OtakuBoards

Hogwarts: Underground [PG- V,L]

Lionheart

[SIZE="1"]Emily sounds a bit more interesting than Binns to be perfectly honest. And a rather amazing sign-up for her as well. But nothing less to be expected from you of course.

--

This looks to be quite interesting/entertaining/and fun all at the same time. The mix of characters looks good and considering it wasn't set back in 'Harrys' days then it will certainly be interesting to see what brand-new storyline branches out from the Harry Potter universe.

--

This also looked quite good for a *cough* comeback *cough* so to speak.

--

That's all for now; I'm perfectly certain I will have more queries at some point.

[/SIZE]

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="Navy"][size=1]Just letting you all know if I get in; I'm not that big of a HP fan >.> I haven't read one of the books in a loooooong time! I don't remember anything from OotP (haven't seen the movie either), didn't read HBP, and don't really have any intentions of reading DH.

But wow, this is already getting confusing with the amount of characters and the classes. @.@[/size][/COLOR]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Bah, I do Hogwarts a favour by giving them an animated, hell living, history teacher and I get told people prefer Binns. You all suck. :animesmil[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

But having a ghost as a teacher IS much more interesting than, well, another human. ;P

I'm all for variety in the NPCs, but really, they're not that important considering this game. Which by the way should start already! XP

[B]Ancient Runes[/B]
[B]Name:[/B] Terence Aldridge
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Age:[/B] 51
[B]House:[/B] Hufflepuff
[B]Wand:[/B] Brazilwood, 12", Alphyn Hair
[B]Personality:[/B] Torrence is truly the essence of Hufflepuff. In fact, he's a direct descendant of Helga's. He's kind to all of her students, and has been known to look the other way on late homework when a good argument is presented. He shows no favoritism between houses, and besides teaching ancient runes, he's always trying to unlock his students' hidden talents and passions in the classroom.

Okay, here you go... No biggie. I didn't change anything exept gender, name, and the word "She" to "He"... Sign up still sounds good, so this is great for me...

To Sandy: If you want to change one of my character's races, than you can. I often pictured Josaphine as a bit house elf-ish... IDK, maybe 20 years later, elf relations are large enough for them to be teaching... Besides, an elf doesn't need a wand to teach muggle studies... But this is all up to you guys

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Sandy, can you [I]really [/I]mention Binns [I]and [/I]being interesting in the same sentence?

Although I do agree with your sentiment that this game needs to start soon - feels like we've all been getting a little bogged down in the sheer number of teachers we are using.

Just out of interest, Lionheart, how were you planning on keeping this from descending into chaos? I mean, with this number of characters doing all these different things, it could get pretty hectic pretty quickly. Maybe we should all come up with timetables like Kitty and Will did? Could bring some order to proceedings.

Also, depending on when this starts, I may not be able to post for a couple of days - I'm going into hospital for surgery on Friday and it's likely the anesthetic will knock me out of it for a few days. So if that happens then someone can play my characters until I can post. Just thought I'd let you all know.

EDIT: Haha, the idea of a house-elf teacher is hilarious. Every time they misrepresented Muggles in any way they'd be running down to the kitchens to slam their heads in the ovens!
[/FONT]

[quote name='Blayze'][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Sandy, can you [I]really [/I]mention Binns [I]and [/I]being interesting in the same sentence?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Heh you could, "Professor [I]Binns[/I] is not [I]interesting[/I]" see ?

Anyway, I agree with Alex, we need to draw up some kind of schedule for classes for each year and start the RPG soon.[/SIZE]

I was just thinking about that last night Blayze and been it's been giving me some trouble. I did notice a lot of people joining this RP and have no means of making it chaotic. It would be a good plan to make timetables to have order into the story. Anyone want to help me on this? Im just as excited of starting this thing and want it going, but I want it to go smoothly.

I'll make my own character's curriculum now. All third-graders are free to use it too. ;D
[indent][B]Monday:[/B]
Herbology
Herbology
- lunch -
History of Magic
Charms
[B]Tuesday:[/B]
Transfiguration
DADA
- lunch -
Potions
Potions
[B]Wednesday:[/B]
Charms
Charms
- lunch -
Potions
DADA
- freetime -
Astronomy*
[B]Thursday:[/B]
Herbology
DADA
- lunch -
Transfiguration
Transfiguration
[B]Friday:[/B]
History of Magic
History of Magic
- lunch -
Muggle Studies**
Divination**[/indent]
*) Astronomy classes are always held on nights, this is canon. ;D
**) Optional classes seem to have only one class for each subject.

This information is gathered from the [url=http://www.hp-lexicon.com][U]Harry Potter Lexicon[/U][/url].

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I just cobbled this together from anything I could take from the Harry Potter Lexicon combined with the idea that a student needs to have 3 lessons of each subject a week (this is a guess, I don't know if it's true or not), the fact that sixth-years get free time, and trying to avoid double-booking with Sandy's timetable. Any sixth-years can feel free to use it as well.

[B]Monday[/B]
Free time
DADA
-lunch-
Potions
Free time
-evenings = Duelling Club

[B]Tuesday[/B]
Herbology
Potions
-lunch-
Free time
Charms

[B]Wednesday[/B]
Potions
DADA
-lunch-
Free Time
Transfiguration

[B]Thursday[/B]
DADA
Transfiguration
-lunch-
Herbology
Free Time

[B]Friday[/B]
Transfiguration
Free Time
-lunch-
Herbology
Free Time

[B]Saturday[/B]
Quidditch Practice

I thought Quidditch practice would be best on Saturday mornings - as matches approach I suppose there could be some during the week. I also took a guess and said that Duelling Club would be on a Monday evening.

Hope this is alright!
[/FONT]

[size=1]Even with these schedules, I can't really imagine keeping track of these classes every single day. Not that I have any good suggestions really, but is there another way to simplify this even more? I'm more worried about how the students in different years are going to work in interactions with each other. If Quidditch practice/games are the only times... For the classes, there could always be some new system being implemented - when I was in grade school, they had 3 consecutive years put in the same class in order for the older students help the younger ones, or something like that. I don't know if we could do the same thing here...it's just a suggestion to get us all together more. Stop me if it sounds too stupid.

Also, can I make an addition to the Hogsmeade Village? It would be cool to put in a store for Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes! ^__^

Also, if this begins in the next...oh, two days, I won't be able to post, because I'll be on a plane to Korea. After that I should be able to squeeze some in though. Cheers![/size]

[COLOR="Navy"][size=1]Yeah, the thing about interaction between the different years troubled me too. And keeping track of the classes will be hard to keep up with, but I don't have any solutions, though Cyriel's sounds quite good. I was never in any mixed classes but I have friends who did, though they were and are rare here.[/size][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#35425e]Lionheart, can I suggest some rules regarding our schedules?

[B]Core Subjects[/B]
1) Core and optional subjects will be taken twice a week, at most. We can't have any of these taught thrice a week because then there'd be no more timeslots left for the other years (remember, these subjects are taught by a single professor).
2) They should be held at regular intervals, like Tuesdays and Thursdays 2nd period or Double Subjects during Fridays. If we scatter all these classes around (i.e. Charms held on Tuesday 2nd period then Friday 4th period), we'll get more of these schedule overlaps.
3) For 6th and 7th years, they can only take these provided that they qualify for N.E.W.T. levels. That's why they have tons of free time.
4) Classes may be shared by students of different houses but [B]not[/B] by two different years. We can't have them 1st years on a Potions class for 7th years now, can we?

I've attached a summary of the schedules set so far so you can see why we can't have triple subjects.

++++++++

Ah, so complicated. Maybe we should just drop the whole schedule thing and just set dates for the Quidditch matches and the Hogsmeade visits. :D[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I agree with Sirius, seeing as we have only one teacher for each subject, there's no way we can have three core subjects a week for each year, unless the staff are going to employ those time-travelling devices Hermoine used in Book 3.

Perhaps giving them extra free classes would be a better idea, or making classes longer or adding more extra-cirricular activities. Just a few suggestions.[/SIZE]

I see this problem we are having. Gavin, I'm leaning towards giving them extra free time or the suggestion of adding extra-cirricular activities. Sirius, I do agree with the rules regarding the schedules. If though we can't work out a balanced schedule for the students, maybe we should drop it like you say and just set dates for the Quidditch matches and the Hogsmeade visits.

[quote name='Lionheart']I see this problem we are having. Gavin, I'm leaning towards giving them extra free time or the suggestion of adding extra-curricular activities. Sirius, I do agree with the rules regarding the schedules. If though we can't work out a balanced schedule for the students, maybe we should drop it like you say and just set dates for the Quidditch matches and the Hogsmeade visits.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]We'd probably need to work out some kind of timetable for each year to prevent people posting about being in whatever class they please, just to the sake of streamlining everything.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]We'd probably need to work out some kind of timetable for each year to prevent people posting about being in whatever class they please, just to the sake of streamlining everything.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I don't know... Does it really matter? Now that I think of it, consistent and strict schedules would only do more damage to the enjoyability of the game than really give anything to it. So what if people post about participating to the DADA class almost every day? Or if students from different years happen to go to the same class some time? What's a little inconsistency compared to a flowing, involving story?

If someone's bothered by inconsistency, they can always use this thread to communicate with the other players. "I'm going to a Herbology class with my character next, so those in my year can follow my lead." or "Gryffindor Quidditch practice coming up, so stay away from the training field, other houses!". Wouldn't that work?

[quote name='Sandy']I don't know... Does it really matter? Now that I think of it, consistent and strict schedules would only do more damage to the enjoyability of the game than really give anything to it. So what if people post about participating to the DADA class almost every day? Or if students from different years happen to go to the same class some time? What's a little inconsistency compared to a flowing, involving story?

If someone's bothered by inconsistency, they can always use this thread to communicate with the other players. "I'm going to a Herbology class with my character next, so those in my year can follow my lead." or "Gryffindor Quidditch practice coming up, so stay away from the training field, other houses!". Wouldn't that work?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I suppose you have a point Sandy, my only concern was that we're going to have about fifty DADA classes per week while others are neglected like poor Emily and her History class. If we have timetables then nobody is confused and we get a much more rounded experience. After all people don't have to talk about every single class they had during the day.[/SIZE]

I agree with Sandy.
And Sorry to say Gavin, But teaching history means a career of neglect. Professor Binns hardly got mention throughout the series, so I guess if you want to involve Emily, you should have Professor Corvidae interatcing with her, since he seems to have motive.
It's the same with Arithmancy and Ancient Runes. I'm sure that if they were described in the book as being dull and boring, no one here would really care to post from those classes. As it is, they were all shrouded in mystery, so it gives people the chance to make up (to a certain degree) what the class will consist of. It just comes with the territory and you sentenced Emily to that when you made her the history teacher.
As for a million posts about DADA: I disagree. Just because a lot of people like DADA, that doesn't mean everyone will post about it! That's just rediculous. Personally, my favorite class that was mentioned in the series is Charms, Divination, (taught by Firenze, not Trelawny) Astronomy, and Trasfiguration. So naturally, I'd be posting more about that than the others. Of course, the personality of the character I created requires me to make frequent posts about Muggle Studies...
So, I will try my hardest to get several posts in from each class.
I hope that everyone else will try to stay blaanced as well, but if not, why are you complaining? You get more interaction since Professor Corvidae IS the DADA teacher.

I think at this point, I want to start this thing soon and it seems everyone does also. I like Sandy's point about using this thread to inform and to communicate with everyone what classes their going to do that day. It seems much easier and not strict to kill the fun in the world of Hogwarts.

I'll be starting this thing tomorrow if nobody has objection to that.

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="Green"]2 quick little snippets,

1) Had anybody else considered making Hagrid Head of Hufflepuff house. I think it would make for some very awesome and interesting posts.

2) As far as the class schedules are concerned, I do believe that students partake in 2 lessons of each subject during the week, with a Double day happening either once a week or once every 2 weeks. At least, that how I understood it when I was reading the books.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='dMage'][FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="Green"]1) Had anybody else considered making Hagrid Head of Hufflepuff house. I think it would make for some very awesome and interesting posts.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]While I'm not 100% sure on the intricacies of inter-House politics and positions, I'd imagine the fact he's ex-Gryffindor renders that unlikely.[/SIZE]

[B]dMage[/B], although I'm [I]still[/I] not the gamemaster of this RPG, I found that there's a big problem with your character.

See, this game takes place about 20 years after the Deathly Hallows (and 1 year after the epilogue), so Lupin and Tonk's son Teddy would be 20 in this. So there's no way he could have a 16 year old son, you see? ;D

[quote name='Sandy'][B]dMage[/B], although I'm [I]still[/I] not the gamemaster of this RPG, I found that there's a big problem with your character.

See, this game takes place about 20 years after the Deathly Hallows (and 1 year after the epilogue), so Lupin and Tonk's son Teddy would be 20 in this. So there's no way he could have a 16 year old son, you see? ;D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I noticed that myself, but didn't really feel in the right to point it out. Best leave it to Lionheart to decide Sandy.[/SIZE]