OtakuBoards

Top five favorite old movies

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Now when I say old movies I don't necessarily mean the black and white films, but I do mean anything from the early 90's and back. Maybe even ones that were filmed before you were born. Or even before the invention of the VCR- which for many of us is about the same thing. :catgirl:

As for myself:

[b]1.) Some Like it Hot staring Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon[/b]
I haven't seen this one in a while so if anyone sees the DVD somewhere or knows where I can get it let me know. The jist of this movie is that in order to hide from these two gangsters (I think that's what it was) Jack Lemmon and his friend disquise themselves as women and join an all female band. I think what you had there is one of the first movies with cross dressers

[b]2.) Clothesline Alley with Mary Pickford[/b]
I can't remember the entire title of the movie, but I know it starred Mary Pickford and it was a silent movie. It was the first silent film I ever watched. I just wish they showed more of the lines because you know that the actors were saying more than: Oh look Mary's getting gay with some fella.

[b]3.) Young Frankenstein- I don't know who was in it[/b]
This was just a hilarious take on Mary Shelley's (?) Frankenstein. I hope TCM or AMC airs it again

[b]4.) E.T. Staring Drew Barrymore (which I can't spell)[/b]
Who doesn't love ET? Or remember that bike scene or tried to heal someone with their finger. Phone home!

[b]5.) Pretty Woman Staring Julia Roberts, Richard Gere and Jason Alexander:[/b]
This was my first R Movie. Of course watching it now and comparing it to what passes for PG-13 it's hard to believe that this was an R movie.

So, what are some of your favorites?[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]
[b]3.) Young Frankenstein- I don't know who was in it[/b]
This was just a hilarious take on Mary Shelley's (?) Frankenstein. I hope TCM or AMC airs it again
[/color][/font][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkOrange]
The amazingly funny and tragically late Gene Wilder (Willy Wonka, the Waco Kid, et cetera) starred in that little bit of cinema history. Fantastic movie, definitely a favourite, but not really top five for me.

I happen to prefer older movies to new ones. Here's my list:

1 - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Clint Eastwood, Lee van Cleef, and the awesome Eli Wallach)

The third, and best, of Sergio Leone's Dollar's Trilogy is the epitome of awesome. Clint Eastwood personified cool. I'm not even a fan of westerns, but this movie simply transcends; in my opinion the best thing ever put on film, Godfather be damned!

2 - It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Sid Caesar, Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle)

Hilarious absurdest comedy about a bunch of simple people who really, really, really, really want that freakin' money! The best 'rat race' movie ever made, even if some of the jokes are a bit dated today, I can always watch it.

3 - Midnight Cowboy (Dustin Hoffman and than-newcomer John Voight)

Ok, so maybe a movie about a male prostitute and his perpetually-ill friend is a bit odd, but the move is powerful. It's about friendship, but mostly it's about a guy who comes to New York trying to become a 'kept man' for some of the ladies around but ends up an everyday hustler. Sounds a bit off base, but it's a very, very, very good movie. Most importantly, it gave us the line "I'm walkin' here!"

4 - The Life of Brian (The Monty Python Crew)

The 'forgotten' of the three Python films, the Life of Brian is one of my favourites. Imagine being born in a stable in Bethlehem on the same night as Jesus Christ and living your whole life in his shadow. Hilarious biblical farce, even if it did earn the Pythons some flack from the fundis.

5 - Soylent Green (Charlton Heston, and who cares who else)

"Soylent Green is people!" That line will go down as one of the best in cinema history. Amazing sci-fi movie about a creative solution to overpopulation and starvation; round of dissenters and make em' into food! Great, if dated, action-adventure.

HM - Anything by Mel Brooks, including Dracula: Dead and Loving It!

There are a lot of other more recent, but still oldish, movies out there that would make my top-five, like Platoon or Screamers or Jaws, but this thread seems to be more about older-than-that movies. So, there it is.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]I don't think I can place them in any order, but I can probably think of five movies.

[B]Addams Family Values[/B]
I've always liked Addams Family, whether it's the original version on TV land or what used to come on ABC Family. I think there was a cartoon version, too. Anyway, I watched this movie on TV one day and instantly fell in love. What's better than dark humor coming from a creepy little girl with a gigantic fivehead? Not much.

[B]Clue[/B]
The board game was always fun to play on a rainy day, and just as fun to play when it's sunny. Then my sisters showed me the movie, and I became obsessed with it. It seriously one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I think this murder mystery just might be slightly better than Addams Family.

[B]Labyrinth[/B]
Okay. The past two movies have been my favorites for a while now. But I first saw Labyrinth when I was six years old, and I have loved it religiously ever since. I think it deserves a little more love than it's film favorite companions. Jim Henson is an absolute genius, as well as his son Brian.

[B]The Wizard of Oz[/B]
I've loved this movie just as long as I've loved Labyrinth, despite WoOz being half a century older. Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, you're crazy. It's a freakin' classic. I've read the book, of course, and seen the musical it was based on. I used to be crazy obsessed with it, but I'll still run down the hallway and trip and almost break my arm to see it. (True story).

[B]The Shining[/B]
I remember first hearing about this movie from my friend when we were in elementary school. She said it was very scary and whatnot, which turned me off from it for a really long time. I went through all my life being unable to watch horror movies because I was scared they'd give me nightmares. Then one day sometime during the past two years, I found it on TV and decided to watch it. This was the first movie that made me realize I could handle horror, and even after seeing plenty of other movies in that genre, The Shining remains my favorite. [/FONT]

Bloodsport (Jean-Claude Van Damme) - 1988
Hehe I love this movie :) Kumite! Kumite! :) uh yeah.. The first time I saw this I was probably seven and I thought it was the best movie EVER!! twelve years later... maybe not ever, but I still love it..

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Jane Powell and Howard Keel) - 1954
This is probably my favorite musical.. the musical numbers are all a bit different from the norm (when was the last time you saw someone singing and dancing whilst chopping wood?) and the story is so funny.. kidnapping wives?? men really are idiots... ;)

The Lion King - 1994 [SIZE=1]HA! it's before 1995, so it could technically be "early" 90's...[/SIZE]
Ok, I know that this isn't really old, but this was the first movie I saw in a theater that didn't scare the **** out of me (the adventures of huck finn.. my wasn't I a brave 6-year-old?) and it's pretty much my favorite movie of all time... I don't like the new version they did with that extra song added in though.. it totally screws up the pacing of that scene....

Singin' In the Rain (Gene Kelley, Donald O'Connor, Debbie Reynolds) - 1952
A total classic... I could watch this movie every week.. though I must say, I really don't like rain...

Risky Business (Tom Cruise, Rebecca DeMornay) - 1983
This movie just makes me happy... I think it's so funny.. teaches good lessons too, like don't EVER park your dad's Porsche on a hill that leads into a lake.. EVER.

Well that's it... I'm sure there are plenty of other movies I've seen an liked as well as these, but my memory sucks, so...

[COLOR=DarkOrange][QUOTE=Clurr][FONT=Arial][B]Clue[/B]
The board game was always fun to play on a rainy day, and just as fun to play when it's sunny. Then my sisters showed me the movie, and I became obsessed with it. It seriously one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. I think this murder mystery just might be slightly better than Addams Family. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Oi, that movie was awesome. The best scene was definitely the part where the door opens and the girls like [spoiler]"I'm a singing telegram!" and [B]BAM![/B] she gets shot XD [/spoiler]That was just too good.

Well, seing as how I'm a digitalboy of the 21st century variety, I very rarely partake in films that came out before the nineties (or rather, before special effects started getting good). I know you said early nineties was okay, but I don't count it. To me, 'oldies' is 'anything that came out beofre i was born'.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ_Superstar_%28film%29][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Jesus Christ Superstar[/COLOR][/B][/url] is a, well, god among classics. I'm no believer in Christianity, but that doesn't stop this rock-opera retelling from being the shiznit. The best part is the sheer absurdity of it all - it takes place way in the past but there's like people with machine guns and tanks and crap which really loans an amazing bit of imagery to it all. The actors are brilliant, and Judas is the coolest dude ever.

[B]Godzilla [/B] in it's entirety. I used to watch these VHS constantly - I have like 15-20 of them. Nothing beats godzilla when it comes to kaiju - believe it! On that coin, in the realm of kung-fu flicks, the [B]Bruce Lee [/B] films take the trophy. Also, I like Star Wars. Im not a huge fan, but I do like it.

The origional [B]The Omen [/B] was pretty cool. The new one was pretty faithful except that it changed some of the best deaths. [spoiler]The camera man, in the origional, gets his head cut off when a head backs up and a sheet of glass slides off and right through his neck, sending the head flying. [/spoiler]Awesome.

[B]The Wall[/B]. You simply cannot beat the Wall. This story is so trippy, but so well-told, and of course the music is the best part. The animated scenes are awesome, and it's got some of those moments that live in infamy.

And, of course, what kind of geek would i be if I didn't bring up [B]Monty Python and the Holy Grail[/B]? i haven't seen their other movies, but this one is simply awesome. Yes, i'm one of those guys who sits at the lunch tabe and hashes out quotes amongst my friends.

Comedies that deserve mention include [B]The Jerk[/B], [B]This is Spinal Tap [/B] (Stonehenge = awesome), and [B]The Breakfast Club[/B].

As well, two of the greatest movies of all time were released before I was born (one the year before). This first is animated, but not anime. It is, of course, [B]Transformers the Movie[/B]. Folks, this is gold. I could watch this movie indefinitely. The fights are great, the script is wonderful, the designs are cool, and most importantly... "YOU GOT THE TOUCH! YOU GOT THE POWEEEEEEEERRRRRR!!!!!!!!"

Also, [B]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles[/B]. Oh come on, it's like the best live action movie ever XD The other 2 don't even compare to the utter awesomeness that is the first film.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Wet Cement][COLOR=DarkOrange]
The amazingly funny and tragically late Gene Wilder (Willy Wonka, the Waco Kid, et cetera) starred in that little bit of cinema history. Fantastic movie, definitely a favourite, but not really top five for me.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Gene Wilder isn't dead yet.

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]

Oi, that movie was awesome. The best scene was definitely the part where the door opens and the girls like [spoiler]"I'm a singing telegram!" and [B]BAM![/B] she gets shot XD [/spoiler]That was just too good.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]
I have a lot of favorite parts from Clue, but the one relevant to that scene was when [spoiler]the cast goes from room to room and sees everybody dead, and someone's like "Three murders. Six altogether. This is getting serious."[/spoiler]

And the characters are just so...aaagh, I can't even put into words how AMAZING the characters are. <3 Everyone, go watch Clue. RIGHT NOW.[/FONT]

I just have to worn you all my favorite movies are comedys.lol
Ok here i goes my favs. are:

1.Animal House
John Belushi was hilarious.I love him.Toga!Toga!This movie is a classic.

2.Young Frankenstein
Another hilarious movie and I like the fact that they could have put it in color but didnt it just adds to the movie.(being in black and white)

3.Monty Python and The Holy Grail
Unbelievably stupid but so funny it hurts.

4.Ferris Bulers Day Off
OK this one is not as funny as the others but I love the fact that Ferris gets away with everything!

5.Real Genius
A bunch of nerds doing hilarious stuff to there college professors and more.

• 2 weeks later...
1) Forest Gump
A great movie about the story of a man with an IQ of 75, also a great movie to quote "Mama said they was my magic shoes, mama said they'd take me anywhere" is always a great thing to randomly say if you want to break the silence:animesmil.
2) "The Revenge of the Nerds" saga
It's great to see the nerd underdogs triumph over the jocks using superior intellect and determination. Also it has many memorable characters, I mean, who can forget Booger.
3) Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
A great story about a poor, unfortunate boy winning the much sought after golden ticket and getting a tour of Wily Wonka's chocolate factory. Also, Oompa Loompas are FTW.
4) The Indian in the Cupboard
A story of a boy who finds, well, a tiny indian in a cupboard. I used to watch this nearly every day when I was little.
5) ET
Who dosent love ET? Also a movie I watched constantly when was a little kid.

Here's my top five in no particular order.

1. Pulp Fiction- This movie is just simply the best movie ever. The changing storylines, and how they all intertwine at one point or the other is just plain cool. Plus it's like the last good movie besides the first Star Wars prequel that Samuel L Jackson was in. It gave me some of the best lines to use on people in random situations...like "Can you hand me my wallet?" "Which one?" "The one that says 'Bad Mother$#$@ on it." and "Oh I just shot [insert random xbox live gamertag here] in the face" (great for fps!)

2. Citizen Kane- I can't remember all the actors in the movie to help save my life, but the imagery and the need to watch this movie twice to catch the little subletities in the movie that make it awesome Great storyline, cool camera angles, good directing, great acting. It's got it all

3. Fight Club- Despite the violent storyline and crazy characters, this movie attempts to take a stab on serious societal issues and creates some of the best dialogue I have ever had the pleasure to hear. This movie is more cerebral than you would believe it to be. Plus it's got cool easter eggs. Think you can find Brad Pitt in the single-frame instances?

4. Resevoir Dogs- Quentin Tarrantino's debut as a director an a smashing movie it was. Great character acting (Tarrantino is actually in the MOVIE!!!), cool dialogue that is practically as good as Pulp Fiction, and great story overall. Love the torture scene with Michael Maddsen, he makes such a good villain.

5. Kill Bill volume 1 and 2- Technically these are two movies, but who cares? Why would you nominate one without the other, espcially when the story would be unfinished? Uma Thurman should have been in more action movies, because she makes a cool protagonist. I love the 1st movie's ties into the old samurai films and the kickass anime scene in there. The second one has less action, but the dialogue in the both movies just makes this movie incredible to watch. The black and white scenes are a cool touch and Tarrantino really knows how to pick a good soundtrack that goes across many genres. Love the Nancy Sinatra song in the beginning of volume 1. Plus, who thought David Carradine whould make such a cool villain.

• 2 weeks later...
[font=comic sans ms]I don't know if I'll be able to give you five since my memory is shot at the moment. We'll see.

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']1. Pulp Fiction- This movie is just simply the best movie ever. The changing storylines, and how they all intertwine at one point or the other is just plain cool. Plus it's like the last good movie besides the first Star Wars prequel that Samuel L Jackson was in. It gave me some of the best lines to use on people in random situations...like "Can you hand me my wallet?" "Which one?" "The one that says 'Bad Mother$#$@ on it." and "Oh I just shot [insert random xbox live gamertag here] in the face" (great for fps!)[/QUOTE]

Agreed, however, I didn't think that it was all that great back when I first saw this it. (very young, between the ages 7-10), and didn't care for it, but when I turned 16I was reintroduced to the movie from a friend showing me the best scene ever that is at the beginning as well as hearing the best quote of all time: ENGLISH (fill in the blank) DO YOU SPEAK IT!

[b]The Crow[/b] - Another one of those movies that I saw at a young age, and didn't care for it, and yet again, I'm eating my words about not liking it. Hard to explain why I think this is a great movie. Compared to some of Brandon Lee's other movies, the action wasn't as good as it should've been. It's just one of those movies I really like. (That, and it's the son of Bruce Lee) It's too bad I didn't care for the other movies after this one. The series was decent.

And then there's [b]Back to the Future[/b] and the [b]Rocky[/b] movies. Can't really think of much to say about them at the moment. :sleep:[/font]

[b]One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest[/b] is simply superb. The main characters are believable, and you end up sympathising with nearly all of their situations. Jack Nicholson is brilliant. There are parts when you are not sure whether to laugh or not, and I like that - having designated 'funny points' in films is not always good. A particular funny bit, for me at least, is the group therapy they have. There are more than one, but still they always make me giggle. Some people may think it's sad. Well the whole film is pretty sad. If you haven't seen it, do.

I don't really know many others, old films I mean. I would just be repeating what other people said, [b]The Life of Brian[/b], [b]Resevoir Dogs[/b], etc. I like Julia Roberts for films like [B]Runaway Bride[/B] and [B]Pretty Woman[/B]. Nice, feel-good movies! :)

I would say [b]All Quiet On The Western Front[/b], c. 1930. I'd recommend the book rather than the film, although it is nice to get a visual perspective on the whole German situation of WWI. A downside is that there is more than just a touch of Hollywood in it, but the story is still there I suppose.

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']
5. Kill Bill volume 1 and 2-[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I think a movie should have been realeased at [i]least[/i] more than five years ago for it to count as an "old movie."

This list will be in the order I think up themovies, not the order I enjoy them.

1. The Neverending Story - because it is one of the best moives evar. I love it to death.

2. The Princess Bride - It's completely awesome.

3. Labyrinth - David Bowie + Jim Henson = a dream come true.

4. Batman: The Movie - Because some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

5. Toys - No one I know has ever see this movie, except for this one person who I forced to watch it with me. He loved it. This is probably my favorite Robin William's movie.

Oh, and DB: There were four Python movies. Or did you forget? ; )[/color]

[quote name='Break'] [b]All Quiet On The Western Front[/b], c. 1930. I'd recommend the book rather than the film, although it is nice to get a visual perspective on the whole German situation of WWI. A downside is that there is more than just a touch of Hollywood in it, but the story is still there I suppose.[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Funny you should mention that movie. I saw a parody of it called [b]All Quiet on the Canine Front[/b] As the title suggests they used dogs instead of people. But it was very amusing. And nicely done.

Okay so they gave the dogs voice overs and dressed them up... and maybe just maybe I'm easily amused, but I liked that movie.[/color][/font]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Funny you should mention that movie. I saw a parody of it called [b]All Quiet on the Canine Front[/b] As the title suggests they used dogs instead of people. But it was very amusing. And nicely done.

Okay so they gave the dogs voice overs and dressed them up... and maybe just maybe I'm easily amused, but I liked that movie.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

Hahaha - that wouldn't be my thing at all. Weird take on the film though. I suppose it's like film [b]Cats and Dogs[/b], I think that's what it's called anyway. Russian cats as the bad guys... does my head in. lol.

[size=1][B]Terminator 2: Judgement Day[/B] is easily the greatest film of all time, let alone a great old-ish ('91) film. I was practially raised on that film and the first one and my life wouldn't be complete without them. They have so much, a little of everything thrown in. James Cameron, I salute you!

As for others, I'm not sure. I've never been very good at picking favourites. I definately agree with Tombstone about the [B]BttF[/B] movies. They are just awesome, no question.[/size]