OtakuBoards

Self Harm/ Cutting

Identity

Self harm is defined as any behavior that injures oneself without the intent of suicide. A person who self harms is not usually seeking to end his or her life, but rather as a way to cope with stress, pain, or anxiety. A common misconception is that self harmers/ cutters self harm to draw attention to themselves, that is usually not the case, most self harmers go to great lengths to hide their injuries, or the source of the injuries from others. I used to self harm, and have recently started again, I dont think it's a dangerous way to deal with pain, I think that, as long as your safe with it, use a proper cutting instrument, and are clean with it, then you're ok. I want to know everyone's general opinion of self harm, whether they think it's a safe way to cope or not, and whether anyone has practiced/does practice self harm.

[quote name='Identity']I want to know everyone's general opinion of self harm, whether they think it's a safe way to cope or not, and whether anyone has practiced/does practice self harm.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]It's called "harm" for a reason. If you think that it's safe to hurt yourself, I would like to know your definition of "safe".[/COLOR]
[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]

Edit.

The only reason cutting makes someone feel better anyway is because it releases endorphines into the body. Eating chocolate and running both have the same effect... so I'd rather go with the chocolate.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Personally I see self-harm as being one of the most dangerous and foolish ways of dealing with pain/stress/anxiety. Perhaps that came out a tad more blunt than I'd intended, but having gone through fairly bad depression myself a few years ago, I know the best way of dealing with pain and stress is to deal with the sources of your problems, rather than just trading one pain for another as you do with self-inflicted injuries.

It may not be an intention cry for help, but once you start cutting yourself, even if you cover it up, you are subconsciously telling people there's something wrong with you.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Self harm doesn't annoy me. For my own reasons and I can see why is annoys other people... but I can see why it helps. Don't get me wrong, and I don't really want to defend my opinion if anyone disagrees. No battles for me ta =D

Although it is not nescessarily the case that people do it to draw attention to themselves, there ARE people who do that. And to those who cut themselves (I met a girl once who always drew the conversation back to her by showing off these scars and telling us how she did it... knocked me sick really) for no odd reason because 'it's in' or... whatever... then all I have to say to them is it's not cool to have scars over your body. It's not cool when you get older, more mature, and probably can't wear t-shirts because of these big scars down your arm.

There is no 'safe way' to deal with pain if you're cutting. Like I said if people want to do it, fine, but it's more dangerous than 'cutting a vein' by accident or whatever.

Perhaps people do it at first out of curiousity.

Then they'll do it to cope with pain, or maybe this was the first reason to start.

Then again because they've been hurt and felt it helped last time.

And again because someone just hurt them.

The next time because you think you have some pain... and you think if you don't cut, it'll come back.

Sooner or later you cut because you feel like it's been awhile since the last time.

Then it's an addiction.

That's what happens, most of the time I suppose, if you don't deal with it. Now, how is that not dangerous? It is. And it's far more scary than those who do it for attention (and even if you do it for attention, you obviously have issues if you have you scar your skin to get someone to look at you).

Like I already said - people can do it if they like. But it's a serious, serious problem that doesn't need the help of all this "haha your emo because you cut!" crap. I think if people stopped stereotyping it, more people could come forward for help. Before it becomes a bad addiction.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Identity'] A person who self harms is not usually seeking to end his or her life, but rather as a way to cope with stress, [b]pain[/b], or anxiety. [/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]That seems counter-productive.[/color]

The release of enorphins arent the only reason it makes you feel better. The act of cutting helps you forget about emotional pain and replace it with phsical pain, for some people, it helps to see the blood. I dont think it's the best way to deal with problems, and yes, dealing with the sources of your problems is always a better way, but self harm is by far not the most dangerous way of coping. Some people binge drink, some develop eating disorders, some take it out on others, dont you think self harm is a safer way than any of those?

[quote name='Identity']Some people binge drink, some develop eating disorders, some take it out on others, dont you think self harm is a safer way than any of those?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]I don't believe one way or the other is safer. I'm saying that none of them are safe. They're all very temporary, and in the long run, that will not help you. Professional counciling, FTW.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Identity']Some people binge drink, some develop eating disorders, some take it out on others, dont you think self harm is a safer way than any of those?[/QUOTE]

[size=1]Like so many other things it's subjective, one slip of that blade and yes it does become far more dangerous than any of the others. But even if we're to put that aside, cutting yourself is no safer than any of the other options you've presented, a more silent way perhaps, but no safer.[/size]

I was never a cutter myself, but I have tried suicide many times. I have overdosed and jumped off the roof of my house, now thinking back on it I was foolish of course.
Anyway back on topic I believe it isn't the safest way to deal with your problems and should seek some phyciatric help, I have known many cutters one has died from cutting to deep and another is in a phyc. ward getting help with her problem. It may not seem like the best thing to do (going to get some help) but it is the best thing for you...

[quote name='Identity']The release of enorphins arent the only reason it makes you feel better. The act of cutting helps you forget about emotional pain and replace it with phsical pain, for some people, it helps to see the blood. I dont think it's the best way to deal with problems, and yes, dealing with the sources of your problems is always a better way, but self harm is by far not the most dangerous way of coping. Some people binge drink, some develop eating disorders, some take it out on others, dont you think self harm is a safer way than any of those?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]It's dangerous because of the accidents involved and, like I said, addiction. One day you might get so annoyed and emotional that you take it too far - if you scar your face that's going to be there and people are going to look at it for the rest of your life. You'll live with it. If you binge drink and live... well, you have a bad liver. No one knows that and without knowing, they won't judge you.

What about the pain to others?

I knew someone who cut themselves and school forced them to tell their parents. Their mother was horrified and in tears, their friends were worried. I drink every weekend - no one gives a ****. They'll so "Oh... that's a bad idea..." but if they found out I cut every weekend, my god, they'd all have a fit. They'd be very upset.

It is not [i]the[/i] most dangerous self harm, but I think cutting yourself is pretty close to the top. It depends really. The deeper, the worse. And it scars. It doesn't go away. You binge drink you don't stay drunk the rest of the life. You have an eating disorder if you sort it out you don't stay like that forever. Some effects will still remain, but they're much harder for other people to see. If you do cut very very badly then there's no way in hell people aren't going to ask about it after you stopped.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial]I also do not understand the concept behind self-harm. I understand how some can choose it as an avenue for release, but not the act itself.

Basically, self-harm boils down to an escape tactic, falling in with overtly 'negative' conditions, such as drug or alcohol abuse, and also innocuous tactics, like workaholism, video games, or creative writing.

I've always preferred fighting my sources of stress and anxiety directly, so I can be rid of them and not open myself to any addictions by that route. (Lord knows its easy enough for me to overdo things anyway. :animesmil)[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Identity;785008]Self harm is defined as any behavior that injures oneself without the intent of suicide. A person who self harms is not usually seeking to end his or her life, but rather as a way to cope with stress, pain, or anxiety. [/QUOTE]That's really a contradiction, using pain to deal with existing pain. In the end all it does is distract you from the real cause or problem. It doesn't solve anything.[quote name='Identity;785008] A common misconception is that self harmers/ cutters self harm to draw attention to themselves, that is usually not the case, most self harmers go to great lengths to hide their injuries, or the source of the injuries from others. [/QUOTE]Whether or not they hide it isn't the issue, the issue is that something in their life is causing stress, pain, anxiety, etc. Even if they hide it, it's still an attempt to fix a problem and obviously on some level they do want help. If they didn't they wouldn't engage in destructive behavior in the first place.[QUOTE=Identity'']I used to self harm, and have recently started again, I dont think it's a dangerous way to deal with pain, I think that, as long as your safe with it, use a proper cutting instrument, and are clean with it, then you're ok. I want to know everyone's general opinion of self harm, whether they think it's a safe way to cope or not, and whether anyone has practiced/does practice self harm.[/quote]What part of the word harm do you not understand? You're damaging your body over whatever is bothering you in an attempt to relieve it. Wouldn't it be better to find out what's stressing you or causing the pain and anxiety and deal with it? Self-Harm/injury is an escape tactic not a cure or solution.

The very definition of what one does means it can't be a safe way to cope. Perhaps not as dangerous as one who truly is suicidal, but still not a good way to deal with it. Self- harm/injury is often an indication of depression and/or other psychological problems. Therapy, depending upon the person's issues, in the long run can do more for a person than the cutting/harm ever will. ;)[/COLOR]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]To anybody who knows me, this may shock you. I myself used to be a cutter. my target of choice was the thigh. It's easy to hide, hard to find unless you're stripping me, and fairly safe in the "chances of dying are low" sort of way. I'll try to explain how it helps some people, although if you've never done it, you will never fully understand. It gives you something strong (and hard to ignore) to think about in order to teporarily forget your own heart aches and emotional cuts.

I no longer cut, due to a slip that came close enough to my femoral artory to scare the hell out of me, but due to recent heart breaking events, it has become tempting. I do not condone self harm, but I will not sit here a hypocrit and condemn it either.

I have learned that there is no safe target for your blade, but if you do cut, I recommend the middle toe, where very little damage is done, but the pain comes freely. Plus it's easy to hide, unless you wear flip-flops and know people with feet fedishes. ^_~[/FONT]

I used to, and I'm still working to lessen the scars. Keep in mind, it may help a little now, but in the long run those scars handicap you, you have to be much more cautious and it could make future endeavors more difficult. I started smoking a year before that and I figured if I'm got two methods of stress relief why not pick one. I chose the one that people won't see the effects from.

I'm not telling you to go buy a pack of cigarettes, I'm telling you to find something else that helps cope with stress. Draw, play games, listen to music, do something that won't be a permanent reminder of the bad parts in your life. If those times are so bad, why would you want a constant reminder of them?

*edit* Not to mention I fractured two of the knuckles on my right hand. Self-harm is no picnic, it causes a lot of problems down the road. I've had problems everyone does, but the last thing I want to do now is carry them around now. I don't like having to wear long sleeves in the hot humid summer just because my past is revealed all down my arm. I've changed since then and so have my views on self harm. I don't want to have so many reminders of the bad times that I don't remember the good.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]The worst I've done in the ways of self harm was no eating or drinking for two days and grabbing onto my arms and let my nails sink in till they leave very deep imprints.

After almost fainting in the shower, I will never do that again and there are better ways to relieve stress by thinking of the ones I love and playing Devil May Cry and DDR than digging my nails into my skin or starving myself. I also promised many never to starve myself like that again.

As for other people, I see where they are coming from, however, I try to act silly around them to cheer them up and to get them to do something physical...like pool or bowling.[/COLOR]

[size=1]I still struggle with it - the cutting, pills, starving, bruising, degrading ...
Perhaps this is why questioning is dangerous? 'Why should I be at peace with myself/why shouldn't I?'

All I can say is that cutting puts me in a very strange place. Think of the psychological position one has to be to inflict injury on oneself. The default response of the brain is to avoid harm. The body doesn't like scrapes and bruises by default. ...but to counter the default.

It's like a tree wanting to set itself on fire. Nobody understands, but then again, neither does it. [/size]

[quote name='Identity'] I dont think it's a dangerous way to deal with pain, I think that, as long as your safe with it, use a proper cutting instrument, and are clean with it, then you're ok. I want to know everyone's general opinion of self harm, whether they think it's a safe way to cope or not, and whether anyone has practiced/does practice self harm.[/QUOTE]I'll admit that I really don't understand what drives someone to actually hurt themselves. I just don't. So with that in mind, it is fairly obvious that I can't possibly say that harming yourself is safe in any sense of the word. I mean you are 'harming' yourself.

The fact that as Juuthena pointed out, you've overridden your body's natural response to not get hurt tells me that it's not safe at all. So honestly, if you really feel that way I hope you look for other ways to feel better or get yourself out of whatever is driving you to feel like harming yourself.

I would imagine that if you really look you could find other things that help, whether it's therapy, chocolate as someone else mentioned, or simply playing games. I'm sure there must be something that would work. But again, like I said, I can't relate to it as I've never felt that way at all.