OtakuBoards

Otaku is NOT a good self proclamation!

IHZ

[quote name='IHZ']Wow...

2 pages already?

I didn't think that so many peoples would reply to this, well I've read most of all yours posts and seriously you've changed my view out of it. I must admit I was planning on getting a bunch of hatemail from everyone who would reply, I'm really sorry for I have misjudged you all. I didn't suscribe to the forum to make rants but since the website is called "otaku" I wanted to spread the message here, you're all very smart and think how all true fans should think.

I am, however, used to the real 'stupid' fans who called themselves otakus without knowing it's meaning but when I used to tell them they would enter in all CAPS LOCK mode to tell me how I suck that I know nothing of Anime and that I'm just a dip***.

I'm happy to see that I finally stumbled on a good forum with peoples who actually think smoothly.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Probably has something to do with the fact that OtakuBoards hasn't been Anime-centric for the last few years. I imagine had you posted that back in 2000/2001 you probably might have got the response you were expecting. Heh, good times. [/SIZE]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ShinigamiNoMiko']That might be true in Japan, but are most of us on here Japanese OR living in Japan? No, no we're not. [/QUOTE]

>_> Actually, I'm half...

(Ironically half korean too lololol =( )

Well in all and all I'm glad to see I can have smart conversations with fans here. I know I'm new and I've been searching over the different forums to see where I can make a biref introduction...is there a place on this board?

[quote name='IHZ']I am, however, used to the real 'stupid' fans who called themselves otakus without knowing it's meaning but when I used to tell them they would enter in all CAPS LOCK mode to tell me how I suck that I know nothing of Anime and that I'm just a dip***.

I'm happy to see that I finally stumbled on a good forum with peoples who actually think smoothly.[/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]I do think it's a legitimate discussion, but we've had quite a few threads like this on OB over the years. I agree that there are probably a lot of people out there who really don't know what the word means and don't apply it properly.

On the other hand we have to be careful not to apply it too rigidly either - some anime fans refuse to accept that a word can have slightly different connotations in the west, particularly among anime/gaming enthusiasts.[/color]

[quote]Well in all and all I'm glad to see I can have smart conversations with fans here. I know I'm new and I've been searching over the different forums to see where I can make a biref introduction...is there a place on this board?[/quote]

[color=#606060]Not as such, but I think you've just made your introduction. And it was a very positive one. We're happy to have you. ^_^[/color]

I think it's obvious that for many of us the word Otaku has a different meaning. After all until I found this place I had never even heard of it. I've since learned what it means but again, that doesn't really apply here. lol Seriously the only thing I think of when I hear the word Otaku is theOtaku.com myOtaku.com and OtakuBoards, all three simply being a site for anime fans and a whole lot more.

So yeah, some of us do think of ourselves as Otaku, but not in the same sense as they do in Japan. For me it's simply that I'm a member of this site not that I'm obsessed with it. Words definately do get a different meaning when they show up in other cultures. Or rather they are understood differently. :catgirl:

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']After all until I found this place I had never even heard of it. I've since learned what it means but again, that doesn't really apply here. lol Seriously the only thing I think of when I hear the word Otaku is theOtaku.com myOtaku.com and OtakuBoards, all three simply being a site for anime fans and a whole lot more. [/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Same here, I'd assumed the word meant some sort of anime fan but I didn't actually know the exact context until I looked it up a few years ago. Actually it was Otacon from Metal Gear Solid that I first heard the word and a kind of half-meaning.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='James'][color=#606060]I don't know, Premonition...I've been thinking about changing our name to FanBoards for quite a while.

Then we'd have a [i]truly[/i] fun site! :blulaugh:[/color][/QUOTE]For the record James... that is one[I] retarded[/I] looking smile/icon. lol

Anyway... although I am familiar with what Otaku means, I've never really considered it a serious issue as far as being used here in America. Most of the time it's used in a context that doesn't have the same meaning as it does in Japan. I think the diversity of OtakuBoards really proves that. There's so much here that has absolutely nothing to do with anime.

And though I do consider myself Otaku in the sense that I like anime and such, it's far from being an obsession. And my friends who are Japanese, they know perfectly well that I'm not really an Otaku as they understand it. It's kind of a mixed reaction. Some of them think the western adaptation of the word is funny and others just politely accept that we misuse the word.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Charles']Eh, I don't know, vegeta rocker.

Perhaps you should consider THAT before choosing a user name. Then again, you could be referring to the term "vegeta" as a food--and vegetables do indeed rock. So, you're vindicated.[/QUOTE]

lol

i explained in the topic of why we choose our usernames why i chose VegetaRocker. I was in a music forum first and everyone had a name kinda centered around music. At the time i really like vegeta and i liked rock music, i never changed it since i would probably forget and its also the name i used on my first forum.

I'm just sentimental i guess.

Vegetables do rock however, maybe that could be my excuse next time someone mentions something about it.

We can't all have cool names like you Charles.

As for being on topic, i think you made quite a memorable intro. lol

Man i remember the intro threads......they should have just labeled the sub forum Spam Lounge.

[quote name='Charles']Perhaps you should consider THAT before choosing a user name. Then again, you could be referring to the term "vegeta" as a food--and vegetables do indeed rock. So, you're vindicated.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]I used to think he was called Fajita. :nope:

But really, have any of you guys seen how much Japanese people obsess over David Beckham?[/color]

[quote name='AJeh'][size=1]lol oh my god. I [i]double[/i] dare you.[/size] :animenose[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah and let's change the Geisha style to one of Jessica Alba...Actually could we possibly get a Jessica Alba style ? Might really help with posting about stuff, you know involving things. :p[/SIZE]

[quote name='Bombu'][color=darkred]But really, have any of you guys seen how much Japanese people obsess over David Beckham?[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, you'd wonder what would happen if they were exposed to a real celebrity...[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Yeah and let's change the Geisha style to one of Jessica Alba...Actually could we possibly get a Jessica Alba style ? Might really help with posting about stuff, you know involving things. :p[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]All right that does it; [B]Gavin[/B] is a [I][U]genious[/U][/I].

Plus Fajita Rocker would sound odd, really it would! >P[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Same here, I'd assumed the word meant some sort of anime fan but I didn't actually know the exact context until I looked it up a few years ago. Actually it was Otacon from Metal Gear Solid that I first heard the word and a kind of half-meaning.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]I didn't find out until I joined myOtaku and OtakuBoards. I'd heard the phrase before but didn't give it a second thought. Even being a member I just took it to mean one was an anime fan. lol Until I mentioned that I was a member at OtakuBoards to one of my friends from Japan and she gave me the oddest look and then explained why.

But seeing that now I belong to myOtaku, work for both theOtaku and OtakuBoards and even have an e-mail with theOtaku in it, guess that means I'm screwed. LOL! [[SIZE="1"]I kid![/SIZE]][quote name='indifference;785977][COLOR="Indigo"]For the record James... that is one[I] retarded[/I] looking smile/icon. lol [/COLOR][/QUOTE]I'll second that. That [I]is[/I] one[I] retarded [/I]looking smile/icon. :blulaugh: In fact I can't help but laugh at it. Hehe.[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"']And though I do consider myself Otaku in the sense that I like anime and such, it's far from being an obsession. And my friends who are Japanese, they know perfectly well that I'm not really an Otaku as they understand it. [/COLOR][/quote]Same here, now if we were to talk about obsession... Anime would not be mine. lol As much as I enjoy it. There are other things I'm into a lot more.

Also, my friends from Japan are the same way. Once they realized the context in how I use the word Otaku... it wasn't a big deal at all. ^_~ [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]All right that does it; [B]Gavin[/B] is a [I][U]genious[/U][/I].
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

Apparently you're not so [b][u]genius[/b][/u] yourself, haha. Just messing with ya kid.

I myself, don't really mind the label otaku or nerd or whatever. I read comicbooks, manga, I watch anime and cartoons, I'm a film geek and I do all sorts of geeky things, including regular OtakuBoards. However, I balance out my not-so-socially-popular hobbies with things that I suppose render me a cool guy. I have a good fashion sense, I'm athletic, and I'm pretty smooth with the ladies.

So I fashion myself the "cool nerd". Yeah, I'm obsessed with the specifics of some things that I like, so I can easily be labeled an otaku. I mean, you get me started on my Naruto manga and "how much better the anime is" (totally not), I'll fight you sir or madam. I can have conversations, debates, or arguements on all sorts of weird topics from the specifics of Cowboy Bebop to the inspirations and musical stylings of Samurai Champloo. Luckily I'm also very keyed into current pop culture and know how to push my own cool factor along, so, I play it down the middle.

As geeky I am about anime, I am also about current popular music, cinema, and other things. My philosophy is "Call me nerd/otaku all you want, I'm still cooler than you... so what's that make you, loser?"[/color][/size]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]I don't know, Premonition...I've been thinking about changing our name to FanBoards for quite a while.

Then we'd have a [i]truly[/i] fun site! :blulaugh:[/color][/QUOTE]

That would rock so nerdcore. I'm seconding....or thirding the idea :p

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Really. You guys are a bunch of nerds. All of you. Lame nerds. Dumb Otakus.

Who

Cares?

Really, it's just a title that some people choose to dictate how they judge others without knowing them.
I mean, really, Japan as a whole would be one big otaku. They love their anime, videogames and other nerdy obsessions.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]I was just thinking, if we were to confine the title of Otaku to just OtakuBoards, then it wasn't all that long ago people were trying to post their way up to one and two thousand posts to get it and Extreme Otaku as their user titles. Funny really, we say now it doesn't matter what you're called, back then it mattered immensely.

Only ever got to Member myself before they changed it. Be a No Lifer now. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Yeah, you'd wonder what would happen if they were exposed to a real celebrity...[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I know. Hey, I know that they're really from the UK and everything, but would you consider taking the Beckhams back and giving us Sean Connory?[/color][/font]

Christ it still amazes me how people can keep a thread like this going for so long.

The people who say they are otakus usually just want the title because it might make them fit in more with anime fans. But they have no knowledge to what extent the term means

The actual otakus don't acknowledge it and do spend their entire lives obsessing over anime , video games, etc...

Sorry if this was repeated I skimmed the thread:animeswea

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]I was just thinking, if we were to confine the title of Otaku to just OtakuBoards, then it wasn't all that long ago people were trying to post their way up to one and two thousand posts to get it and Extreme Otaku as their user titles. Funny really, we say now it doesn't matter what you're called, back then it mattered immensely.

Only ever got to Member myself before they changed it. Be a No Lifer now. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]Which begs the question: what would happen if we ever re-introduced titles/ranks based on post count?

I wonder if people would care as much as they used to, or if it would be such a novelty (since we haven't had it for ages) that it would spur people to post. :smirk:

Ahh, the mysteries of life.[/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='James'][color=#606060]Which begs the question: what would happen if we ever re-introduced titles/ranks based on post count?

I wonder if people would care as much as they used to, or if it would be such a novelty (since we haven't had it for ages) that it would spur people to post. :smirk:

Ahh, the mysteries of life.[/color][/QUOTE]Awww... no fair! *pouts* >_< I'd still be stuck with my title of [B]Moderator[/B] of[B] Otaku Lounge[/B]. XP Hehe I kid. ^_~ Still I'd be curious to see just what those titles were. Just for fun that is. And for the most part I'm betting people wouldn't care. :catgirl: [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Awww... no fair! *pouts* >_< I'd still be stuck with my title of [B]Moderator[/B] of[B] Otaku Lounge[/B]. XP Hehe I kid. ^_~ Still I'd be curious to see just what those titles were. Just for fun that is. And for the most part I'm betting people wouldn't care. :catgirl: [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I'd care, i'd care!!

I'd love to have some sort of nifty rank by my name to let people know i'm not a complete otaku-noob. Something like... awesome-commander-sexy-guy. That's actually very fitting for me. I am all of those things!:bdance:
[/FONT][/COLOR]