OtakuBoards

Otakupedia Entries/Suggestions/Discussion thread

Charles

[QUOTE=Japan_86][COLOR=DarkRed][U][B]Honorable mentions and unknown contributors[/B][/U]
cynic042 [b]Sara[/b]
madsatirist [b]Alex/Poisontongue[/b][/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#b0000b][size=1]Is there an article about OBChat? I feel like that's where Juuthena came from.[/size][/color]

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[quote name='Sara][color=#b0000b][size=1]Is there an article about OBChat? I feel like that's where Juuthena came from.[/size'][/color][/quote]
[size=1]You are correct! Juu was a former moderator of OBChat (Although I should use that term loosely. I don't think any real moderation was ever done in the chat rooms.) I know a couple of former members here were also staff members for OBChat, although I can't think of anyone other than Juu.

The Wayback Machine isn't providing much help in this area, either, since I don't think the chat moderators were ever listed on the site. I imagine Adam might have a list of old chat moderators, seeing as he hired them all.

-Shy[/size]

[color=deeppink]Here's a little more mod info. I intend to try and fix up the list I made sometime during the next few days, but that's not a promise. Also, I've noticed Alexander still hasn't been put into the Former Staff category.[/color]

Zeh: Dragonball (Nov 10 ~ Dec 01, 2000 to Jul 21 ~ Sep 22, 2001)

john: Portable Systems (??? to Oct 05 ~ Nov 10, 2000); Big Systems (??? to May 31 ~ Aug 15, 2000)

Lupus: Pokemon (May 31 ~ Aug 15, 2000 to Oct 05 ~ Nov 10, 2000)

Gotenks2313: Dragonball (May 31 ~ Aug 15, 2000 to Oct 05 ~ Nov 10, 2000)

Spida18: Pokemon (??? to May 31 ~ Aug 15, 2000)

zomby: Big Systems (??? to May 31 ~ Aug 15, 2000)

[font=arial]It's only a small thing, but theOtaku.com Chat really had nothing to do with OtakuBoards. We had no links to it from here as far as I recall and even on theOtaku.com it wasn't a major feature. [i]Years[/i] ago I think it was more popular, but it largely became a wasteland in its final years.

When it was closed, several people turned to OB as the only discussion area within the network.[/font]

[QUOTE=Japan_86][COLOR=DarkRed]elite dragon0 (Red)
abob Ttef otaku (Boba Fett)
darkordernighto (Corey)
el kazuko (Kazuko)
nintendo heretic (Me)
luzesybelitas (I think this was Sarah (future girl is her current OB screen name, I believe), but I'm not 100% sure.)
kaisuke xero (Kenji... apparently he goes by 'Syn' now though)[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Those are the names I remember. I recognize dramatic zach, as well, but I can't remember the name of that particular person.

[color=#4B0082]The chat log of Teh Silly Circus is available [url=http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/rupees/otakufiles/chatlogs/2004/01-22-04-tehsillycircus.txt][u]here[/u][/url] if you want to include a link to it. Though I'd upload it to the Otakupedia site and link to it from there, to keep everything together.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Oh how I love thinking back to the good ol' days. I'm always happy to read of our old members.

I've galnced at every post in this thread, all nineteen pages, and I don't think anything about [b]Topaz[/b] has been fully done. So I am here to save the day! I it has been posted, my mistake. ^,^;

I was almost obsessed with her because of her art. I actually have her to thank for getting me to evolve even more in my art. I used to go into the Otaku chatroom and boast of her awesome work to everyone, lol. When I met her she was 17 years old, I was a mere fourteen.

[U][b]TOPAZ[/b][/U]

Her real name was Mary Young, born October 23, 1983. She lived in, I think South Carolina, or North. I'm not sure. The name Topaz she used because that was the name of her dog; she loved her dog. She was part Japanese, and loved Vegeta. Topaz had created a character for herself called [COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://inkript.250free.com/ZERO.jpg]Zero[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR].

Here is a picture of her I still have on my computer, all this time. [COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://inkript.250free.com/Topaz.jpg]TOPAZ[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR]

Everyone knew her in the art section, she was always posting work. She had a reputation for drawing the DBZ characters with her own 'punk' style, and for drawing characters for other OB members upon request. She drew one for me, heh.
[COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://inkript.250free.com/trohan.jpg]Trohan[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR]

She had a website, of which I was a regular on. OpenLegends. Which you can find [COLOR=RED][[/COLOR][URL=http://web.archive.org/web/20020604125747/www.openlegends.n3.net/]here[/URL][COLOR=RED]][/COLOR]. MasterFork was part of the forums on her site, actually I think it was run by him. Those forums are still up today, however it has nothing to do with her site anymore. [COLOR=RED][[/COLOR]Deleted forum URL[COLOR=RED]][/COLOR]

On her website I still have an art section, and my website is one of her affilates. My little brother's site is in her Links section.

I derived my whole art style from her, and from time to time I still try to mimik the large pants and punky DBZ look. I still absolutely love it. Although my art style has matured alot since then, ha. I have a folder literally bulgy with her artwork that I printed out back in 2001.

She also did a character for will2x and Vudukanaka. Vudukanaka has his own art section there aswell, and his site is in her affilates(third one down), he was also known as Vecon.

If I think of anything else I'll add it.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Flash]

Good to see you oldies are still kicking it--Sara, James, Charles (CWB ;p), AJeh, Desbreko... [b]Jeremiah i'm not familiar with. A new name for an old friend, perhaps?[/b]

I'd love to catch up. You guys still all chat on AIM or what? Let me know!

- Connor AKA Final "I couldn't remember my username or password" Flash[/QUOTE]
Indeed. I'm probably best known for 3 names; Saiyangohan2002, Nuchlear and Shinje, I'm from Christchurch, New Zealand, a fellow Kiwi. It's great to see you again Flash, I'll have to resurrect my AIM handle. :animesmil

[color=deeppink]I thought I'd post up the links to all the wayback searches I've been doing. I imagine most people are simply searching "otakuboards.com," but there are other searches that bring up older information.

[URL=http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://otakuboards.com]otakuboards.com[/URL]: Standard. I'm listing it here for the sake of completion.

[URL=http://web.archive.org/web/*/theotaku.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi]theotaku.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi[/URL]: Otaku's older address, before we became Otakuboards.

[URL=http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://absolutegb.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi]absolutegb.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi[/URL]: The old AGB forums. Note the horrendous brown used in the earlier designs.

[URL=http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://server3.ezboard.com/babsolutegbforum]server3.ezboard.com/babsolutegbforum[/URL]: The old ezboards. Not really much to find here, methinks, but again. Completion.

Also, a suggestion. Perhaps we could add an Otaku Legends category? Basically for OBers who have had the most impact on the boards.[/color]

[font=arial]Wow, I am so pleased to see all of this info coming out...Otakupedia lives on! Heheh.

Guess who I received a message from not long ago? None other than the ridiculously cool Clay Jones! Who remembers him?

He was a great friend and he was always wonderful to work with - I will have to see if I can put together an Otakupedia piece about him. He was one of our most important early staff and his work is still on display today (if you ever see Adam's posts on theOtaku and on his myOtaku you will see the little cartoon version of himself...that was produced by Clay; he also did a cartoon version of me and a couple of other staff I believe).

Clay says he still has some of his old AGB comics. I would [i]love[/i] to see those posted on Otakupedia - they would almost deserve a section for themselves, many of them were very cool.

I'll speak to Clay soon hopefully and see what work is still lying around.[/font]

[SIZE=1]Whoo, boy I love this!

Here are more oldies.

[COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://web.archive.org/web/20020929211200/www.otakuartist.com/]Art site[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR] - Look, I just updated, lol!

[COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://web.archive.org/web/20020603071316/theotaku.com/]theOtaku v.3[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://web.archive.org/web/20020602043730/otakupoetry.com/]OB poetry[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR]

I think I have a few of our old logos on my computer I could post. :p[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Nerdsy][color=deeppink]
Also, a suggestion. Perhaps we could add an Otaku Legends category? Basically for OBers who have had the most impact on the boards.[/color][/QUOTE]

I always thought it would be cool if we had a "Hall of Fame" induction ceremony here once a year. Maybe we could usher in about five people every year and include that in Otakupedia as a category.

Otherwise, I wouldn't mind adding a "Legends" category, but it might be tough since it would basically be very subjective if not decided by several members.

Oh yes, and I have posted a small update on the Otakupedia's main page.

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX][SIZE=1]Whatever happened to [COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=1659]Spikey[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR']? Wasn't he Nerdsy's little brother?[/SIZE][/quote]

Ooooh yeah. I remember him! He always used to IM me. I think I blocked him on AIM at some point; I cannot remember for sure.

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX][SIZE=1]Whatever happened to [COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=1659]Spikey[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR']? Wasn't he Nerdsy's little brother?[/SIZE][/quote]

[color=deeppink]He's out of his anime phase and is now into the wannabe gangster phase. I had his myspace at some point, but I seem ot have lost it. *shrugs*[/color]

[QUOTE=SaiyanPrincessX][SIZE=1]
I've galnced at every post in this thread, all nineteen pages, and I don't think anything about [b]Topaz[/b] has been fully done. So I am here to save the day! I it has been posted, my mistake. ^,^;[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Topaz~!

She was actually the reason I found and joined theO/OtakuBoards. I was googling for information about my birthstone (topaz) and accidently stumbled across her art on theOtaku and since I loved DBZ at the time I just grew attached to theO and eventually drifted over to OB in [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=4411]January '03.[/url] :)

Ahaha, my history here is so fascinating![/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']He's out of his anime phase and is now into the wannabe gangster phase. I had his myspace at some point, but I seem ot have lost it. *shrugs*[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Oh that is so sad.

Stupid ganster phase! Word.

Anyway, I just found the old site Queen Asuka had up of pictures from most members of OB at that time.

[COLOR=RED]>[/COLOR][URL=http://www.angelfire.com/punk3/otakupictures/index.html]The Many Faces of OB[/URL][COLOR=RED]<[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

[size=1]I've been spending a lot of time in The Arena this week and I was wondering if anyone else remembered an awesome old RPG called [b]Final Quest for Glory[/b] I can't recall who started it, but Charles, Raiha and I all posted in there pretty frequently around 2001/2002. The premise was truly original for its' time, and I'm thinking of coming up with a revamp/sequel. This really was one of those RPGs that changed the face of OB, very much along the same lines as Meteo City or Kill Adam.

I remember there seemed to be some sort of issue with Final Quest for Glory being deleted, so if I were to write an Otakupedia article maybe I could include some information about that. Does anyone else even remember what I'm talking about? Charles?

-Shy[/size]

Wow! The nostalgia!

Sometimes I think you live in my head, Shy. I was just thinking about FQFG. The other day as I was sifting through the staff forum, I noticed an old thread by RicoTranzrig about declining post counts related to the deletion of this RPG. Some staff members lost approximately 200 posts each!

It sort of bothers me that no one really gives FQFG its just due. Honestly, I think that the concept alone was what inspired me to even get into roleplaying at all; it was just so timeless and addicting. It was one of those RPGs that defined OtakuBoards at the time if you were a part of it. I'm sure that if we launched a new version, today's members would be in awe because really, I think that it's something that [i]everyone[/i] could commonly enjoy.

It's just a shame that the old thread isn't around anymore. We never really found out who deleted it. Maybe someone was so addicted to it, they had to do away with it. Who knows. lol

If you can get an article going, we will have to have an Otakupedia Friday theme dedicated to it.

[B]Edit[/B]: Just an update here. Obviously, we really didn't get anything in the way of submissions this week. That, coupled with this being the end of my final semester, means that I have been too strapped for time to write up enough articles myself to warrant an official update. So, there won't be an Otakupedia Friday tomorrow, but have no worries, it will return the following week. There are some articles that I am indeed working on and if no one makes any submissions by next Friday, I should have enough done to do an update. Specifically, I really want to do a theme on Final Quest For Glory for the next Otakupedia Friday, so I want to allow Shy the time to pull enough together to make that worthwhile.

[color=deeppink]Yeah, sorry Charlie (lawl), I kinda dropped the ball this week. I should have a couple next week, if I get around to it. I've got a quick correction, though; Shy originally registered as shyguy511, not Shyguy.

I've also found [URL=http://web.archive.org/web/20010718143016/www.otakuboards.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=000007]this link[/URL] regarding some new modships in V2. I'll try and include what I can get from that in my eventual rehaul of my list, but if someone beats me to it that's fine too.

EDIT: This feels like I'm showing off, but I'd really like for my article to mention how in over six years I've never removed "Beware the nerds!" from my signature. As far as I know, no active member has had a sig that consistent. I've had it there since I registered.

EDIT EDIT: Somebody post something already!

Article on Ben.[/color]

Ben (registered in April of 2001) is a long-time member of Otakuboards. He quickly became known for his love of Puppetmon and his utter lack of modesty, and was a prominent poster in the popular Digimon forum during its heyday.

Ben was an avid roleplayer, and he participated in many popular RPGs including the immensely popular Digistory, where he delighted in playing a villain that could be described as ?Ken if was [I]truly[/I] evil.? Among his other notable endeavors are When Humans are the Enemy and Hero. He also introduced fanfiction to the Pokemon forum with his story on mutated Cubones, which proved to be very popular (if unfinished).

Ben?s title, as of May 2007, is ?Forgotten Oldie,? a reputation not helped by his lack of activity. He has recently attained the holy grail of the otaku: a girlfriend who plays video game and watches anime. Ben has spent his recent leisure time losing his soul to World of Warcraft and growing a beard that is threatening to eat his face.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Not that I deserve one, but I was bored and I've been reflecting on my OB past quite a bit recently. As a person who's been here almost 4 years, I'd say I've at least made a place for myself here at OB (even if that place happens to be the bottom of the food-chain, lol)

[B]Tical / 21st Century Digital Boy[/B]

Tical first joined the OB several days before his 12th birthday on August 1st, 2003. He had first found the site in a search for anime forums with his cousin, who also signed up as [B]Otaku_Samurai88[/B]. Almost immediately after joining he first began talking to [B]Ryoko T.D.C[/B]., who shared his birthday, and [B]Double B. Daigo [/B] (currently [B]The Boss[/B]) who invited him to join his Trigun RP. Despite not signing up, he entered the RP and days later ended up ending it with the help of a member named [B]Lone Bebop[/B]. After only a month on the boards and 500 posts, Tical made the mistake of unearthing several old threads without realizing that he wasn?t supposed to. This, combined with his tendency to use abundant caps while posting, got him banned.

Tical fell back on his cousin?s profile, Otaku_Samurai88, while simultaneously controlling an account he created for his brother named [B]MetalSonic700[/B]. Tical dreamed of becoming one of the respected members of the OB and so decided to try and up his post quality and try to concentrate on spelling things correctly in hopes of becoming part of [B]Drix D?Zanth?s [/B] club for smart people. For reasons still unknown, the MS700 profile was abandoned (probably lack of password remembrance) and Tical took on his next account, [B]Kyo No Ryu[/B].

Under the name Kyo No Ryu, Tical had quite a few friends, such as [B]Annie [/B] and [B]Chichiri?s Girl[/B]. He seemed to be obsessed with killing or something and participated in a few RPs, one of said experiences gained him the eternal hatred of popular member [B]KKC[/B]. Due to some logout problems, and having lost both the password and email address used to create the account, he abandoned it, and created a sock puppet. After some apparently bad things being done, Tical earned himself an IP ban.

Tical took a break from OB for a few months afterward?

Then eventually reappeared as [B]ThatOneOddDude [/B] (after having moved, which apparently does things to your IP or something?). The new profile was much more mature than the previous one, and for the most part all of his posts were concentrated in the Hardwired forum. Over time his name evolved into [B]ThoraxtheImpaler[/B]. At some point, during a strange transitional period in his life, Tical started becoming more a member of the debate threads that often raged in the Otaku Lounge and was known for being fairly uneducated in his reasoning. His name became [B]Hug_Monster [/B] due to said strange obsession, then to [B]? Nomad Tical ?[/B] after said obsession passed. During this time his posts became concentrated almost solely in the OB Anthology.

Later his name would change back to [B]Tical [/B] and then to [B]Tical Blue[/B]. During this time his posts crossed all over the place, though they were mostly focused in the Music, Movies, and TV forum. Tical generally was viewed as one of the less-liked members and often yelled at for his violence toward Christianity and obsession with lesbianism.

After another brake and transitional period, Tical decided to abandon his name because of the negative connotations attached both inside and outside of OB. He started anew as[B] F.O.Y[/B] (Fluorescent Optic Yellow) in late 2006 (soon changing his name to [B]2006DigitalBoy [/B] and 2007 with the new year.) DB?s posting quality saw dramatic improvement as did his overall maturity level. In recent times he has had a lot of trouble with the moderators over his tendency to ?play mod? and has been threatened with being banned again.

Tical/DB is mostly known for his utterly prolific posting and his sucking at debates. Currently he mostly teams up with [B]Jakehammaren[/B], his fellow metal-head, [B]Blasé[/B], his fellow lesbian, and [B]Forgotten-Hero[/B], who he considers his pupil and the only person anywhere near as disrespected as he is.[/COLOR]

[color=deeppink]Is there a place we could put a list of the requested articles? It's kind of taxing to go through the whole thread looking for everything.

I've taken the liberty and compiled the list. I've only included that which was specifically asked for, and not any of the names that were dropped while people were reminiscing.[/color]

Adam's Angels
Piromunkie
[strike]Justin[/strike]
Queen Asuka
Anna
wrist cutter
Boba Fett
Mod Rods
Warlock
The Harlequin
Mitch
Nomad