OtakuBoards

Otakupedia Entries/Suggestions/Discussion thread

Charles

[QUOTE=Charles]O

I have even included extra information that Shinje provided from a post he deleted (it was actually helpful, Shinje).
[/QUOTE]
Then I'm glad you got to my post before I did! I was conscious that Wikipedia doesn't allow self-promotion, I thought that could very well translate over here, being a "wiki" and all.

Loved the part you added about S@bretooth being another unfortunate name choice. Hahaha, indeed it was. ;)

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[font=arial]It's probably better for someone else to write about your or one of your creations, but if you write about your own it isn't so bad...afterall, Charles would be essentially proof-reading and editing stuff anyway. So if something were too shameless, I'm sure Charles would probably objectify it a little, so to speak.[/font]

[QUOTE=Shinje]Then I'm glad you got to my post before I did! I was conscious that Wikipedia doesn't allow self-promotion, I thought that could very well translate over here, being a "wiki" and all.

Loved the part you added about S@bretooth being another unfortunate name choice. Hahaha, indeed it was. ;)[/QUOTE]

lol, well keep in mind that since this isn't Wikipedia we can add our own flavor to things, like you see with the tone in Alan's entries and my captions, for example. We can march to the beat of our own drum, I think so that this whole thing reflects us ideally. So although this borrows the basic fundamental from wikipedia, we don't have to be bound quite as rigidly. Of course self promotion could be annoying, but I just really saw your post as clarifying your entry, which is always helpful if we're going to make this as accurate as possible.

Also yeah, I couldn't resist that bit of commentary about the name. Very inspirational story. :cool:

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]"Silpheed Pilot sky rockets the quality of OB" (That would be me for all you new members.)

MAMA? No way. It was me. I ran that show ['that show' being my uprising] and I called out the biggest names there were to call out. MAMA's cause might've been 'secret' and people may have got a laugh out of it but at least my rant actually impacted the OB and since then I've see all kinds of change and re-form. New staff, better discipline and so on so forth. Who cares if I had to go through torture from moderators and people just looking for a flame but at least I ruled enough to get things stirred up; even if it really wasn't my cause to begin with.

If you think about it, not only did I save the boards from Armageddon I was more or less a Site Director. I'm pretty sure you all remember that little rant I spewed out but admit it; I rule and the boards have changed since then. Go me. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

I found this on Archive.org!
[img]http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1354/banner2003ul5.jpg[/img]
This is Syk3's banner. He won a competition to design the OtakuBoard's header when V6 went for a cosmetic upgrade. The result of Syk3's win was the reworking of the entire skin to match it, which used darker, navy blue rather than OtakuBoards' more familiar light blue look. This ended up creating a darker mood and some users felt the new skin was rather depressing.

[color=RoyalBlue][u][b]Brasil[/b][/u][/color]
Category: Old Members

[b]Early Days[/b]

Brasil, better known as PoisonTongue, was a member of OtakuBoards from 2003. Known for his biting critique and take no nonsense attitude, he first came to prominence in the community by being the first to openly question the validity of Rick Hunter's movie script being picked up. His first avatar was one of Simon Cowell from American Idol. This led to some members asking if he actually was Simon, given their personalities matched quite well.

Brasil was arguably at his best in the Anthology area, where he gave prospective writers feedback and critique,which was commonly harsher than the usual feedback given in response to creative works in anthology. This often led to the OP feeling personally insulted, although Brasil would argue that his critiques were aimed solely at the work in question and helping the OP improve at their game. Brasil also fatured a number of his works in anthology, writing essays on modern pop culture and movies such as the Terminator and Star Wars. His essays were usually noted for going against the grain of popular thinking (eg, Star Wars' rebellion is actually the antagonist) and making his points and thesis convincing.

[b]Feud with Mitch and subsequent ban[/b]

Brasil came to feud with former Anthology moderator Mitch. Originally this feud was restricted to Mitch's threads that Brasil decided to critique, but eventually spread out to any thread the two found themselves on opposite sides of the specturm. This led to the spectacular demise of both members memberships here in the 2005 Lounge thread "So I'm goign to run away from home." Which revolved around a troll's threat to run away from home until Brasil and Mitch started opposing each other and ended up taking the thread down into farcical one-image-post-war against each other, in an obvious attempt by both parties to be, or at least look like, Charles. The thread ended up being closed and bothe members got whacked with a ban courtesy of Shy. Charles remains king of the one-image-post.

[b]Later Life
[/b]Brasil continued to post for a few months on his MyOtaku before ceasing to update it some time ago. He re-registered ofr OtakuBoards in 2006 under the name [b]Papa Smurf[/b], and was re-banned recently for reasons unknown to the lay membership. He continues to write articles for SomeFantastic, a web based pop culture 'Zine.

[b]Trivia:[/b]
Former/other usernames that Barzil is known as are: PoisonTongue, Amine*Fangurl*441, Bean, Siren, Papa Smurf.

[font=arial]If you want to know the reasons behind Papa Smurf's ban, just read the Twilight Princess thread in Play It. I understand that knowing the reason behind the ban may not equate to [i]agreeing[/i] with it, but it would be reasonable to say that the reasons listed were my reasons for doing so (there doesn't need to be a reflection as to whether or not this was right or wrong). But that inclusion is entirely up to you or Charles.[/font]

[color=crimson]Someone with a better memory of the [b]Padded Room Party[/b] can add in details that I miss or get wrong since that was.. pretty far back.

Seed entry

[b]The Rise and Fall of the Padded Room Party[/b]
Categories: Notable old threads, Notable V3 Role Playing Threads, V3 Role Playing Trends

The Padded Room Party was one of the largest and arguably spammiest 'role playing' threads to ever exist. The PRP was typical of most V3 role playing threads- little to no premise, little to no character development and, basically, just chaotic action-oriented posts with a weak (or nonexistent) overlaying narrative. The posts contained numerous references to what was popular at the time- Dragon Ball Z, typical fantasy stereotypes and numerous other animes. It lacked substance, quality, narrative and most everything many of our newer members associate with our Role Playing area.

An enormous number of posts were put into the thread (well into the hundreds, if not thousands) before, thankfully, it was closed by a moderator unknown and, eventually, deleted entirely. Most of the people involved in it [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3515]found the closure to be a bad decision[/url]. Reflecting on it now one would venture that it was actually one of the better decisions made for the Roleplaying forum and was part of a [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=6287]larger movement[/url] to improve quality within the Role Playing areas. These decisions lead to the increasing quality, depth and nature of RPGs on OB beyond just silly spamfests that reigned for some time.

Looking upon the current threads in the Adventure Arena now it's hard to imagine what the V3 era was like if you were not there but, certainly, the PRP was the prime example of the type of role playing that was going on. It's closure and deletion marked the beginning of heavy emphasis on quality that continues even now.

Trivia- Many notable old members were involved in the PRP: Desbreko, Dragon Warrior, Chaos and DeathKnight, to name just a few.[/color]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Updated with entries on Brasil and The OtakuBoards League of Not-So-Extrodinary Gentlemen And Stuff. I also went through and added categories to any members in Notable Members that didn't already have them; likewise for the Notable Threads. I left the PRP for now in case anyone wants to follow DK's advice and add more info.

This thing is getting so enormous it's hard to navigate, especially when you're using the Standard Editor and half the little window's full of vBcode. Charles, do you know the [thread=*****][/thread] tag? It makes linking to threads much quicker and uses fewer characters than using the URL tag every time, so you can fit more in each post.

What I was getting at is, would it be sensible to have a separate post for each large category (i.e. every section with a Roman numeral)? That way we wouldn't have to edit the whole 'pedia to add a new article, just the relevant category post.[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Raiyuu][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Updated with entries on Brasil and The OtakuBoards League of Not-So-Extrodinary Gentlemen And Stuff. I also went through and added categories to any members in Notable Members that didn't already have them; likewise for the Notable Threads. I left the PRP for now in case anyone wants to follow DK's advice and add more info.

This thing is getting so enormous it's hard to navigate, especially when you're using the Standard Editor and half the little window's full of vBcode. Charles, do you know the [thread=*****][/thread] tag? It makes linking to threads much quicker and uses fewer characters than using the URL tag every time, so you can fit more in each post.

What I was getting at is, would it be sensible to have a separate post for each large category (i.e. every section with a Roman numeral)? That way we wouldn't have to edit the whole 'pedia to add a new article, just the relevant category post.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]I just finished making a WordPress run site for Charles to help manage it all. Jeh-willing, it'll be up within a few days.[/font][/color][/size]

[QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson]Someone with a better memory of the [b]Padded Room Party[/b] can add in details that I miss or get wrong since that was.. pretty far back.

Seed entry

[b]The Rise and Fall of the Padded Room Party[/b]
Categories: Notable old threads, Notable V3 Role Playing Threads, V3 Role Playing Trends

The Padded Room Party was one of the largest and arguably spammiest 'role playing' threads to ever exist. The PRP was typical of most V3 role playing threads- little to no premise, little to no character development and, basically, just chaotic action-oriented posts with a weak (or nonexistent) overlaying narrative. The posts contained numerous references to what was popular at the time- Dragon Ball Z, typical fantasy stereotypes and numerous other animes. It lacked substance, quality, narrative and most everything many of our newer members associate with our Role Playing area.

An enormous number of posts were put into the thread (well into the hundreds, if not thousands) before, thankfully, it was closed by a moderator unknown and, eventually, deleted entirely. Most of the people involved in it [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3515]found the closure to be a bad decision[/url]. Reflecting on it now one would venture that it was actually one of the better decisions made for the Roleplaying forum and was part of a [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=6287]larger movement[/url] to improve quality within the Role Playing areas. These decisions lead to the increasing quality, depth and nature of RPGs on OB beyond just silly spamfests that reigned for some time.

Looking upon the current threads in the Adventure Arena now it's hard to imagine what the V3 era was like if you were not there but, certainly, the PRP was the prime example of the type of role playing that was going on. It's closure and deletion marked the beginning of heavy emphasis on quality that continues even now.

Trivia- Many notable old members were involved in the PRP: Desbreko, Dragon Warrior, Chaos and DeathKnight, to name just a few.[/color][/QUOTE]

I was waiting for someone to post about this :) I would have, but you appear to remember more than I do, Ken, and that's what matters ;) But I thought it was called [b]The Padded Party Room[/b], not [b]The Padded Room Party.[/b] Not like it matters really =/

*Is surprised this entry hasn't come sooner.*

[color=Blue][b]James[/b][/color]
Category: Notable members worth mentioning

For the category revolving around notable members worth noting, James deserves one hell of a mention.
[b]
Beginnings and Earlier Activity:[/b]

James was initially invited to OtakuBoards circa 2000 by the founder of theotaku.com, Adam, to helm the Forums project back in it's infancy of theotaku.com/forums. Under James' stewardship, OB grew from a humble little side forum into a full fleged community deserving of it's very own .com address. It's membership population and content grew to an admirable size, and was only superceeded by MyOtaku with it's launch in 2003.

James has taken the site from strength to strength, re-developing the site through seven different versions and creating a unique, memorable interface for each of them. Perhaps the most memborable of these versions in the current version 7. Version 7 was a radical departure from other OB layouts, with the interface being drastically changed. James, dissatisfied with VBulletins restrictions, collaborated with jblessing, the technical staff member, to come up with a layout that was truly unique to OtakuBoards. As a result, V7 is the longest serving version in the history of the forum.

In 2003, James decided to step down as site administrator to take on a more limited role, wanting to create more space to devote to his studies and education. The position of Site Director was created, with the administrator position going to Charles. James took up the position of Site Director, allowing him to remain a key player in the development of the forum.
[b]
Later and Current Activity:[/b]

James has gone on to helm other projects on the OB, the most recognisable of these is the popular MyOtaku.com, which added a blogging service to the ever-expanding theOtaku.com and it's affiliated sites. He also designed layouts for several TheOtaku.com iterations as well as drawing up the mascot for theotaku.com's Guru, the online quiz section of the Otaku network.

James is currently woring on a new version of MyOtaku, as well as a new layout for OtakuBoards although there's no expectation that there will be a major departure from V7, with James himself describing it as more of an evolution than a revolution. Some teaser art has been released by James that shows the intended angle of the new MyOtaku interface, which utilises several different color schemes for the backroom and promises no graphics/logos bar the ones you decide to put up yourself.

[b]Appearance:[/b]

While no-one has actually seen the James, early accounts have him described as a wrinkly old man shouting at a football game. This tends to describe the joke picture James put up on the picture forum when it was still a function of Otakuboards. Many people believed the old man was actually him, and some, still to this day, believe that the "nah, it was a joke" punchline was actually a backdown.

[b]Personality:
[/b]
James is an awesome dude who doesn't think of himself a superior to anyone else on OtakuBoards based on his status, which is pretty cool. James has, in his time as administrator/site director demonstrated that he is an equal opportunity site director, who has on a number of occasions promoted newer, promising members to moderator portfolios. This is of some dismay to some of the older, senior members. (read: MAMA)

James' position has made him a target for disaffected member rants on occasion, but he has never let them get him down. His tireless devotion ot the forum community and theotaku.com as a whole, is truly commendable.

[color=Blue][b] Dragon Warrior[/b][/color]
Categry: Notable members worth mentioning

[b]Background:

[/b] Dragon Warrior is a member perhaps best known for his comical genius, and is quite a common contrbutor to Anthology, where he writes satirical stories that often involve OtakuBoards' member personalities in movie or TV parodies.

[b]Humor used in Dragon Warrior skits[/b]:

Dragon Warrior uses a random style of humor, often imitated, but never beaten. For example, in a western-set parody of his, a coupe of characters speed away in a Ferrari, then realise that Ferraris didn't exist in this time, which causes the Ferrari to spontaneously combust.
[b]
Lore of DW:[/b]

To be included in a Dragon Warrior skit, even in a one line cameo role, is considered an honour indeed, and is clear proof that you have "made it" on OtakuBoards.

[b]Other nefarious activities:[/b]

Sometimes, Dragon Warrior takes his ideas to the Art Studio, where he throws them together in a crude animation sequence. All of Dragon Warrior's animations havebeen a huge success.

Recently, Dragon Warrior has penned the hugely successful Slackers in Slacks webcomic, which was one of the most sucessful web comics ever posted in the Art Studio. Dragon Warriors success in these areas have spawned numerous imitators, none of which have got the random style of humor Dragon Warrior uses down right, and have subsequently paled in comparison.
[b]
The Dancing Black Mage:

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/customavatars/avatar657_3.gif[/img]
[/b]
Dragon Warrior still uses the same dancing Black Mage avatar he used in his early days, and it is perhaps the longest running avatar in OtakuBoard's history. Occasionally, Dragon Warrior has tried something different, avatar wise, only to revert to his trusty dancing mage. The Black mage may sport alterations depending on the time of year. For instance, Christmas usually sees Mage sporting a santa hat and red garments as opposed to the regular yellow hat and blue garments. Dragon Warrior also briefly used a line of dancing mage's in his signature, though this sig was short-lived. Dancing mage is, as a result, immediately identified with Dragon Warrior.

[color=#4B0082]I was also going to write an entry for the Padded Room Party but didn't have time until today. :animecry:

Some more details about the Padded Room Party:
[list][*]The thread's exact title was Padded Room Party! with an exclamation point.
[*]The thread had just topped 2,000 posts when it was closed.
[*]Warlock and Final Flash are two more notable members who took part in the PRP.
[*]After the PRP's closure a number of spin-off RPGs were created, all of which were closed as well.[/list][/color]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim']I just finished making a WordPress run site for Charles to help manage it all. Jeh-willing, it'll be up within a few days.[/quote][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Sterling. This thing has grown way out of control. It needs a place of its own![/font]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']Also, I feel I should request a section for notable spammers, such as Big Poppa Hump, SSJ4 Gokou/Altron Gundam/Flame of Recca, will2x, and whoever I'm forgetting.[/color][/quote][color=#503f86]I don't know any of the early stuff about Altron; only after he became Yu-Gi-Oh Moderator (presuming it's the same person and I haven't gone completely wrong). It needs clarification, adding to and cleaning anyway.

[b]Altron Gundam[/b]

Altron Gundam was a prominent staff member in the anime forums who originally joined as Flame of Recca during v2. As FOR he made attacks on the boards, and attempted to flame the early boards in what was known as the "Flame of Recca War." As a result his account was deleted, but he eventually returned to the boards as SSJ4 Gokou.

His name then changed to Recca Hanabishi, Rurouni Kenshin, Altron-Gundam and then his final moniker stood as Altron Gundam from here on in. Very soon after the Boards' rejuvination in v3 he was made a Moderator of the General Anime forum, despite allegations that he had been involved with various [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=667"]spamming incidents[/url]

Altron found himself unhappy with moderating the spam-filled General Anime forum, and would eventually be transferred to Dragonball, Gundam and eventually Yu-Gi-Oh. At the same time he also wrote theOtaku.com's expansive [url="http://archives.theotaku.com/yugioh/"]Yu-Gi-Oh section[/url], which included an incredibly detailed episode guide, card database, reviews, rules, restrictions and a thorough deck-building guide. He was widely regarded as an authority on the subject, albeit a rather forceful, elitist one.

He was usually associated with Kenshin, from the Rurouni Kenshin anime series, which frequently appeared in his avatar.

[b]Later Years[/b]

However, once theOtaku v4 rolled around and OtakuBoards' traffic increased, places like the Yu-Gi-Oh forum started to generate more posts, and it appeared that this in particular became the problem area of the site's main anime sections. When Solo Tremaine was recruited to Staff and overtook his position at the head of the Yu-Gi-Oh forum to moderate it, he took it rather personally, perhaps because he viewed himself as the chief authority of the subject on the Boards. His reactions to how little he thought of [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=428666&postcount=454"]other people's criticisms of his own deck[/url] were well-documented, as well as his tendency to resort to personal insults to criticise people's Decks that weren't up to his standard.

Most of his criticisms stemmed from the fact that most players on the site were using cards released by UpperDeck in the English translation of the game; with his knowledge of future Japanese card releases, he always knew which cards were going to be useful ahead of the game and could adjust his allegedly 'invincible' Decks accordingly.

While still able to provide intelligent and constructive criticisms of other people's Yu-Gi-Oh playing ability, during this time he seemed to develop particular rivalries against Domon and DeathBug, with posts often descending into flame spats in various Yu-Gi-Oh threads. Altron was also prone to be terribly inactive at times, and criticiscm of him and his position quickly caused a rivalry with Shy, newly appointed as Super Moderator of the anime forums. It was the final escalation in his comments to out-and-out flaming that removed him from his Staff position and resulted in him being banned... again.

He later returned as the user Tyrant Dragon, where his [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=522617&postcount=774"]penchant for personal insults continued[/url]. This was quickly banned, as were his other subsequent usernames, including ArgolisDragon, G-Unit, Sanosuke9480, Asheron, Red Inferno, Alucardfire and Athos, who was allegedly a 'friend' of Altron who registered to the OtakuBoards to accuse Domon of [url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=37903"]plagarising some fictitious cards[/url] used in an OtakuBoards RPG.

Once the Yu-Gi-Oh forum had been moved to the Anime Archives, making it a read-only series of threads, and given the diminshing interest in Yu-Gi-Oh on the forums as a whole, he has since disappeared.[/color]

[size=1]Slightly edited by Shy. 11/28[/size]

[quote name='Sandy']At this current state, Otakupedia is pretty much run by the old foggies rambling about stuff that happened years ago.[/quote]

[color=deeppink]Bah! In my day, we didn't sass our elder members. We respected them! You kids today, you've all been spoiled by your custom avatars, different colored fonts, and moderators who actually visit the boards!

In my day, we had 40 pre-set avatars to choose from, the moderators hadn't visited in months, and we had to code 7 miles uphill both ways just to bold our words! And we liked it!

Also, Altron was actually the famous Flame of Recca from the Recca war,the first flame war I had ever witnessed. His Flame of Recca account was deleted, and back then that counter-acted any IP bans, so he came back as SSJ4 Gokou, and no one seemed to care. Funnily enough, he later ended up defending hte boards from another spammer who was doing the same thing later.

Er, that wasn't meant to add to the article. I can write up some more stuff for Altron, and edit that last paragraph to be Otakupedia friendly, but it'll have to be later. I've got will2x to write for now, and I'm pressed for time.

[b]will2x[/b]
Among the first to have registered at Otakuboards, will2x was a controversial figure during his entire tenure. Known for his crude humor and spouting praise for "The Cycle," will2x was a regular poster during V1 and V2.

As the months passed (and shortly after his one-year anniversary), will2x somehow became a mod of Games and Stories, the role-playing forum at the time. Despite this, the G&S did not immidiately collapes into chaos, or rather more chaotic chaos, since that forum was not known for its standards.

During the Gendo/Shinji incident, will2x was the only moderator to support their actions, and thus was one of the few mods to lose his or her postion after the switch to V3. After the incident, he continued to post semi-regularly until mid-2003.

Hmm. I seem to be writing only about the less reputable members. Perhaps I should stop that.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']Hmm. I seem to be writing only about the less reputable members. Perhaps I should stop that.[/color][/quote]

I like your entries, actually. I had wanted to see one for will2x, but I didn't know enough about him myself to do one. I've also been craving a nice ZF Foredaddy entry, if you know enough about the ZF's. I personally cannot even remember what ZF stood for.

edit: oh and Raiyuu--if you could pm me help with the shortcut you mentioned, that'd be great. I have no idea how to do what you mentioned with links.

[quote name='Charles']I like your entries, actually. I had wanted to see one for will2x, but I didn't know enough about him myself to do one. I've also been craving a nice ZF Foredaddy entry, if you know enough about the ZF's. I personally cannot even remember what ZF stood for.[/quote]

[color=deeppink]I recall Foredaddy. We used to get into off-topic breakdance fights. I'd inevitably pull out my "Crap Walk" and he'd get served, though. But I don't know much about his history either. ZF was probably short for one of the umpteen-bazillion clans that were around back then, but I can't be sure.[/color]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][color=#503f86']This was quickly banned, as were his other subsequent usernames, including ArgolisDragon, G-Unit, Sanosuke9480, Asheron, Red Inferno, Alucardfire and Athos[/color][/quote]

All I can say is praise the Internet Gods for inventing IP bans! XP

I think I will do articles about the [B]three OB Survivors[/B] I've held, because they were big hits at least at the time they were held, and I personally feel that they deserve a mention in the Otakupedia.

[quote name='DeathKnight][color=crimson']Trivia- Many notable old members were involved in the PRP: Desbreko, Dragon Warrior, Chaos and DeathKnight, to name just a few.[/color][/quote]
[size=1]I was also a part of the PRP, so ha.

Also, I edited some more Altron Gundam information into your post, Solo, just so Charles doesn't have to later.

Edit: Charles would you mind if I helped you edit posts into the main Otakupedia article?

-Shy[/size]

[color=darkblue][size=1]As per request some time ago...

[b]Manga Workshop[/b]

Manga Workshop originally appeared on OtakuBoards upon the launch of v7 as a means of giving aspiring manga artists a place of their own separate from the Art & Design forum, and seperate talk of manga from OB Anthology. As the Pokémon forum was dissolved into the Anime Archives during the upgrade, Kei (under the handle of Lady Katana at the time) was placed there as a Moderator and remains as the only Moderator in the forum at the time of writing.

Although originally intended for people to post original manga pages and receive feedback from other members, it presently serves as a place to merely receive feedback on manga concepts, which has brought up some debate on whether the forum should be dissolved back into OB Anthology and Art & Design.

[b]Trivia:[/b] One notable thread project that appeared in the Manga Workshop was Mangaka Corner, a thread intended to showcase the biographies of famous manga artists. However, the thread currently only features two artists and has remained idle for the past two years.

Mangaka Corner was featured as an answer to a riddle in the 2006 event "The OtakuBoards Scavenger Hunt."

----------------------------------

[b]Plushies[/b]
[b]Catergory:[/b] Prominent Member Trademarks

Plushies were first introduced in Otaku Big Brother II. In the beginning, some of the houseguest's stuffed animals were brought to life by the power of the house (affectionately known as "Rosey") and made to torment the houseguests themselves. Eventually, miniature versions of the houseguests appeared and caused havoc around the house, the most prominent (and famous) among them being Mini-Ken (the miniature version of DeathKnight) and Mini-Ginny (the miniature version of GinnyLyn). The only known person able to control the Plushies entirely is Queen Asuka, whom some of her "subjects" affectionately call her "Miss Queen." Neil (aka Chaos) proved he was able to subdue them through violence for a rather short time at one point in the game.

In 2003, Solo Tremaine featured a sub-chapter starring the Plushies in his Enter the Net fanfiction, which later evolved into a webcomic written and drawn by Kei. The webcomic presently has its own [url=http://plushies.elitistsinc.com]website[/url], although it is updated fairly infrequently.

[b]Mini-Ken[/b]

[b]Category:[/b] Prominent Member Trademarks

Mini-Ken, the Plushie version of DeathKnight, first debuted in Otaku Big Brother II. Mini-Ken was known for being particularly silly and often littered his speech with his catchphrase, "BWEE~!," later being referred to as "an early Gir (from Invader ZIM!)" by some.

Despite his seemingly insane personality, Mini-Ken proved himself to be quite intelligent, loyal and a capable fighter, later becoming Queen Asuka's self-appointed knight during their time in the OBB II house.

Mini-Ken has a fierce rivalry with Mini-Flash, the Plushie version of Final Flash, that began as soon as the two were created (it would seem). The two had their first altercation near the end of OBB II and was later parodied in the OtakuBoards: Enter the Net chapter, "The OtakuBoards Nativity."[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Shinje]

[color=Blue][b] Dragon Warrior[/b][/color]
Categry: Notable members worth mentioning

[b]Background:

[/b] Dragon Warrior is a member perhaps best known for his comical genius, and is quite a common contrbutor to Anthology, where he writes satirical stories that often involve OtakuBoards' member personalities in movie or TV parodies.

[b]Humor used in Dragon Warrior skits[/b]:

Dragon Warrior uses a random style of humor, often imitated, but never beaten. For example, in a western-set parody of his, a coupe of characters speed away in a Ferrari, then realise that Ferraris didn't exist in this time, which causes the Ferrari to spontaneously combust.
[b]
Lore of DW:[/b]

To be included in a Dragon Warrior skit, even in a one line cameo role, is considered an honour indeed, and is clear proof that you have "made it" on OtakuBoards.

[b]Other nefarious activities:[/b]

Sometimes, Dragon Warrior takes his ideas to the Art Studio, where he throws them together in a crude animation sequence. All of Dragon Warrior's animations havebeen a huge success.

Recently, Dragon Warrior has penned the hugely successful Slackers in Slacks webcomic, which was one of the most sucessful web comics ever posted in the Art Studio. Dragon Warriors success in these areas have spawned numerous imitators, none of which have got the random style of humor Dragon Warrior uses down right, and have subsequently paled in comparison.
[b]
The Dancing Black Mage:

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/customavatars/avatar657_3.gif[/img]
[/b]
Dragon Warrior still uses the same dancing Black Mage avatar he used in his early days, and it is perhaps the longest running avatar in OtakuBoard's history. Occasionally, Dragon Warrior has tried something different, avatar wise, only to revert to his trusty dancing mage. The Black mage may sport alterations depending on the time of year. For instance, Christmas usually sees Mage sporting a santa hat and red garments as opposed to the regular yellow hat and blue garments. Dragon Warrior also briefly used a line of dancing mage's in his signature, though this sig was short-lived. Dancing mage is, as a result, immediately identified with Dragon Warrior.[/QUOTE]

Hah, I have an article about me :) I feel honored. Unfortunately, there is so much to my history here it's impossible to state them all :O Like being the OB pirate and ladies man (self proclaimed *cough*).

[SIZE=4][B]OtakuBoards Survivor Trilogy[/B][/SIZE]
Category: Notable Threads

OtakuBoards Survivors were three competitive RPGs created by Sage/Sandy. Their common factor was that they were all based on the widely popular reality-tv-series "Survivor". The RPGs were all quite popular during their time, and the popularity grew with each new game.

The three games shared the same basic mechanics: the chosen players were divided into teams which competed against each other in various challenges, after which the losing team would vote out somebody amongst them through private messaging. When there were only two players left, the voting was made public with a poll.

[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=16797][B]Unofficial OtakuBoards Survivor: The Freakshow![/B][/url]
October the 26th, 2002 - January the 8th, 2003

The first installment to the trilogy of RPGs was the quirkily named Unofficial OtakuBoards Survivor: The Freakshow! It was first meant to be a parody of the real tv-show, but it quickly turned out to be something completely different. It featured two teams of original imaginary characters - the [COLOR=Lime]LimeTime Tribe[/COLOR] and the [COLOR=Indigo]Indigoth Tribe[/COLOR] - that competed against each others and the maniac and capricious host of the game. Along the game they faced e.g. a maze, mock Idol contest, elephant race and a merge to one team, the [COLOR=DarkRed]Crimsonata Tribe[/COLOR]. The first OB Survivor was largely experimental in nature, and reflected the standard of roleplaying of that time.

The players of the game were:
[INDENT]Arikel
calumon_luver (later KittyLynn) *2ND PLACE*
Circéus
Darkmoon
DarkOrderKnight (later Corey)
Digital_Monster
Faris (later TrickyNicky)
GotenksSSJ343
G/S/B Master
iggy
Rain *WINNER*
starlight[/INDENT]

[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=23032][B]Final Fantastic Survivor[/B][/url]
April the 9th, 2003 - August the 31th, 2003

The second OtakuBoards Survivor was the Final Fantastic Survivor, which was altogether much more organized and [I]saner[/I] than the Freakshow, despite having only few months between them. The setting of this game was of course the worlds in the Final Fantasy -series, and naturally the competitors had to play as Final Fantasy characters. The host played the part of the series staple, Cid. The two starting teams were [COLOR=Red]Tantalus[/COLOR] and [COLOR=Blue]Avalanche[/COLOR], which later merged into [COLOR=DarkRed]Redwings[/COLOR]. This game also featured captains to the teams, who were voted in a similar manner as the evicted players. The captains made all the crucial decisions for their team, for example who would be evicted in a tie-breaker situation.

During this game the teams completed challenges in the various worlds of the Final Fantasy games by travelling in airships between them, and although the challenges weren't always that well thought-out, the players always did their best. The contribution was at times phenomenal, especially in the case of GinnyLyn, who created a whole website as well as a webcomic dedicated to the RPG.

Here's a list of the players of this game:
[INDENT]Ajeh
Braidless Baka
calumon_luver (later KittyLynn)
Desbreko *2ND PLACE*
Domon (replaced JCBaggee and Draagul who didn't post)
GinnyLyn *WINNER*
Mei
Sakuramon (later Sakura)
Tasis (later Zeh)
Zidane (later Zidargh)[/INDENT]

[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=50425][b]OtakuBoards Survivor: Game On![/b][/url]
November the 6th, 2005 - April the 28th, 2006

The third game in the series was the videogame-themed Game On!, which ended last spring. It was also the most thought-out of the three games, and the popularity at the beginning at least was massive. The recruitment thread gained about 30 sign-ups, and many good candidates had to be left out.

As the theme was videogames, the contestants took the roles of various videogame characters, with the host playing as Mog the Moogle, the cute pink critter from Final Fantasy. For the first time, the players were initially divided into three teams, the [COLOR=Red]Bravers of the Red Sword[/COLOR] (with action-type characters), the [COLOR=Blue]Adventurers of the Blue Feather[/COLOR] (with adventure-type characters) and the [COLOR=Green]Legends of the Green Gem[/COLOR] (with RPG-type characters). As the game progressed, the three teams were mixed up to two, divided by the gender of the characters: males were the [COLOR=Gray]Heroes of the Iron Fist[/COLOR] and females were the [COLOR=Gold]Heroines of the Golden Lotus[/COLOR]. For the final phase, the remaining players formed the [COLOR=Purple]Survivors of the Ultimate Game[/COLOR].

The challenges took place in different videogames, ranging from Lemmings to Resident Evil, as well as completely original environments. A strange blue place named the CPU worked as the hub of the game, where the characters met before each challenge and each eviction.

The reception of this game outstood the earlier parts, as it was the first OB Survivor to attract people who typically weren't interested in RPGs. It was also awarded in the Nifty Fifty of 2006.

The players of this game were as follows:
[INDENT]^.^ (later JJ)
Baron Samedi
Desbreko
Deucalion
Doukeshi *2ND PLACE*
Imi (later Ezekiel)
JimiWiggy11
Kitty
KKC
Lrb (later White)
Outlaw
Raiyuu *WINNER*
Sakura
Shinji (later Shinje)
Sinistra
Solo Tremaine
Unborn Lord Xion (later Onix)
Wraith (later Blayze)[/INDENT]

[B]Trivia:[/B]

* There have been several attempts at creating OtakuBoards Survivors by other members besides Sandy, of which the most successful was [B]OtakuBoards Survivor 2: Temple of Chaos[/B] by Bent Metal, but for some reason none of them lasted long.
* The comic made by GinnyLyn about Final Fantastic Survivor was sadly never finished, but all the pages released were saved by Sandy. If anybody's interested to see them, contact him.
* The little birds are singing about OtakuBoards Survivor 4, so keep an eye on that one...

[SIZE=1]Done. Anything I should add? Note that there's a link in the title of each game directing to the main game thread. Btw, it sure feels weird to write about yourself in third person.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Charles']I personally cannot even remember what ZF stood for.[/quote][size=1]Z-Fighter lol. This was during the DBZ phase in the later part of v2's life (I remember that time's events well.. everything afterwards blurs together lol). It was one of the first clans too.

Back then everyone could change their username themselves (which made things confusing, whoo boy), so all the clan members added ZF as a prefix to their names. (eg; "AJ2K1 aka MegaSaiyanBrolly" became "ZF AJ2K1 aka MegaSaiyanBrolly". Really.)

No-one could revert back to their original screennames though for some reason lol ('N-man =p). So as the ZF thing died down, people ended up switching to screennames similar to their originals, but not the same. Just because they couldnt lol.
Another clan back around the same time was the Master Debators (I can't remember how it was punctuated lol), started by Charles himself. I think he used to be Great White Frying Pan Man back then. Or something to do with a fish.

Good times lol.[/size]

[QUOTE=Shinje][color=crimson][size=1]What's your favourite sock?
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3534"]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3534[/url]

What's your favourite sock is a 2001 thread created in the ashes of V2 and the formative days of V3 versions of the boards history. The discussion revolved around socks, and members preferences for sock type. Some members perferred fluffy socks, while others preferred thinner types. Master O Beans only liked the ones with the red stripes at the top because they are "good for burning." Today, the socks thread would be considered spam.

The thread lives on in infamy, being resurrected in later years to demonstrate how far OtakuBoards' has evolved in terms of post quality and as a defense against letting favourites threads back inside the rules. The popluarity of the socks thread has waned in recent years, however, owing to the fact that OB now lets some favourites threads with decent discussion into the lounge. This has rednered the socks thread as an exemplary obsolete for the most part.[/color][/size][/QUOTE][color=#b0000b][size=1]For the record...

The "What's your favourite type of sock?" thread was created as a joke. It spawned from comments made by James and Safer Sephiroth in the thread [url= http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3504]Im Cute, Im Hot[/url]. Lamenting the current state of General Discussion and the overwhelming number of "what's your favorite" threads, the two admins noted that [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=66862&postcount=52]"on the bright side, we have yet to have a favourite type of sock thread[/url]." Final_Flash, then a staff member, seized the opportunity to tease James and Safer and created the (in)famous thread.

For comparison purposes, there was also a [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=52583]2006 thread about favorite types of socks.[/url][/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]We definitely need an entry on The DailyOtaku! So here?s my attempt! ^_^

[URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=35704][COLOR=Red]OtakuBoards: The DailyOtaku [PG] [/COLOR][/URL] was one of the more successful OtauBoards fan fictions written by the infamous Desbreko. What made it so unique was that it written from the standpoint of actually being a real newspaper reporting on unexpected events happening at OtakuBoards. As it so aptly put it: It?s what you [I]don?t[/I] need to know.

Not only was it wonderfully funny, but it was highly received among the community and to be included in one of the articles was regarded as a treat among the members. The success of this work even went on to eventually inspire one of the members to created a fanclub for Desbreko: [quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR=DarkOrange]I think I'm going to start a [spoiler] We Love Desbreko Fan Club! :2women: ^_~ [/spoiler'] [/COLOR][/quote]Both [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=35704][COLOR=red]The DailyOtaku[/COLOR][/URL] and the [URL=http://desbrekofanclub.bravehost.com/][COLOR=red]Desbreko FanClub[/COLOR][/URL] remain unfinished to this day. [/COLOR]