OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards Newspaper

Aaryanna_Mom

[COLOR=Indigo][QUOTE=SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod]No worries there, I understood what you were getting at. And I would prefer if we have reviews written by members. At least for the review part. But for the beyond OB section, theO is a good source since Panda does write great reviews. ^_~ Oh and yes, it is the same person.

I say we whack indifference for not being more clear. Or Rachmaninoff for getting the wrong idea. :p[/COLOR][/QUOTE]I vote for whacking Rachmaninoff. :p Besides it was not my intent that we rely on outside sources, but more that we use them for the section of news that does not come from OB. It only seemed logical to use our sister site since it is a good place for things like that.

It's also a good back up should we have a month where a member doesn't submit a review. So that section is never empty so to speak. Which is why I mentioned that it could go in either section. It would end up being a case by case situation. ;) But by no means do I think it should take place of people from this site writing up reviews or articles or anything else for that matter.

In the end I'd prefer that most of it come from here. Well other than the section of news that's from other sources than OB of course. [/COLOR]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=goldenrod]Well putting all that aside, I'm currently working on writing up a bit about interesting threads in the area I moderate, so I'll have that to you in a day or two Mom. ^_^ And once I finish my Survivor challenge I'll probably take a whack at the graphics as well. [/COLOR]

[size=1][color=#8B008B]I'm confused about what you want for each category. All it says underneath is [Information about interesting threads, etc.]. I'm not trying to be nitpicky but I'm just a person who likes clarity and I am utterly confused about what you want in the categories. So, clarify please?

Also, I'm all for not having a set staff but to avoid confusion and conflict, maybe there should be a sort of agenda or sort of a first-come-first-serve thing, where a member can pick the topic they want to talk about, write out an article, send it to you, and if they can't fulfill the deadline the next person in line or something like that.

I just feel that there might need to be some order; maybe there is an order and I just missed it. But that's just my idea. ^_^;;;[/size][/color]

[quote name='Nonentity]Out of curiosity, at this point, are we allowed to start submitting articles to [B]Aaryanna_Mom[/B']?[/quote]Yes, by all means do start. Choose an area of the boards or an anime or book or movie to write about. Also if you have an area you are interested in working in post and let us know which area you or anyone else would like to write for.[QUOTE=Revelation][size=1][color=#8B008B]I'm confused about what you want for each category. All it says underneath is [Information about interesting threads, etc.]. I'm not trying to be nitpicky but I'm just a person who likes clarity and I am utterly confused about what you want in the categories. So, clarify please?

Also, I'm all for not having a set staff but to avoid confusion and conflict, maybe there should be a sort of agenda or sort of a first-come-first-serve thing, where a member can pick the topic they want to talk about, write out an article, send it to you, and if they can't fulfill the deadline the next person in line or something like that.

I just feel that there might need to be some order; maybe there is an order and I just missed it. But that's just my idea. ^_^;;;[/size][/color][/QUOTE]You're not being nitpicky at all. What I mean is threads that in the month we are reporting that had interesting or lively discussions going on. A good example would be
[URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57169] [U]Don't Put Naps to Sleep: Save Fun on OB![/U][/URL] in the Suggestion & Feedback section of the boards, it generated a lot of interest. So the idea is to report threads that stood out for the month we are reporting.

As for not having a set staff, what I'm thinking of is not having just one person per section, but instead allowing a team of two or three. So say if you were interested in working with the sections in the Creative Works area. You would write up an article about interesting threads in that area. And since each area has roughly three sub-sections each person could pick an area or rotate which area they report each month. So I was thinking more along the line of several people sharing an area.

As for the reviews on books, movies, anime, games, etc. I was thinking that could be open to all staff. You could choose something and simply post to let the others know that you are working on it.

If that's not clear enough or if someone has a better idea just let me know. :catgirl:

[COLOR=goldenrod]If I understand you correctly I could choose to report the section called Community that houses the Comunity Events, Otaku Lounge and Suggestion & Feedback areas right? If so then that's what I'll apply for the Community section. ^_^ And I'm also working on some graphics as well. I'll put them up in the other thread once I get them ready. :catgirl: [/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod']If I understand you correctly I could choose to report the section called Community that houses the Comunity Events, Otaku Lounge and Suggestion & Feedback areas right? If so then that's what I'll apply for the Community section. ^_^ And I'm also working on some graphics as well. I'll put them up in the other thread once I get them ready. :catgirl: [/COLOR][/quote]

[font=tahoma]Well hurry up on the GFX, i'm tired of looking at my piece of junk >.>, lol.

I will have my trial article(s) in within the next couple of days, A_M. If you prefer one then i'll cut it down since I planned on doing an example of a general article and an example of a review.[/font]

[size=1][color=#8B008B]Alright, that sounds like a great idea. But what if two members write about the same topic? What then? We can't have two articles about the same topic, so what would happen if that happened?

And I'm all for writing for the [B]Creative Works[/B] spot. =][/size][/color]

[QUOTE=Revelation][size=1][color=#8B008B]Alright, that sounds like a great idea. But what if two members write about the same topic? What then? We can't have two articles about the same topic, so what would happen if that happened?

And I'm all for writing for the [B]Creative Works[/B] spot. =][/size][/color][/QUOTE]Once we have a team of choose writers for each section then a good way to avoid writing about the same thing would be for whoever is in the Creative Works section to let the other writers know what they are doing. So if I had an article in mind for the Creative Works, I would pm you to let you know what I had in mind.

To make it easier, once we have a staff I was going to draft up a list of who's doing what area, to make it easier to know who to contact for different projects.

[COLOR=Indigo]If you want people assigned to sections that's fine by me. Though if you're still looking for freelance, that's more what I'm interested in since my attention tends to be all over the boards instead of just one area. Though I'd be sure to let everyone know what I was working on to avoid the double article issue Revelation mentioned. [/COLOR]

[Font=Book Antiqua]Are you guys still looking for staff members, because I'd be more than happy to take a crack at Creative Works on the permanent staff. Or I can work freelance if that's easier. Whatever I'm needed for, call me you guy. :)[/Font]

[size=1][color=navy]I'm still really interested in this but I haven't had the time to think of a topic to do a sample article on. I was wondering if there's a deadline for the articles to be sent in. I'll be free after Wednesday so I'll try to start work on one then.[/color][/size]

All right this is what I have so far for the list of area's people are interested in writing for:

[B]Entertainment:[/B]
Aaryanna

[B]Community:[/B]
SunfallE

[B]Creative Works:[/B]
Revelation
JJ

[B]Freelance:[/B]
indifference

[B]Undecided:[/B]
2007DigitalBoy
BKstyles
Sakura

[B]Editor:[/B]
Allamorph

[B]Members:[/B]
Will be done by everyone
[B]
Beyond OtakuBoards:[/B]
Again, can be done by everyone or someone can choose this section

[B]Reviews:[/B]
Will be done by everyone

If I've missed anyone let me know. I put a couple of you as undecided since you've expressed an interest but didn't pick a category. As for your question about a deadline Sakura, since we are still organizing things there isn't one yet. Also two members have expressed an interest in the graphics so I'd like to see what they put up and then work on picking a banner for the paper.

Also, there's no need to cut down on what you are writing BKstyles unless you feel it's too long.

And Allamorph, if you want to assist as an editor, that would be most helpful. I haven't had a formal English class since before all of you were born. And even when I went back to school to work on a degree in music, I still never took any English classes. So I'm a bit rusty in that respect.

[size=1][color=#8B008B]If it's alright with you and Allamorph, I can also help with editing. That's if Allamorph wouldn't mind me helping. =]

And this sounds like a good bunch. I'm sure we can finally manage that newspaper now, Mom.[/size][/color]

[FONT=Tahoma]Hm, I thought I mentioned my desired area...i'm too lazy at the moment to go back and check though, lol.

I figured freelance might be ideal since I would like to write about whatever interests me and what I think would be worthy to write about but I will most likely stay mostly within the range of creative works and video games (mostly reviews). I don't mind restricting my range for the certainty of articles making it in for certain categories, though I will probably spend more time on CW articles. I notice you have reviews up there as everybody as well as an entertainment section, so i'm not sure if you'd classify games with one of those, so if it's included somewhere then you can toss me over there then :p.

[/FONT]

[quote name='Revelation][size=1][color=#8B008B]If it's alright with you and Allamorph, I can also help with editing. That's if Allamorph wouldn't mind me helping. =][/size'][/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]What, are you kidding? Yes, yes; heck yes. I'm not sure I could handle all the stuff that'd get thrown at me and still manage to cope with college. Please, join me. :animeswea

I suppose we'd just work out the split as we go. [/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]If something like this has already been suggested and I missed it, sorry. I kind of skimmed some parts of the thread. :catgirl:

I think it might be a good idea to have a separate freelancer thread where anyone on OB could submit articles to the paper, and then the editors could decide on which ones to use. It would be a good place for people to just submit an article here and there, and also a good way for people to show they have the skill and motivation to become a regular writer if they're interested.[/color]

[size=1][color=navy]I wouldn't mind working as a freelancer and/or doing some editting work because I've had experience with that type of stuff. Or if you need someone to write for a certain area then I'd be fine with doing that too, just let me know where ya want me.[/color][/size]

*switches off Non mode posting*[COLOR=DarkOrange] Ah, much better. Lets see, so when we write our articles, it would obviously be a pain to post them somewhere before they get to the editors. The editors wiouldn't know if the other editor was already working on it, or might get confused on what's already been edited and so on. I'd suggest all articles be sent directly to the editors before they hit the thread/Aaryana_Mom's mailbox or what have you.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]Since I missed out on some of the middle of this thread, has there been any discussion yet as to the setup/layout of the newspaper? How is it going to be put together?

I'd prefer to list some ideas I had, but I don't think mine are actually functional, so....[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Allamorph][FONT=Arial]What, are you kidding? Yes, yes; heck yes. I'm not sure I could handle all the stuff that'd get thrown at me and still manage to cope with college. Please, join me. :animeswea

I suppose we'd just work out the split as we go. [/FONT][/QUOTE] [size=1][color=#8B008B]Then it's settled...well at least if it's alright with Aaryanna_Mom, which I'm sure it is.

Anywho, as for the set up of the newspaper, Mom already set it up. It's quite nice actually but I'm not sure if it's the final set up.[/size][/color]