OtakuBoards

Lucky Star

Dagger

[quote name='Aceburner']As far as I've seen...

[YOUTUBE="Dub Ad"]1smSoy-hWvc[/YOUTUBE][/QUOTE]

Hmmm...that was very interesting! Actually, I still like the Japanese voice cast better. I'm sorry to anyone who disagrees but I mostly like the Japanese voices...but it annoys me a great deal when fandub subtitles are so blurry that I can't read them.:animesigh

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]Aceburner, if you like Yuri, just wait until you meet Hiyori.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Not usually my favorite part of an anime, but I read the Wikipedia article and it sounds like I'll probably like Hiyori, anyway. Those misunderstanding type things are always fun.

I'm on episode 15 now, so I'm finally at Yutaka. Also, Konata's dad is officially super creepy. In a good way, though.

[quote name='Aceburner;813417]Anyway, The real reason I'm here is to announce that less than a third of the way through episode 6, Cousin Yui became my uncontested favorite character.[/QUOTE][quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"']Aceburner, if you like Yuri, just wait until you meet Hiyori.[/FONT][/quote][color=#4B0082]I'm sensing a misreading. ... Does Sabrina have yuri on the brain? ;)

Either way, Hiyori is awesome and definitely the funniest of the first-year girls. And there should be a reference coming up involving her that you should appreciate, Aceburner.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Either way, Hiyori is awesome and definitely the funniest of the first-year girls. And there should be a reference coming up involving her that you should appreciate, Aceburner.[/color][/QUOTE]

Found it!

I think I had seen that clip before, but I forgot all about it. I get the feeling I know what Konata was playing when she said she used to want to be a lawyer, too.

Other references I have enjoyed so far: Just about every time they do Hare Hare Yukai (especially the cosplay cafè bit,) Nico Robin cosplayer at comiket, that censored Gundam scene, the part when Hiyori tripped and felt a desperate need to protect her left hand at all costs (possible One Piece reference, but I'm not sure. It was funny, though) and the FMA cosplayers in broad daylight, just off the top of my head. I also get a good chuckle every time Konata goes to that anime store with the obsessed shonen brigade employees.

And Akira's "concert" marked a whole new level of epic for Lucky Channel. I almost feel sorry for her at times.

• 2 months later...
[color=#4B0082][center][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8999/oavcoverpz9.jpg[/img]
Lucky Star OAV art[/center]
I just discovered [url=http://www.lucky-ch.com/info/info_ova080728.html][u]this page[/u][/url] on the official Lucky Star site and started geeking out big time. It seems the OAV is going to be full of more win than I could have ever imagined.

The release date is September 26th. It's so close yet seems so very far away.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082][center][img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8999/oavcoverpz9.jpg[/img]
Lucky Star OAV art[/center][/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Well, Des. I can already tell you'll enjoy this way more than you ought to just from that art.

Of course, so will I. I'm kind of curious about whether or not Kagami will talk in a fragmented vocaloid voice. That would quite frankly be amazing.

Still waiting on confirmation of Hiyori and Yui.[/FONT]

That looks awesome Des. Heh. I just hope there is no actual singing from that paticular fake character. I'll have to mute it if there is. XP [quote name='Aceburner'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Still waiting on confirmation of Hiyori and Yui.[/FONT][/QUOTE]Yeah, I hope they are in there too. Those two are just freakin' hilarious. I'll be disappointed if they're not in it.

• 2 months later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Why is there no bumping? Not only is the OVA out, but it has been subbed by the Delightful Dagger and Deranged (eh, couldn't think of any other word) Desbreko!

Anyway, I think my favorite sequences were the Cinderella parody, the MMO bits and [spoiler]OMG LIVE ACTION LUCKY CHANNEL I WAS ABOUT TO EXPLODE WITH THE AWESOME.[/spoiler]

Finally:

[CENTER][URL="http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Aceburner85/LSYukai.jpg?t=1223702361"][COLOR="Blue"][U]Click Click[/U][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]

It seems so strange that less than a year ago I never would have caught this reference. I love how some random player shows up for the sole purpose of completing the pose.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Why is there no bumping? Not only is the OVA out, but it has been subbed by the Delightful Dagger and Deranged (eh, couldn't think of any other word) Desbreko![/FONT][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]'Cause after spending 12+ hours working on subs for an episode you don't really feel like talking about it anymore for a bit. :animestun

So, yeah, subs are out for this now, from Dagger and I [DnD], and from [EnA]. I recommend our release 'cause I think it's better in pretty much every way, and not just because I'm biased.

To follow up on my previous post, there was unfortunately no singing from Kagamiku. In fact, the Miku cosplay only lasted for a short time, which was the only thing I was actually disappointed about.

Everything else about the OVA is classic Lucky Star goodness. There were plenty of times where I'd be timing dialogue for the subs and have to pause as I cracked up at the hilarity of things.[/color]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]So, yeah, subs are out for this now, from Dagger and I [DnD], and from [EnA]. I recommend our release 'cause I think it's better in pretty much every way, and not just because I'm biased.[/color][/QUOTE]I need to pick that up since I have seen it, but the one I watched couldn't be bothered to translate the Lucky Channel. Something I found highly irritating since that's one of my favorite parts of the entire show. Other than that, what I did see, was definitely fun. I think one of my favorite parts was when that wacky shop owner found Konata online and she was [spoiler]set to away[/spoiler] that was just too hilarious. [/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]EnA's release has Lucky Channel subbed. That horrible streaming video release was the one that skipped over Lucky Channel entirely. That one isn't even worth watching.

But, yeah. Ours has a comparable or smoother translation for almost everything, better typesetting, better video quality, and soft subs instead of hard.[/color]

• 3 months later...
Lucky star is just pure awsome. its so damn funny and is one of those shows which makes me laugh the whole way through the series. the characters are all great and designed well with thier own unique personalities. I especially liked konata for obvious reasons:animesmil shes so damn funny and her being an otaku makes it even better since viewers can relate to her otaku behaviour.

overall i would say lucky star is an awsome and funny series but some jokes are for hardcore otaku's and i would recommend it for someone looking for a laugh

• 1 year later...
[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082][b]Fail.[/b]

I will be waiting for the thin pack. And since it's coming out in six volumes I have a feeling I will be waiting another year or so. I guess they get to hope my interest holds that long.

At least liner notes for the references is cool.[/color][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]So over two years later, I made good on this statement. Bandai is [i]finally[/i] releasing a collection with all six volumes on April 6, and for cheap, too. $50 MSRP, $37.49 from Right Stuff, and only $30 until March 15 if you use the coupon code from their newsletter. ("lucky" without the quotes.) I just ordered it and the OVA together for only $42 shipped.

Time to crank the Lucky Star hype back up to 11.[/color]