OtakuBoards

Otakupedia Entries/Suggestions/Discussion thread

Charles

[size=1]Zeh was never a Super Moderator. Perhaps James, or someone more directly involved with Zeh's banning could edit his entry. I don't recall Flash moderating the Sony Forum, either.

Anyway, I edited in The Daily Otaku articles. I guess we'll wait on putting in the Charles article until White posts his. Between the two of them we'll end up with a much more complete entry.

When is someone going to write the Project Gamer article?

-Shy[/size]

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[color=#4B0082]I don't think Final Flash ever modded in the Gaming Otaku section (i.e. the Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft forums). He modded in the Final Fantasy forum for quite a while but that's all I remember him doing in the gaming forums. And after kuja was dismissed I took his place as the super moderator of Series Otaku (which housed the Final Fantasy, Pokemon, and Zelda forums), and RicoTranzrig was super mod of Gaming Otaku, so he wouldn't have been a super mod in either of the gaming sections.

When Flash finally was made a super mod it was of the newly formed Otaku Arena section during version 6. He'd been a mod of the Games & Stories forum for as long as I can remember and he seemed the obvious choice for the job. He held that position until he resigned on August 6, 2003.

Oh, and his name was originally Final_Flash with an underscore. I forget when he finally had it changed to a space but I do remember him being rather obstinate about keeping the underscore for a while.

As for Zeh, Shy is right; he was never a super mod. He only ever modded in the Final Fantasy forum during versions 4 through 6 until he was dismissed and banned. Also, he went by Cloud before changing his name to Tasis. I can't remember if he used Cloud Strife before that, though.

A good source of old name changes, by the way, is the list I have on [url=http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/rupees/otakufiles/misc/namechanges.php][u]OtakuFiles[/u][/url]. It's old and hasn't been updated in years but it does contain such gems as jcgoudy and mirai_torankusu. :p[/color]

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]
As for Zeh, Shy is right; he was never a super mod. He only ever modded in the Final Fantasy forum during versions 4 through 6 until he was dismissed and banned. Also, he went by Cloud before changing his name to Tasis. I can't remember if he used Cloud Strife before that, though.[/color][/QUOTE]

[font=arial][size=1]No, I'm pretty sure he started out as Cloud. There was someone else named Cloud Strife, I know this because I had to join as Cloud Strife00 way back when. XD[/font][/size]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Alright, here's my little add-on to what Japan said.

[indent]May, 2001. A high school student looking Dragon Ball Z pictures for a school project stumbles across OtakuBoards. He decides to join to spam, going under the most random name he could think of; The Great White Frying Pan Man.

This, of course, is the story of Charles. After a while, Charles quickly grew attached to OtakuBoards and decided that, when the forum went down to upgrade to v3, Charles changed his name to Crazy White Boy as the character limit wouldn?t allow TGWFPM anymore. In March of 2003, Crazy White Boy became Site Administrator and changed his screen name to Charles. He was Site Administrator up until early 2005, when he retired due to inactivity.

However, May 21st, 2006, he was re-invited to join the staff as Moderator of Play It and accepted. He later became CATegory Moderator and remains in that position right now.

Charles has given so much to OtakuBoards. Among the plenty of things Charles has done for OB, one thing that sticks out a lot is Project Gamer, arguably one of the best RPs OtakuBoards has ever seen. PG was based on video games, not anime. Each person played a video game character in a very large world made up by the members. There was a website for the RP (which still exists) that had a store, character biography's, and the like just proving its greatness.

Probably the key thing that people will remember Charles by is his humor and his pictures which both tie together a lot. Every once in a while, Charles will reply to someone with not words but a picture. Sometimes the picture has words, but whether it does or not, it?s always hilarious. Many people have tried to copy this style of humor from Charles, but in the end they usually fail.

Charles remains to be one of the most well-known OtakuBoards members out there and will always have a large place in OB history.[/indent][/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Nerdsy][color=deeppink]Zeh's first name was actually Trunks, way back in v1.

Oh, wow, Des, I had completely forgot that you were jcgoudy. For some reason, I remembered you as two different people. :blush:[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]He was Zayle for a while too. That's where the Z came from in Zeh, when the whole Break 'eh' jumpoff happened lol.

*is proud lone survivor of 'eh' handle*[/size]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082]A good source of old name changes, by the way, is the list I have on [url=http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/rupees/otakufiles/misc/namechanges.php][u]OtakuFiles[/u][/url']. It's old and hasn't been updated in years but it does contain such gems as jcgoudy and mirai_torankusu. :p[/color][/quote]

Why must you drag me into this with you? :mad:

I'd be willing to write an article about tehsillycircus when I get the time. Before that, I need to get in contact with Syk3 to straighten out a few facts. Maybe I'll write about a couple of other things as well.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Shinmaru (also known as Shin, Mick, and biatch) is a popular member who is reknown for his exceptional writing skill. He originally came to OB as mirai_torankusu, but quickly changed his name when he realised everyone thought he was a n00b. He was promoted to mod of Nintendo almost instantly after de-n00bifying himself, but did very little modding as Nintendo was a ghost town at the time. Despite this, his Nintendo mod status was mocked heavily in the opening chapters of Enter the Net, despite the fact that Shinmaru actually owned and appreciated other consoles.

When v7 came around, Shin became a mod of Play It, and stayed there for many months until college gave him a Stone Cold Stunner hard enough to destroy his ability to mod for months, if not years (this is because, unlike other college age OB members, Shin actually cares about his grades enough to study and do homework instead of mod). He continues to post at OB though, all over the boards like a wandering samurai.

Apart from his modding, Shin is perhaps best known for making Syk3 sammiches, being Desbreko's biatch (for nad-kicking), knowing more about wrestling than a hip Californian should, and posting complex and deep stories in OB Anthology. Though some might not, Shin considers this a legacy to be proud of.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]Note: this article is my assignment to the Otaku Idol 2 contest, done in co-operation of SunfallE herself.[/size]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][b]SunfallE[/b][/COLOR]

[b]Category:[/b] OtakuBoards Staff, Desbreko Fangirls

SunfallE joined the OtakuBoards on February the 28th in the year 2005. She is most visible at the Otaku Lounge, which she began to moderate on March the 7th, 2006, at the same time that Aaryanna started patrolling Anime Lounge. Although she?s not the one to spam the boards with new threads, her posts are often thorough (an example could be her thread about [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=49709][b]Seasons[/b][/url]), and she is genuinely concerned about the well-being of the forums, even before she joined the staff, as her [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=47360][b]several[/b][/url] [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=49410][b]threads[/b][/url] to the Suggestions & Feedback show. Her attitude towards members of old and new is kind and respectful, and her patience is admirable.

In real life her legal name is Elizabeth, though she prefers to be called Beth. She lives in Provo, Utah. She?s 36 years old, which is notably over the average age of OB members. But that is only a good thing, as she brings a lot of mature thoughts and arguments into discussion while retaining a youthful attitude. Another quirky detail about her private life is that she used to drive a semi truck along the west coast of the US. She has also said that although she doesn?t know much about websites or html, she knows how to build a computer, thanks to her father having worked with computers and bringing his job home.

As for hobbies, she mentions videogames like Zelda and Tales of Symphonia though recently (she fell for Star Ocean 3), science-fiction (especially Dr. Who) and fantasy literature, as well as keeping a scrap book on Yellowstone National Park.

Her current staple font is [color=RoyalBlue]royal blue[/color], although she has ventured into trying colors such as [color=DarkOliveGreen]dark olive green[/color] in the past.

[b]Notable Trivia:[/b] SunfallE also joined myOtaku on February the 28th in the year 2005 and she began to moderate over at theOtaku on March the 24th, 2006. She takes care of submission reports and helps out with submission approvals from time to time.

[QUOTE=White]However, May 21st, 2006, he was re-invited to join the staff as Moderator of Play It and accepted. He later became CATegory Moderator and remains in that position right now.[color=DimGray][font=Tahoma]
[/font][/color][/QUOTE]
[font=Arial][size=2]He wasn't re-invited, he was [i][b]begged[/b]. [/i]I'd also like to add that he was the creator of such banners as the 'Bwarble' banner, he was my adopted...Grandfather (?)... (or was it a drunken uncle?), he's one of the only people who really had PT's respect and could actually shoot him down, he's a great debater, and his dramatisation of the Mitch/Alex incident was a masterpiece likened to Shakespeare. ^_^ He also blackmailed his way into his CATegory Moderator Status, on account of Des forgetting his birthday... :p He's a mentor to many people, and a friend to many, many more.

Also, Charlie, I'm almost postive that you were [b][i]only[/i][/b] a mod when the Newbie Thread went up, because I started speaking to you on AIM [i]just[/i] after you became an Admin, and I certainly wasn't talking to you for at least 3 months after that thread, because you quoted my posts as being spam. :rolleyes:

Uh, that's all.
[/size][/font]

[quote name='Sandy']She is most visible at the Otaku Lounge, which she began to moderate on March the 7th, 2006 alongside with Aaryanna.[/quote][FONT=Trebuchet MS][i]Bzzzt![/i] Aaryanna is Anime Lounge. Me and Panda are the other two O. Lounge zookeepers.

Will edit in the latest batch, give me half an hour.[/FONT]

I did a pretty big update today since my class was cancelled. I basically tweaked what was already there in the first post, removing some typos, editing some word choice. Very minor stuff there.

But, I also went in and added more links to member profiles and referenced threads, [b]and[/b] I re-organized the notable members in alphabetical order so that it will be easier to navigate through the biographies. :catgirl:

I also added a picture and caption to James' profile.

Overall I'm really happy with how this has turned out. There's still a lot of stuff that needs to be added but I've learned some things about members I would have never known before. For example, did anyone up until now realize that Aaryanna_Mom was Aaryanna's mother? I sure as heck didn't!

Edit: Also, thanks to you who have said kind things about me. And Lady A, you're correct actually; I was only a moderator. I'll fix the article. Thanks!

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]And pretty simultaneously, by the look of things, I've added articles on SunfallE, Shinmaru and Charles. I've tried to amalgamate Japan and White's entries as far as possible, and added in a couple of details / captions / etc.[/font]

[size=1][center][img]http://otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25948&stc=1[/img][/center]

[b]N-Man[/b]

[url=http://otakuboards.com/member.php?userid=148][color=red]N-Man (Nerdsy)[/color][/url] is a popular member of OtakuBoards who on joined March 31, 2001. He is famous for being the self-proclaimed ?King of the Nerds,? and for his vast knowledge of Otaku history and culture. N-Man once served as a moderator, ruling over the Pokemon forum, and is a member of The Otaku Triads clique along with Sara and Shy.

He was incredibly active throughout v2 and v3, posting as much as 100 times a day. Due to his activity in the Pokemon forum, N-Man became its moderator during v2. N-Man?s status as a moderator was not renewed after the switch to v3, although he would get the position back in later versions (and ultimately resign from the position.) He was also active in the Digimon forum, where he formed friendships with the tight-knit community there.

Widely respected for his history with the forums, N-Man is sometimes referred to as the ?Otaku Historian.? Members also know him for his love of ?Mighty Morphin Power Rangers,? and the signature [color=deeppink]deep pink text[/color] he has been writing with for years.

N-Man remains semi-active on the boards to this day.

-Shy[/size]

[color=deeppink]Also, come to think of it, Zeh was a mod back in V1 as well, in the Dragonball forum. I'm pretty sure he was also the original mod of the Final Fantasy forum. I'm having trouble accessing his profile on Archive.org, so I'm not sure exactly how old he was when he was modded, but I know he was a mod December 2000. Does this also make him eleven? If so, he ties with Renee.

James: According to archive.org, your actual account was created in April of 2001. This would be when you went by James_B, if I recall correctly. Did you have an account before that, or were you just a lurker?

[b]Otaku Triad[/b]

The Otaku Triad is a small group consisting of three members, Sara, Shy, and Nerdsy who registered on the 29, 30, and 31 of March, 2001, respectively. They subsequently all became close friends, and upon discovering the coincidence regarding their registration dates decided to start calling themselves the Otaku Triad. This was mostly due to the insistence (and nagging) of Nerdsy.

Eventually, it was decided to allow Ginnylyn, a close friend of the Triad, to join as an honorary member. Due to this, it was occasionally referred to as The Otaku Triad Plus One. There were several other honorary members, including a series of members who were inducted because they were the last ten people to sign up at OB at the time. Their interest was not required.

All the core members of the Triad (and for that matter, Ginny) all became prominent members of Otakuboards. Further, the three core members have all been staff members at one time or another. Sara and Shy in particular; they both became Supermods (the equivalent of a Category Moderator) and Shy eventually became the Event Master.

The Triad have been members of OB for over 5 and a half years.[/color]

[QUOTE=Raiyuu][FONT=Trebuchet MS][i]Bzzzt![/i] Aaryanna is Anime Lounge. Me and Panda are the other two O. Lounge zookeepers.

Will edit in the latest batch, give me half an hour.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Oops! Sorry, I didn't mean it that way! I meant to say that SunfallE and Aaryanna became moderators at the same time. I've changed the wording of the article accordingly.

[B]Edit:[/B] Oh, it already went it. Never mind, then.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Ooooh, I see how you meant it now. And don't worry that it already went in. The whole point of this project is it's constantly evolving and not set in stone - if you've got an edit to your article (or someone else's for that matter) post it and we'll edit it in.[/font]

[QUOTE=Nerdsy][color=deeppink]
James: According to archive.org, your actual account was created in April of 2001. This would be when you went by James_B, if I recall correctly. Did you have an account before that, or were you just a lurker?
[/color][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Yep, that's right. Prior to my involvement at theOtaku.com: Forums, I was writing and editing articles at theOtaku under its various gaming channels. I don't remember the actual date where we moved to V2, but V2 would have to have been one of our most short-lived versions.

I'm also pretty sure I had an account at the AGB forums, but I don't remember what the name was. I was not a staff member on those actual forums though - I only became one when theOtaku.com took over.[/font]

[quote=Shy]I must be counting unnumbered version updates or something. Go figure.

And what do you mean you're paying for it yourself? Is Adam being cheap again? I'm going to be seeing him in January, so I'll beat him a few times if that'll help matters. If not, I'll probably beat him anyway. We have a lot of history together.
[/quote]

[font=arial]Nope, you're not counting unnumbered version updates. We're now on our seventh version. If you were to just count in numerical order, the next version would be Version 8.

As for paying, well, previously all versions have been designed by myself and Justin for free - Justin has never charged for his services. These days he's a very busy man, so I am looking at hiring programmers to work with me on the new site. The new site will be very demanding from a programming point of view, so I feel I will need to pay for the programmers' time.

Considering how much I care about the site's future though, it doesn't bother me to have to spend money on it.[/font]

[color=deeppink]The part of my entry that says deep pink text isn't actually in deep pink, it's in magenta. Deep pink hasn't been an option in the drop-down bar in a couplle versions, you have to write it out. {color=deeppink}{/color}.

James, I'm sorry, but which of my questions were you saying "That's right" to? I'm assuming the lurker, but I'm not entirely sure, heh.

[B]Edit[/b]: Wait, wait, all the information coming together... okay, I think I got it. Nevermind. [/color]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]All right time for my bit on Charles! ^_~ Since most of what I had has already been covered I?ll just add the paragraph that adds on to Charles?s legacy when it comes to using pictures.

[B]Charles:[/B]

In addition to the one-picture post, Charles is well know for making short animated banners for various uses. From closing threads as can been seen here: [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=54642]Super Smash Bros. Melee[/URL] to poking fun at his own unique sense of humor: [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=55034]Charles Goes To Court [PG] (56K no)[/URL] This along with his clever use of one-picture posts has earned Charles the nickname ?God of Internet pictures? among fellow members of OtakuBoards. [/COLOR]

Thanks SunfallE; I now feel that my history is more or less complete. It's awesome having my bio in there. Thanks for taking the time to write about me. :catgirl:

I think within the next day or so I'll write up something on the Hump wars. For a long time that was the biggest thing going on OB, so it's only right that it's a part of Otakupedia. Especially since "The Hump Wars" pretty much helped solidify Safer Sephiroth's status as the most popular male Otaku for a long time.

Also James, I'll be glad to do the banner for OB Evolution for free! :excited:

[color=deeppink]Oh boy, seems my last post was misenterpreted. I don't type in magenta, I type in deep pink.

I was just saying that thewords in the entry themselves were in the wrong color.

It was[/color]

[color=magenta]deep pink text[/color]

instead of

[color=deeppink]deep pink text

which I assume is what was meant. I was also pointing out that deep pink is no longer an option in the dropdown menu, and that the code has to be written out manually. Sorry for not being clear.[/color]

[size=1][color=DimGray]To quote [b]Gavin[/b] exactly,

"Interesting, most interesting."

This is a grand idea. Kudos to [b]Charles[/b]. I would love to contribute to the effort in any way possible, however no methods currently come to mind. I have a few articles I'd like to see written in the future, though:

+ [b]Today's Poem[/b] ([b]Poetry Corner[/b] came first, didn't it?)
+ [b]Star Wars 411[/b]
+ MIA OB'ers
+ [spoiler]Mr. Maul ~_~[/spoiler]
+ Wasn't there a "Quote of the Day" thread?
+ [b]MistressRoxie[/b]'s [b]OB Family Tree[/b]
+ [b]The Reanimatrix[/b]

That's all I've got thus far.

Press onward!

[/color][/size]

[quote name='Mr. Maul][size=1][color=DimGray]+ [b]Star Wars 411[/b][/color'][/size][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Bah, how could I have forgotten the Star Wars 411 thread, heck I'm the one who usually tries to resurrect it every few months with no success. But definitely this was one of OB's big threads a good while back and worthy of an article, especially myself and Alex arguing that the Empire were in fact the good guys.[/SIZE]

[size=1]If someone could make something of the OtakuBoards [b]clone[/b], I'd be happy. Here's the link to the boards themselves: [url=http://obclone.proboards55.com/index.cgi][u]OB Clone[/u][/url]. And here's the thread on OtakuBoards about it: [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=52603][u]What is this Clone?[/u][/url].

Mäh. [/size]