OtakuBoards

How to Restore Your Creative Muse [Help thread]

Aberinkula

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]Also I forgot to mention. Another thing I've done when I'm coming up dry on ideas is to keep notes on dreams I've had for a while. At the end of a week, I'll often find something useful out of the wacky dreams I've had that helps me to start feeling creative again. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Actually that is a good one. I've had some of my best story ideas in dreams. Another good one is to toss ideas back and forth between a friend who's a writer as well. I do this with Josh all the time, and from it I've gotten some really good material.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I've found that writing fluff or random experimental crap is helpful, too. Getting in the mood of writing isn't always easy, especially if you don't feel like dedicating you to a big piece. Writing small pieces to start getting you in the mood starts to get you thinking 'man... i really feel like doing something, now'

kinda what I'm trying to do right now... in [B]Esper Jam[/B]...[/COLOR]

I probably should not be saying a word seeing as no one enjoys my posts anyway and just you watch, no one will ever reply to this thread again after I post this but oh well. Excuse me for having an opinion. I write probably more than anything else so this may or may not help you at all...

I have never really experienced this writers block but I have had friends tell me about it...but usually they just have me read their stories or whatever and make suggestions or give ideas. *shrugs*

What you might be suffering from is having too many ideas at once that your mind draws a blank when you actually need it. Instead try these and see what works.

1. Do not think about whatever it is you are trying to write about. Stressing out the thought leads to you not wanting to finish a masterpiece by your own hand.

2. Try reading your writing over again and seeing if there is something missing or something that might sound much better, and yes that gives you ideas. Random thought leads to ideas.

3. Try thinking about events that have happened to you or something you have seen elsewhere and twist it to suit your need.

I would think of others but no one would probably read this anyway so *shrugs*

Good luck with your writing.

And Clurr, had I known it was your birthday I would have said it sooner but Happy Early Birthday. It is always nice to wish someone a Happy Birthday. There is no harm in it eh?

[quote name='MadHatter']I probably should not be saying a word seeing as no one enjoys my posts anyway and just you watch, no one will ever reply to this thread again after I post this but oh well. Excuse me for having an opinion. I write probably more than anything else so this may or may not help you at all...[/quote]

[FONT="Arial"]I think you're being a little too pessimistic, haha. Don't worry so much about people reading your posts--trust me, if you jump into a discussion you're bound to receive some attention.[/FONT]

[quote]What you might be suffering from is having too many ideas at once that your mind draws a blank when you actually need it. Instead try these and see what works.[/quote]

[FONT="Arial"]That might be what happens to me all the time. I have a ton of ideas for situational stories and such in my head, but whenever I want to write something I can't think of anything to say.

I don't do this much myself, but if you're only struggling with the beginning of a story, skip ahead and write part of the main conflict, or at least a part where you can put actual words on the paper. I'm pretty sure that once you've gotten a segment of the story down, the rest will be easy enough to write.

In fact, my most recent story (still not sure whether or not I'll post it here, hah) was pretty difficult to begin. I ended up having to write the middle first, then I typed that up and wrote the beginning and finally, the end. I think it was the fastest I've ever written a short story.[/FONT]

[quote]And Clurr, had I known it was your birthday I would have said it sooner but Happy Early Birthday. It is always nice to wish someone a Happy Birthday. There is no harm in it eh?[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Arial"]
Thanks again, lolz :][/FONT]

That is true, you could always try skipping ahead and then trying to determine the 'past' of the story. That helps I suppose.

This may sound strange but sometimes stories are better off not really having a 'past' it helps the reader try to imagine what it must have been like with you only giving hints and clues. Of course if people do not have much of an imagination...>.>'

I would not mind reading your story Clurr. I assure you it is probably a very well written work of art. If you ever decide to post it, I will read it...and may I have your autograph? *laughs*

• 10 months later...
Try writing down words that intrest you and putting them in a smalll bowl or something and then picking three out or something, and see if that helps. if the words don't help, try the same thing but with ideas or events. Let's say "death of a loved one" or "hurricane" and try to see if that's the direction that you would like your stoey to go in. If it's not, try again, or try writing out that direction anyway.

[FONT=Arial]Although I appreciate your desire to be of service, [COLOR=DarkRed]Elk[/COLOR], and I otherwise mostly agree with what you offered in your post—although it seems to me that starting off with the "death of a loved one" as a topic is a little much morbid—the last post in this thread was almost one year ago, so I think it's safe to assume that the original question has been answered a long time ago and no longer needs a reply.

In the future, I'd ask that you check the dates of the last posts in the thread and use that in determining whether or not to reply. In most cases, it's a good idea to keep your meandering to the first page or two of threads; there are exceptions, naturally, but I don't believe this to be one of them.

And if you have any questions, my PM box is always open. (^_^)

–A

[I][B]*Thread Closed*[/B][/I][/FONT]