OtakuBoards

Otaku is NOT a good self proclamation!

IHZ

[size=1]I could just put [i]Extreme Otaku[/i] in my custom title right now, but it wouldn't be half as much fun. Plus, I'd rather have people think that I think of myself as an extreme otaku. Because [i]Otaku is NOT a good self proclamation![/i] Let stand [i]extreme[/i] Otaku.

Ahem. Yeah. I've always wanted to see what came after:
[b]Newbie[/b] 0-250
[b][strike]New[/strike] [color=red]Junior[/color] Member[/b] 250-500
[b]Member[/b] 500-1000
[b]Otaku[/b] 1000-2000
[b]Extreme Otaku[/b] 2000-3000
[b]No Life[/b] 3000-[strike]4000[/strike] [color=red]5000[/color]
[b]I Live Here[/b] [strike]4000[/strike] [color=red]5000[/color]-???
[b]???[/b] ???-N/A

Something like that right? James, please tell the world once and for all what came after that so we can finally stop spamming posts in the hope that the title system might come back.

[b]Edit:[/b] Okay, to quote how I put it a few versions ago:
[quote=dark_apocalyps]0 newbie
250 jr member
500 member
1000 otaku
2000 xtreme otaku
3000 no life
5000 i live here[/quote]

Now mistery posts (I'm still looking for the revealing post):
[quote name='James'][color=#707875]There is a rank beyond "I Live Here", yes. But you'll have to wait and see what it is. ~_^[/color][/QUOTE]
After spending almost half an hour of searching I still haven't found the answer. [b]We need the answer for the survival of the community![/b]
[/size]

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]
Something like that right? James, please tell the world once and for all what came after that so we can finally stop spamming posts in the hope that the title system might come back.[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]I thought I answered this a while ago didn't I?

And now it's been so long that I don't even remember. I don't think it was anything remarkable though, haha. I'll have to ask Adam, he might remember (although he's away for nearly a month as of today).

[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I know. Hey, I know that they're really from the UK and everything, but would you consider taking the Beckhams back and giving us Sean Connory?[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]You'd have to talk to the UK members about that, but I think Big Tam considers himself a proud Scotsman over being an UK citizen... or is that Big Yin (Billy Connelly) ? Either way, Beckham's not good enough to play European football any more, so no. :p[/SIZE]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]Which begs the question: what would happen if we ever re-introduced titles/ranks based on post count?

I wonder if people would care as much as they used to, or if it would be such a novelty (since we haven't had it for ages) that it would spur people to post. :smirk:

Ahh, the mysteries of life.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Honestly I don't know, I think we have matured as a Boards to the point that people aren't going to just try and spam their way up to the next user title, and if they do, we've got a mod-squad dedicated enough to slap them back into place.

Of course maybe I'm just saying that because I'd probably get a cool title if they were reintroduced. :animesmil[/SIZE]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]Something like that right? James, please tell the world once and for all what came after that so we can finally stop spamming posts in the hope that the title system might come back.[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Indeed, I'd be rather curious to know what came after "I live here" as well, seeing as D'Ann was the only person I remember to get it. But wasn't it 5,000 posts to get it as opposed to 4,000 ?[/SIZE]

[quote name='Boo'][SIZE=1][B]Newbie[/B] 0-250
[B][strike]New[/strike] [COLOR=red]Junior[/COLOR] Member[/B] 250-500
[B]Member[/B] 500-1000
[B]Otaku[/B] 1000-2000
[B]Extreme Otaku[/B] 2000-3000
[B]No Life[/B] 3000-[strike]4000[/strike] [COLOR=red]5000[/COLOR]
[B]I Live Here[/B] [strike]4000[/strike] [COLOR=red]5000[/COLOR]-???
[B]???[/B] ???-N/A [/SIZE][/quote]Bah! Where's the fun in that? I mean... my title wouldn't change at all! lol Though I do think the [B]No Life[/B] and [B]I Live Here[/B] ones are pretty funny. :catgirl:

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Bah! Where's the fun in that? I mean... my title wouldn't change at all! lol Though I do think the [B]No Life[/B] and [B]I Live Here[/B] ones are pretty funny. :catgirl:[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]That's because you haven't been around long enough to [strike]spam[/strike] make enough high quality posts into a four figured post count.

And seriously James, you have to tell us what came after "I live here". I don't imagine there would be one after it, as someone would need probably nine-thousand posts to get it, if the old system of doubling the post different between ranks held.

"IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND !!!" Yes, I had to say it. :animesmil[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1]That's because you haven't been around long enough to [strike]spam[/strike] make enough high quality posts into a four figured post count.

And seriously James, you have to tell us what came after "I live here". I don't imagine there would be one after it, as someone would need probably nine-thousand posts to get it, if the old system of doubling the post different between ranks held.

"IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND !!!" Yes, I had to say it. :animesmil[/SIZE][/quote][COLOR=Indigo]Not to mention, Rach hasn't figured out how to actually spam either. lol

As for me, like SunfallE my title would not change. I'd still be [B]Category Moderator[/B] of [B]Entertainment[/B] Though if I were not a mod I'd earn the title of [B]Otaku[/B]. Though I already have the [B]Otaku Legend[/B] title over at myOtaku.

As for you Gavin... I already know you have [B]No Life[/B]. :p Don't need a title system based on posts to tell me that. [[SIZE=1]I kid[/SIZE]]
[/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR=Indigo]As for you Gavin... I already know you have [B]No Life[/B]. :p Don't need a title system based on posts to tell me that. [[SIZE=1]I kid[/SIZE]][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Heh, that's a very good point Crystia. But if you're usually the first person to respond to my posts, what does that say about you ? Yep, [B]No Life[/B] either. :p[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin;786377][SIZE=1]Heh, that's a very good point Crystia. But if you're usually the first person to respond to my posts, what does that say about you ? Yep, [B]No Life[/B] either. :p[/SIZE][/quote][COLOR=Indigo]And here I thought it was due to this:[/COLOR][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE=1']Well I suspected you just couldn't resist my devilish Irish charm. :p[/SIZE][/quote][COLOR=Indigo]You know, the reason why you said I respond to your posts a little while ago, whether to agree or disagree... I'm crushed, and here I thought it was that devilish Irish charm instead of having [B]No Life[/B]. I think I'm sad. lol

Still in the end, those titles are pretty funny, and seeing that there are only five members who have more than 5,000 posts that last title would be pretty exclusive. If we ever find out just what it actually is. Heh.

[/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR=Indigo]You know, the reason why you said I respond to your posts a little while ago, whether to agree or disagree... I'm crushed, and here I thought it was that devilish Irish charm instead of having [B]No Life[/B]. I think I'm sad. lol

Still in the end, those titles are pretty funny, and seeing that there are only five members who have more than 5,000 posts that last title would be pretty exclusive. If we ever find out just what it actually is. Heh.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Heh maybe it's a combination both. I'm sure if I wasn't around as much my charm would be less potent.

Maybe we should reintroduce the post count titles, but instead of having the set ones, have a little competition to come up with new ones and maybe even increase the number of titles available. The titles themselves would have to be centric to OB lore as well. Thoughts ?[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Maybe we should reintroduce the post count titles, but instead of having the set ones, have a little competition to come up with new ones and maybe even increase the number of titles available. The titles themselves would have to be centric to OB lore as well. Thoughts ?[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]Yes please, let's put in more effort to get ourselves names that are supposedly [i]NOT good proclamations[/i].[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]Yes please, let's put in more effort to get ourselves names that are supposedly [i]NOT good proclamations[/i].[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Heh, well seeing as only two of them ever had Otaku in the title, and apparently we don't care about it's meaning, I'm sure we could work around that. :animesmil[/SIZE]

[color=#606060]I believe the final title on previous versions could only be attained once a member hit 10,000 posts. I think it was sort of something Adam and I were curious about...to see if anyone would ever hit that mark.

As for post titles, we'll see. If the community really wants them back, we can look at reintroducing them (although I agree new titles would be better than the old ones we had).[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]As for post titles, we'll see. If the community really wants them back, we can look at reintroducing them (although I agree new titles would be better than the old ones we had).[/color][/QUOTE]

I think that would change something about the boards because there will be a lot of new members who would be spamming just to see when they're finally a member.
I think it would also depend a bit on - if the mods are up for the job. Because I know other sites that have the post titles and I see too much spamming.
I've been here since... I think about 2005 and I think I like it the way it is. I've changed username once (so no one will ever know :p).

[quote name='KingEarthEater']I think that would change something about the boards because there will be a lot of new members who would be spamming just to see when they're finally a member.
I think it would also depend a bit on - if the mods are up for the job. Because I know other sites that have the post titles and I see too much spamming.
I've been here since... I think about 2005 and I think I like it the way it is. I've changed username once (so no one will ever know :p).[/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]Oh yeah, I understand that if we decide to go down this route we might be encouraging spamming.

Having said that though, I suppose the beauty of it all is that nothing is set in stone - we can change to and fro as much as we like. If something doesn't work we can change it...and by the same token, we can always trial new ideas without making them permanent.

I think because the site is much more quality-focused than it was years ago, it may now be the time to try ideas that just couldn't have worked back then. But again, it does come down to what the members want with that stuff.

Maybe we can hold a vote on something like this and make it a real community thing.[/color]

[FONT=Arial]Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, eggs, and spam.

Spammity-spam, spam spam, spammit.

(Sorry. Just had to get that out of my systems.)

I'm sure the ranking thingummy would go over with some members. I think, though, that if I ever hit 10,000 posts, I'd either have to be in my forties or be contemplating suicide. :p That's so far beyond no-lifer that I'd actually be having to give parts of it back. And I like my life, thank you.

[quote name='Boo][SIZE="1"]Yes please, let's put in more effort to get ourselves names that are supposedly [U]NOT good proclamations[/U'].[/SIZE][/quote]
What, you mean like Rat Boy?[/FONT]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]Maybe we can hold a vote on something like this and make it a real community thing.[/color][/QUOTE]

Yeah, well I don't really see a problem with it... We should do that. I'm for it. Trail and error right?
As long as we learn from our mistakes then it should be a problem. I wasn't too active back in 2005 though, so I wouldn't know that much.

[SIZE="1"]Maybe we could make coming up with the new member titles a competition in the Event forum. People submit a list of names and why they think they reflect Otaku[b]Boards[/b] as a community and then others vote on them, the top five get submitted to James who picks the overall winner. Be interesting to see what kind of names people would come up with.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Maybe we could make coming up with the new member titles a competition in the Event forum. People submit a list of names and why they think they reflect Otaku[b]Boards[/b] as a community and then others vote on them, the top five get submitted to James who picks the overall winner. Be interesting to see what kind of names people would come up with.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]I like that idea, even though getting a different title won't matter to me. At least so long as I'm a mod that is. And even with the potential for spamming, it's not like it couldn't be switched back if it became too much of an issue. So I say we do something like this and see what happens. I bet people would come up with some really fun titles. :catgirl:

Oh and it goes without saying that I'm up for some spam hunting if necessary. After all with the changes, moderation is quite a bit easier to do than it was before. The additional tools really are nifty. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='IHZ']I'm making this topic for the sole purpose that it annoy me to see all these peoples calling themselves otaku when they don't know what that means, I'm not trying to make fun of anyone or be evil.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]...Don't flatter yourself. You are nowhere in the category of evil, do not fret though, you can be one of those "potentially-bad members of the OB".[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='IHZ']I'm only saying that by calling yourself an otaku, you are making fun of yourself and if you were to use this term in Japan to refer yourself as an anime fan then you ARE insulting yourself. [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]Otaku means fan-boy, modernly in Japan, referring to somebody passionate about the media. I don't ever go around calling myself an otaku, though I do have this one shirt (:3), I usually just say, "Hey I like Anime, and Manga, and Music, and Moves, and TV, and Comic Books, and Videogames, and Karaoke, and The Internet, and..umm...umm..."[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='IHZ']Be careful and use the term "fan" rather than Otaku. Otaku is amean thing. [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]Sure.

Anyway. I think you guys should add Ninja and God in there, God for the older members that've been around forever, say, like Nerdsy or Shy, and Ninja for me, just because that would be kinda kewl.

Though I would have...like...six hundred or so if I had stuck to my older accounts....or like 400+ (:3 Don't remember)... now my post count ish kind of low.

But I'm not...a newbie am I? Just a..uh.....older member in a bad situation of accounts. Indeed. O.o[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]What, you mean like Rat Boy?[/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]Otaku! [u][b][i]OTAKU![/i][/b][/u]

Rat Boy would be nice, though. Might have to take that into consideration for my entry to the community event thing if it would appear. Perhaps we should make a new thread in the Suggestions & Feedback area and throw all of the posts there. :][/size]

[quote name='Boo][size=1]Otaku! [u][b][i]OTAKU![/i][/b][/u'][/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial][I]Sheeez[/I], man, give me some credit. (^_^)

I'm personally more in favor of the Event option than the S&F. I [I]think[/I] it might get more action that way; at the very least it'd require no preknowledge of the forum, so the attraction for newer members to contribute might be higher. (I [I]think[/I]. I couldn't say for certain.) If it [U]were[/U] made into an event, we could ask that a variety of members advertise it. At the very least, an announcement should be made ... but I'm sure [COLOR="DarkRed"]James[/COLOR] already knows that.

The idea is growing on me. I'm perfectly fine with being just another member, but every now and again you get to hankerin' for somethin' corny.... :p

It'd be funnier to incorporate posting style into the titles along with the count, but I don't see that being at all realistic. Oh well.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]Well I'm glad to see people are receptive to my idea, I was pretty sure I was going to be told to be quiet and slink back into the annals of OB history, yes I'm looking at you Crystia ! :p Anyway, hopefully we won't get too many people demanding that the first title be "[B]n00b Scum[/B]" or something along those lines. :animesmil[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Anyway, hopefully we won't get too many people demanding that the first title be "[B]n00b Scum[/B]" or something along those lines. :animesmil[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]... The title [i]is[/i] part of the representation of a person's status at the boards.[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][size=1]... The title [i]is[/i] part of the representation of a person's status at the boards.[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah I'm sure having that title for their first 250 posts will really encourage people to put effort into what they post and not just spam mindlessly to get a new one. :p[/SIZE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="3"]I think that would be a pretty good idea. (So long as I can keep my own custom-title too.) It would certainly spice things up, and if worst comes to worst, it can always be undone.

I agree that, since the quality here is better than other boards that do ranks based on posts, we probably won't get too much of spamming.

Also, this thought just occured to me: Is there an event where the participants vote on titles for others? (ex: Most Irish, teh l337, Biggest Eva fan, Most-Likely-To-Cause-Others-Blindness-Do-To-Font/Size/Color-of-Posts) If not, could we do something like that. (I haven't been active for to long, so I missed out on the creation of Otakupedia and the like.)[/SIZE][/FONT]