OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]More [B][COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]Coheed and Cambria[/COLOR][/B]! :twitch It's an obession.

I bought [COLOR="darkolivegreen"][B]Good Apollo I'm Burning Star Four: Vol 1[/B], [/COLOR]and it is definitly not the best it could be. But welcome home sure as hell makes up for it, and it is now my favorite song this week. I also give my hat off [COLOR="darkolivegreen"][B]the Suffering[/B].[/COLOR]

Oh and to make DB happy a bit, I almost decided to buy a [COLOR="darkolivegreen"][B]dredg [/B][/COLOR]CD. I couldn't find Co&Ca at first, but ehn I didn. I might buy a Dredg album soon though[/COLOR].[/QUOTE]

Listen to good prog instead. Like [B]Porcupine Tree[/B].

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Honestly, Prem, just cuz you like IKSOSE:3 don't think your music taste will parallel mine. [B]Dredg[/B] is a whole different experience from CoCa. They may be (among) my favorite band, but I'd never consider them appropriate for a ore mainstream audience. Coheed can be a gateway into prog, I guess, but I have no idea if you'll just suddenly enjoy obscure music because of it (it helped for me, but then again I loved the mars volta already before then)

Also, Jake, listening to [B]Porcupine Tree[/B] right now, not hearing anything special >_>

EDIT: As a matter of fact, listened to like 4 songs, and was insanely bored. Decided to go listen to [B]The Sound of Animals Fighting[/B] instead. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Andy'][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]I'm starting to get into this awesome new metalcore band I found, they're called [B]Throwdown[/B]. Yeah, so if you like that kind of stuff, I recommend checking them out.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

They're not new. They've been around since 1997. And they're as mainstream as Green Day.

Also, Porcupine Tree is far, far superior to hack-prog like Dredg or Coheed. You're either listening to one of the few lame songs or you're just listening wrong.

More actual good prog rock: King Crimson, Camel, Yes, Jethro Tull.

[COLOR="Olive"]I love my generic rock, but still it wouldn't hurt, plus I'm sick of listening to the same bands over and over, I get bored very easily. I like Tool , but wal-Mart is the king of censorship, that's why they suck. That and they don't have good music. excpet the ones I have, and Tool, and some other ones. >_>

Throwdown? Never heard of them before. Metlacore is not appealing to me anymore. I still have to delete Bullet for My Valentine, after hearing them awhile, they sound like 12 grandma's screaming into a mic. Or yelling at the dog. >_> In all honeslty BFMV, you might want to try a different genre of rock. I don't think metal is their forte, at all.

I had to burn a coy of Rush: Chroncles for my sister, who LOVES Rush, and I must say they are pretty good. I laugh every time I hear The Trees. Mostly because of the last staza. "The Maples formed a union, and demanded equal ights" it's jst funny >_>

I love obscure music sometimes, and now I'm beggining to get used to it. I wish I could despiher the bleeped lyrics of The Willing Well IV: The Final Cut. It says I'd **** your face in the door, and I'm wondering if it's the F-wiord Claudio's using.

And sorry Jake, but hack-prog? I don't think so.

Which brings me back to BFMV, I think they are hacks beyond hacking.

*searches for info on Porcupine Tree, Jethro Tull, etc.*[/color]

[COLOR="Olive"]I thought it was **** the whole time! It was the only one FYE had in stock, unless I wanted to buy another copy of IKSOSE:3. I don't know about Jethro Tull... >_>

I have ceased to buy all albums at Wal-Mart, until they toughen up and sell both cut and un-editted copies.

Wal-Mart, YOU grind my gears.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Rev, i swear, there's no saving you...

Anyway, listening to [B]Don't Hate Me[/B] by [B]Porcupine Tree[/B]. It's not bad. The last song wasn't either. I know now to not go for anything with a music video, lol. Still, the music is a smidgeon too... i guess I could say not enough is going on. Well, there's a lot going on musically, but not all at once. I've always disliked the slower parts of post-rock and such genres, aiming for the more epic parts (and wondering 'why can't the whole damn song just be epic?) but this stuff is still pretty good. Good eough that I wouldn't mind listening to it, but not enough to be called a favorite or someting. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]@ Jake: Ok, so an assassination is in order if 2007DB says anything bad about the fathers of prog rock that you listed, mmkay?

Seriously, listen to [B]King Crimson[/B] and [B]Yes[/B]. King Crimson has always been considered the black sheep in classic prog for some reason, but I guess thats why they are the best. Yes takes conventional pop structures and spans them out into prog-epics.

[I]Larks' Tongue In Aspics[/I] or [I]In the Court of the Crimson King[/I] are my two album picks.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi'][b]Billy Joel[/b]
[i]We didn't start the fire[/i]

I have no idea what you are discussing, but this is what a thread like this should consist of.[/QUOTE]

Someone with a screen-name such as yours should be listening to [B]Falkenbach[/B] and [B]Moonsorrow[/B].

And Revolver, if you don't realize that Coheed is hack-prog, you just don't know music.

But at least you realize that Bullet For My Valentine are a bland, derivative, banal, stupid band.

And forgive me for asking, but did you just refer to the Mars Volta as 'obscure'?

And thanks for the backup, Billy Shears. Cheers to you.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Honestly, Jake, I sometimess wonder how you can even enjoy music at all whilst beng so judgemental of it :animesigh though I guess I'm one of the 'pretentious bastards' of the forum myself so I can't whine too much. Anyway, I know I should prolly listen to [B]King Crimson[/B] and [B]Yes[/B] since hallf my avorite bands cite them as influences, but I've never brought myself to. Just cuz they're old? I dunno.

EDIT: You know, sitting here listening to [B]Traversing Through the Arctic Cold we Search for the Spirit of Yuta[/B] by [B]Dredg[/B], I can't help but think this is the best damn song ever written.

Actually, I take that back since nothing can ever compete with [B]Not Unlike the Waves[/B] or [B]Falling Snow [/B]by [B]Agalloch[/B]... [/COLOR]

[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi']Never heard of them, and if they are dark and whiny bands like Evanescence then I'd rather not.

Ahh, good song for the morning:

[b]Kansas[/b]
[i]Carry on Wayward Son[/i][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Oh. My. God. [/B]You have discgraced your beautiful Norsemanship T_T

On a side note, [B]Carry on my Wayward Son[/B] is t3h rockz0rz. [/COLOR]

Carry on Wayward Son was cool when it got to Guitar Hero. I never remembered it until I heard it on Guitar Hero. Plus they accented the guitar parts more than in the Album version.

Currently playing on my Car

[B]How Forever Feels[/B]-Kenny Chesney
[B]I Lost It-[/B]Kenny Chesney
[B]Should Have Been A Cowboy[/B]-Toby Keith
[B]Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy[/B]-Big and Rich
[B]Caught in a Mosh-[/B] Anthrax
[B]EVO66[/B]- Wall 5
[B]Breaking the Law[/B]- Judas Priest
[B]Don't Stop Belevin[/B]-Journey
[B]I Wanna Rock[/B]- Twisted Sister
[B]Thunderhorse[/B]- Dethklok
[B]Beast and the Harlot[/B]- Avenged Sevenfold
[B]I Get Money[/B]- 50 Cent
[B]The Way I Are[/B]-Timbaland

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Kansas[/B] is much better at their song, ol. Mostly cuz the GH2 version's singer sounds like the guy from ****ing Panic!.

Oi. Currently listening to [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmhZ6FYoNEs][B]Higurashi no Naku Koro ni[/B][/url] by[B] Eiko Shimamiya[/B], the disturbing and cool dark techno piece that is the opening theme to the identically titled anime. The video is trippy, though the original opening animation is way cooler.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Olive"]****ing Panic! The most generic band I've heard recently, Girls like Boys... >_> I could rant for hours about how much they suck. All the radio rock I lsiten is actually good. I just wish the artists would pick the better songs from their albums. Breaking benjamin has some crappy singles, but other songs, like Unkown soldier for example, are way better. the best so-far is probably Polyamorous. If I remember from an old post by... [spoiler]Jake[/spoiler] *laughs*, he said that Saturate was a little bit intresting. It is true, check his profile.

He does hate BB, BTW; just a little fun-fact.

I actually hate to admit it, but I like The Used. Well, only the Bird and the Worm, cause' that is one of the best songs I've heard on TV. Teenagers brings a new meaning to WTF MCR? I also hate to admit it, but I like Flyleaf's song all around me.

@ JAke: Anyone who even listens to music should acknoledge that BFMV sucks ***. Hell, if you can't admit that, your sanity level is waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy too low.

@ DB: was I ever really worth saving in the first place?

I would buy albums off the net, if my mom would just cough up her card once and a while. I get the money but she says no. Some music I can't even find! Saturate by Breaking Benjamin, could I find that? NO! I'd have to buy it off their site. Non-mainstream music, like Agalloch for example, is nearly impossible to find, unless you buy off the net, or sacrifice yourself to the music gods.[/COLOR]

Right now I'm listening to the soundtrack to Lunar Silver Star Story. This is only the intro to the game of course: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEIURTJKek0"][U]Opening Song[/U][/URL] But I enjoy listening to it as well as the orchestration for the game, or rather the non-singing part since it's a combination of more than simple orchestration. Still it's got a lot of pretty melodies that I enjoy.

[quote name='Odin M Yggdrasi']Never heard of them, and if they are dark and whiny bands like Evanescence then I'd rather not.

Ahh, good song for the morning:

[b]Kansas[/b]
[i]Carry on Wayward Son[/i][/QUOTE]

Hahaha! No, no, no... both those bands are pretty much the opposite of Evanescence. It's epic Viking music. If your heart is truly a Heathen one, as your screenname suggests, you will love this. Here, go to that link and listen to the song "Jumalten Kaupunki": [url]http://www.myspace.com/moonsorrowfinnougria[/url]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Hahaha! No, no, no... both those bands are pretty much the opposite of Evanescence. It's epic Viking music. If your heart is truly a Heathen one, as your screenname suggests, you will love this. Here, go to that link and listen to the song "Jumalten Kaupunki": [url]http://www.myspace.com/moonsorrowfinnougria[/url][/QUOTE]

I'm not really a heathen, roman catholic to be exact. I just like the norse lore and ideas, because of it's fantasy and historic value. So little is actually known about it.

[b]Queen[/b]
[i]Bohemian Rhapsody[/i]

[COLOR="Olive"]Speaking of Halo, ever hear [COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"][B]Blow me Away by Breaking Benjamin[/B][/COLOR]? I've heard it once, and I loved it.

I haven't seen many disturbed fans on OB. But this song Wishbone, was sort of good. SOAD, love these guys. And [COLOR="darkolivegreen"][B]Serj Tankien[/B], [/COLOR]has a new album coming out. It's a solo act, but the two songs I've heard were just great. Just so you knwo, if you don't already, serj is the signer in SOAD. I might pick this one up when it's realeased. But I'm also inticipating the new Co&Ca album.

Well, I'm now listening to [COLOR="darkolivegreen"][B]Ten Speed (of God's Blood and Burial)[/B][/COLOR] by Co&ca. I've also been listening to [COLOR="darkolivegreen"][B]Mudvayne's [/B]song [B]World so Cold[/B][/COLOR], which is the reason I borrowed the album from a friend. All the other songs, I just don't care for.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=BZSKvSz1roQ]Empty Walls[/url] by Serj Tankian. Awesome vid, addicting song. Was stuck in my head all day. Very... 'unique' vocals XD. As always, the lyrics are deep and great. Sound is not dissimilar to SOAD. Also, look up the Serj Tankian Ultimate Interview. It's ****ing hilarious. [/COLOR]