OtakuBoards

Favorite genre. And does your family like it?

Aberinkula

[COLOR="Navy"]Everyone has a favorite genre of music. Rock, rap, Country, or Pop. and don't forget the sub genre's behind the scenes. But for some of us -like me- our family hates or dislikes our favorite genre.

As for me my favorite is metal. I love the sound of the guitar, and the speed.It's like adrenaline pumps through me, you know? But my father, if the guitars get to noisy, or fast he'll turn the station and say something like "I hate that ****ing music." and usually i's a song that like.

But there's one member of my family who loves this genre. My cousin Jake has a collection of great metal. A few weeks ago we had a a family gathering, he was there and he showed me some of his CD's. Now his mother would probably disown him if she heard his music. What's worse is that she is pure country. Now don't get me wrong, a few country songs I like, but I ate most of it. But my aunt sings and plays county. So metal would never be her forte, but my cousin did get her to play "Smoke on the water", which is funny as all hell to me.

And he had an album from 3 Inches of blood, now after hearing them, I want to steal his CD! He likes dragonforce too, but they're good for 30 seconds or less. He has other bands as well. But the only one I can remember is Black Label Society.

Anyways what's your favorite genre of music? Can be any genre too. And tell us what your family thinks about it. Do they like it or hate it?[/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Well, I listen to rock and all of the other sub genres that come with it. When Im in the passenger seat I usualy put the radio on a rock station.

But my parents are another story, they dont like my music very much... and I dont liek thier music either.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="HotPink"][B]Umm...Well... My music is referred to "that screaming mess" in my house, so yeah. My genres of music are plain and simple, Rock. I like anything really, but I do listen to alot of core stuff, screamo, thrash, whatever. However, I like indie and prog-rock, punk and other crap. Aha.

Well, no, my parents call my music crap, when however, all the music they listen to is really bad oldies and country. Besides the John Mayer CD my mom has, aha. Anyway, their music is way too simple...Guitar riffs that suck...drummers that drum like a four year old...bass players that don't even gain recognition.. Gah. Singers that can't even sing good, but are all that fans care about Country. It's crap.

The only part of my family that likes my music is my cousin, Austin, who is a fellow band member, and my brother Ben. The rest of my family really don't try to like it.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]Everyone has a favorite genre of music. Rock, rap, Country, or Pop. and don't forget the sub genre's behind the scenes. But for some of us -like me- our family hates or dislikes our favorite genre.

As for me my favorite is metal. I love the sound of the guitar, and the speed.It's like adrenaline pumps through me, you know? But my father, if the guitars get to noisy, or fast he'll turn the station and say something like "I hate that ****ing music." and usually i's a song that like.

But there's one member of my family who loves this genre. My cousin Jake has a collection of great metal. A few weeks ago we had a a family gathering, he was there and he showed me some of his CD's. Now his mother would probably disown him if she heard his music. What's worse is that she is pure country. Now don't get me wrong, a few country songs I like, but I ate most of it. But my aunt sings and plays county. So metal would never be her forte, but my cousin did get her to play "Smoke on the water", which is funny as all hell to me.

And he had an album from 3 Inches of blood, now after hearing them, I want to steal his CD! He likes dragonforce too, but they're good for 30 seconds or less. He has other bands as well. But the only one I can remember is Black Label Society.

Anyways what's your favorite genre of music? Can be any genre too. And tell us what your family thinks about it. Do they like it or hate it?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

What kind of metal do you listen to exactly? Just curious.

I listen to metal as well, and as anyone who has been on OB for a while knows that I'm all pretentious about it too. I'm very picky about my music, and I do not tolerate false metal.

Anyway, my parents used to care, but they just tune it out at this point. They're very supportive, and they know how passionate I am about it. They're incredibly generous as far as allowing me to have band practice whenever I want, and they'd let us play all day if we wanted to. Of course, my mom actually doesn't mind when I pop a Kamelot CD in the stereo, and my father is pretty down with Hibria too. It's kind of grown on them, I guess.

Well I like rock in general. But i am more into screamo alternative music. I do like all the screams abut i also love music that has to do with romance. The music i listen to kind of contradicts. I like the soft kinda rock. Lets see an example would be Plain White T's. Their music is soft yet beautiful to my ears. But I also love music from Bless the Fall, Bullet For My Valentine, Megadeth. And well your usually scene music, the red jumpsuit apparatus, boys like girls, cute is what we aim for, yelloward. trapt, papa roach, anberlin, thursday.

Of course my parents despise the music that i listen too. Not all of it, but most. There are a few exceptions like aerosmith, and some other nice soft rock. Now their biggest issue is how i dress is related to my music, or the stuff i do to my hair.

My parents are mexican so they like rancheras music. with cowboy hats and boots. I cannot hear that at all. and my mom deadly loves country! i cant stand most of it, and there is some I can, but very few.
I also listen to techno, and dance mixes. I love to dance so its good to mix it up once in a while

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]My mom's all-time favorite band is [B]System of a Down[/B], who she is obsessed with and loves everything about, period. She's got more SOAD crap than probably anyone. She's also a pretty big fan of [B]Satyricon[/B], [B]Ministry[/B], [B]Jane's Addiction[/B], [B]Bauhaus[/B],[B] Nine Inch Nails[/B], [B]Revolting Cocks[/B], [B]Amen[/B], and [B]Mastodon[/B]. She's a big fan of 80s music period, namely industrial-rock and synth crap, and she loves black metal. My mom is very genre-centric. If it isn't fast, loud, or energetic, she won't like it. She can't stand my post-rock music, but she loves my metal.

My dad doesn't listen to too much music, but he very passionetaly feels about the bands he likes. [B]Rush [/B]is his alltime favorite, and he's a big fan of [B]Jane's Addiction[/B]. He also likes the 80s bands like Zepplin and stuff. He doesn't like his music to be too heavy, nor does he like any kind of screaming. He likes songs that are easy to follow I could say, since he, too, doesn't like my post or prog all that much. Basically, he's pretty lame.

My 14 year-old brother likes some of my bands, and he mostly likes stuff that's uplifting. He hates dark music and stuff that he can't get am image from. He's absolutely obsessed with [B]Dragonforce[/B], and he loves [B]Ayreon[/B], [B]Coheed and Cambria[/B], [B]Mastodon[/B], [B]Gorillaz[/B], [B]Green Day[/B], [B]Avenged Sevenfold[/B], [B]Franz Ferdinand[/B], [B]Linkin Park[/B], [B]Rush[/B], and [B]Tenacious D[/B]. He also likes [B]Agalloch[/B], [B]Tool[/B], [B]Pearls and Brass[/B], [B]SOAD[/B], and [B]Type O Negative[/B].

My 9-year old bro just likes [B]Gorillaz[/B], [B]SOAD[/B], and [B]Avenged Sevenfold[/B], and everything else he just sort of tolerates.

My brothers are the ones who are subject to my music the most because whenever i'm in the room, i want to listen to it. My brothers both absolutely hate [B]Isis [/B]with every ounce of their might, and neither can really stand [B]The Mars Volta [/B]either. When it comes to my post-rock, they just think it's 'boring'.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]My mom's all-time favorite band is [B]System of a Down[/B], who she is obsessed with and loves everything about, period. She's got more SOAD crap than probably anyone. She's also a pretty big fan of [SIZE="4"][B][U][COLOR="Red"]Satyricon[/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE], [B]Ministry[/B], [B]Jane's Addiction[/B], [B]Bauhaus[/B],[B] Nine Inch Nails[/B], [B]Revolting Cocks[/B], [B]Amen[/B], and [B]Mastodon[/B][/quote]

What??? I mean, that's awesome, just so out of place with the rest of the bands, haha!

I would say I like a bit of everything, but.. I think my favourite genre is [b]alternative[/b]. This covers such a wide range of music, so I'll list a few bands to give you an idea... Cute Is What We Aim For, hellogoodbye, Brand New, The Postal Service, The Smiths, Enter Shikari, Hadouken!, Rammstein.

These are my favourites at the moment, and I know all of them probably aren't rigidly alternative. My family? Well my dad absolutely loves Rammstein. My mum likes listening to Enter Shikari in the car (a few songs, not all). One of my brothers (aged 11) loves Enter Shikari as well. The other one (aged 10) likes them, but loves The Postal Service and hellogoodbye. He also likes the song "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" by The Smiths. My mum quite likes The Smiths too. All of them like Cute Is What We Aim For (except my dad), and my brothers are with my dad on the Rammstein wagon, but my mum doesn't like them so much. My dad hates Enter Shikari, lol.

It is sometimes odd to have your mum singing along to an Enter Shikari song in the car.. but I'd rather that than she hated it.

Oh and my uncle is a diehard fan of drum 'n' bass, which I also like. He goes to massive raves and stuff..

[quote name='Jakehammaren']What kind of metal do you listen to exactly? Just curious.
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Actually I never pay attention to the specific metal brand I listen to. But most of my metal is Nu Metal.yet. my favorite band, Breaking Benjamin is a post-grunge/alternative band from New Jersey. I've researched them on wikipedia. They're also an influence for my lyrics. I'm the bassist of a Nu Metal band where I live but I'm probably the most skilled at writing. I'm working on a song that has been influenced by the Mothman of west Virginia. Very eerie and fascinating legend.

The band is called Death Vapors, and I must say the name feels generic. But the lead won't change it to something more unique. Plus I'd really like to write something that has to do with my [B]Hungarian [/B]roots. I just remembered that one of my old relatives actually lived in Transylvania, another idea for a song write has just come to me! [/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I love country music and it seems as though I may be the only one on this board who listens to it at all. I mean I like other things too, Broadway, Alternative, even *gasp* pop. But Country is a big part of my life.

I like some of the older stuff like Merl Haggard and Johnny Cash. But I thing some of the new artists are good too. A new favorite of mine is Sarah Buxton. She released an album Tuesday, but it's online not in stores. So I can't get it yet.... Which sucks because I really like her debut single: That Kind of Day.

As for anyone else liking country music in my family I really don't think so. My brother listens to Rap and R&B. My parents don't care either way but they both listen to the local soft rock station.

I think the only people who really share my love of country are my friends. But not my boyfriend because he equates Keith Urban and Kelly Pickler with sheer torture. Go figure.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]Actually I never pay attention to the specific metal brand I listen to. But most of my metal is Nu Metal.yet. my favorite band, Breaking Benjamin is a post-grunge/alternative band from New Jersey. I've researched them on wikipedia. They're also an influence for my lyrics. I'm the bassist of a Nu Metal band where I live but I'm probably the most skilled at writing. I'm working on a song that has been influenced by the Mothman of west Virginia. Very eerie and fascinating legend.

The band is called Death Vapors, and I must say the name feels generic. But the lead won't change it to something more unique. Plus I'd really like to write something that has to do with my [B]Hungarian [/B]roots. I just remembered that one of my old relatives actually lived in Transylvania, another idea for a song write has just come to me! [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Nu-metal actually is not a form of metal in any way, shape, or form. The term "nu-metal" is very misleading, and was actually a term coined by the metal community as a joke ('nu' literally means 'not', hence "nu-metal" = "not metal"), and for some reason it stuck. So you probably actually listen to very little actual metal, if any at all. I'm not attacking you here or anything, just letting you know the difference. This a very common misconception, so no worries. A good way to check if a band is metal is to look them up at [url]www.metal-archives.com[/url]. If they aren't on that database, they aren't a metal band. Wikipedia is a very, very bad resource for researching metal, as any metalhead will be quick to inform you. If you're ever interested in checking out some true metal bands, hit me up with a PM and I'd be glad to introduce you to a few.

[SIZE=1] I'm prone to listen to rock and electronica, and I usually blast it from my stereo, and to my suprise my parents like it. =]

when in the car my parents actually dont mind having a listen to [B][U] Silent Alarm[/B][/U] or [B][U] A Weekend In The City[/B][/U] even though they dont understand half of the lyrics. they dont mind electro much either, when in the car I usually listen to [B]†[/B] by Justice and they really like it. esepically when I told them that the song [B][U] D.A.N.C.E.[/B][/U] is decidacted to Michael Jackson. o_0'[/SIZE]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Wikipedia is a very, very bad resource for researching metal, as any metalhead will be quick to inform you. If you're ever interested in checking out some true metal bands, hit me up with a PM and I'd be glad to introduce you to a few.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]God, I hate Wikipedia. People talk total crap on there. I don't believe anything I hear about a band -- any band -- unless it's from a direct interview or in a magazine... possibly a handful of websites too.

As for my genre, I'm pretty open-minded about all music; hip hop, rock, some indie, this, that, the other, but of course, my forte is metal. There are only two genres I don't listen to though. Emo and metalcore. I simply ignore emo, because it is usually just a fad amongst teenagers, but metalcore I can not stand. My friend loves the stuff and tries to get my into it too, but because I refuse to listen to it it makes me a "picky person". I don't see what's so great about a trade-off between clean and screamed vocals and ending almost every riff with a pinched harmonic. Obviously I'm talking about Killswitch Engaged here, who are at the forefront of metalcore, but yeah.[/color] :rolleyes:

[font=comic sans ms][color=blue]I've never really been all that open minded when it came to music. (Meh, who am I kidding. I'm not all that open minded to alot of things.) I mean I've heard a few Evanescense songs that my sister listen to. I've heard a few songs by Nickelback, (I think that's who it is.) the folks that did the that Hero song for the Spider-Man soundtrack, but that's about it in terms of rock. (if that's the genre they're classified as.)

Before I became even more closed minded to music, I was into hip hop and rap. But my interest started to die down in 2005. I still listen to them every once in a while, but it's mainly the songs that's dealing with everyday life, and some old school stuff.

My thing now is Gospel and R&B. While I'm not into R&B as much as I use to, you would find mind listening to that before majority of the other genres outside of gospel. As far as my family goes. Yea, they listen to it as well. My mom listens to mainly gospel, while my dad is pretty much an oldies fan. (Jazz, Soul, and whatnot) My brother listens to gospel and some rock. My sister is the one that listens to almost all kinds of music.[/font][/color]

[size=1]I don't have a specific favorite genre. I have such screwed up tastes in music. I go from anywhere to industrial, electro, metal... to Tegan and Sara... XD

But, my mom likes most of the bands I listen to. She doesn't know what the hell the bands are [i]called[/i], but she never objects to me choosing all the music for our road trips.
She just really hates the metal/hardcore I listen to. Anything with a lead singer who is growling the whole song, she tells me to take out. Haha.[/size]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Nu-metal actually is not a form of metal in any way, shape, or form. The term "nu-metal" is very misleading, and was actually a term coined by the metal community as a joke ('nu' literally means 'not', hence "nu-metal" = "not metal"), and for some reason it stuck. So you probably actually listen to very little actual metal, if any at all. I'm not attacking you here or anything, just letting you know the difference. This a very common misconception, so no worries. A good way to check if a band is metal is to look them up at [url]www.metal-archives.com[/url]. If they aren't on that database, they aren't a metal band. Wikipedia is a very, very bad resource for researching metal, as any metalhead will be quick to inform you. If you're ever interested in checking out some true metal bands, hit me up with a PM and I'd be glad to introduce you to a few.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Jake it never crossed my mind to think your attacking me, in fact that is probably more helpful than intended. Now I can talk to my friend and tell him how wrong he was for telling me about Nu Metal in the first place.

Here's the list of the bands I listen to.

[LIST]
[*]Breaking Benjamin
[*]Disturbed
[*]Mudvayne
[*]Bullet for my Valentine (not so much because they grew old too fast)
[*]Evanescence
[*]Linkin Park
[/LIST]

My Windows Media Player has Disturbed, Mudvayne, BFMV and Evenescene catagorized as Metal. But I know BFMV is notconsidered metal by many, yet they are. But I think they are posers, now I want to trow their CD out the window light on flames and dance around it.

Most of them are related to Metal, but not a particular genre. however I'm trying to expand my list. I need to find some really talented artists to listen to, so I just might take up your offer.

As for wikipedia not being hwlpful, it does have links to sites with good information.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I suppose rock would be my favourite genre, but given most of the music I listen to is on the radio I don't really get picky with music, except for rap which I've never really got into. Jazz, some metals, classic, even some of that easy listening stuff. Country and western is played way too much on my local radio station, seriously you'd think you were in Texas rather than Ireland.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"] Country and western is played way too much on my local radio station, seriously you'd think you were in Texas rather than Ireland.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] So you don't have specific stations for country? My city finally has two different stations but one doesn't come in too well. That is actually one thing I miss about the south- each city had four or five different country stations. So do some of the more rural areas up here.

I'm about to say 'What about Keith Urban?'... but he's from Australia.[/color][/font]

[FONT="Georgia"]I listen to really diverse music... My family really doesn't like any of it *laughs* I listen to top 40 stuff (ugh, I know. Shame on me), underground rap, alternative/modern rock like Metric, Muse, Lily Allen (sorta modern rock), Incubus. I like some jpop and jrock, artists like Yuki and Asian Kung Fu Generation, and quite a bit of instrumental stuff, be it orchestral or just two guys jamming on a bass and drum kit, like I have tons of Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time orchestral arrangements on my iPod, and Ratatat who do instrumentals and remixes. [/FONT]

[size=1]I have a really wide range as far as the music I listen to goes. I can go from Frank Sinatra, my favorite artist ever, to Bring Me The Horizon, my favorite band. So, Jazz to Deathcore, haha. Quite a range. But the majority of the music I listen to is Metal. I really like the core sub genres that go with it, hardcore and what have you. I like there to be a beat and the occasional breakdown does tickle my fancy, haha.

I really enjoy music from the following: Between The Buried And Me, Bring Me The Horizon, Glass Casket, The Human Abstract, The Devil Wears Prada, Architects, At The Throne of Judgment, As Blood Runs Black, Underneath The Gun, Elysia, Knights of The Abyss, Suicide Silence, and the older stuff that Job For A Cowboy made, just to name a few. As you can see by the list of bands, I like when bands have core influences incorporated into the music.[/size]

[quote name='Lan'][size=1]I have a really wide range as far as the music I listen to goes. I can go from Frank Sinatra, my favorite artist ever, to Bring Me The Horizon, my favorite band. So, Jazz to Deathcore, haha. Quite a range. But the majority of the music I listen to is Metal. I really like the core sub genres that go with it, hardcore and what have you. I like there to be a beat and the occasional breakdown does tickle my fancy, haha.

I really enjoy music from the following: Between The Buried And Me, Bring Me The Horizon, Glass Casket, The Human Abstract, The Devil Wears Prada, Architects, At The Throne of Judgment, As Blood Runs Black, Underneath The Gun, Elysia, Knights of The Abyss, Suicide Silence, and the older stuff that Job For A Cowboy made, just to name a few. As you can see by the list of bands, I like when bands have core influences incorporated into the music.[/size][/QUOTE]

Sorry, here I go again.

Hardcore isn't metal, it's punk. And all of the bands that you listed that I've heard of aren't really metal either, they're metalcore, which is an offshoot of hardcore (with the exception of Job For a Cowboy, but only their latest album is metal, and even then, it's just generic death metal).

[font=arial][size=1]Haha, Jake just has to start a war with everybody.

About a year ago, I would've answered this with the hardcore genre, or maybe even Metalcore. However, in the last six months or so I've gotten into more calm music and growing out of everything but my absolute favorite hardcore bands, haha. It's actually a really natural direction to follow, as many old hardcore/emo bands like Saetia and Orchid reformed in newer bands like Hot Cross (R.I.P.) and Panthers. Those bands kept the hardcore influence but turned it down a notch for good musicianship. So I've been getting more and more into Math Rock lately, and that's my favorite genre. Consisting of bands like Drive Like Jehu, Shellac, North of America, and Cinemechanica, math rock is at the most basic level, rock music that is played in a obscure time signature that may or may not switch throughout the song. So basically it sounds like regular radio rock except it's a little more artistic and radios think artistic music is too risky.

So uhh, given that this is a clear improvement from the Converge and Dillinger Escape Plan records I've been making my parents suffer though, my parents are much happier about my tastes in music and let me actually fill the family Charger RT with math rock. :D[/font][/size]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Sorry, here I go again.

Hardcore isn't metal, it's punk. And all of the bands that you listed that I've heard of aren't really metal either, they're metalcore, which is an offshoot of hardcore (with the exception of Job For a Cowboy, but only their latest album is metal, and even then, it's just generic death metal).[/QUOTE]

[size=1]I know, notice I said that I liked metal with core influences, instead of saying just straight out plain metal. Sorry if what I typed seemed to confuse you, Jake.

Hahah, dammit. I got my arse handed to me by the Metal God of OB.
I feel like a fool.

But you must admit that a lot of the bands listed have a majority of their sound rooted in metal over hardcore! Like Between The Buried And Me, perfect example, right? Or not? Haha, I should look into that metal archives more before posting from now on.[/size]

[quote name='Lan'][size=1]I know, notice I said that I liked metal with core influences, instead of saying just straight out plain metal. Sorry if what I typed seemed to confuse you, Jake.

Hahah, dammit. I got my arse handed to me by the Metal God of OB.
I feel like a fool.

But you must admit that a lot of the bands listed have a majority of their sound rooted in metal over hardcore! Like Between The Buried And Me, perfect example, right? Or not? Haha, I should look into that metal archives more before posting from now on.[/size][/QUOTE]

Haha! It's all good. Actually, I *GASP* enjoy a portion of BTBAM's stuff, believe it or not. They're very talented and creative musicians. And Metal-Archives does in fact allow metalcore bands that are more metal than core, although the issue gets debated on the forums quite often. Their view on it is that, while it isn't real metal music, it is influenced enough by it to allow some of the stalwarts of the genre to be archived. But either way, straight-up hardcore bands are regarded as an offshoot of punk and therefore not on the archives.