)
The Boss[/b]

I mention myself only because my name is mentioned in about 3 or 4 different articles, but do not have my own. Just thought I'd throw it out there, but disregard if need be.[/color][/size]

Hey, if anyone would like to contribute some more articles, that would be great. As far as I can tell, we only have two (admittedly awesome) articles to put up this week. I don't really want to make an Otakupedia Friday based on two entries; I like to have about four. So, if anyone has anything they would like to write up--please!

[color=Purple][font=Century Gothic]Didn't think I'd be back here.... Anyway, I don't really have time to write anything off the top of my head, but I probably should mention I handled the Battle Arena for a while there....I don't remember any of the time frames though.

Also, I may be a little biased, but I feel Latham Adatym should get a mention. Even if it was a ridiculous collection of mainly incomprehensible descriptions of ....something, it was rather extensive, particularly for an rpg started by somebody who'd never posted anything before.

Also, I can probably provide a few details on my wonderful old friend cloricus at some point...I'll see what I can come up with.
[/font][/color]

[color=crimson]Role Playing on Otaku Boards

Role playing games on OtakuBoards have been a concrete, popular hobby for many members over it's existence. The amount of threads waxes and wanes continually but it never seems to cease.

To role play effectively in the earlier days of the board all you needed was a keyboard and fingers. These role plays were usually sillier, lighter affairs with posts ranging from a sentence to, at most, a couple of poorly written paragraphs. While I call them 'poor' now at the time it was a great deal of fun.

Over time, however, a evolution occurred within the boards itself. Currently there is a very pointed focus on maintaining a rough level of quality and coherence throughout the boards. This was instituted over a period of time and affected the role plays of the board considerably. Extensive sign up sheets and back stories were not always the norm.

Today's role plays are usually quite well written and structured. With the ability to have an underground thread plot points, information and conversation or other out of character affairs the threads are generally much cleaner in appearance and are more guided. Though not every role play is successful or high in quality the good fun of role playing has not diminished from prior times.

Trivia -

*Fads are a common sight within the forum. They usually accompany something popular of the moment- DragonBall Z, Inuyasha, Pokemon, Digimon, X-Men and Naruto are a few worth mentioning.

*The list of good role players is extensive and includes such names as Raiha, Final Flash, Rico, ShyGuy and Gavin.

*Letting people using an image for their appearance is dull and a cop out. (;))

~-~

Open for edits, additions and otherwise.[/color]

[img]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8377/l2a7eb6d3acee9d005f5e5awu6.jpg[/img]

[size=1][b]DeathKnight[/b]

DeathKnight (Ken) joined the boards on October 5th, 2001. He is a former moderator of the PC/Mac forum, and is known for his writing ability, dry humor and cutting sarcasm.

Due to home schooling and an abundance of free time Ken became drawn to OtakuBoards through theOtaku.com?s Dragonball Z section. Immediately after joining he ?spammed it up,? posting over 60 times a day for nearly a month. These posts were first confined to the Dragonball Z and General Otaku (now Otaku Lounge) forums, but eventually spread into other gaming and creative writing areas of the boards. These initial posts put him in conflict with OB staff, but Ken always managed to just barely avoid moderator intervention and banning.

However, the spammy nature of the Games & Stories (now Adventure Square) forum suited his posting style to a tee, and he soon found himself participating in and creating dozens of successful RPGs during this period. These included some of the most popular RPGs the boards have ever seen, including [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=7419]Mercenaries[/url] and [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=7419]Apocalypse[/url].

During his first summer on OB Ken signed up for OtakuBoards? first true ?event,? the legendary [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=16212]Otaku Big Brother 2[/url]. There he was responsible for giving life to Queen Asuka?s ?plushies,? and inadvertently spawned an OtakuBoards obsession that continues to this day. At the end of the competition Ken was chosen as the winner.

Over time Ken?s post quality rose along with that of the boards, and in early 2003 he was chosen as a moderator for the PC/Mac forum. Due to the forum?s slow activity boredom quickly set in, and he chose to entertain himself by posting off-topic discussion and numerous profanities on a regular basis. It wasn?t long before this put him at odds with the rest of the staff, and he was de-modded within the year. Also during this time Ken served as a moderator of AE Boards, where he was also fired as a result of his personal conflicts with Rick Hunter.

Despite this setback he has shown no animosity, and has remained consistently active since first registering. Ken takes great pride in the contributions he has made (and continues to make) towards raising the quality of discussion and creative writing on the site he calls his internet home.

-Shy

PS: Please feel free to add/edit the article for typos and factual errors.[/size]

[COLOR=Indigo]With the recent change to the site it occurred to me that it might be fun to have an article on the history of different banners used for the site. The only problem I see with such an article is I think it would be more fun if it actually had the different top banners posted in it. So the question is, does anyone have those saved to their computer? Or perhaps we could ask you James to provide them for use in an article about the different versions and look of OB over the years.[/COLOR]

That would definitely be awesome but I [i]think[/i] I remember James telling me that he lost all of that data on his computer. It would be great if we could dig up as many of the banners as possible though. Or maybe get some insight on some of the skins, such as the Geisha skin.

I tried to see if I could find any of the older banners and was only able to find three of them using the wayback machine. Most of the time none of the images would load up for me.

Well, here?s what I found.

[img]http://i14.tinypic.com/5x78u1s.gif[/img]

[img]http://i15.tinypic.com/6covic4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i16.tinypic.com/5ywmno7.jpg[/img]

Not a lot, but it?s a start.

[color=deeppink]It's come to my attention that OB has started blocking some sections of archive.org. Something about automated crawlers. Is there some we we can allow the ones from there?

EDIT: Sorry, not crawlers. [url=http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://otakuboards.com/images/logo.jpg]Here's[/url] what I'm talking about.[/color]

[quote name='Treble] [img']http://i15.tinypic.com/6covic4.jpg[/img][/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]This banner always cracked me up, because I thought it looked like a centaur. Does anyone else see that?

I suppose it's worth mentioning (though it's obvious from even the examples shown) that the "banner" used to be just a small logo-style image at the top, not a screen-spanning work of art.

Also, the board had banner/logo contests as early as 2001. The first one I recall, they simply ended up rotating through all the submissions ([b]thimoc[/b]'s MS-paint stick figure logo was the first one up), but the rotation stopped long before every submission had been featured... I only remember a couple days of different banners, but maybe Nerdsy or another oldie can confirm or deny that.[/size][/color]