OtakuBoards

Favorite genre. And does your family like it?

Aberinkula

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] So you don't have specific stations for country? My city finally has two different stations but one doesn't come in too well. That is actually one thing I miss about the south- each city had four or five different country stations. So do some of the more rural areas up here.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Not really, there are three local stations and a few nationally broadcasted ones and each of them don't really have a set genre which they draw music from. The closest one to me is mostly listened to by rural people, hence it's getting more and more country music playing. [/SIZE]

[COLOR="Navy"]On the subject of metal, revolver is a pretty good magazine. Especially their hottest babes in metal issue they had recently. You never really know how sexy Amy Lee is until you stare at her picture for a while. i find metal to be the most confusing of all rock genres.

I also find soft rock to be a cursed hing to mankind. I also hate Mute math,or any rock band along their genre. but I must admit Gackt - which is J-rock- is pretty good music. Yes, J-rcok, the words I can't understand, but the instamentals are amazing in Japan.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]On the subject of metal, revolver is a pretty good magazine. Especially their hottest babes in metal issue they had recently. You never really know how sexy Amy Lee is until you stare at her picture for a while. i find metal to be the most confusing of all rock genres.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Ew. that article is so pointless, it's always the same damn metal babes they talk about all the damn time anyway. Can you spell filler? Anyway, my mom reads Revolver and... it's kind of disgusting what they'll pass off as metal, though they at least kind of admit that they pander to anyone's rock fetish.

I don't like magazines at all because they'll go through the trouble of glorifying a band or album in their articles even knowing how much it sucks. I only read for the reviews, AKA the 'great equalizer'. They occasionally review bands I like so it's cool from time to time. Either way, I end up reading most of te mag just cuz it's in the bathroom. Overall, not nearly the worst magazine around, but still a magazine suffering the fallacies of magazines...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][SIZE="1"]I have genres I generally avoid (country, r&b, rap, contemporary jazz), but I tend not to favor just one genre. My music collection includes mostly rock-ish groups in the US, and various artists from other countries. I keep finding music artists I love from the UK and Japan.

What I really love are the groups that mix several genres into their music, until no one knows what to classify them as.

If I absolutely had to pick a favorite genre, it'd be a tie between alternative & techno/electronic music.

My father pretends to like my music, but only because he assumes I'll turn it off. When I play my Japanese songs, he gets angry.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]Hey, bathrooms are convenient for reading! Plus with metal babes inside your bathroom... I'll just stop right there, no one wants to get their mags all sticky and junk. :P My favorite magazine is Mad Magazine, so I don't collect rock mags anyways, I borrow from friends. Friends are liable sources for entertanment. But never ask them to define a music genre. >_>

Where I live there is only 4 people who like rock music in our grade. I'm one of the four. I'm also the only one who likes anime, no one else at school pays attention, so its cool. Except when your friend calls you a dork for watching Naruto, but hey, I love that show![/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]Hey, bathrooms are convenient for reading! Plus with metal babes inside your bathroom... I'll just stop right there, no one wants to get their mags all sticky and junk. :P My favorite magazine is Mad Magazine, so I don't collect rock mags anyways, I borrow from friends. Friends are liable sources for entertanment. But never ask them to define a music genre. >_>

Where I live there is only 4 people who like rock music in our grade. I'm one of the four. I'm also the only one who likes anime, no one else at school pays attention, so its cool. Except when your friend calls you a dork for watching Naruto, but hey, I love that show![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I see... where I live, there's this large group of goth kids who listen to... well... goth crap. There are a few metalheads, but they're all a bunch of freaking pricks who think that [B]Cradle of Filth [/B]and [B]Marylin Manson [/B]are like the ****ing gods or something. Blegh. Adding onto that, a good 25-50 percent of them claim to like anime, when really they just like [B]Naruto [/B]>_> bastards.

@ Moderation - friends are kind of like family, right?

oh yeah - that brings me to my friends. My brother's friend is like... completely unaware of music XD the only band he knows he likes is [B]Avenged Sevenfold[/B], though since he started hanging out with us he's become a huge fan of [B]Dragonforce [/B]and [B]Ayreon [/B]and some other crap...

Then there's my friend who loves [B]Rammstein[/B], [B]Tenacious D [/B]and [B]Static X [/B]and any kind of comedy song, especially ones in languages that are or sound like German.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Not really, there are three local stations and a few nationally broadcasted ones and each of them don't really have a set genre which they draw music from. The closest one to me is mostly listened to by rural people, hence it's getting more and more country music playing. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]We have a few stations like that. Since a lot of Country music (like some of the stuff I listen to) has become cross-over (IE: Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill - had to put those in together) some of the pop and mix stations have been playing country music.

One thing that sucks about my city- other than the fact that the college station (90.5) doesn't come in too well and neither does the new country station. Our Alternative station plays two different talk shows Monday - Friday. So you get the 90's from 1100-1300 then some recent mix of stuff from 1300-1400 and finally more music from 1700 on.[/color][/font]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I see... where I live, there's this large group of goth kids who listen to... well... goth crap. There are a few metalheads, but they're all a bunch of freaking pricks who think that [B]Cradle of Filth [/B]and [B]Marylin Manson [/B]are like the ****ing gods or something. Blegh. Adding onto that, a good 25-50 percent of them claim to like anime, when really they just like [B]Naruto [/B]>_> bastards.

@ Moderation - friends are kind of like family, right?

oh yeah - that brings me to my friends. My brother's friend is like... completely unaware of music XD the only band he knows he likes is [B]Avenged Sevenfold[/B], though since he started hanging out with us he's become a huge fan of [B]Dragonforce [/B]and [B]Ayreon [/B]and some other crap...

Then there's my friend who loves [B]Rammstein[/B], [B]Tenacious D [/B]and [B]Static X [/B]and any kind of comedy song, especially ones in languages that are or sound like German.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Well as for claiming to like anime but only watch Naruto... I watch Bleach, Blood +, Astro Boy (black and white), Tenjho Tenge, and One piece now.

My brother got me into music. I first started listening to Korn with him and ICP. But thanks to I grew out of rap music. THANK GOD I DID! XD[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]On the subject of metal, revolver is a pretty good magazine. Especially their hottest babes in metal issue they had recently. You never really know how sexy Amy Lee is until you stare at her picture for a while. i find metal to be the most confusing of all rock genres.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to disagree [I]vehemently[/I]. Revolver is a terrible metal resource. An the "Hottest Chicks in Metal" issue was AWFUL. Most of the girls they featured aren't even in metal bands! They included Made Out of Babies and Evanescence, for Christ's sake! What the...? I thought this was hottest chicks in [I]metal[/I]! And they always make this big deal out of it, saying that "there are hardly any women in metal, so we're getting the few of them out there".

NEWS FLASH: THERE ARE TONS OF WOMEN IN METAL.

For the sake of the Gods, Revolver could have done 5 minutes of research and come up with countless metal bands with female members. I mean [I]countless[/I]. Everything from Battlelore to Equilibrium to Cthonic to Skumring... the list seriously goes on for miles. It's not uncommon. Come on people. Ugh. I hate Revolver. And they call Bullet for my Valentine a metal band, and even featured Trivium - one of most poserific bands of all time - as "saviors of metal". SHAME.

And Premonition, I can understand what you mean when you say metal is confusing. It certainly is like that at first, but once you figure out the basics, it becomes pretty clear what's what. Again, PM me if you want to learn more. I don't know much in this world, but in the ways of metal, I'm pretty well schooled.

i personally have 2 favorite genres, the first and easiest would be classic rock, i honestly don't know how i got into it, but i think it had somthing to do with thunder struk by ac/dc and how whenever i heard it i would always think of my favorite sport, the almighty wrestling, why thunderstruck gives me this memory, i don't know.(plus whenever my mom "catches" me with my radio on, it makes her feel old.)
no.2, punk, not the styreotipical heavey-metalish punk, but the good stuff, NOFX, rancid, social d, ect. i got into this around the time my parents got divorced, it's not like it sounds though, i was like 7, my dad started listening to and i got hooked. thats my music. later

[COLOR="Navy"]I've heard Trivium and they're about as metal as the skin on my ***! I hate their music. revolver is good in terms of adds, but calling bands metal is what they suck at. I like evenescence, but they never struck me as metal in the first place. And Revolver knows there's more metal women out there, the probably just say that to reel you in. The girls are pretty but a lot of them are hardly Metal. But what about that Vivian Slaughter gal, is she metal? Hell, is Disturbed a metal badn at all? I like disturbed. >_>

Bullet for my Valentine is considred Metalcore by a few people I know. And didn't someone say that metalcore isn't really metal? I bought the CD, and all of he songs are horrible except #4 and #6. Some people just call them Metal so they have can decieve themselves into thinking they have metal.

Where I live you can't find the good stuff. We do have 1 F.Y.E. in thw mall. But down in Watertown NY, that mall has a huge F.Y.E. I better save up some bucks for the next time I go there.

[B]@ DB:[/B] I hate Marylin Manso's music sooo much![/COLOR]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']I'm going to have to disagree [I]vehemently[/I]. Revolver is a terrible metal resource. An the "Hottest Chicks in Metal" issue was AWFUL. Most of the girls they featured aren't even in metal bands! They included Made Out of Babies and Evanescence, for Christ's sake! What the...? I thought this was hottest chicks in [I]metal[/I]! And they always make this big deal out of it, saying that "there are hardly any women in metal, so we're getting the few of them out there".

NEWS FLASH: THERE ARE TONS OF WOMEN IN METAL.

For the sake of the Gods, Revolver could have done 5 minutes of research and come up with countless metal bands with female members. I mean [I]countless[/I]. Everything from Battlelore to Equilibrium to Cthonic to Skumring... the list seriously goes on for miles. It's not uncommon. Come on people. Ugh. I hate Revolver. And they call Bullet for my Valentine a metal band, and even featured Trivium - one of most poserific bands of all time - as "saviors of metal". SHAME.[/QUOTE]

[font=arial][size=1]I wonder if Laura from Kylesa was in that feature. She'd probably easily make top of the list. haha

And why would they use Made Out of Babies for Julie Christmas rather than Battle of Mice? Battle of Mice is actually somewhat metal (if you consider Isis and Pelican metal).

Also, I hate large publications like Revolver because they add points to their ratings based on what labels buy ad space from them. There are plenty of reviews I've seen from these magazines that make me think that these guys were on some good drugs when they were listening to a bad cd. But that's a different thread.[/font][/size]

Most of what I listen to can be defined as metal. Black, Death, Doom, Folk, Industrial, Thrash, Ect. I like a few bands defined as Hardcore/metalcore/deathcore like Job for A Cowboy (The early stuff), Underoath, Lamb of God, and Waking the Cadaver (apparently everyone but me and "HxC" kids think they suck). Recently I've also been listening to alot of grindcore/goregrind like Napalm Death (Early), Carcass (Early), Pig Destroyer,and Agoraphobic Nosebleed. I also like Prog rock/metal, Punk (The Misfits are gods), A little bit of indy, some emo, and other random crap. The only rap I like is this one horrorcore rapper called Necro. I like a LITTLE BIT of pop, namely t.A.T.u and Utada Hikaru.

[size=1]My favourite bands tend to grow on my parents over time. Takes a few steps, though. Usually I have to find 'grey area songs' to present to them. My dad hated 'Goo' and 'Washing Machine' (Sonic Youth albums), as well as 'Hail to the Theif' 'Amnesiac' and 'Kid A' (Radiohead albums). So, I tried 'Daydream Nation' and 'Dirty' and he didn't recognise them as the same band. The last time I sat in his car, I was surprised to find that he'd been playing it. Radiohead, he really fancies 'Pablo Honey' and 'The Bends'. 'OK Computer' is growing on him, but hey. Truce is better than nothing.

Then there are bands he loved immediately, such as Muse, Rage Against the Machine, and Sublime. Time to time he'll listen to the chill-er Red Hot Chili Peppers songs (he still doesn't like Blood Sugar Sex Magik) and Incubus songs.

I like Black Sabbath and Jimi Hendrix way more than he does. Ironic how I'd choose the 70s over the 80s any day but he's the opposite. Then again, he didn't get into rock until his teens, and his teens were in the 80s... whatever. He really likes acoustic guitar. Which is totally fine.

However, he always turns down my Slayer, Lightning Bolt, Marilyn Manson, Kittie, Lacuna Coil, Pixies!!!?, and Nirvana. It's a bit too much for him.

When it comes to female artists, though, the only ones we agree on are CocoRosie, Fiona Apple, and Whitney Houston. It's cute that he likes Shakira and Evanescence more than me. On the other hand I absolutely refuse to listen to Celine Dion. Ever.

My mum is more simple. She'll listen to alternative rock because of her boyfriend (her favourite band is the Smashing Pumpkins and old No Doubt) but anything harder than Muse tends to make her uneasy. She'll blare 'Californication', 'By the Way', 'Absolution', and anything by the Smashing Pumpkins ... but not much else. So far.

My parents are open-minded. I love em for it.

On the other hand my stepmum tells me to turn down everything. I just drown out her orchestra stuff with whatever I feel like listening. I can't stand it. Her music is like a prelude to anxiety attacks. [/size]